• Announcements

• Robin

Welcome!   03/05/2016

Welcome, everyone, to the new 910CMX Community Forums. I'm still working on getting them running, so things may change.  If you're a 910 Comic creator and need your forum recreated, let me know and I'll get on it right away.  I'll do my best to make this new place as fun as the last one!
ProfessorTomoe

What Are You Ingesting?

28 minutes ago, ijuin said:

I prefer strawberry jam, but otherwise that sounds yummy.

Strawberry is my #2 choice.  If all I have handy is grape, I skip the jam/jelly part and add a little more sugar or a touch of vanilla

I got a bag of blood oranges at Trader Joe's and brought them to work a couple of days ago.  Just had a second one, and the bag is noticably flatter now, so it looks like others are finally giving them a try.  I like helping others discover new tastes!

Either your coworkers are discovering new tastes, or you have coworkers who will eat anything vaguely food-like that is left unguarded.

I don't care if you are self employed and faithfully stick to a strict diet.  There is a coworker in your organization who will eat anything vaguely food-like that is left unguarded.

5 hours ago, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:

Either your coworkers are discovering new tastes, or you have coworkers who will eat anything vaguely food-like that is left unguarded.

I don't care if you are self employed and faithfully stick to a strict diet.  There is a coworker in your organization who will eat anything vaguely food-like that is left unguarded.

Does your definition of "left unguarded" include "left on the shelf which is specifically dedicated to food which everyone is welcome to eat"?

Hmm....

I think I have a counter-example.  I once bought a seaweed-based chip thing, also from Trader Joe's.  It was labeled as if it were edible, and came in crisp green chip-like pieces which certainly looked like they could be edible.  However, everyone who tried to eat any of it couldn't get past the first touch to the tongue, and many couldn't even get past the smell.  It was like they took everything which is icky about fish, but none of what's good about it, and concentrated it times a hundred.  The most disgusting "food" ever, and everyone was in agreement about it.

Just had a pint of Harviestoun's "Old Engine Oil" Black Ale. Interesting stuff from Scotland. I'm not thrilled by the aftertaste, but it's good on its way down. The aftertaste is a bit too much like bitter black coffee, but it's tolerable. Should have had a snifter instead of a pint glass for it, though. It'd be good for multiple pints, since it's only 6% ABV.

About to have microwave chicken & pasta.

And tea.

Because my sleep cycle, at this time, is not mainstream, I am starting a 500 degree roast,  of course it will be 2 and half hours, roughly before I will be actually ingesting, but that's the plan.

[edit]
I really need to work on not doing comma splices.

[edit 2]

I tried adding 5 minutes to the 500 degree part.  That just about made it perfect.  Given the size of the roast, that is going to be my go to meal for the rest of the week.  About 2 or 3 slabs1, with some sort of side dish makes a fine meal.

1Not thin enough to call a slice.

Just finished the last of my current roast.  Now drinking a cup of PGTips tea.  Listening to WTF is wrong with you, in full on migraine postdrome.

Please world, don't harsh my mellow until at least Friday.

6 hours ago, mlooney said:

Just finished the last of my current roast.  Now drinking a cup of PGTips tea.  Listening to WTF is wrong with you, in full on migraine postdrome.

I think my favourite episode so far was the one where White House security decided to tighten the defences. By keeping the front door locked when it wasn't in use.

I am certain this isn't nearly as idiotic as it sounds. At least, I hope it isn't. But at the time I heard this, I laughed and laughed.

4 hours ago, mlooney said:

About to go to Nelson's Buffeteria, which, at least when they were down town, had the best chicken fried steak in Tulsa. That might very well mean they have the best chicken fried steak in this spiral arm of the galaxy.

Had it.  Still as good as it was before the move.

Aldi, the German supermarket chain that has stores in the US now sells some cookies that are dead on "clones" of Girl Scout cookies.  This is good, because for the first time in many years I'm not working some place where the mother/father/aunt/uncle of a girl scout is also working.  I got the "not Samoas" and of course the "not Thin Mints".  Both, other than size near identical to their girl scout versions.

2 hours ago, mlooney said:

Aldi, the German supermarket chain that has stores in the US now sells some cookies that are dead on "clones" of Girl Scout cookies.  This is good, because for the first time in many years I'm not working some place where the mother/father/aunt/uncle of a girl scout is also working.  I got the "not Samoas" and of course the "not Thin Mints".  Both, other than size near identical to their girl scout versions.

Could you check the ingredients for me?  If they have nothing "partially hydrogenated" and no "high fructose corn syrup" then they may be a rebranding of the ones I was talking about, Aldi is famous for that sort of thing.

7 hours ago, CritterKeeper said:

Could you check the ingredients for me?  If they have nothing "partially hydrogenated" and no "high fructose corn syrup" then they may be a rebranding of the ones I was talking about, Aldi is famous for that sort of thing.

Nope.  Has the HFCS. 

Just polished off a couple of pieces of Pizza Hut pizza. Main toppings: garlic/Parmesan sauce, beef, meatballs, mushrooms, and red onions.  No tomatoes, and NO PINEAPPLE.

And Old Engine Oil Black Ale. With a tea chaser.

Feels like dinner will actually stay down tonight. Lucky! (Still calling the doctor Monday, though.)

13 hours ago, ProfessorTomoe said:

Just polished off a couple of pieces of Pizza Hut pizza. Main toppings: garlic/Parmesan sauce, beef, meatballs, mushrooms, and red onions.  No tomatoes, and NO PINEAPPLE.

And Old Engine Oil Black Ale. With a tea chaser.

Feels like dinner will actually stay down tonight. Lucky! (Still calling the doctor Monday, though.)

Why is there soo much hate over pineapple on pizza? The Hawaiian pizza is an amazing Canadian invention!!

:D

KVASS beer from JesterKing Brewery in Austin. Very, very interesting stuff. Advertised as a "farmhouse ale," it's a one-off brew (I got part of batch #1 of 1) that is made using Old World techniques. From their website, they used well water, malted barley from Blacklands Malt, malted rye, hops, and 140 pounds of Miche Bread in the mash, plus a mixed culture of brewers yeast, native yeast, and native bacteria in the fermentation. The result is a low-alcohol beer, at 3.4% ABV.

It's a golden brew, somewhat cloudy, that doesn't "hit" you anywhere. Everything is well-balanced, easily drinkable, and goes down without any bitterness that would otherwise make you run for a glass of water. Compared to my experiment with the Old Engine Oil black ale, it's vastly better. You can down a whole bottle (just under 2 pints) without feeling boozed-up.

If you can find the stuff, grab it before someone else does. Quite remarkable.