• Announcements

• Robin

Welcome!   03/05/2016

Welcome, everyone, to the new 910CMX Community Forums. I'm still working on getting them running, so things may change.  If you're a 910 Comic creator and need your forum recreated, let me know and I'll get on it right away.  I'll do my best to make this new place as fun as the last one!
Sign in to follow this  
Howitzer

NP: Friday, September 2, 2016

16 hours ago, Drasvin said:

Or it could be the thin threads of Pandora's morality acting up again.

1 hour ago, hkmaly said:

And yes, morality, although I don't think that would be so big problem for Pandora. Not that she would be so evil, more like she wouldn't consider giving spells to kid evil (possibly with exception of destructive spells).

This is also quite possible, Pandora maybe chaotic and a bit unstable, but she still thinks of the children. For adults it's "They're old enough to know better, if they abuse the gifts I give them then all the more fun for me."

1 hour ago, hkmaly said:

No, I don't believe that. Because the idea that requirements for marking someone with desire-based spell is to not notice natural affinity makes no sense.

I read that panel "part of one's nature can easily prevent spells fitting of another part if the latter isn't a natural affinity" as saying if Ashley's natural affinity was for transformation spells, it wouldn't matter how good natured she is, Pandora would be able to grant her access to those transformation spells. So I also see that applying to if Ashley had an affinity for non transformation spells, Pandora would be more likely to mark her based on that affinity.

Pandora curses name base affinity in the case of Catalina because it prevents Pandora from giving Catalina spells that might be more fitting. If name based affinity can do that, natural born affinities could do that as well. In the case of Sarah, there's probably a loophole that if the affinity isn't detectable, then the next best fit would apply, which would explain why Jerry could have given her a desire based spell and not be blocked by an affinity he can't see.

1 hour ago, Scotty said:
3 hours ago, hkmaly said:

No, I don't believe that. Because the idea that requirements for marking someone with desire-based spell is to not notice natural affinity makes no sense.

I read that panel "part of one's nature can easily prevent spells fitting of another part if the latter isn't a natural affinity" as saying if Ashley's natural affinity was for transformation spells, it wouldn't matter how good natured she is, Pandora would be able to grant her access to those transformation spells.

Certainly. It, however, doesn't say anything about no longer being able to be marked with good-based spells.

1 hour ago, Scotty said:

Pandora curses name base affinity in the case of Catalina because it prevents Pandora from giving Catalina spells that might be more fitting. If name based affinity can do that, natural born affinities could do that as well. In the case of Sarah, there's probably a loophole that if the affinity isn't detectable, then the next best fit would apply, which would explain why Jerry could have given her a desire based spell and not be blocked by an affinity he can't see.

Hmmm ... true, based on that name based affinity CAN block other spells. Although "gets in the way" is not necessary absolute and it is possible there still may be multiple options, as long as the alternative is "strong" enough.

Of course, Catalina Bobcat not only have strong name based affinity, she also LOOKS as similar to cat as human can (and maybe more, looking at her canines) and sometimes shows cat-like behaviour. And probably doesn't have that much desires. So, unless that is CAUSED by her name-based affinity, I would say that just because Catalina can't be marked with anything else doesn't mean name based affinity ALWAYS prevents other marks.

Meanwhile, Sarah's affinity was considerably weaker than her desire. Until she sabotaged that desire by thinking too much.