• Announcements

• Robin

Welcome!   03/05/2016

Welcome, everyone, to the new 910CMX Community Forums. I'm still working on getting them running, so things may change.  If you're a 910 Comic creator and need your forum recreated, let me know and I'll get on it right away.  I'll do my best to make this new place as fun as the last one!
ProfessorTomoe

What Are You Ingesting?

Just had a cup of Tanzanian Peaberry coffee via the Keurig, with real cream and Equal sweetener. Hoping it'll bust me out of my slumber with just the right amount of wham!, without knocking my kidneys over the Batter's Eye in Minute Maid Park in Houston a la Yordan Alvarez in game six of this year's World Series. My body can only handle so much boost at the moment.

I just made myself a pan seared steak.  Oiled pan, 2 1/2 minutes first side, (covered), 2 minutes 2nd side also covered, with a dash of worcester sauce on it. Came out pretty close to perfect.

Wurst lunch ever! I do that frequently, but don't add sauce nor cut the sausage up, unless I'm adding it to something else, like rice. I like Gilbert's chicken sausage flavors. I have a new one, Ancho Queso in the freezer.

Curry Wurst is my go to "I don't feel like cooking but I want hot food" dish. 

• Fill frying pan about 2/3 of the way full with water. 
  • Put on high heat.
  • Place 2 or 3 wurst in the pan. 
  • Set timer for 10 minutes. 
  • Come in and remove wurst when the timer goes off.  

Optional: Come in at 5 minutes and flip the links.

Finished a box of Harris Teeter Cranberry Almond Harvest Cereal. I guess that makes me a cereal killer. Added nuts and berries.

Had coffee, then some EL Monterey breakfast taquitos (egg, bacon & cheese) and a tomato salad for lunch.

I ate, over the course of 3 hours, 9 slices of bacon.  Plus 2 glasses of milk, in addition to my normal 3 mugs of black tea with milk and sugar.

2 hours ago, ijuin said:

Ooh, Cranberry almond sounds yummy.

It is, and it is better than most of the branded cereal on the shelves. They also have raisin pecan.

About to have Italian food delivered tonight. Mrs. Prof will be having Chicken Piccata with extra capers, whilst I will be having Penne Vodka with shrimp. That is, as long as the order placing system doesn't go fubar like the first attempt did. We tried to place an order through Grubhub, but the restaurant we ordered from turned out to be closed when the driver arrived there. Had to cancel and order from a different restaurant.

4 hours ago, ProfessorTomoe said:

About to have Italian food delivered tonight. Mrs. Prof will be having Chicken Piccata with extra capers, whilst I will be having Penne Vodka with shrimp. That is, as long as the order placing system doesn't go fubar like the first attempt did. We tried to place an order through Grubhub, but the restaurant we ordered from turned out to be closed when the driver arrived there. Had to cancel and order from a different restaurant.

Penne Vodka, hold the penne, ... :P

The food arrived promptly and in good shape. It was quite good. I ordered a side of sauteéd mushrooms to go with our food. They worked quite well with my dish - layer one shrimp, one penne vodka, and one mushroom. Ingest. Enjoy the sensation.

I have leftovers. They will be enjoyed in due time.

17 hours ago, ProfessorTomoe said:

Would that be the tea you got for Christmas? I'm curious as to how it tastes.

As it happens, no, but I've had it before.  It's a stronger, very slight bitter tea.  It taste like you brewed it longer that 4 minutes, but doesn't have quite the tannin that you would get from most tea and a longer brew.   It's my go to tea if I'm not making a pot of tea.

I mentioned "special chile con queso" in another thread, so I thought I'd better document it here in case someone wanted to try it. I've saved this off as a Word document in case you want a permanent copy. Just DM me and I'll send it to you. This makes a 3-quart pan full of the stuff.

Lee Jackson's Special Chile con Queso

Ingredients:

• 1 loaf Velveeta cheese, cubed
  • 6 to 8 oz. shredded Mexican blend cheese (Kraft is what I use - store brand is ok)
  • 1 pint milk (whole preferred, don't use skim)
  • 1 can Ro-Tel tomatoes (Mexican or Hatch variety preferred, otherwise get regular)
  • 1 small can chopped green chiles (Hatch brand if you can find them)
  • 1 small serrano or jalapeño pepper, seeded and diced
  • 1 clove garlic, peeled and chopped fine
  • 2 tbsp. chile powder
  • 1 tbsp. ground cumin
  • 1 tbsp. Mexican oregano flakes, crushed fine
  • 2 tbsp. oil (olive oil ok, vegetable oil of your choice is fine for sautéing)

To prepare:

In a 3-quart saucepan, heat oil over medium heat until shimmering. Add serrano or jalapeño pepper and garlic and sauté until lightly brown.

WARNING - this next step will create what my wife calls "pepper gas," which may cause eye watering and coughing. You might want to turn on your oven fan for this and/or wear a mask, but don't skip it, because it really adds to the flavor of the dish.

Add the chile powder, ground cumin, and Mexican oregano flakes to the oil and sauté briefly, moving rapidly so that the spices do not burn. When things start looking dry, add the can of chopped green chiles. Sauté until the liquid dries out somewhat. Finally, add the can of Ro-Tel tomatoes and stir to incorporate all the garlic, peppers, spices, and chiles.

Bring the Ro-Tel mixture to a boil. Add the shredded Mexican blend cheese and mix until slightly incorporated, not fully melted. Add cubed Velveeta carefully to the mixture and stir until it begins to "cheese over" (i.e., it begins to look more like smooth cheese than it does like a conglomeration of stringy stuff). Stop stirring and add milk (add less than a pint if you want a thicker queso, but try the base recipe first). Turn heat down just below medium and start stirring non-stop (don't dare stop stirring, or you'll burn it) until everything is melted and all lumps are gone.

Serve with tortilla chips, as a dip or over the top of the chips – your choice. A thousand and one uses otherwise.

1 hour ago, mlooney said:

Making queso is the only thing Velveeta is good for.

Any cheese-adjacent application where meltability is as important as taste can be assigned to Velveta.

If melting is more important than flavour, try Government cheese.

That's why I supplement the Velveeta with some real shredded cheese - it adds flavor.

The recipe is on the border of being complex, without being too complex. Otherwise, I'd have figured out a way of not using Velveeta at all.

Seriously, someone please try this and tell me what you think.

Fried chunks of various types of "meat" from a foam box with a sweet sauce that has almost no determinable sour component and some egg rolls with mustard from my neighborhood Chinese take out restaurant.

Still better than the nuggets from the land of the clown.

I just whipped up a batch of smoothies for Mrs. Prof and myself. Contents:

• 1 1/2 cups of Dole Frozen Tropical Smoothie Mix
  • 2 cups of Crystal Light Lemon Iced Tea, prepared
  • About 1-2 cups of fresh strawberries, blueberries, and blackberries from an Albertson's fresh fruit pot
  • The innards of one large, fresh dragonfruit

Add everything to a blender and blend until it's a smoothie. Nom.