• Announcements

• Robin

Welcome!   03/05/2016

Welcome, everyone, to the new 910CMX Community Forums. I'm still working on getting them running, so things may change.  If you're a 910 Comic creator and need your forum recreated, let me know and I'll get on it right away.  I'll do my best to make this new place as fun as the last one!
ProfessorTomoe

What Are You Ingesting?

Yesterday, I got, at the weird "we import weird food items from the UK and eastern Europe" store, I got a kilo of full leaf Ceylon OPA tea.  It came in a plastic sealed bag.  I didn't think it all the way through, however, in that it wasn't designed to be resealed.  After much moving stuff out of  containers I manged to get it all under seal for storage.  Need to mark the sugar canister that has tea in it, instead of sugar or it might get weird in the wee hours of the morning, if I haven't had my first blast of caffeine. 

Ah, yes, storing loose-leaf tea.  Tiesta comes in canisters or resealable plastic "refill" bags and much as I love the canisters, I mostly get the bags now, because I can get excess air away from the tea better.  I'm still mostly drinking white, with the occasional green.  Many of them have other flavorings added, to greater or lesser degree, something I don't see nearly as much with black teas.

3 hours ago, CritterKeeper said:

Ah, yes, storing loose-leaf tea.  Tiesta comes in canisters or resealable plastic "refill" bags and much as I love the canisters, I mostly get the bags now, because I can get excess air away from the tea better.  I'm still mostly drinking white, with the occasional green.  Many of them have other flavorings added, to greater or lesser degree, something I don't see nearly as much with black teas.

With exceptions of Lapsang Souchong and Earl Grey I don't like "flavored" black teas, and I agree with Professor Elemental about herbal teas.

Now, when I say "Oo," you say "long!"
Oo! (long!)
Oo! (long!)

When I say "Herbal," you say "No, thanks!"
Herbal? (No, thanks!)
Herbal? (No, thanks!)

[spoken:] Hm, no. No, I want--I want milk in it. Strong, though--I want to see that spoon stand up!

If you're tired of tea then you're tired of life
Hah! I'm madder than a hatter and it fires my mic
Liken to me to Earl Grey, Assam, or Ginger
Lapsang Souchong, raise my pinkie finger!

More about non transforming tea.

Something I need to keep in mind. A "teaspoon" of long leaf tea isn't the same amount of tea as a teaspoon of smaller kinds of tea. Actually I need to use two teaspoon full to get the right strength of tea.

‪#‎teageekproblems‬.

18 hours ago, CritterKeeper said:

A good black pu-erh is different. You WANT air. In fact you want air circulation.

Of course, if you drink white/green tea, a black pu-erh is probably not your next step. It's more for people who find ordinary "black" teas somewhat lacking in substance.

53 minutes ago, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:
2 hours ago, mlooney said:

Something I need to keep in mind. A "teaspoon" of long leaf tea isn't the same amount of tea as a teaspoon of smaller kinds of tea. Actually I need to use two teaspoon full to get the right strength of tea.

1s this one of those culinary situations where, if you really want to do it right, you need to skip volume measurements altogether and break out the scales?

Or use to taste based on experience.

The basic situation here is, how much of your volume measure is actually filled with air? Large components can trap big air pockets that a powder would fill in. (Sometimes, typically with liquids, the problem is how much volume is affected by temperature - which is why aircraft fuel is measured by weight, not volume.)

It's more of a "you can put more weight in sand in a gallon bucket than you can with chunks of quartz rocks."  Lots of air pockets and most of the leaves are almost as long as the bowl of the spoon.

Rice with strawberry perserves.  Not quite as good as with raspberry, but strawberries aren't as good as raspberries to start with, so there is that.  Way much better than with grape jelly.

Fun fact.  I didn't know they still sold jam/jellies/preserves in jars that could be used as a drinking glass after you were done with the fruit and sugar stuff.  I know this was common in the 1960's and before but I thought it died out.

1 hour ago, mlooney said:

Fun fact.  I didn't know they still sold jam/jellies/preserves in jars that could be used as a drinking glass after you were done with the fruit and sugar stuff.  I know this was common in the 1960's and before but I thought it died out.

in the 1970s, all the juice glasses in my house were former processed cheese spread jars.  My personal favorite as an eight year old was the mild cheddar with pimentos.  I think there was also one with nuts.

As for what I'm ingesting now?  A&W root beer.
The label says "Since 1919" and I think that's how long the can has been sitting in my refrigerator.

For the sophisticated beverage drinker:

IMG_1825.gif

2 hours ago, Scotty said:

For the sophisticated beverage drinker:

IMG_1825.gif

Those are cool, but the one's I'm talking about don't have the screw on parts.  They use a "snap on" lid.  Which is a real pain in the sitting parts to get off if your left hand is ganked.  And they don't respond well to the "break the seal and pop goes the weasel" thing that most lids do.

54 minutes ago, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:

When I become President, this will be the glass ware for all state dinners.

I support this platform.

1 hour ago, The Old Hack said:

You're already the Pharaoh. Just use it anyway.

Thing about being a Pharaoh though, is they're limited to using canopic jars.

40 minutes ago, Scotty said:

Thing about being a Pharaoh though, is they're limited to using canopic jars.

Nonsense. These guys INVENTED pottery. They had a bigger selection of EVERYTHING imaginable in clay. I'm amazed they haven't sued Apple for the iPad yet, they came up with pad and stylus millenniae before Steve Jobs even was a mad gleam in his own eye.

Just broke my "every meal I eat has rice as part of it" thing I've had going on. Just had roughly a pound and half of pork steak.

I have another brick of pig in the fridge thawing out. Once that's done I'll be making Gulasch.

Ashley (cat, not EGS character) is acting weird about the bits I put down for her.  I know she likes, it but right now she would rather have lactose free milk

Attention! The pork has been eaten. You may resume normal internet activity at this time

Edited by mlooney
Post action report

Just broke my "every meal I eat has rice as part of it" thing I've had going on. Just had roughly a pound and half of pork steak.

Pre-cooked or post-cooking weight?

I have another brick of pig in the fridge thawing out. Once that's done I'll be making Gulasch.

Hmm, I don't think that's how we spelled that one in my family, but now I'm thinking too hard about it and am not sure how we *do* spell it....

Ashley (cat, not EGS character) is acting weird about the bits I put down for her.  I know she likes, it but right now she would rather have lactose free milk

When I did a preceptorship at a small zoo, the vet's office was right next to the tiger paddock.  There was even a door with a very heavy mesh door behind it, so we could open the solid door and have nothing between us and the tigers but that mesh.  Sometimes we'd open the door and let Boris and Natasha watch what we were doing.  Now, the zoo had a Children's Zoo section with a little farm, and a local farmer had agreed to lend the zoo a litter of piglets, and then take them back when they were getting too big, as long as we'd neuter the males while they were at the zoo.  So, we anesthetized the boy piglets, with Natasha watching curiously, and removed the unwanted parts....which the vet then proceeded to offer to the tigers, tossing them through the gap under the mesh door.  Natasha sniffed them, but turned up her nose and left them uneaten.  At the time, we joked that maybe she was keeping kosher.

So maybe it's just that cats don't like pig? ;-)

6 hours ago, CritterKeeper said:

Pre-cooked or post-cooking weight?

Hmm, I don't think that's how we spelled that one in my family, but now I'm thinking too hard about it and am not sure how we *do* spell it....

When I did a preceptorship at a small zoo, the vet's office was right next to the tiger paddock.  There was even a door with a very heavy mesh door behind it, so we could open the solid door and have nothing between us and the tigers but that mesh.  Sometimes we'd open the door and let Boris and Natasha watch what we were doing.  Now, the zoo had a Children's Zoo section with a little farm, and a local farmer had agreed to lend the zoo a litter of piglets, and then take them back when they were getting too big, as long as we'd neuter the males while they were at the zoo.  So, we anesthetized the boy piglets, with Natasha watching curiously, and removed the unwanted parts....which the vet then proceeded to offer to the tigers, tossing them through the gap under the mesh door.  Natasha sniffed them, but turned up her nose and left them uneaten.  At the time, we joked that maybe she was keeping kosher.

Pre cooked, roughtly.  They didn't shrink that much however.

That's the way it's spelled on the German Knorr package.

She's eaten it before.

6 hours ago, CritterKeeper said:

I actually heard that pork is unhealthy for cats or at least housecats. Mind you, I am not going to tell a veterinarian her job, I don't like to sound stupid -- it's just what I heard. I may have internalised this due to not ever seeing any sort of cat food with pork in it, at least here in Denmark.

Which is kind of odd now I think about it when you think of how much pork Danes eat. You'd think we'd share it with our cats. *scratches head*

27 minutes ago, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:

A "salad" that consists of assorted cold cuts, onions, peppers, cheese, vinegar and oil.
I was eating for five minutes before I hit lettuce.

You know you're supposed to mix the salad before you eat it, right?

;)