• Announcements

• Robin

Welcome!   03/05/2016

Welcome, everyone, to the new 910CMX Community Forums. I'm still working on getting them running, so things may change.  If you're a 910 Comic creator and need your forum recreated, let me know and I'll get on it right away.  I'll do my best to make this new place as fun as the last one!
ProfessorTomoe

What Are You Ingesting?

42 minutes ago, mlooney said:

No, it's not a money issue, I have no space to put one in.  My kitchen is so small I've done things like move the coffee machine to my bedroom.  I could, in theory, put a microwave in the part of the living room right next to the kitchen, but there is a serious lack of electrical plug in that area. 

Heh.  I'm currently watching a house-hunting show focusing on Tiny Houses.  A few days ago, someone posted about gypsy caravans with some pictures of the interiors.  For an incorrigable pack-rat like me, it's fun to picture downsizing to the bare minimum, but the shows always help remind me by the end just how many down sides it has, too.

Still, it seems like they're very good at finding nooks and crannies that would usually go to waste, or smaller versions of normal appliances and conveniences.  I didn't even know you could get a single unit that acts as a washer and a dryer!  Boats are also a great place to find tiny but functional stuff.  That said, I have no idea how the prices compare for tiny appliances and such.

The main constraint on the size of a microwave oven is that the cooking compartment be large enough to hold the dish of food, unless you wish to have your choice of dishware constrained by what will fit your microwave.

5 minutes ago, ijuin said:

The main constraint on the size of a microwave oven is that the cooking compartment be large enough to hold the dish of food, unless you wish to have your choice of dishware constrained by what will fit your microwave.

There are some issues with how small you can make a magnetron in the one kilowatt range due to over heating issues, plus there is the problem with wave length.  There is a reason why almost all microwaves have the same vertical size, plus or minus about 10% of each other. 

Pizza with sausage and onions

I don't like rain, or snow, or hail, Or Moby Dick, the great white whale, But, mmm, I love onions.
I don't like shoes that pinch your toes, Or people who squirt you with a garden hose.  But, mmm, I love onions.
|:Onions, onions, la la la. Onions, onions, ha ha ha. Root toot doodle-ee-oot doot doo doot.:| Yeah!
The onion is a tuberous vegetable and is a member of the genus stinkus delicioso. It was highly prized by the ancient Egyptian pharaohs, and their friends and cousins. They cause watering of the eyes and rubifaction of the skin, but it is very, very tasty.

17 hours ago, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:

I don't like rain, or snow, or hail, Or Moby Dick, the great white whale, But, mmm, I love onions.
I don't like shoes that pinch your toes, Or people who squirt you with a garden hose.  But, mmm, I love onions.
|:Onions, onions, la la la. Onions, onions, ha ha ha. Root toot doodle-ee-oot doot doo doot.:| Yeah!
The onion is a tuberous vegetable and is a member of the genus stinkus delicioso. It was highly prized by the ancient Egyptian pharaohs, and their friends and cousins. They cause watering of the eyes and rubifaction of the skin, but it is very, very tasty.

Garlic is for sweethearts,
That's what the angels sing,
So you don't look stupid when that meshuggenah Cupid
Makes you give her a ring.
If garlic-breath kisses don't chase her off, this is
No doubt the real thing,
Garlic is for lovers,
Like onions in the spring.

Garlic is for lovers
Who get really kissy-face.
Garlic is for lovers
Who don't need breathing space.

(from the great Tom Smith back when he was putting out new albums frequently)

Tonight I cooked steak & lobster-tails. Some interesting things:

1) A 1.41-pound package of bacon-wrapped beef tenderloins. How many steaks in a package that size? Answer: two. I wanted the answer to be four or six. Between the two of us, we couldn't finish off two lobster-tails and the smaller steak. The larger one is in the freezer.

2) First time in quite a few years that I've cooked lobster tails. And the best job I've ever done. I put some butter in a ramekin, added spices (salt, pepper, smoked paprika, cinnamon), and put it in the oven with the broiling steak until the butter clarified. In the meantime I split the shells and skewered the tails lengthwise to keep them from curling. When the butter was ready I pried the shells open and spooned the seasoned butter inside. (Then looked at the ramekin, added more butter, and put it back in the oven so we'd have enough to dip the lobster in.) When the steak had 5 minutes left I put the tails in the oven as well, then when the steak was done I took it out and moved the tails to that location for another five minutes.

3) The steak had a weak spot and, while cooking, split from the edge nearly a third of the way across. The result was a heart-shaped steak. On Valentine's day.

3 hours ago, Don Edwards said:

The steak had a weak spot and, while cooking, split from the edge nearly a third of the way across. The result was a heart-shaped steak. On Valentine's day.

1. The heart shaped steak is sweet and happy accident.  I wish my cooking accidents turned out that well.  Last one I had resulted in a grease fire in the oven.  Less than optimal.
  2. Recipe noted for possible future use.

A slice of toasted bread, cut in half. One half has clotted cream, while the other has Devon double cream. Both have cherry jam. Nom.

I know I'm committing a heresy when it comes to the classic cream tea, but I've nary a scone in the house.

On 2/6/2017 at 8:49 PM, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:

Do we need to inform the United Nations?  We will want international inspectors to  ensure that all the bananas are being used for power generation and medical procedures.  There will be extreme sanctions if they find even one weaponized plantain.

Er...

*scraps plans for nuclear bananarang and goes back to drawing board, muttering and grumbling*

18 minutes ago, The Old Hack said:

Er...

*scraps plans for nuclear bananarang and goes back to drawing board, muttering and grumbling*

Speaking of bananas, I have found on life hack that really does work.  It's easier to peel a banana from the non stem end.  Got that from Mental Floss.

34 minutes ago, mlooney said:

Speaking of bananas, I have found on life hack that really does work.  It's easier to peel a banana from the non stem end.  Got that from Mental Floss.

I have never had trouble peeling bananas from the stem end, just break the skin at the base of the stem with your thumbnail and pull the stem back.

4 hours ago, mlooney said:

Are you mad? Don't you know that it has an at least 40% bigger chance of setting off a fissile reaction in the bollocking thing? O.O

Just had a pound of Siegi's beer bratwurst.  They have whole mustard seeds in them which is a nice little spicy surprise when you pop one of them in your teeth.  Glad I have another package of them in the fridge.

Since it's February, I wore shorts and walked over to the "Chicago Style" pizzeria for a Vienna Beef hot dog Chicago Style (mustard, pickles, peppers, neon green relish, and celery salt on a steamed poppy seed bun).  Also had a  Caprese salad.

Then I kept walking over to the Aldi for milk and stopped at McD on the way home for a Shamrock Shake.

February is such a miserable month.

1 hour ago, CritterKeeper said:

We've had highs in the sixties the past several days, so you really aren't all that special today, Pharaoh!  ;-)  :-P

Yeah, it's 74 here.

On thread topic:
Bratwurst and Dr Pepper.

As a side note, Reasor's is  great example of how a small town store can expand to be a major force in the local market. High quality product, employee owned and used locally produced items as much as possible.  Between then and QuikTrip (aka QT) it shows that "local" chains don't have to be pits of disrepair.   And QT shows that gas station convenience stores don't have to be scary places.  And that they can in fact have fresh healthy food that would not give pause to eat.