• Announcements

• Robin

Welcome!   03/05/2016

Welcome, everyone, to the new 910CMX Community Forums. I'm still working on getting them running, so things may change.  If you're a 910 Comic creator and need your forum recreated, let me know and I'll get on it right away.  I'll do my best to make this new place as fun as the last one!
ProfessorTomoe

What Are You Ingesting?

11 hours ago, ProfessorTomoe said:

Both of which were on your wish list. Enjoy with your favorite beverage. :P

And the Bodum works perfectly  Glad I've got 2 of the pots so I can make ice tea again.  . 

49 minutes ago, ProfessorTomoe said:

Cheese grits. Not normally on my menu (I prefer butter and salt to cheese as a grits topping), but Mrs. Prof decided to use cheese instead of salt to cut down on sodium per doctor's orders. It was rather good and served the purpose well.

I like a tea spoon or two of sugar on grits, some times with butter, some time with out.

Mrs. Prof either did a serious pantry/refrigerator cleaning while I was out at the hospital, or she ate us out of house and home, because there is very little left in terms of provisions in either location. I went ahead and made myself useful at long last by placing a Walmart+ delivery order today. (Thanks to our new double recliners, she can sit next to me and kibbutz while I shop.) The order for a semi-major restock came to just over $260 American! Good lord.

One of the surprising aspects of the order was shopping for applesauce. You see, I have to take potassium "horse tablets" 4x a day now (they're seriously big - Mrs. Prof has to cut them into 4 pieces for me to be able to swallow them), and the only way to get them down reliably is with applesauce or pudding (applesauce works better). Walmart did not have a decent selection of large jars of applesauce, so I had to order a carton of the expensive single-serve applesauce containers. The only way I could get the jars was via "shipped" order (i.e., 2-3 day delivery), which I took advantage of. Sigh.

40 minutes ago, Don Edwards said:

Question: does anyone actually like arugula?

(From what I've seen, it seems like people eat it because they think the stylish people eat it.)

Yes, mixed in as an ingredient of 'fresh greens' it adds to the flavor profile. I don't think I'd want to eat just arugula. In nay case, dressing covers a lot of issues with any salad mix.

I'm not fond of iceberg lettuce, but I will eat it if it is all that is offered.

I've had some good kale, but I've had some that was tough and bitter as well.

I've also had dandelion salad, very good; it's a regional thing, always with cooked leaves, and covered with sauce. The leaves are probably not good on their own.

I like spinach both as a raw salad and in many dishes (but not the wet goop they served us in school), but I think it's healthier cooked. They have oxalic acid, which leaches calcium. Heat breaks it down. (This is true for many veggies.)

My nominee for 'does anyone actually like <salad>' is raw mustard greens. Very strong flavor, also a hairy texture. Flavor profile-wise, a little bit goes a long way ... if you like mustard. If you don't, then avoid this.

2 hours ago, Don Edwards said:

Question: does anyone actually like arugula?

Yes, indeed. I like the peppery bite that it has. I aim for it and radicchio when I go for a mixed greens salad. Those are especially good with my dressing of choice, Blue (Bleu (take your pick)) Cheese.

7 hours ago, Darth Fluffy said:

I like spinach both as a raw salad and in many dishes (but not the wet goop they served us in school), but I think it's healthier cooked. They have oxalic acid, which leaches calcium. Heat breaks it down. (This is true for many veggies.)

I even like the wet goop version spinach.  With bacon bits and a dash of cider vinegar.

3 hours ago, mlooney said:

I even like the wet goop version spinach.  With bacon bits and a dash of cider vinegar.

Haven't tried it with bacon bits, but I was raised with it mixed with a bit of plain vinegar. Thanks to the Popeye connection, I snarfed it down. Still do, wet or dry, although I never see it wet anymore since Mrs. Prof hates the wet kind.

10 hours ago, Darth Fluffy said:

My nominee for 'does anyone actually like <salad>' is raw mustard greens. Very strong flavor, also a hairy texture. Flavor profile-wise, a little bit goes a long way ... if you like mustard. If you don't, then avoid this.

I have probably eaten this without realizing it. I'll admit, there are very few greens in a bag of Spring Salad mix that I will not readily eat, if any. Moo.

I get 2 bags of mixed salad greens every week when I go to the store.  Each bag is 3 bowls, which may or may not be a day's worth of food.

5 hours ago, mlooney said:

I prefer my spinach fresh rather than canned. It’s just not the same without the crunch.

1 minute ago, ijuin said:

I prefer my spinach fresh rather than canned. It’s just not the same without the crunch.

Yeah. fresh is better, but I'll eat cooked/canned.  

I think I already get enough iron in my diet from the spinach itself. I also like to avoid eating things that are likely to break my teeth. 
:D

2 hours ago, ijuin said:

I think I already get enough iron in my diet from the spinach itself. I also like to avoid eating things that are likely to break my teeth. 
:D

Truth, everything is toxic, it all depends on dose. We need iron, but Americans generally get more than enough, although women need more than men. Too much can damage your liver. You are more likely to get a toxic dose from eating meat, especially red meat, long term than eating spinach long term.

Bagels and jam.  Good breakfast, but I need to find another jam other than raspberry as I'm getting a little tired of it.  Thinking apricot as my ever other day. Maybe cherry.  Not grape!

11 minutes ago, ProfessorTomoe said:

Prickly pear is also quite nice.

Hard to find commercially. Which is a little weird, they'll grow anywhere.

7 hours ago, Darth Fluffy said:

Hard to find commercially. Which is a little weird, they'll grow anywhere.

Easily found on an Amazon search. Also found at any Buc-ee's along the Texas roadsides or other such lucky state's roadsides.

7 hours ago, ProfessorTomoe said:

Cherry FTW. Prickly pear is also quite nice.

Yeah, thinking about getting both apricot and cherry.  That would give me a 3 fruit rotation.

6 hours ago, ProfessorTomoe said:

Easily found on an Amazon search. Also found at any Buc-ee's along the Texas roadsides or other such lucky state's roadsides.

They are a mess to peel, but worth it.