• Announcements

• Robin

Welcome!   03/05/2016

Welcome, everyone, to the new 910CMX Community Forums. I'm still working on getting them running, so things may change.  If you're a 910 Comic creator and need your forum recreated, let me know and I'll get on it right away.  I'll do my best to make this new place as fun as the last one!
ProfessorTomoe

What Are You Ingesting?

3 hours ago, CritterKeeper said:

Yup, rice cookers can cook a lot of different things, and cook them well!  Last novel thing I tried was teff, which is the smallest grain in the world.  Tasted kind of nutty, with a unique texture.

The hard part was that I hadn't used the cooker since my wife was diagnosed diabetic 2-3 years ago. That, and it's a Japanese-made Zojirushi unit. I could barely remember how to turn the thing on.

Mrs. Prof has been away for most of the day (and she ate all of the leftover grits), so I took advantage and ordered a pizza with pepperoni, Italian sausage ... and anchovies. I finally got the chance to order one, and I relished its fishy saltiness. She's still gone, as is the smell of the anchovy. As long as I warn her not to eat the pizza, she'll never know. Mwahahaha!

Not sure what I actually feel like having, but we distracted a very nervous dog with smeared peanut butter to lick, and it certainly made me hungry!  Gotta release a hospitalized pet at 2:30, so it would either be fast food across the street, something from the freezer, or wait until after and be free to go farther afield....

6 hours ago, ProfessorTomoe said:

Cultured Bulgarian-style Buttermilk. Ahhh. Good for what ails ya. Drink it slow and cold. Relaxing. Is there any wonder why Ray Harroun asked for it after winning the very first Indy 500?

I just finished a post about time periods and events that transformed our world and my immediate reaction to this was a confused wondering of how there could possibly have been an Indy race back in 500 A. D. :icon_eek:

11 hours ago, The Old Hack said:

wondering of how there could possibly have been an Indy race back in 500 A. D.

Any number of Native Americans from the Hopewell People might have run around in circles near the White River for no practical purpose.

Why should ridiculous wastes of time and effort in the name of sport or entertainment be restricted to modern society?

11 hours ago, partner555 said:

Ordinary chicken sandwiches. 

This reminds me of a gaffe once committed by some hapless person in the Copenhagen office of tourism. Apparently they were really reaching to find something interesting to say about one of our suburbs. Then someone noted that they had the oldest 'ordinary' housing building in the entire region still standing, probably because inner Copenhagen burned down with depressing regularity during the pre-renaissance period. So they wrote about this in a folder for tourists.

The problem was that the French version of this stated that this was Copenhagen's oldest 'maison ordinaire.' Which unfortunately in French is used as a euphemism for brothel. Not quite what was intended.

20 minutes ago, The Old Hack said:

This reminds me of a gaffe once committed by some hapless person in the Copenhagen office of tourism. Apparently they were really reaching to find something interesting to say about one of our suburbs. Then someone noted that they had the oldest 'ordinary' housing building in the entire region still standing, probably because inner Copenhagen burned down with depressing regularity during the pre-renaissance period. So they wrote about this in a folder for tourists.

The problem was that the French version of this stated that this was Copenhagen's oldest 'maison ordinaire.' Which unfortunately in French is used as a euphemism for brothel. Not quite what was intended.

Cultural and language barriers strike again!

Chicken noodle soup.  At least half the people at work are sick, and one who didn't come in today but was here Saturday has been confirmed to be influenza.  Placeno effect or actual help, it seemed appropriate.

3 hours ago, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:

What should you serve a sick chicken?

Haven't done any poultry medicine since lectures in Vet School umpty years ago.  I've got a formula in the freezer to feed sick psittacines (parrots) and another for sick small mammals (herbivores, anyway), but chickens I'd have to look up.  ;-P

39 minutes ago, CritterKeeper said:

Haven't done any poultry medicine since lectures in Vet School umpty years ago.  I've got a formula in the freezer to feed sick psittacines (parrots) and another for sick small mammals (herbivores, anyway), but chickens I'd have to look up.  ;-P

What do you use to look up chickens? A very bright light?