• Announcements

• Robin

Welcome!   03/05/2016

Welcome, everyone, to the new 910CMX Community Forums. I'm still working on getting them running, so things may change.  If you're a 910 Comic creator and need your forum recreated, let me know and I'll get on it right away.  I'll do my best to make this new place as fun as the last one!
Sign in to follow this  
Stature

Story Monday September 5, 2016

As a writer, I find Dan's commentary intensely irritating. He is jumping the gun. First of all, to have part two right after part one is no more than pandering to the audience's expectations. One needs to be more bold! I usually don't have my prologue until at least in the middle of part eleven, and in my next planned book I am killing off my protagonist in part three (which comes immediately after part seven, which is the one I traditionally open my books with.)

35 minutes ago, partner555 said:

You know, without the context we readers have, there are many hilarious different interpretations of what Tensaided said.

Yes--the first one coming to mind would be that Susan doth protest too much in claiming that Elliot is not her boyfriend and that they might indeed be giving in to teenaged hormonal excess that often happens when two teenagers who are strongly attracted to each other get some alone time together . . .

I knew it, Tensaided immediately suspected that Susan would be in the know, though I didn't expected him to...I'm guessing he believes Susan is Cheerleadra's sidekick? Did he think Ashley was actually Susan in disguise or something? I mean sure it makes sense that because Susan was the one that mentioned Elliot knows Cheerleadra, Tensaided would think "how would she know that?" which is valid, but he's just making assumptions now.

Awkward Tensaided is awkward. And somewhat funny.

3 hours ago, The Old Hack said:

As a writer, I find Dan's commentary intensely irritating. He is jumping the gun. First of all, to have part two right after part one is no more than pandering to the audience's expectations. One needs to be more bold! I usually don't have my prologue until at least in the middle of part eleven, and in my next planned book I am killing off my protagonist in part three (which comes immediately after part seven, which is the one I traditionally open my books with.)

You're joking, but I know of at least one novel that does this: Lanark by Alasdair Grey. It begins with book three of four. Then comes the prologue and book one. Also, the epilogue is four chapters before the end. There's probably more books that do this, telling a story in a non-linear way is a staple of today's fiction after all.

26 minutes ago, Sweveham said:

You're joking, but I know of at least one novel that does this: Lanark by Alasdair Grey. It begins with book three of four. Then comes the prologue and book one. Also, the epilogue is four chapters before the end. There's probably more books that do this, telling a story in a non-linear way is a staple of today's fiction after all.

Good jokes often have at least some basis in reality :)

Steven Brust has experimented with this. In his excellent book Taltos (book four in the series about Vladimir Taltos the assassin) he writes no less than three interweaving stories that all take place at different times and all come together seamlessly at the end. The movie Short Cuts presents a series of short films that all tie together in the end. It is actually a time honoured device to start a story in media res (you enter in the middle of an action sequence) and then only later learn how it all began. In fact, that is the beginning of A New Hope. I also recall several episodes of NCIS which open with one or more protagonists in dire trouble and the rest of the team trying to work out where they are and how it happened.

Mind you, as with all other story devices it may be done well or badly. Done well it adds challenge and zest to the entertainment. Done badly it is just a mess.

Given the title of this chapter, Everyone Needs to Talk, maybe we'll see pretty much every character in EGS talking about last night. It could be a sort of comic Rashomon because each character will have a different take on what happened, and sometimes a different story to tell different people.

Does Mr d10 think that Susan is Cheerleadera's sidekick or something?  Or does he still think they are a couple?   I know he has been told they aren't but still.

Or worse yet, does he think Susan is Cheerleadera, even if Elliot was outed?

5 hours ago, liontari said:

Wow, Susan!

We haven't seen her in a speaking role in a story comic since, what, February 2014?

Well, I don't remember the exact dates, but the end of "Playing With Dolls" ijuin links to below has a 2015 copyright date.  (Darn it, Dan, why couldn't you leave dates on the NP comics like everything else??)

9 hours ago, ijuin said:

Well, she seems to have been preoccupied with her spellbook and faeries before bed last night, as seen in http://www.egscomics.com/egsnp.php?id=253, so she probably didn't see the "film at eleven".

---

9 hours ago, Tom Sewell said:

I guess we now know Susan didn't watch the news last night or this morning.

I usually have my car radio tuned to the local NPR station, with news at the top of every hour.  I also usually have the radio on in the kitchen, even if I'm not actively listening to it.  I did turn it off this weekend to watch bits of the Downton Abbey marathon.  I can see Susan not bothering with the news, most young folks don't these days, and none of the main characters are social media junkies.

I'm betting Susan will be pissed no one called her, though.  Unless she turned her phone off to concentrate and then fell asleep, in which case she'll be mad at herself.

2 hours ago, showler said:

I think Tensaided believes that Ashley was actually Susan.

I can see how he might come to that conclusion.  He strikes me as exactly the sort to cling to his own fanon even after it's contradicted in canon.  A classic Harry-Hermione shipper.  ;-P

ETA: Occurred to me that Susan will probably also be hurt if no one thought to call her, although she likely won't show that part (unless Nase or San are summoned.  And/or, I guess.)

Edited by CritterKeeper
additional thought, cursed invisible editing

1 hour ago, CritterKeeper said:

Well, I don't remember the exact dates, but the end of "Playing With Dolls" ijuin links to below has a 2015 copyright date.  (Darn it, Dan, why couldn't you leave dates on the NP comics like everything else??)

This is more of a case of differing terminologies. I don't call NPs story comics, canon though some may be.  

1 hour ago, CritterKeeper said:

Dates are in the title bar/label on the tab (= default name for bookmarks = name that shows in browser history).

egsnpdates.png

11 hours ago, partner555 said:

You know, without the context we readers have, there are many hilarious different interpretations of what Tensaided said.

So, has Susan found out what happened at the mall yet? So, uh, does Tensaided think that Susan is Ashley?

4 hours ago, CritterKeeper said:

ETA: Occurred to me that Susan will probably also be hurt if no one thought to call her, although she likely won't show that part (unless Nase or San are summoned.  And/or, I guess.)

It's possible she went to bed before the news about what happened at the mall hit. That brief moment where Sarah is revisited by Pandora didn't really suggest that she was aware of what happen either, at least not in terms of Elliot being involved. Carol might have got the call after she left from dinner with the family, or she hadn't left yet and didn't say that there was a Cheerleadra sighting in the mall. The again Sarah was probably preoccupied with thoughts about her own spell to notice Carol leave. More evidence to suggest that Sarah didn't know would be because Pandora had been watching her pretty much all day, yeah it's possible Pandora might have had a nap during dinner, but Sarah didn't ask if Pandora was responsible for what happened at the mall.