• Announcements

• Robin

Welcome!   03/05/2016

Welcome, everyone, to the new 910CMX Community Forums. I'm still working on getting them running, so things may change.  If you're a 910 Comic creator and need your forum recreated, let me know and I'll get on it right away.  I'll do my best to make this new place as fun as the last one!
ProfessorTomoe

What Are You Ingesting?

Ah yes.

The ever so popular game of how English words do not mean the same thing to any two English speakers.

Today we feature a classic bout between Canada where bacon can be found on the back of the porcine beast, and the other Britannic colonies where bacon is from the belly of said beast.

Went to a meal with the Ethnic Dining group, to Korean BBQ.  It was fun, got to grill lots of meats at the table, tried some new things.  It was pretty busy, which is good for the restaurant but meant getting water glasses filked or more meat was sometimes a bit slow.  There were eight of us at the table and three grilling things along it, so lots of passing things back and forth.  Unfortunately about half the meat options were pork, which I don't like, and while we tried squid and baby octopuses, no one went for weird stuff like Large Intestine.  ;-)

I have joined the rest of the world and acquired an electric teakettle for myself. As a result, I am having more fun than an American ought to be allowed.

For starters, the kettle is a VAVA brand 1.7 liter stainless steel cordless electric kettle with six preset temperatures: 160°F, 175°F, 185°F, 190°F, 200°F, and 212°F (boiling, a.k.a. 100°C). It's got a keep warm function and an anti-"boil dry" preventer. The water level is visible and lit in blue. It was just $43. The first one arrived DOA, but the manufacturer got a replacement out to me very fast and didn't insist on me returning the original unit (I did have to send them a phone video of how it was malfunctioning, however).

Now, no longer do I have to rinse out the Keurig, scrub its nozzles, or set/reset its temperature whenever I want to make a cup of tea, nor do I have to put a pot of water on the stove and boil it when I want to brew up some pu'erh. Fresh water is always at hand, with no worries that I'm going to piss off my wife by forgetting to reset some arcane setting and ruin her morning coffee. All of the things that made me give up making tea for well over a year.

The kettle has allowed me to go back to my tea discovery days, before I got tired of farking around with the Keurig, and I have done so with gusto. I've relearned the joys of a simple cup of wild lapsang souchong. I've re-experienced the wonder of a steeper of dragon pearl jasmine tea as the tiny pearls unwind and expand into intricate shapes, filling the steeper. My smoky lapsang souchong has picked me up and reinvigorated me once again, just long enough to order a replacement supply of the organic version online.

Not all of my tea survived the hiatus, I'm sad to say. My last ball of pu'erh came out smelling like catfish skin, although the taste was actually pleasant. My white tea pearls from Adagio Teas refused to unwind, making them undrinkable. They were consigned to the trashbin.

I have, however, slowly moved back into the land of experimentation. An encounter on the Internet led me to Steven Smith Teamaker, and in particular to his British Brunch blend. It came highly recommended, so I've purchased a flip-top package to see how it stacks up against my Chinese teas.

All of this fun from a $43 electric kettle. Who says Americans can't learn from the rest of the world?

I've run out of milk so I'm drinking my "no milk in the house" hot teas, alternating between Earl Grey and gunpowder green. 

They are both nice change of pace from my normal milky black teas.

Finished an Egg McMuffin® a few minutes ago and then started to think.

Eggs contain Sulphur.  It is one of the essential elements found in almost all terrestrial life.  And in Birds, Sulphur is critical for feather development.

But Eggs do not smell or taste like Sulphur.  At least, not until something goes wrong.

What is the story behind the rotten egg smell?

1 hour ago, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:
2 hours ago, mlooney said:

Gunpowder Green Tea.

My Grandfather took a pinch of Gunpowder in his coffee every morning.

When he died he left behind two children, six grandchildren, and a twenty foot crater in the crematorium.

Just for the record, Gunpowder Green Tea is called Gunpowder because of what it looks like, not due to any explosives used in the making of the tea.

Pasta salad, which I over garlic salted.  And the only low caffeine drink I have is milk, which doesn't go with something with too much garlic salt.  So I'm drinking my next lowest caffeine substance, Gun Powered Green tea.  Which really doesn't go well with over salted pasta.  Actually, I can't think of any thing that really goes with too much garlic salt.

Just now, mlooney said:

Pasta salad, which I over garlic salted.  And the only low caffeine drink I have is milk, which doesn't go with something with too much garlic salt.  So I'm drinking my next lowest caffeine substance, Gun Powered Green tea.  Which really doesn't go well with over salted pasta.  Actually, I can't think of any thing that really goes with too much garlic salt.

I can't remember who it was that said it, but I remember watching cooking shows where the host kept saying that the water for cooking pasta needs to taste like the ocean. Sounds like you went for Dead Sea. ;)

Just to be clear, I put the salt on after it was cooked.  I really like garlic, so I, well, over salted it, forgetting that the stuff I have right now is garlic salt, not dried garlic.

Currently drinking Spiced Purple Maize drink from Aldi. It's a variant on the Peruvian national drink known as Chicha Morada, which is made from boiled purple corn, pineapple, quince, and spices. It takes a glass or two to get used to the unusual taste (along with the fact that you're basically drinking corn), but once you're past the weirdness of it all, you're hooked.

The only problem with it is that it's 70 calories per 8 oz. glass - there's no artificial sweetener in it. It's sugar all the way. I've adapted my enjoyment by mixing it with my Crystal Light Lemon Tea, at about half a bottle per gallon of tea. That cuts it down to around 140 calories a day, and it makes it taste even better.

Next time you're at Aldi, grab yourself a bottle. Put it in the chill chest for a few hours first. Let it get good and frosty - iced down doesn't cut it. Pour yourself a small glass and take a small sip. Be ready to taste something you've never experienced before. If you can make it through the whole glass, you'll probably be addicted, which will be a good thing for your body according to medical studies. Enjoy.

I made grits this morning. Susan, my cat, assuming I was making something she liked went her normal crazy as I was going into the kitchen and back.  I got a phone call while eating the grits. When I returned I found the cat up on the desk with her face in the grits. She didn't seem to have eaten any but she is mad at me now.

Susan, my cat, has not yet figured out that the trips into the kitchen when I have a cup in my hand is the 1st stage of making tea, not the stage when I add milk to it.

She also doesn't quite understand "tea". I poured milk into the cup, it must be milk. She gets very confused when I put the cup down where she can look into it or smell it. Unlike some other cats I've had, she doesn't like tea

9 hours ago, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:

Why do humans ruin purrfectly good milk with that leafy brown water that is too hot and bitter?

I had three cats that liked milky tea.  Of course one of those like tea just in general.

I made my 500 degree roast beef.  This is a 3 pound chunk of meat.  Normally this last me, at least, 3 days.  Not this time.  I've eaten all of it, granted in 3 separate "meals" but they weren't that far apart in time. 

On 6/12/2019 at 7:07 PM, mlooney said:

I made my 500 degree roast beef.  This is a 3 pound chunk of meat.  Normally this last me, at least, 3 days.  Not this time.  I've eaten all of it, granted in 3 separate "meals" but they weren't that far apart in time. 

I've done something similar with the beef from Trader Joe's.  They have a grass-fed hunk of beef which is seasined and sliced and mostly cooked, just have to heat it up in the microwave.  I've been known to get a package that's about a pound, and eat it all in one go.  Yum!

Great, now I want beef.

Next payday grocery run needs to include either a big plastic tub or a large jar of pickles so I have a place to store my almost a years supply of tea bags I bought. At my normal 4-5 cups a day I have 220 - 275 days of tea now. Not sure if this was my wisest choice, but I got PG Tips teabags at 4 cents each, which is a great deal.