• Announcements

• Robin

Welcome!   03/05/2016

Welcome, everyone, to the new 910CMX Community Forums. I'm still working on getting them running, so things may change.  If you're a 910 Comic creator and need your forum recreated, let me know and I'll get on it right away.  I'll do my best to make this new place as fun as the last one!
ProfessorTomoe

What Are You Ingesting?

On 8/30/2018 at 1:26 PM, mlooney said:

I forgot how much I really like good lime sherbert.  In other news, the person that set the size of a serving of sherbert has an eating disorder. 12 serving in a 3 pint box? Your kidding.

I've gotten four servings out of a one pint "half baked" occasionally.  Of course, I've also occasionally downed the whole thing in an afternoon.  Typical for me would be three different sittings to eat a pint, less often two sessions per pint.

I bought, sort of on a whim, a 135 gram jar of "Pure Leaf English Breakfast Tea".  Got home and made a pot.

My, that is some strong tea.  Good flavor as well.

Will buy again in a month or so, when this jar is done. 

The day after my foot surgery, I went with my wife to my son's birthday party (actually just the two of us and he and his wife) at a place called Wabi House in Dallas. He turns 32 on Monday, but this was the only day our schedules met (hence the post-op restaurant trip). The place serves ramen and appetizers. Someone online found it for me when I asked about a place that serves takoyaki locally. It had great reviews, so I talked Mrs. Prof into taking our son and daughter-in-law there. She picked the date, but had no idea that I would break my foot a few days before and have surgery the day before. I managed to make it anyway.

The takoyaki got rave reviews from both my son and myself. Mrs. Prof and I both ordered the Spicy Miso ramen, their flagship product. It was excellent - neither of us could finish it all. I had leftovers this morning, and the "better the second day" rule applies in spades with this ramen. Nom.

My son ordered Tonkotsu ramen, while my daughter in law ordered Shoyu ramen. Out of all of us, only my son finished his ramen, along with most of the takoyaki. ;)

Definitely not a cheap place, but worth it for the service and taste. It was even worth collapsing on the sofa after I got my walker put up. Five stars.

2 hours ago, mlooney said:

Starting a 500 degree (f) roast.  In about 3 hours will be eating same.

34 minutes left on my roast and I'm freaking starving here.

8 hours ago, mlooney said:

I have a can of "Cream of Bacon" soup that I think I'm going to try some time today. I'm still not sure about why this exists, but I have to try it.

By it's self it's not all that good, but I have some ideas to try in the morning.

I just bought a tin of Royal Dansk Butter Cookies.

They are expensive, dry, stale, bland, crumbly, and dunking in milk or tea does nothing to improve their texture.

If this is what the Danish Royals actually eat, I can only imagine it is to insure that they do not become too happy.

But a friend of my parents always gave them a big tin of Royal Dansk every year around Christmas, and it wouldn't be right if I didn't bring at least one tin of sugar-coated-pressed-sawdust into the house between Halloween and New Year.

So...Tradition?

I generally like spiced black tea. I got a free single of "Tea of Glad Tidings" from Republic of Tea when I ordered a can of "Assam Breakfast".  Good thing it was free. Will not order. It's not the worst tea I've ever had, but it's damn sure not the best.
3/10

I will soon be ingesting some cloudberry (a.k.a. bakeapple) products from the Dark Tickle company out of Canada. I just finished ordering a bottle of cloudberry sauce and a bottle of cloudberry vinegar (with real cloudberries inside it).

I left them a note, asking if they'd ever get seedless cloudberry jam in stock. I would pay seriously good money for a supply of that, since cloudberry seeds are a major nuisance relative to the heavenly flavor of the berry in which they come.

I take 1 and half teaspoons of sugar in my black tea, along with a splash of milk. Been doing that for about 20 years or more. Why have I been forgetting to put the sugar in today? I've had 4 teas, two of which I forgot to sugar. Sorta starting to worry me.

On 11/23/2018 at 0:08 PM, mlooney said:

I take 1 and half teaspoons of sugar in my black tea, along with a splash of milk. Been doing that for about 20 years or more. Why have I been forgetting to put the sugar in today? I've had 4 teas, two of which I forgot to sugar. Sorta starting to worry me.

Try white tea, it tastes good all on its own so you won't need to hide the flavor by adding sugar or milk at all!  ;-)

50 minutes ago, CritterKeeper said:

Try white tea, it tastes good all on its own so you won't need to hide the flavor by adding sugar or milk at all!  ;-)

I've tried white tea.  It's to bland for me.

Just had another Italian Beef sandwich at the "Chicago Style" pizzeria near my home in Florida.

In the few times I have been to Chicago, I never had an Italian Beef Sandwich, Chicago Dog, or Deep Dish pizza from any of the traditional sources.

So while I like the lean beef sandwich with Giardiniera, how can I be certain that it is really a Chicago Style Italian Beef sandwich?

Something I won't be ingesting: Yak meat.

I ordered 3 pounds of yak stew meat from a place online called The Yak Boys. I was going to use it to make Japanese curry. It took them a couple of weeks to ship. Finally, yesterday, I got notice that they'd shipped via FedEx. It got here about 90 minutes ago, in a box that was bloodstained. I opened up the inner Styrofoam box and found more blood. The packs had thawed, and a couple of them were dripping. They smelled like they had gone bad.

I took pictures of the box and e-mailed The Yak Boys, demanding a reshipment. What I got was a response saying that they normally don't ship less than 10 pounds to my area and that they were sorry that no one had told me (I'd already e-mailed the same guy previously - why didn't he say something then?), so he wouldn't reship unless I bumped up my order to 10 pounds. My only alternative was a refund.

I chose the refund.

So much for yak curry, and so much for The Yak Boys - avoid them, IMHO.

Bacon, done in the oven.  First home cooked meat of the year...

And the cat doesn't seem to care about it one way or the other, unlike her response to ham, for example.

In what human universe is a single slice of bacon a serving? This keeps coming to mind as I make bacon for breakfast and use 4 or 5 slices.

10 hours ago, mlooney said:

In what human universe is a single slice of bacon a serving? This keeps coming to mind as I make bacon for breakfast and use 4 or 5 slices.

1 hour ago, ijuin said:

Probably in the same universe where a "slice" measures four by six inches, like a thin ham steak, and weighs at least three ounces.

That's Canada's food guide where "bacon" is that size. ;)

sliced-canadian-bacon-35-1.jpg