• Announcements

• Robin

Welcome!   03/05/2016

Welcome, everyone, to the new 910CMX Community Forums. I'm still working on getting them running, so things may change.  If you're a 910 Comic creator and need your forum recreated, let me know and I'll get on it right away.  I'll do my best to make this new place as fun as the last one!
Scotty

NP, Monday September 5, 2016

Guess the donut is not holed. We sure that the expectation is not the one we expected?

16 minutes ago, Scotty said:

Also Pandora only halfway changed back in the last panel is interesting.

More of "clothes only intact" due to her original dress being a bit more unnatural.

Aaand Marker ends showing only one mark we didn't expect to see (Good Tom's) and we didn't even get to see the mark. False advertising, if you ask me.

So what hijinks ensued, and why do none of the Eight seem to know about whatever they were?

6 hours ago, Xenophon Hendrix said:

Catalina can turn into a werecat of some sort. Rhoda can make her bigger. Hijinks indeed.

I was thinking of Rhoda making Catalina smaller. Consider this sequence: Catalina becomes Cat-alina in the Mall, and Rhoda, in panic, instinctively shrinks Cat-alina, picks her up, and pretends that Cat-alina is a doll to others until they make their getaway.

Bonus if Cat-alina is a TG'd Samurai Cat.

7 hours ago, Tom Sewell said:

Aaand Marker ends showing only one mark we didn't expect to see (Good Tom's) and we didn't even get to see the mark. False advertising, if you ask me.

So what hijinks ensued, and why do none of the Eight seem to know about whatever they were?

Good Tom being marked was foreshadowed (was it foreshadowed? Or just blatantly shown) by the fact that he could sense puppies in danger. I can't remember for certain because the thread that would have been associated to the comic in question was on the old forums but I want to say there was a fair bit of speculation that he was marked.

After the speculation that Ashley was Pandora in disguise wore out, speculation that Ashley had magic started to take root, this NP kinda shot that down. It's possible she could still get magic, though the chances are slimmer with the things that are currently happening in the main story.

The one that no one expected to be marked was Liz, and we don't even know what spell she has, we just know that it was not what Pandora had in mind, but still could be helpful with something.

As for hijinks, hmmm, well apparently Catalina knows about Rhoda's ability to shrink and enlarge, maybe after getting marked, the two goes somewhere to have fun with Rhoda's spell (dressing room perhaps) and while doing that, Catalina comments about how it'd be nice to be able to do stuff like that which triggers her freshly marked spell. Maybe she goes full on cat mode like how Grace can go full on squirrel, and runs around the mall like that.

I thought "Rhoda's little secret" was "liking girls", not "magic mark", especially since I'm not sure she knows she has one yet. Granted, Catalina let it slip to Susan, but everyone else who knows either heard it Rhoda or inferred it for themselves.

21 minutes ago, EmpactWB said:

I thought "Rhoda's little secret" was "liking girls", not "magic mark", especially since I'm not sure she knows she has one yet. Granted, Catalina let it slip to Susan, but everyone else who knows either heard it Rhoda or inferred it for themselves.

I still say Rhoda liking girls is only a secret Rhoda doesn't want Diane knowing about, this isn't a case of Rhoda being afraid of being outed like Justin was, Rhoda's parents already know, it's more like Rhoda being afraid of not being accepted in Diane's circle anymore, Rhoda was there when Diane criticized Nanase's suggestion that she'd sit with Diane if she let Justin sit with them as well as well as called Justin defective, so that would certainly have an affect on Rhoda not wanting Diane to know.

1 hour ago, Scotty said:

I still say Rhoda liking girls is only a secret Rhoda doesn't want Diane knowing about, this isn't a case of Rhoda being afraid of being outed like Justin was, Rhoda's parents already know, it's more like Rhoda being afraid of not being accepted in Diane's circle anymore, Rhoda was there when Diane criticized Nanase's suggestion that she'd sit with Diane if she let Justin sit with them as well as well as called Justin defective, so that would certainly have an affect on Rhoda not wanting Diane to know.

She's keeping it a secret in general so it doesn't get back to Diane, not just keeping it from Diane. I fully agree that it's just for that, but it's still not openly known. And while Pandora might be making a shrinking pun, a secret only kept to avoid one person knowing IS kind of a small one. Big secrets would be like having the Presidential candidates replaced by alien replicants from beyond the Moon or a Volkswagen Beetle coming to life and winning races.

11 hours ago, Xenophon Hendrix said:

Catalina can turn into a werecat of some sort. Rhoda can make her bigger. Hijinks indeed.

What's the cat equivalent of a Loup-Garou? Because I think them combining powers might just achieve that.

3 hours ago, EmpactWB said:

the Presidential candidates replaced by alien replicants from beyond the Moon or a Volkswagen Beetle coming to life and winning races.

Maybe if we're lucky, a Volkswagen Beetle will come to life and win the Presidential race.

Except...Oops...the candidate needs to be born in the US.  Are there any American models that might come to life?  How about an REO Speed Wagon?

16 hours ago, Tom Sewell said:

Well we DID see why Ashley was not marked yet too, but, yes ... I expected more.

16 hours ago, Tom Sewell said:

Because Catalina is surprisingly good at not telling them? Although, now that she knows Elliot is Cheerleadra, she may decide to contact them ...

8 hours ago, Tom Sewell said:
14 hours ago, Xenophon Hendrix said:

I was thinking of Rhoda making Catalina smaller. Consider this sequence: Catalina becomes Cat-alina in the Mall, and Rhoda, in panic, instinctively shrinks Cat-alina, picks her up, and pretends that Cat-alina is a doll to others until they make their getaway.

Agree, Rhoda must been involved and bigger would make it into news.

Doll, or real cat dressed like a doll.

4 hours ago, EmpactWB said:
5 hours ago, Scotty said:

She's keeping it a secret in general so it doesn't get back to Diane, not just keeping it from Diane. I fully agree that it's just for that, but it's still not openly known

And I would like to add that Diane likely knows, but pretends to not know in a version of "don't ask, don't tell" ...

42 minutes ago, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:
4 hours ago, EmpactWB said:

the Presidential candidates replaced by alien replicants from beyond the Moon or a Volkswagen Beetle coming to life and winning races.

Maybe if we're lucky, a Volkswagen Beetle will come to life and win the Presidential race.

Except...Oops...the candidate needs to be born in the US.  Are there any American models that might come to life?  How about an REO Speed Wagon?

I though list of candidates is already closed. Are you saying there is still option for better candidate? Like, basically anyone else?

In my home state, the cut off for write-in candidates to sign up is the end of this month. I suggest we register George Carlin, because there's technically no requirement that a candidate be living, only that the VP takes over if he dies in office, and it's not like he could mess anything up. Sure, you could argue that he couldn't discharge the duties of the office while dead, but he (or the VP and a majority of the Cabinet) also has to inform Congress of this in writing for it to take effect. If we get a really lazy VP to go along with this and President Carlin never selects a Cabinet, bam. We're golden.

Yeah, Diane probably knows. She is sneaky and clever. She'll probably just run into Catalina and Rhoda one day while they're out on a date and just casually say "If you break her heart, I'll EAT yours" before wandering off.

20 hours ago, Scotty said:

I'd like to offer an alternative interpretation of the "defective" comment. Isn't it quite likely that what Diane was referring to as being "defective" was his non interest in buying her things. In the eyes of the Diane of this old strip that should be more of a concern than his sexuality. After all she's not intending to go any further than teasing with any boy at the moment. Now it's possible Rhoda could misinterpret that comment, but given how long she's been around Diane I don't think that's likely.

And I've got an alternative idea for just why Diane keeps Rhoda around... It's to protect her. Rhoda has been shown to be shy, quiet and rather timid to the degree that she's giving off a submissive vibe. We've also seen Diane ready to pounce on anyone who might scare, intimidate or who is making Rhoda feel inferior. Diane knows Rhoda is just as nice as she appears and is not going to let anyone take advantage of that, not that she'd ever admit it. Diane will have no problem accepting Catalina once she knows she's not going to abuse Rhoda and is just as protective as Diane herself.

Not the most well researched theories, but they work for me so far...

edit: And being a tad slow I managed to miss all the elegant and finely crafted links showing Diane leaping to Rhoda's defense, rather viciously (and well deserved) in case of the talent scout.

5 hours ago, Cpt. Obvious said:

I'd like to offer an alternative interpretation of the "defective" comment. Isn't it quite likely that what Diane was referring to as being "defective" was his non interest in buying her things. In the eyes of the Diane of this old strip that should be more of a concern than his sexuality.

The page prior to the "defective" comment, had Diane not only say "he won't buy us stuff" but added "he'll scare off any guys that would", that basically states that Justin being gay would be detrimental to Diane's goals if he were to hang around with them. Rhoda could certainly misinterpret that that believe that if Diane found out she was gay, Diane might think Rhoda would be detrimental to her goals as well.

5 hours ago, Cpt. Obvious said:

And I've got an alternative idea for just why Diane keeps Rhoda around... It's to protect her. Rhoda has been shown to be shy, quiet and rather timid to the degree that she's giving off a submissive vibe. We've also seen Diane ready to pounce on anyone who might scare, intimidate or who is making Rhoda feel inferior. Diane knows Rhoda is just as nice as she appears and is not going to let anyone take advantage of that, not that she'd ever admit it. Diane will have no problem accepting Catalina once she knows she's not going to abuse Rhoda and is just as protective as Diane herself.

That's why I think that Rhoda is worrying for nothing, Diane knows that Rhoda found a new friend, she even knows her by name, yet Rhoda's been evasive whenever Diane's asked about meeting her and when Diane asked about the avatar picture, Rhoda's response produced an "uh-huh" remark from Diane. Diane's great at deduction, there's no way she hasn't figured it out by now that Rhoda and Catalina are more than just friends, why Diane hasn't said anything about it is hard to say, maybe she'd rather Rhoda tell her when she's ready, or maybe Diane thinks she doesn't want anyone to know and end up like Justin if word got out. Justin, Ellen and Susan attempted to do that when they found out about Nanase being gay. I don't know