• Announcements

• Robin

Welcome!   03/05/2016

Welcome, everyone, to the new 910CMX Community Forums. I'm still working on getting them running, so things may change.  If you're a 910 Comic creator and need your forum recreated, let me know and I'll get on it right away.  I'll do my best to make this new place as fun as the last one!
ProfessorTomoe

What Are You Ingesting?

I made pork chops this morning, but made more than I could eat in one setting.  So I fridged them, thinking, it's OK I'll eat them cold.  I like cold steak, so I should like cold chops.  This is not the case.  While I ate them all, cold pork chops are Not Okay,

Empanada place near me changed hands during COVID, thankfully did not go under, so many good places folded. This is the second time Sarah's Empanadas has a new owner since they opened; Sarah has not owned it for years.

The food was good, but the nationality of the owners changes, and the style of empanadas change with it. Anyway, I enjoyed mine. One Cubano empanada, based on the sandwich; was good but the ham overwhelmed the pork, they used a lot of mustard; it tasted like it needed sauerkraut, which I don't think they use. The second was spinach and cheese; prior Sarah's had this item, the new one was different, runnier, bigger bits of spinach, not tasting as cheesy, although the cheese was there. I also had tostones, which were good. They had good sauces provided; on the order of salsas. I had a lemonade; it may have been a mix, not sure. A bit disappointing, based on my expectations from past visits to the old ones. I'd still go back, but not as soon.

Several Indian (south Asian) places folded during COVID. I have one reliable one near me, not the greatest, but not bad. There is a new Tijuana style Mexican place in what used to be a sushi bar (and before that, dim sum). I like that place; it's kind of sketchy looking, but the food and service is good.

Drinking a cup of 100% Kona coffee, courtesy of my Keurig machine and Fresh Roasted Coffee's quick mail-order delivery service. Quick, and free delivery, but not cheap Kona. For a box of 24 Keurig capsules, I paid $44 and change. Fortunately, it's turning out to be worth it.

Had lunch at the food court in (Korean grocery store chain) H Mart; has Pork Bulgogi, Bought food there, there. The produce was in good shape. I'm getting a bit fed up with the local Harris Teeter branded Kroger in that regard. Could not buy everything I needed there, and I don't know what half their stuff even is, but it was a worthwhile venture to go there.

Seems it's National Tea Day in the UK.  Even though I'm an American, I'll celebrate this by having about 2 liters of hot tea today.  Wait.  I do that most days.  Not sure what else I can do...

The restaurant had All-You-Can-Eat pancakes.

After my second stack, the waitress asked if I wanted a refill.  I asked if I could wait a little while.  She said "of course".  So I told her I would be back Thursday.

She thought it was a joke.

1 hour ago, Darth Fluffy said:

Just had an avocado.

Gross.  Avocados are one of the few veggies I don't like.  Them and eggplants. Not liking avocados makes ordering sushi a bit tricky in Small City Kansas as there are too many rolls with avocados in them, and ordering one with out avocados is problematic at many of the places that have sushi here. 

36 minutes ago, mlooney said:

Gross. 

Nah, just one. 144 is way too many.

37 minutes ago, mlooney said:

Avocados are one of the few veggies I don't like.

I like guacamole, I liked slivers of sliced avocado, but at home I sometimes get one avocado and slice it in half, then scoop out the insides. I can only do one; any more and they spoil too fast.

I find them cool and refreshing, but very filling. I think it's a lot of calories per avocado. I go a long time between purchasing them.

42 minutes ago, mlooney said:

... one of the few veggies I don't like.  Them and eggplants.

If you only dislike two veggies, you are doing good. Most of my (adult) kids are pickier than that. I had several I hated, but I've found that I like almost anything if it is prepared well. A few I am loosing my taste for; I liked broccoli more as a kid than I do now.

I've had eggplant I didn't like. Most middle eastern dishes that use eggplant are pretty good, in my opinion, and I've even cooked eggplant I can eat; I wouldn't say it was great. There are different kinds, something we don't see much of in the US, and you might like some of the varieties.

With a list like that, I'm surprised you didn't mention okra and zucchini.

48 minutes ago, mlooney said:

Not liking avocados makes ordering sushi a bit tricky in Small City Kansas as there are too many rolls with avocados in them, and ordering one with out avocados is problematic at many of the places that have sushi here. 

I hear ya. It's still weird, because avocado is definitely not a traditional sushi ingredient. Still, it has become a standard ingredient.

I no longer consume vast quantities of sushi. Seafood as assorted relatively recent issues. I had some with my grand daughter a month ago, but generally avoid it.

6 hours ago, Darth Fluffy said:

It's still weird, because avocado is definitely not a traditional sushi ingredient. Still, it has become a standard ingredient.

It looks like wasabi, but doesn't burn the mouth.

8 hours ago, Don Edwards said:

It looks like wasabi, but doesn't burn the mouth.

I keep a tube of wasabi in the fridge for sandwiches. Use it occasionally.

18 hours ago, Darth Fluffy said:

With a list like that, I'm surprised you didn't mention okra and zucchini.

As it happens I really like both okra and zucchini. 

48 minutes ago, ProfessorTomoe said:

Can. Not. Stand. Okra.

Slimy, detestable seed pods. Yuck.

Have you tried it battered and deep fried?  Not slimy that way.  Sorta crunchy in fact.

35 minutes ago, mlooney said:

Have you tried it battered and deep fried?  Not slimy that way.  Sorta crunchy in fact.

I have given okra every possible chance, when you consider than Mrs. Prof loves the stuff. Fried, pickled, boiled on top of black-eyed peas, you name it. I cannot get it past my tongue. None of the techniques that are supposed to get rid of the slime do it sufficiently for me. Urgh.

On the other hand, I managed to get Mrs. Prof to eat rhubarb the other day. The noosa yoghurt company makes a strawberry-rhubarb yoghurt. She has claimed to dislike rhubarb. I got her to try this variation, and she found it edible - not spectacular, and not good enough to ask for it on a regular basis, but edible. I was surprised.

I like fried breaded okra. The process does seem to adequately deal with the sliminess. Pickling as well, although I suppose it depends on the process and the brand. I've had it other ways that weren't horrible, like Cajun gumbo. But I've also had some served that I couldn't eat, too disgusting.

I've grown okra, and fair warning, like zucchini, there's no such thing as 'a little okra;. Three plants cranked out more than we could use, and you have to pick it constantly, it gets woody and inedible (more inedible) on the plant. I don't recall what we did with it, but it must have been passably edible. I recall we used it up.

Rhubarb is not particularly edible, and the plant is toxic. The leaf stems can be boiled like crazy, mixed with lots of sugar, and helped along with other flavors, as you mention. I don't think there's any great benefit to it, but yes, it can be passably tasty, if not exactly in it's own right. My mom grew some and did stuff with it.

I hated zucchini, but have had it prepared well, and mostly sort of like it. One trick is to pick it young and small (the zucchini, I don't think the picker's age matters that much). The flesh is firmer, or at least more consistent. It has very little of its own flavor, and needs help; cheese and sauce are both good.

I disliked beets as a kid; they were always canned, and always too sweet. Fresh beets can be done well; I particularly like roasted.

I have also learned to appreciate their musical connection. "Give me some beets boys, and free my soul. I wanna get lost in your rock and roll, and drift away . . " It has also been documented that they are an enduring vegetable, that has long been around. "The beet goes on, the beet goes on. The beet goes on, and on, and on ..." There are even songs dedicated to preparing beets for consumption. "Turn the beet around, love to hear percussion; turn it upside down, love to hear it, love to hear it . . ." Some, of course are pure out and out praise of the beet. "I like beg beets, I cannot lie . . ."

I made a pot of tea this morning, as is my usual want, but I let the kettle cool to much, to 201 (F). The resultant tea just taste wrong some how. Almost a papery taste to it. My second mug of it I put 3 tea spoons of sugar in and a little more milk than normal. Now it taste weak. I'm not going to make the normal 3rd cup and will pour the remainder out and use tea bags for the next couple of mugs. Will make sure that the water is at 212 for them