• Announcements

• Robin

Welcome!   03/05/2016

Welcome, everyone, to the new 910CMX Community Forums. I'm still working on getting them running, so things may change.  If you're a 910 Comic creator and need your forum recreated, let me know and I'll get on it right away.  I'll do my best to make this new place as fun as the last one!
ProfessorTomoe

What Are You Ingesting?

“Virgin” olive oil is taken from new olives on their first run through the press (they are subsequently run through again to extract additional oil). “Extra virgin” oil removes the headings and tailings (the very first and last parts of the oil extracted during a run, analogous to the headings and tailings in beer brewing), which are less homogeneous than the rest. This results in a higher-purity oil with the least amount of the olives’ other components mixed in.

6 hours ago, ijuin said:

“Virgin” olive oil is taken from new olives on their first run through the press (they are subsequently run through again to extract additional oil). “Extra virgin” oil removes the headings and tailings (the very first and last parts of the oil extracted during a run, analogous to the headings and tailings in beer brewing), which are less homogeneous than the rest. This results in a higher-purity oil with the least amount of the olives’ other components mixed in.

I still stand by my claim, that if a woman says she's an 'extra virgin', I'm going to pass on the date. She's probably unclear on some concept.

I won't speak sternly to my olives. For one thing, I don't grow olives.

My cupboard has EVOO. And actual preserved olives.

Smoked salmon and cream cheese on a toasted "everything" bagel. I don't think I can call it "Lox on a bagel," since the salmon hasn't been marketed that way. That, and lox is generally served with dill and capers. Still, 'tis quite tasty, whatever the fsck I've got.

6 minutes ago, ProfessorTomoe said:

Smoked salmon and cream cheese on a toasted "everything" bagel. I don't think I can call it "Lox on a bagel," since the salmon hasn't been marketed that way. That, and lox is generally served with dill and capers. Still, 'tis quite tasty, whatever the fsck I've got.

Sounds better than my Swiss cheese and smoked ham on an everything bagel I had yesterday.  I'm now out of bagels, so I'm not sure what I'm having for lunch.  I suspect I'll make cheesy rice.

I seemed to have sleep shopped again.  5 lbs of caramels and almost 5 lb of tootsie rolls.  While a little more than I would normally spend on snacks, I think I'll let them deliver it.

On 2/10/2022 at 8:11 AM, ProfessorTomoe said:

My general take on it is it is 'lox' or 'smoked salmon' depending on who caught it and processed it where. 

"We are out of capers. Would you take escapades?"

Just tried Green Giant Riced Veggies Simply Steam Riced Cauliflower, Broccoli Florets & Cheese Sauce, one pack, 7 Oz. It is a new item, was on sale last night, 4/$5.00, and appeared to be for the most part actual food.

It was pretty damn good. Veggies with enough tasty sauce to complement, very cheesy and not too sweet. It steams in the microwave, and cooks quickly. I may go back tonight and grab some more while the sale is still on.

24 minutes ago, ijuin said:

I still object to “rice” being used as a verb instead of as a noun.

It's not all that new, just being applied more broadly. My mom had a 'potato ricer'. I don't recall her ever using it. I'd guess she tried it once and didn't like the results.

I saw another new thing, dried riced vegetables. Cook like rice, though probably less time. I tend to be suspicious of any intense processing; these looked like being desiccated might have screwed up nutrients.

Last night's dinner was Coq au Vin with Maple Sriracha Brussels Sprouts, courtesy of Wild Fork Foods online service. Ran across them on Facebook, thought I'd give them a try. They're pretty good in what I've sampled so far. Aside from the above, I've had shelled lobster meat and ground yak meat. Both nice.

Jamaican curry chicken over rice with cabbage and beef patty from local Jamaican hole in the wall. Umm, good, but too far to go to regularly. I happened to be in Raleigh.

On 2/20/2022 at 0:29 PM, mlooney said:

I miss having ethnic restaurants other than Mexican.   While Tulsa didn't have a lot of them, it had more than Small City Kansas has.

So many have gone out of business due to COVID. I went to my barber over the weekend, and he was closed, permanently. Sad times.

1 hour ago, Darth Fluffy said:

So many have gone out of business due to COVID. I went to my barber over the weekend, and he was closed, permanently. Sad times.

The one that I cared about, the pho place in town survived COVID, which means we were able to do the semi traditional "Oriental food on Christmas day" thing instead of trying to cook a roast in kitchen way to small to really do it.

28 minutes ago, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:

Although there is nothing like a traditional roast beast on Christmas

To small a kitchen to really do roast beast.  We tried Thanksgiving and Christmas last year.

Just had fried chicken from one of the 5 fried chicken restaurant here in Small City Kansas.   They fry on demand, so when it gets to your table it's still lava hot inside.  Nice garicly batter and really good German coleslaw.  Normally I don't eat my sides first, but the chicken was so hot I needed to let is cool a bit before I could bite into it.

Pears.

I'm on oxycodone, which is an opioid, which has a...stagnating...effect on one's intestinal tract. I've been assured that pears will accelerate their motion again, better thank most other sources of fiber. I'm giving it a try. What the hell, nothing else is working. 

9 minutes ago, mlooney said:

At least it's something tasty, not like, say, kale.  Being on a pear high diet doesn't sound all that bad.

My first D'Anjou pear wasn't too flavorful, I'm sad to say. I bought some Bartlett pears for a comparison, along with some canned no-sugar-added pears..

22 minutes ago, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:

Well, I'm at the same pizza place I was at last week ordering another pizza with mushrooms

I suspect the mushrooms are not responsible for my mental state

Yeah, they don't generally put those 'shrooms on pizza. I guess you could get creative.

3 minutes ago, Darth Fluffy said:

Yeah, they don't generally put those 'shrooms on pizza. I guess you could get creative.

As I understand it, the "magic" in magic mushrooms is destroyed by heat, so unless they are added to the pizza after the fact they will not have any effect.  It's been several decades since I've had any thing to do with them so I could be wrong here.

I tried a Cali'Flour Foods brand Chicken Enchilada Bake 'Tortillas mad with cauliflower' frozen entree. The cauliflower 'tortillas' were tortillas in name and sauce only. They were more like pasta than like baked tortillas. That said, it was tasty. I would avoid this product in the future, but would try  a similar lasagna where the substitution would seem more appropriate.

39 minutes ago, mlooney said:

As I understand it, the "magic" in magic mushrooms is destroyed by heat, so unless they are added to the pizza after the fact they will not have any effect.  It's been several decades since I've had any thing to do with them so I could be wrong here.

You have more experience than I do.