• Announcements

• Robin

Welcome!   03/05/2016

Welcome, everyone, to the new 910CMX Community Forums. I'm still working on getting them running, so things may change.  If you're a 910 Comic creator and need your forum recreated, let me know and I'll get on it right away.  I'll do my best to make this new place as fun as the last one!
Scotty

NP, Friday September 9, 2016

There have been several comments about the lack of hijinks in this story so far.
Some have suggested that we may only be at mid-jinks.
I contend that while we have met the players, the jinks have not yet commenced.  We are still below the low-jinks.

In 1949, Al Hoffman, Mack David, and Jerry Livingston said,

"If you're chased around by trouble, and followed by a jinx, I'll jinx your trouble, and trouble your jinx, in less than forty winks."

So to hasten the jinx, I will mention "Salagadoola mechicka boola bibbidi-bobbidi-boo".

20 hours ago, Tom Sewell said:
22 hours ago, hkmaly said:

Note also that Rhoda might not cast the spell on anything alive since the bear, much less another person.

Ummm, the first time she cast the spell was on the wild boar. So it is canon that Rhoda can change the size of living and non-living things. In fact, the cookie spell might be another spell--Rhoda might actually be awakened, even if she doesn't have a spellbook yet (which Justin apparently doesn't.)

Eh. Typo. Since the boar, yes. I wanted to say that she might not realize yet that it was her who caused it AND not knowingly transformed anything else living.

17 hours ago, PocketNinja said:

Wait a minute...

If Rhoda's magically bigger food causes the consumer to grow, and it logically follows that Rhoda's magically smaller food might make the consumer shrink...

Is Shrink Soda about to become canon?

I THINK that Rhoda's bigger food causes just "small" growing and shrink soda's effect would be too big for it. But even if that's right, I'm sure she can get shrinking soda spell next.

13 hours ago, Scotty said:

Autopilot, at least in terms of what I think it would mean, would be the default spell effect,

Autopilot is if the default spell effect isn't the simplest way the spell can work, especially if the way it actually work requires complex calculations. Elliot's default form doesn't count because it IS the simplest way how he can transform to woman. Nanase's fairy bodysuit MIGHT count - logically, the simplest will be if the fairy will be naked - but on the other hand it seems like simplest clothes possible, so not much advanced autopilot ...

2 hours ago, hkmaly said:

Autopilot is if the default spell effect isn't the simplest way the spell can work, especially if the way it actually work requires complex calculations. Elliot's default form doesn't count because it IS the simplest way how he can transform to woman. Nanase's fairy bodysuit MIGHT count - logically, the simplest will be if the fairy will be naked - but on the other hand it seems like simplest clothes possible, so not much advanced autopilot ...

I'm honestly not sure autopilot translates the same for you as it does me. If we take it in terms of how it works for an airplane, autopilot literally is meant for simple maneuvers, everything's all clear? Just relax and let the base programming do the job until something requires your focus.

Spells with default effects are the same thing, no real concentration required, just activate the base spell and get what the main description of the spell says. Any other stuff about the spell in terms of appearance, size, other, if there's customization involved, then it requires more concentration. Elliot didn't think about Sarah's body when he transformed into her that one time, so it defaulted to an FV5 version of Sarah because his basic female morph is FV5 Elliot or Ellen form.

1 hour ago, Scotty said:

I'm honestly not sure autopilot translates the same for you as it does me.

Well I MIGHT've been defining it ... I mean, I feel like I saw used it in similar sense but I may be mistaken ...

1 hour ago, Scotty said:

If we take it in terms of how it works for an airplane, autopilot literally is meant for simple maneuvers, everything's all clear?

That's not the part relevant to the sense I'm using. I'm using the part that when autopilot is active, pilot doesn't need to do anything and the plane is still flying, keeping height, course and stuff.

Also, I'm using the part that autopilot is actual computer, not brick on accelerator and crowbar on steering wheel. You can make car go that way, but airplane would crash without some sort of reaction to feedback.

1 hour ago, Scotty said:

Spells with default effects are the same thing, no real concentration required, just activate the base spell and get what the main description of the spell says. Any other stuff about the spell in terms of appearance, size, other, if there's customization involved, then it requires more concentration.

There are three way to direct the effect. Well, four actually.

First is "brick on accelerator". The easiest and most direct way how the spell can work. Principe of least effort and similar.

Second is using concentration, consciously steering the spell to desired outcome. The more customization, the more concentration.

Third is "autopilot". Some component of the spell which does the steering for you, without your concentration and without you even knowing what's happening.

Fourth is subconscious control. Like Nase, Dex's fairy or Fox when not controller manually.

The difference between autopilot and brick is visible on Tedd's height watches. If you don't concentrate on the variable one, they basically put same amount of energy to clothes and body, resulting in clothes shrinking or growing more than body - that's brick. The one with fixed two inches have some component which looks at the material of clothes and uses less energy to shrink them, so they shrink in the same ratio as body. Tedd is not able to make this autopilot good enough for variable watches (yet).

1 hour ago, Scotty said:

Elliot didn't think about Sarah's body when he transformed into her that one time, so it defaulted to an FV5 version of Sarah because his basic female morph is FV5 Elliot or Ellen form.

I actually suspect it was more like Ellen's body with Sarah's head. Although the difference between that and FV5 Sarah isn't that big.

6 hours ago, hkmaly said:

That's not the part relevant to the sense I'm using. I'm using the part that when autopilot is active, pilot doesn't need to do anything and the plane is still flying, keeping height, course and stuff.

See, this is why I think there's a misunderstanding somewhere, because that line is just a rewording of what I said. "Simple maneuvers"= "keeping height, course and stuff"

6 hours ago, hkmaly said:

Also, I'm using the part that autopilot is actual computer, not brick on accelerator and crowbar on steering wheel. You can make car go that way, but airplane would crash without some sort of reaction to feedback.

I'm not saying it's like a brick on the accelerator and such, if we switch back to using humans, there's a phrase "living life on autopilot" which basically means going about your day doing tasks, eat, work, sleep, bathroom. Yes, each task may not be simple, but it's so routine that you don't even think about how it's done, you just do it.

7 hours ago, hkmaly said:

Third is "autopilot". Some component of the spell which does the steering for you, without your concentration and without you even knowing what's happening.

This is the one I'm getting at, the spell may have a number of options, but if you don't think about those options, it just defaults to something, but when you start thinking about face, colour, and/or clothes, autopilot comes off and you're in control.

Fourth is subconscious control. Like Nase, Dex's fairy or Fox when not controller manually.

Maybe we can call this one Semi-Autopilot? As a couple examples would be when Elliot changed from Cheerleadra to Mild Mannered the first time, he may not have realized it at the time but his questioning how he'd be able to get back to Tedd's without people knowing who he is, is what triggered the secret ID part of the spell, also when he was changing to Cheerleadra in front of everyone in the parking lot, he happened to think about the Uryuom suit and it affected how he ended up looking. Elliot wasn't actively wanting to change, but his thought processes and subconscious ended up doing the work for him.

The difference between autopilot and brick is visible on Tedd's height watches. If you don't concentrate on the variable one, they basically put same amount of energy to clothes and body, resulting in clothes shrinking or growing more than body - that's brick.

We can also use that to describe when Elliot tries to actively change to much of his form, when he was at Susan's about to do their first video review, he transformed to make sure it didn't happen in the middle of recording, and ended up taller than intended, he was trying to stay the same height in female form as he is when male but the brick got dropped there. You could also say that Ashley's sabotage "big boobs?" was another brick. Though Elliot just be a bad example as someone who doesn't have discipline in morphing yet.

I actually suspect it was more like Ellen's body with Sarah's head. Although the difference between that and FV5 Sarah isn't that big.

Here's a better look at Elliot!Sarah and Sarah, last panel shows Elliot!Sarah with longer hair than Sarah, it's still blonde though so it suggest that at least the body should be Sarah's as well just FV5'd.

8 hours ago, Scotty said:
16 hours ago, hkmaly said:

See, this is why I think there's a misunderstanding somewhere, because that line is just a rewording of what I said. "Simple maneuvers"= "keeping height, course and stuff"

Yeah ... it's not like the autopilot is not ABOUT that. It's just that it's not the part I consider important.

9 hours ago, Scotty said:

The difference between autopilot and brick is visible on Tedd's height watches. If you don't concentrate on the variable one, they basically put same amount of energy to clothes and body, resulting in clothes shrinking or growing more than body - that's brick.

We can also use that to describe when Elliot tries to actively change to much of his form, when he was at Susan's about to do their first video review, he transformed to make sure it didn't happen in the middle of recording, and ended up taller than intended, he was trying to stay the same height in female form as he is when male but the brick got dropped there. You could also say that Ashley's sabotage "big boobs?" was another brick. Though Elliot just be a bad example as someone who doesn't have discipline in morphing yet.

Actually, I think both are examples of subconscious control.

Or, like Elliot put it, "sometimes it happens even without sabotage" ... if it was sabotage, it was subconscious control. If it wasn't, THEN it was autopilot based on his default woman form being Ellen (or in other words, FV5 him).

9 hours ago, Scotty said:

Here's a better look at Elliot!Sarah and Sarah, last panel shows Elliot!Sarah with longer hair than Sarah, it's still blonde though so it suggest that at least the body should be Sarah's as well just FV5'd.

Yeah and here's Ellen. Again: FV5 makes consistent height, bigger hips and bigger breasts. With the level of detail in EGS, I don't think we can distinguish two FV5 characters from each other just by body. Unless it's Greg I guess. (In fact, distinguishing two FV5 characters by clothed body might be impossible with ANY level of detail, as any difference would be covered by clothes. I'm not sure if SARAH would spot any other difference.)

He said he was oncentrating on her face. Sure, the clothes and hair changed as well, so he likely though about them a little, but he didn't though about body, meaning the body was default, meaning Ellen. Remember that there is no copying involved - Elliot transforms into how he imagine to look.

2 hours ago, hkmaly said:

Yeah and here's Ellen. Again: FV5 makes consistent height, bigger hips and bigger breasts. With the level of detail in EGS, I don't think we can distinguish two FV5 characters from each other just by body. Unless it's Greg I guess. (In fact, distinguishing two FV5 characters by clothed body might be impossible with ANY level of detail, as any difference would be covered by clothes. I'm not sure if SARAH would spot any other difference.)

He said he was oncentrating on her face. Sure, the clothes and hair changed as well, so he likely though about them a little, but he didn't though about body, meaning the body was default, meaning Ellen. Remember that there is no copying involved - Elliot transforms into how he imagine to look.

Maybe I misunderstood this time around, when you said "Ellen's body with Sarah's head" I assumed you meant everything from the neck down would have been female Elliot which would have meant any birthmarks or whatever that Elliot has that would persist in the default female form. I think because he was thinking of Sarah, even if it was just her face, the spell would have given Elliot Sarah's skin complexion head to toe, or at least close enough to it.

1 hour ago, Scotty said:
3 hours ago, hkmaly said:

Maybe I misunderstood this time around, when you said "Ellen's body with Sarah's head" I assumed you meant everything from the neck down would have been female Elliot which would have meant any birthmarks or whatever that Elliot has that would persist in the default female form.

I did. I mean, yes, that's what I was proposing.

1 hour ago, Scotty said:

I think because he was thinking of Sarah, even if it was just her face, the spell would have given Elliot Sarah's skin complexion head to toe, or at least close enough to it.

I don't think so, but I accept validity of such theory and as I mentioned, I don't have any other argument and I don't believe you have, so we would need to agree on disagree.

The additional note is that without stripping Elliot, even Sarah would be unlikely to see anything proving which of us is correct.

(The most likely proofs are mentioned birthmarks - and body hair. Sarah needs to shave, Ellen doesn't. Neither will be visible through clothes.)

On 9/11/2016 at 9:31 PM, hkmaly said:
On 9/10/2016 at 3:43 AM, PocketNinja said:

Wait a minute...

If Rhoda's magically bigger food causes the consumer to grow, and it logically follows that Rhoda's magically smaller food might make the consumer shrink...

I THINK that Rhoda's bigger food causes just "small" growing and shrink soda's effect would be too big for it. But even if that's right, I'm sure she can get shrinking soda spell next.

True, I didn't think about that. (The shrinking soda popped into my head as soon as I finished the last panel, and I got excited :P). It does seem like the side effect isn't a big change in size, or else Dan Rhoda might have phrased it differently.

I was thinking the change was along the lines of a proportional change. Like if you start with a bite size cookie, make it a regular size cookie with Rhoda's spell, you grow with the first bite/first few bites so that the rest is now bite size. This would mean you just need a couple liters or so of soda to make some can-sized shrinking soda. That would lead to big size changes fairly quickly, though. Maybe today's comic will bring more information about the side effect.

So growth between two objects is directly proportional. Plot-wise, that brings up only two good options. (Never shy away from the context :demonicduck:)

That being said,

On 10/09/2016 at 3:43 PM, PocketNinja said:

Logic would dictate that Rhoda's powers would not work on any object that can already grow/shrink. Plus, Shrink Soda is canon ages back since Q&As are in the same canon field as Amanda and Lisa commenting over certain events.

10 minutes ago, Stature said:
On 09/10/2016 at 9:43 AM, PocketNinja said:

Logic would dictate that Rhoda's powers would not work on any object that can already grow/shrink. Plus, Shrink Soda is canon ages back since Q&As are in the same canon field as Amanda and Lisa commenting over certain events.

Most comics only have canon and non-canon. EGS is better: it has canon, non-canon and the Q&A continuity, which is sort of canon but not in main continuity of story. Big difference, Raven can confirm. Also, Tedd is few years older in Q&A continuity (although not enough to drink).