• Announcements

• Robin

Welcome!   03/05/2016

Welcome, everyone, to the new 910CMX Community Forums. I'm still working on getting them running, so things may change.  If you're a 910 Comic creator and need your forum recreated, let me know and I'll get on it right away.  I'll do my best to make this new place as fun as the last one!
ProfessorTomoe

What Are You Ingesting?

I just finished a bowl of steel cut oats with 8 oz of cling peaches added.  Given the amount of porridge that one rice maker cup makes, I think I'm going to start adding 2 of the "cups" of peaches to a bowl of porridge.

I'm having Kroger's brand bratwurst this morning. As much as I'd like to say the the local sausages are better, I really can't say that.  These are quite good. 

I <heart> my rice cooker.  Someday I will use it for something other than steel cut oats.  I just finished a large bowl of porridge with 8 oz of  cling peaches added.

I did a frozen Celantro Shrimp and Rice bowl for lunch. Removed from the package, it did not look appetizing; fortunately it cooked up better than it looked. Might do again.

15 minutes ago, Darth Fluffy said:

I did a frozen Celantro Shrimp and Rice bowl for lunch. Removed from the package, it did not look appetizing; fortunately it cooked up better than it looked. Might do again.

Most all in one food bowls look a bit off.  I've given up on expecting a dish to look exactly like the package.

I'm not sure if the goes here or in the Cats and Dogs thread, but as I've been drinking my black cherry soda, EtC  has been following the can very closely.  Not sure if she wants some or if she's interested due to the sound it makes. 

3 hours ago, mlooney said:

I'm not sure if the goes here or in the Cats and Dogs thread, but as I've been drinking my black cherry soda, EtC  has been following the can very closely.  Not sure if she wants some or if she's interested due to the sound it makes. 

That reminds me of a time where I had just gotten a bottle of soda from my fridge and opened it. The bottle gave a loud hiss and my poor old Catso, who was sitting next to me that moment, panicked and fled to the living room because he thought I was hissing at him. I had to find him and reassure him.

2 hours ago, The Old Hack said:

That reminds me of a time where I had just gotten a bottle of soda from my fridge and opened it. The bottle gave a loud hiss and my poor old Catso, who was sitting next to me that moment, panicked and fled to the living room because he thought I was hissing at him. I had to find him and reassure him.

She does startle when the can is opened but calms down almost immediately, then starts paying attention to the can, 

Speaking of cherries ...

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07X5BZ89M

Maraska Maraschino Cocktail Cherries. Not the kiddie cherries that you find on top of a banana split, but real, flavorful, Croatian cherries with a character all to their own. Sweet and sour at the same time, robust - you've got to try them at least once in your lifetime. I'm going to cherish my bottle.

On 5/10/2020 at 8:36 AM, ProfessorTomoe said:

Drinking a mug of illy extra-dark roast coffee with Amoretti kirsch flavor syrup. Lovely cherry coffee taste - not medicinal, no weird aftertaste. Highly recommended.

Amoretti brand is apparently very good, all the pros seem to have a good collection of them.

30 minutes ago, mlooney said:

I had a large bowl of steel cut oat porridge with 8 oz of cling peaches for breakfast.  Really liking the steel cut oats setting on the magic rice machine. 

What brand of rice machine? I've been thinking about getting one. We have a large Asian supermarket (H Mart) and they have half an aisle of them.

1 minute ago, Darth Fluffy said:

What brand of rice machine? I've been thinking about getting one. We have a large Asian supermarket (H Mart) and they have half an aisle of them.

It's a Zojirushi MS-LGC05 that I got off of Amazon because it had the steel cut oats option.  I actually haven't made rice in it yet.  That's on the list of things to do when I make the next 500 degree roast later this week.

3 minutes ago, mlooney said:

It's a Zojirushi MS-LGC05 that I got off of Amazon because it had the steel cut oats option.  I actually haven't made rice in it yet.  That's on the list of things to do when I make the next 500 degree roast later this week.

Let us know how it goes.

Just had an aidelles orange and coriander smoked chicken sausage. It was delicious, highly recommended. I fried it, will attempt to saute the next one as suggested on the package.

(aiddelles was in lower case on the package. in fact is was just about the only thing that was not capitalized.)

I dropped aidelles into Google search and went to the Amazon entry.  Nearly $200 for 16 pounds of the sausage.  That's a bit much to start with an experiment.  :-)

However their website says that my local grocery store carries them.  I'll have a look see next shopping trip.

7 hours ago, mlooney said:

I dropped aidelles into Google search and went to the Amazon entry.  Nearly $200 for 16 pounds of the sausage.  That's a bit much to start with an experiment.  :-)

However their website says that my local grocery store carries them.  I'll have a look see next shopping trip.

I got a four pack (a common size), just checked, it was 12 oz. I paid at most $6, I think $4.50 (sale price).

So:

$2.00 per 3 oz, times 256 oz = $170.67 normal price. $10.67 per lb.

$1.50 per 3 oz, times 256 oz = $128.00 on sale. $8.00 per lb.

I checked my freezer, the only other brand I have on hand is Gilbert's, priced a bit cheaper, but only 10 oz, 2.5 oz per sausage.

It would take me a long time to go through 16 pounds, and I wouldn't want to have to store it. My freezer is full. (I don't have a stand alone, don't have room for it.) I do tend to purchase two four-packs when they're on sale, and forgo them entirely when they are not. Seems strange looking at the numbers that the difference motivates me that much.

I just finished a meal of roast beef (made via the 500 degree method), rice and mushroom gravy.  The magic rice machine made perfect rice and kept it warm until the roast was done (I started the rice a bit early, my bad).  The gravy was the weak spot in the meal as it was generic brown gravy with mushrooms added, but for that it wasn't bad.  I'm going to go lay down as I feel a food coma coming on.

Steel cut oats porridge with cling peaches.  Giving serious thought to laying back down, but that could be digestion talking.

Why does any one eat normal oatmeal when steel cut oats are so much better? Add some peaches and it's just what I need in a morning.

1 hour ago, mlooney said:

Why does any one eat normal oatmeal when steel cut oats are so much better?

Old fashioned rolled oats are a good starting point for granola and oatmeal cookies

But yes, why use them for regular oatmeal?

If you have the time, the steel cut oats are clearly superior

If you are that desperate for speed, you might as well use the instant stuff made of oat fragments and powder