• Announcements

• Robin

Welcome!   03/05/2016

Welcome, everyone, to the new 910CMX Community Forums. I'm still working on getting them running, so things may change.  If you're a 910 Comic creator and need your forum recreated, let me know and I'll get on it right away.  I'll do my best to make this new place as fun as the last one!
ProfessorTomoe

What Are You Ingesting?

15 hours ago, Darth Fluffy said:

You have more experience than I do.

Not that I have a lot of experience with psychedelics, but a little is still more than none.

2 hours ago, mlooney said:

Not that I have a lot of experience with psychedelics, but a little is still more than none.

I saw a preliminary report from my surgery, and found that yet again, I was administered ketamine, albeit this time while asleep. I'm still a bit weirded out that I've experienced that particular drug while conscious. I did not go into that situation with that intent. At least it was a legal hospital situation.

8 hours ago, ProfessorTomoe said:

This was breakfast yesterday. Lox/smoked salmon on an everything bagel with cream cheese and capers. Nom.

LoxBagelCapers03a.jpg

Well THAT really makes up for all the Pace commercials.

Do I need to explain?

11 minutes ago, Darth Fluffy said:

Well THAT really makes up for all the Pace commercials.

I went out of my way to be New York City authentic, down to the nonpareil capers. Very good stuff. My one regret is that I only bought enough salmon for one bagel.

What is the technical difference between lox and smoked salmon, anyway?

Google (or Duck Duck Go) knows all!

The most basic difference between lox and smoked salmon is that smoked salmon is smoked, while lox is not. Lox specifically refers to brine-cured, uncooked salmon, usually from the belly, but ‘smoked salmon’ is a much broader term, and can refer to several ways of preparing salmon. Like lox, it is usually cured or brined, but it may then be covered in spices or a dry rub, before being smoked. This leads to a pronounced difference in flavor, with lox having a much saltier taste, and smoked salmon, as you might have guessed, having a more smoky flavor.

Lox takes its name from the Yiddish word for salmon, laks, and as with most cured or smoked fish, it was originally developed as a way to preserve the fish during transport in the days before refrigeration.  - so I'm guessing lox is kosher, maybe smoked salmon is questionable? "We didn't monitor for substitutions, and nobody blessed the fish' or some such.

Some language feed I read occasionally claimed that laks is one of the oldest known words.

I'm guessing that sushi salmon is closer to lox, not smoked.

I've heard that farm raised salmon is not the beautiful orange-pink color of wild caught salmon, so it is dyed to look more appetizing.

Regarding Pace commercials, I am not aware of a hot sauce that is actually made in New York City, although it seems like it could easily be a thing. Big commercial roots, big market full of Latinos, mostly Caribbean, and large workforce. Also, big food culture with many innovative chefs who might try to create a hot sauce variant.

There is one, Texas Pete, that is made here in North Carolina. It tastes OK, basic red hot sauce, no variants, but it is notably watery.

If I was looking for the deadliest hot sauce, I'd look to New Mexico. They have a research facility dedicated to higher Scoville numbers. That's pretty hardcore.

Only vaguely sorta relevant: "Lox" is also one of the oldest words in the English language. Those who professionally try to figure these things out say that in Proto-Indo-European, circa 4000 BC (or maybe 5500 or 7500 BC depending on which of these experts you ask), it meant "salmon" - and is helpful in figuring out where the people who spoke that language lived, as it obviously had to be a place where they would encounter salmon.

On 4/2/2022 at 5:21 AM, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:

Seattle?

Salmon is not just encountered there. It is reveered

Huh. I was going to say "Sushi bar" and "fish counter at my grocery"

Semi-serious question, does anyone pronounce the 'L' ? I recall the spoken word being sam'-un when I was in school. I think I've heard sal'-mun from time to time as an adult.

("Yes, I pronounce the 'L". I call it lox." There, I said it for you.)

3 hours ago, Darth Fluffy said:

Semi-serious question, does anyone pronounce the 'L' ? I recall the spoken word being sam'-un when I was in school. I think I've heard sal'-mun from time to time as an adult.

("Yes, I pronounce the 'L". I call it lox." There, I said it for you.)

Nope, don't pronounce the L. My ex did however. 

On 4/2/2022 at 4:21 AM, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:

Seattle?

Salmon is not just encountered there. It is revered

In most of the country, I get strange looks from waiters when I order salmon medium rare.

44 minutes ago, Don Edwards said:

In most of the country, I get strange looks from waiters when I order salmon medium rare.

That would be pan seared wouldn't it be?

I got a micro wave bacon dish.  If I go for 2 minutes for 2 slices (cut in half so they will fit) it gives me crispy bacon, almost more than I like.  At 1:30 it makes chewy bacon, but with a little more fat than I like.  Need to get the timing down.  Such is life, forced to experiment with bacon.  It's a hard job, but someone's got to do it.

On 4/5/2022 at 6:50 PM, mlooney said:

Now y'all are making me all hungry for salmon, or any kind of fish actually. 

I love fish. I avoid it any more. Too many complications. The big fish all have mercury. The farmed fish that come from Southeast Asia all have dioxins from Agent Orange breakdown. And so on. Sushi was one of my go to meals, that and shrimp in any form. Sad.

On 5/10/2022 at 11:17 AM, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:

Back at the "Chicago" style pizza place for a pizza with shrooms made in a kitchen with poppy seeds everywhere

From the Northeast; 'Chicago style' and 'pizza' do not go together. It sounds yummy, but it's not pizza.

35 minutes ago, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:

Beef with "Chinese" style veggies

Next time I go shopping I need to get some beef and veggies so I can make stir fry.  I really like it, just I haven't made it in years.  Need to fix that.

I just made a semi major screw up. Got 2 gallons of no fat milk by accident. This is sub optimal. I have some dried heavy cream that I suspect I'll be adding to the milk for my tea. Really not happy.

I made toasted blueberry bagels with raspberry jam on them. Oddly Explorer wanted to lick the jam. She doesn't normally eat human food.