• Announcements

• Robin

Welcome!   03/05/2016

Welcome, everyone, to the new 910CMX Community Forums. I'm still working on getting them running, so things may change.  If you're a 910 Comic creator and need your forum recreated, let me know and I'll get on it right away.  I'll do my best to make this new place as fun as the last one!
Scotty

Story, Friday September 2, 2016

http://www.egscomics.com/?id=2234

Nanase did tell Edward that the vampires are possibly organized right?

Granted, Edward probably is right that vampires won't actively seek out potential vampire hunters and feed on them, but that doesn't mean they won't jump at the opportunity should they happen to get close to one.

Panel-by-panel analysis.

Panel 1: Probably a good idea to tell those people, then. Also Nanase and Edward are about the same height (depending on what shoes they're wearing).

Panel 2: Probably a good idea to not wander around at night.

Panel 3: Probably a good idea to not wander around with a target painted on your back.

Panel 4: Probably a good idea to avoid the thing that might kill you.

Panel 5: Probably a good idea to stop digging yourself into a hole, Edward.

Panel 6: Probably a good idea to see my previous point.

Commentary: Probably a good idea to draw Diane in a sheep dog form.

So she has normal human vulnerabilities.
 - Don't wander around isolated places alone at night.

A young or weak vampire would not see her as any more or less of a threat or a meal than any other ordinary human.

A slightly more capable vampire might notice that she is a threat.
 - On this one, she has a slight advantage.

The smartest vampires will see her as a future potential threat who is weak now.

I'm probably going to have to draw Diane in a sheep dog form now.

Will she be paired with the Damien Fire Sheep or the Ashley Mareep?

Sounds like they've both got good points, here.  That's often the toughest kind of argument to be in.

I'm still curious whether Mr. Verres already knew about the Other Side of the World.  And whether Wolf and Cranium did, too, or whether it's been considered top secret (until now, when it'll be all over YouTube).

And which of them will bring up the Alternate Universe Double explanation first.  Surely someone will remember about Lord Tedd eventually?  Or will it be up to Tedd or Grace to bring that up?

56 minutes ago, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:

Will she be paired with the Damien Fire Sheep or the Ashley Mareep?

Probably not, but I hope she does not end up looking like Sam Sheepdog.

Yet I could say that Diane is not sheepish when it comes to these times of peril.

42 minutes ago, Aura Guardian said:

Maybe Mr. Verres should find someone to teach Diane to be a full hunter?

You mean like his ex-wife?

Greg's training would help, but what Diane really needs is Immortal help. Know of any Immortals hanging around?

As long as panel-by-panel analysis is on the table, here's my version:

1. Nanase asks for help protecting Diane. Edward tells her the most he can do is tell the right people that there are vampires about. Kind alike that "security monitor" in that commercial you've seen a million times by now saying all he can do is say "There's a robbery." They have basically the same facial expressions, and their arms are hanging.
  2. Edward now  has both eyebrows raised in a sort of "nothing I can do" signal while he gives suspiciously superficial advice. We can't see Nanase's face.
  3. Now Nanase is leaning forward in a similar posture and expression to the image of the vampire behind her. Nanase shoots Edward's previous assertions down in flames.
  4. Edward's arms are folded, his shoulders thrust back. Here it becomes apparent that he's not really facing Nanase, suggesting that he's being evasive. He's tog a one-eyebrow-up flag for "Listen to me, I know more than you."
  5. Nanase's the one with arms folded now. Her anger has cooled somewhat, but once again she refutes Edward's evasive arguments. Both Edward's eyebrows are high up again, and he's using a much weaker gesture, the "but I have another point" finger in the air.
  6. Nanase makes her stance and expression stronger by narrowing her eyes. Edwards face is slack and his arms hang down as he makes a final futile protest.

Picture Edward at the end of any argument with Noriko.

51 minutes ago, CritterKeeper said:

Sounds like they've both got good points, here.  That's often the toughest kind of argument to be in.

I'm still curious whether Mr. Verres already knew about the Other Side of the World.  And whether Wolf and Cranium did, too, or whether it's been considered top secret (until now, when it'll be all over YouTube).

And which of them will bring up the Alternate Universe Double explanation first.  Surely someone will remember about Lord Tedd eventually?  Or will it be up to Tedd or Grace to bring that up?

The Lord Tedd plot is more or less permanently on hold last I heard.

7 minutes ago, partner555 said:

Maybe not. Sirleck seems to be particularly well-hidden and well-connected. Bringing in Lord Tedd--or, more likely, getting General Shade Tail to bring in Lord Tedd--might be a pretty darn good way to bring hell down on Moperville, wouldn't it, now?

The second I read Nanase's final remark about "the most intelligent and best with magic" put Sirleck in my mind.

And if Edward didn't know there were vampires about until this Sunday morning, it's extremely unlikely he knows about Sirleck.

7 minutes ago, Tom Sewell said:

Maybe not. Sirleck seems to be particularly well-hidden and well-connected. Bringing in Lord Tedd--or, more likely, getting General Shade Tail to bring in Lord Tedd--might be a pretty darn good way to bring hell down on Moperville, wouldn't it, now?

I doubt Sirleck is that well-connected. Besides, General Shade Tail and Lord Tedd give me 'final boss' vibes. I imagine it will be a while before we get back to them in a meaningful fashion. Just foreshadowing, reminders, and other little nudges.

50 minutes ago, Tom Sewell said:

As long as panel-by-panel analysis is on the table, here's my version:

1. Nanase asks for help protecting Diane. Edward tells her the most he can do is tell the right people that there are vampires about. Kind alike that "security monitor" in that commercial you've seen a million times by now saying all he can do is say "There's a robbery." They have basically the same facial expressions, and their arms are hanging.
  2. Edward now  has both eyebrows raised in a sort of "nothing I can do" signal while he gives suspiciously superficial advice. We can't see Nanase's face.
  3. Now Nanase is leaning forward in a similar posture and expression to the image of the vampire behind her. Nanase shoots Edward's previous assertions down in flames.
  4. Edward's arms are folded, his shoulders thrust back. Here it becomes apparent that he's not really facing Nanase, suggesting that he's being evasive. He's tog a one-eyebrow-up flag for "Listen to me, I know more than you."
  5. Nanase's the one with arms folded now. Her anger has cooled somewhat, but once again she refutes Edward's evasive arguments. Both Edward's eyebrows are high up again, and he's using a much weaker gesture, the "but I have another point" finger in the air.
  6. Nanase makes her stance and expression stronger by narrowing her eyes. Edwards face is slack and his arms hang down as he makes a final futile protest.

What Edward is basically saying here is, yes the vampires are a problem, not much he can do about it beyond telling the right people. Yes Diane is at risk while there's vampires around, but then so is everyone else, see first statement.

1 hour ago, Aura Guardian said:

I'm really hoping that Monday's page will have Edward giving Nanase some advice on how she can go about helping Diane, Edward has to have been taking note on how well Nanase has developed as not only a magic user, but as someone who would do whatever it takes to defend people. Even though things didn't go well with him and Noriko, but knowing her family line, he probably sees that Nanase has the same potential.

2 hours ago, CritterKeeper said:

I little suspect that Nanase started with important things like Diane (and vampires) first and didn't get to the "other side of the world" issue yet. And BTW, no, it wouldn't be on YouTube. Immortals, yes, griffins, yes, but the explanation about other side of the world was just for Elliot.

2 hours ago, CritterKeeper said:

Probably. Note that there are multiple alternate universes - likely infinite number - so Diane may be from different one than Lord Tedd.

2 hours ago, Tom Sewell said:
2 hours ago, Aura Guardian said:

Greg's training would help, but what Diane really needs is Immortal help. Know of any Immortals hanging around?

Actually, person most qualified to teach Diane is Adrian Raven. Although Greg's training would help too, sure.

Marking her will give her immediate weapon and a way to train more efficiently, but she would STILL benefit from someone helping her with training.

Picture Edward at the end of any argument with Noriko.

... now I pity him.

1 hour ago, Tom Sewell said:

Sirleck would be stupid to hand Moperville to Lord Tedd. Neither Lord Tedd nor General Shade Tail have reason to help him. It would be much smarter to ask Pandora for help.

Yes, I know asking Pandora would end up badly for him. That's EXACTLY why I said it.

1 hour ago, Drasvin said:

I doubt Sirleck is that well-connected. Besides, General Shade Tail and Lord Tedd give me 'final boss' vibes. I imagine it will be a while before we get back to them in a meaningful fashion. Just foreshadowing, reminders, and other little nudges.

Not sure how much "final", but yes: the fight - or "fight" - with Lord Tedd will make main eight remembering the good old simple days when they didn't had anyone worse to deal with than Damien and Pandora. He will not be sidequest to Magic Reset story. Magic Reset story is sidequest to him.

(Also, yes, I doubt Sirleck knows about Lord Tedd.)

56 minutes ago, Scotty said:

I'm really hoping that Monday's page will have Edward giving Nanase some advice on how she can go about helping Diane,

Maybe he will just mention that they should train her to be sure, but that it will be to slow to help with the immediate problem.

1 hour ago, partner555 said:

Oh, I didn't mean the plot would come back, that was only an example of the multiple realities with alternate versions of people, one which I was sure Mr. Verres was aware of.  Ellen's second life experience would be another possible example.  Someone has to bring up the possibility of Diane being an alternate universe double, or I'll end up thinking less of the characters and the comic -- not a lot less, but a little.

46 minutes ago, Scotty said:

What Edward is basically saying here is, yes the vampires are a problem, not much he can do about it beyond telling the right people. Yes Diane is at risk while there's vampires around, but then so is everyone else, see first statement.

Considering what Edward did to Abraham, a mage that came close to killing a half-immortal, I think there's a lot more Edward could do and his niece knows it. He barely restrained Nanase on New Years Eve and that was just about telling Tedd the truth about his mom. Maybe Edward's attitude here has more to do with not wanting Nanase to follow the same path as his wife than concern about Diane, someone he's only met once very briefly.

24 minutes ago, Tom Sewell said:

Considering what Edward did to Abraham, a mage that came close to killing a half-immortal, I think there's a lot more Edward could do and his niece knows it.

... are you suggesting Edward would be doing bodyguard to Diane?

Sure, he wouldn't have problem killing aberration in direct fight, but he may not be so good in tracking them. Meanwhile, there may be someone in DGB who actually specializes on this and would be available.

6 minutes ago, hkmaly said:

Sure, he wouldn't have problem killing aberration in direct fight, but he may not be so good in tracking them. Meanwhile, there may be someone in DGB who actually specializes on this and would be available.

2 minutes ago, Tom Sewell said:
9 minutes ago, hkmaly said:

1) She wouldn't be available.

2) I consider DGB US-based organization. Noriko likely isn't employed by it anymore.

3) They likely have more than one person like that. Noriko is just the best they had.

2 hours ago, hkmaly said:

but the explanation about other side of the world was just for Elliot.

Nanase was there too, she knows about it.

Considering what Edward did to Abraham, a mage that came close to killing a half-immortal, I think there's a lot more Edward could do and his niece knows it. He barely restrained Nanase on New Years Eve and that was just about telling Tedd the truth about his mom. Maybe Edward's attitude here has more to do with not wanting Nanase to follow the same path as his wife than concern about Diane, someone he's only met once very briefly.

1 hour ago, hkmaly said:

DBG wouldn't likely assign anyone to be Diane's bodyguard or trainer, for one, they'd pretty much say the same thing Edward said about Diane's chances of being attacked again compared with the chances of anyone being attacked, the most they could do is have someone investigate the vampire situation itself, and two, Edward is the head of paranormal diplomacy, not really a position that would allow him to allocate resources, and not a position that would allow him to handle Diane himself. What Edward did to Abraham is certainly an indication of his power, but it also got him in a lot of trouble with the organization so I don't expect him to do anything that could get him in more hot water. The best, and probably inevitable thing to do anyway given how the comics been going, is have the Main 8 will take care of Diane.

4 hours ago, partner555 said:

4 hours ago, Drasvin said:

Based solely on my understanding of milspeak, what Edward told Elliot during the evil monkey/Elliot turned into a girl episode, Lord Tedd is dead.

I, of course could be wrong

1 hour ago, mlooney said:
6 hours ago, Drasvin said:

Based solely on my understanding of milspeak, what Edward told Elliot during the evil monkey/Elliot turned into a girl episode, Lord Tedd is dead.

I, of course could be wrong

I might not be too knowledgeable on milspeak, but it doesn't seem like they've eliminated him. More like they are investigating the hows and whys and such of Lord Tedd's attack. Also there's way too much build up to the Lord Tedd situation (the goo, Tedd's dreams, Nioi giving Ellen those second life dreams with her own dewitchery clone with the express purpose of setting up a relation for the eventual confrontation, the similarity of Tedd's gauntlet) for the issue to just be swept under the rug off-screen. It would just be a big narrative waste. More likely the threat of Lord Tedd has been put on the backburner until the story is farther along.

8 hours ago, Zorua said:

Panel 1: Probably a good idea to tell those people, then. Also Nanase and Edward are about the same height (depending on what shoes they're wearing).

Yes. Considering that Nanase admits to being five feet four inches, if she isn't wearing shoes higher than his, then Edward is not more than five feet seven. Now we know where Tedd gets his shortness genes from.

relevant link

Edward does seem somewhat callous and uninterested here, which is contrary to his normal behavior. I'm not saying he normally radiates great concern, but he does usually make things happen. Perhaps now that the main eight have all reached early adulthood, he is trying to test them a little, see what they can do, see which ones will make good recruits.

After all, he doesn't know that the vampires and Colonel Sanders are linked. He might be thinking that the Main Eight should be able to devise a way to protect their friends from a few vampires while DGB goes about cleaning them out, and he wants to see what they do.

Note that I don't know if I believe this hypothesis myself.

52 minutes ago, Xenophon Hendrix said:

Perhaps now that the main eight have all reached early adulthood, he is trying to test them a little, see what they can do, see which ones will make good recruits.

I think Edward would want to avoid pushing them too hard though, Adrian apparently did that with him and Noriko and look what happened there. Edward wouldn't want to have that repeated with Tedd and Grace especially. I can see him being an advisor to the kids, insure that they at least know what to expect when it comes to magic and the paranormal, and if any of them happen to show interest in doing what he does, he'll guide them onto that path. I don't see him being all "this is what you were given and this is where you're going to go with it."