• Announcements

• Robin

Welcome!   03/05/2016

Welcome, everyone, to the new 910CMX Community Forums. I'm still working on getting them running, so things may change.  If you're a 910 Comic creator and need your forum recreated, let me know and I'll get on it right away.  I'll do my best to make this new place as fun as the last one!
ProfessorTomoe

What Are You Ingesting?

On 7/24/2022 at 10:28 AM, mlooney said:

Made a plate of fake crab with "extra hot" cocktail sauce.  Needed to drink some milk while I was eating it.  Still not what I would really call "extra hot".

There was some variety of sauce, wish I could remember the name, that I tried once and reviewed as follows:
"A hot sauce with no heat, used to flavor food but it has no flavor. Why does this exist?"

1 hour ago, Don Edwards said:

There was some variety of sauce, wish I could remember the name, that I tried once and reviewed as follows:
"A hot sauce with no heat, used to flavor food but it has no flavor. Why does this exist?"

I've had some sauces like that.  Most notably when I was in the Minnesota and had "BBQ".  Their sauce was bad, blander than even just ketchup. 

7 hours ago, ijuin said:

Yeah, if the hot sauce has no flavor, then what’s to distinguish it from a simple solution of capsaicin?

In this specific case, the absence of capsaicin.

I didn't eat today, other that a couple of handfuls of cheesites.  So, despite it being well past the time I normally make food (yeah, I go to bed early, I'm old) I'm making some pasta salad.   However I'm trying it with Italian salad dressing and olives, instead of the normal ranch or blue cheese dressing I normally make.  Let y'all know how it is in 30 minutes or so.

16 minutes ago, mlooney said:

I didn't eat today, other that a couple of handfuls of cheesites.  So, despite it being well past the time I normally make food (yeah, I go to bed early, I'm old) I'm making some pasta salad.   However I'm trying it with Italian salad dressing and olives, instead of the normal ranch or blue cheese dressing I normally make.  Let y'all know how it is in 30 minutes or so.

It was OK.  I think I put just a little to much dressing on it.  Put the rest away for lunch and maybe supper tomorrow.

1 hour ago, mlooney said:

(yeah, I go to bed early, I'm old)

You know you’re getting old when going to bed early feels like a reward instead of a punishment.

I had an Insomniac Waffle at Meeple's Brew. It is a basic waffle with all kinds of coffee flavored accoutrements; coffee syrup, coffee whipped cream, and coffee bean candies. Not at all a healthy lunch, and I'd better not make it a habit, but a couple times a year seems OK.

Afterward, I got a 26 oz Breakfast Roast (light roast) at Sheetz. I'm definitely awake atm.

I've timed out my pain meds long enough so that I can enjoy a glass of The Glenlivet 12-year-old Double Oak Cask. I'm currently enjoying the hell out of it. Served in a small parabolic glass,  one jumbo ice cube for minimal melt.

I bought it on a trip to Total Wines with my son. He's a self-professed non-whisky-drinker, but he tried this and he was impressed: enough so to start drinking it.

Lemon is something I add only immediately before dumping the drink down the drain and washing the glass. Or dumping the food in the trash and washing the dish.

9 minutes ago, Don Edwards said:

Lemon is something I add only immediately before dumping the drink down the drain and washing the glass. Or dumping the food in the trash and washing the dish.

I normally use lime instead of lemon, but there are some places where lemon is good.  On white fish for example.

2 hours ago, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:

In Florida, sweet tea is usually too sweet.

Of course it's sweet.  It's brown liquid sugar.  I end up putting about half a cup of sugar in a liter of ice tea (while it's still hot, so it dissolves).  That about 6 time the amount I put in hot tea.

Had an interesting sandwich for lunch, a patacon, the 'bread' was basically slices of plantain. Wasn't bad, but I would not rush our and get it again.

Just made a box of ranch pasta salad. As I don't normally have mayonnaise I use ranch dressing. And then I add the packet of ranch dressing flavoring that comes with the salad. So, yeah, I have ranch dressing with my ranch dressing. I ate about half of it so I have ready to eat food tomorrow.

Food eaten. Going to lay down now.

4 pork chops in mushroom gravy over rice. Had some gravy and rice left over, of tomorrow is covered as well.

On 11/13/2022 at 3:45 PM, mlooney said:

Food Theory shows that my way of making black tea is correct. With Science!

Rather disappointing.

1) only one variety of tea tested (I'm a bit of a tea snob: my regular tea is pu'erh, currently a brick from the 2008 harvest, but for special occasions I have a brick from the 1968 harvest)

2) their time test used only 1, 3, and 5 minutes, and then decided that 3 minutes is optimal - without testing any even or non-integer number of minutes

3) no second-cup time tests (I expect a minimum of 3 good cups from a teaspoon of pu'erh leaves; I assure you that for the second cup, a minute of steeping is much longer than necessary)

----

Here's why not to boil your water in the mug, in the microwave - which they briefly touched on but didn't explain: the inside surface of the glass, china, or glazed ceramic mug is too smooth. The water can super-heat - above boiling - because there are no microscopic irregularities for the vapor bubbles to start forming on. Then you drop in some sweetener or a teabag, or otherwise bring that water into contact with something not as smooth as glass, and it starts boiling everywhere all at once - which bears a passable resemblance to an explosion, and throws above-boiling-hot water in all directions.

I've actually had this and it's not as bad as it sounds like it might be.  Not my preferred way of drinking Dr. Pepper, but I wouldn't turn it down when it's cold out. 

unknown.png