• Announcements

• Robin

Welcome!   03/05/2016

Welcome, everyone, to the new 910CMX Community Forums. I'm still working on getting them running, so things may change.  If you're a 910 Comic creator and need your forum recreated, let me know and I'll get on it right away.  I'll do my best to make this new place as fun as the last one!
Howitzer

Story: Wednesday, September 14, 2016

Interesting theory that Elliot's first public appearance as Cheerleadra was what got Voltaire's interest, but I still think it might go earlier than that. Helena and Demetrius had been following Elliot for a while before even Ellen's creation, Magus' frustration that the two Immortals could get in his way despite their improper resets, even Helena and Demetrius' frustration that they can't remember why they were following Elliot suggests that they started doing so probably before the comic started. It kinda lend credence to my theory that the two Immortals discovered a plot on Elliot's life and attempted to thwart it somehow but got reset in the process and I'm not sure it was Magus that was responsible for it.

1 minute ago, Scotty said:

Interesting theory that Elliot's first public appearance as Cheerleadra was what got Voltaire's interest, but I still think it might go earlier than that.

We still don't know who or what was responsible for the betrayal that got Magus stuck in the in-between world in the first place. Maybe it was the Colonel.

While this is an interesting explanation, I'm slightly disappointed. Prior to this strip, the reader had no reason to believe Dex was able to summon multiple, and was merely holding back. It almost feels like a retcon.

5 minutes ago, banneret said:

While this is an interesting explanation, I'm slightly disappointed. Prior to this strip, the reader had no reason to believe Dex was able to summon multiple, and was merely holding back. It almost feels like a retcon.

We saw Dex summoning tons of harmless fire guys against Grace and Greg. We were just as capable of coming to the conclusions that Mr. Verre's is coming to. But if anyone here put that out as a theory, other people would toss it aside as speculation and ignore it. Edward saying it, on the other hand, makes it more valid.

Disturbances come with a heavy hand.

Waaait, Dex was recording some time after he summoned the Firemen? It makes no sense! :demonicduck:

So are we discounting the deeds of Noah?

4 hours ago, Stature said:

Waaait, Dex was recording some time after he summoned the Firemen? It makes no sense! :demonicduck:

He only recorded the first fire golem incident, it was likely the Immortal manipulating him, only did so long enough to summon the 1 golem, then released Dex to go about his business again so it wouldn't arouse suspicion.

If Elliot was really the only target, why did the dragon fly off after Noah? Why did the dragon fly away from Cheerleadra to where it met Noah, who didn't know anything about the dragon until Melissa screamed? To me, it looks like the whole point of the dragon's attacking Elliot where and when it did was to get Melissa to scream. The dragon didn't attack Melissa or make any more attacks to finish off Elliot. And after fighting with Noah, the dragon flies back to the dojo, luring Noah just like it lured Cheerleadra.

I kind of think the whole commentary was a smokescreen to conceal the fact that Edward is wrong about this one, or at least not totally right.

Maybe Voltaire when Voltaire said that Plan A would have solved the problem with just one murder, he didn't mean Elliot's murder.

6 hours ago, Random Wanderer said:

We saw Dex summoning tons of harmless fire guys against Grace and Greg. We were just as capable of coming to the conclusions that Mr. Verre's is coming to. But if anyone here put that out as a theory, other people would toss it aside as speculation and ignore it. Edward saying it, on the other hand, makes it more valid.

It's more valid as Edward is a character in the EGS universe that is supposed to have a lot of knowledge about magic and magic users of all kinds. We in the peanut gallery on the other hand only knows what has so far been said in the comic, and even then we're not always certain exactly how to interpret that or if the information is true.

It doesn't mean that what Edward is saying has to be right, only that to the best of his knowledge it's possible.

Depends on just how much energy summoning that dragon takes. Greg and Grace could probably take care of a single dragon without too much trouble. At least if Grace could summon up the determination to actually do some harm to the poor creature.

We know that Grace is reluctant to harm any being, and that would most probably include a small dragon. But if whoever was behind that attack was someone like Sirleck then they are unlikely to even consider the possibility that she wouldn't take it out with extreme prejudice, leaving nothing to regenerate. I'm thinking that Greg probably would be about as effective as Noah at keeping one dragon occupied, but the regeneration would mean he would have a hard time disposing of it.

So if the "man behind the curtain" didn't know and understand enough about Grace then summoning a horde of cheep fire dudes might have seemed a better idea than bringing in another dragon or two, or four, but not three, five or six because that would be ridiculous...

2 hours ago, Cpt. Obvious said:

Depends on just how much energy summoning that dragon takes. Greg and Grace could probably take care of a single dragon without too much trouble. At least if Grace could summon up the determination to actually do some harm to the poor creature.

We know that Grace is reluctant to harm any being, and that would most probably include a small dragon. But if whoever was behind that attack was someone like Sirleck then they are unlikely to even consider the possibility that she wouldn't take it out with extreme prejudice, leaving nothing to regenerate. I'm thinking that Greg probably would be about as effective as Noah at keeping one dragon occupied, but the regeneration would mean he would have a hard time disposing of it.

So if the "man behind the curtain" didn't know and understand enough about Grace then summoning a horde of cheep fire dudes might have seemed a better idea than bringing in another dragon or two, or four, but not three, five or six because that would be ridiculous...

Conversely, Greg isn't keen on hurting the innocent either. The dozens of fire guys distracting them would have been a good plan as long as Grace and Greg tried sticking to peaceful resolutions with Dex, because if they spent long enough on it, they might have talked him down. Another dragon might have injured Dex in the fracas, or either Greg or Grace might have tried holding it off while the other got through to Dex, and three almost certainly would have KO'ed Dex or perhaps drained his power too fast for it to be replenished before the spells ended.

13 hours ago, Gamma Emerald said:

That commentary though...Dan must be off his rocker.

13 hours ago, partner555 said:

I'm pretty sure that's normal for Dan's commentaries.

Regardless I am so stealing the 7 dragons and poltical parties bit.

17 hours ago, Scotty said:

Interesting theory that Elliot's first public appearance as Cheerleadra was what got Voltaire's interest, but I still think it might go earlier than that.

WE have hints it wasn't, but from Edward it's logical theory.

17 hours ago, The Old Hack said:

We still don't know who or what was responsible for the betrayal that got Magus stuck in the in-between world in the first place. Maybe it was the Colonel.

I still suspect Pandora of THIS.

9 hours ago, Tom Sewell said:

I kind of think the whole commentary was a smokescreen to conceal the fact that Edward is wrong about this one, or at least not totally right.

It definitely seems that Edward is not explaining everything ...

8 hours ago, Cpt. Obvious said:
15 hours ago, Random Wanderer said:

It's more valid as Edward is a character in the EGS universe that is supposed to have a lot of knowledge about magic and magic users of all kinds. We in the peanut gallery on the other hand only knows what has so far been said in the comic, and even then we're not always certain exactly how to interpret that or if the information is true.

It doesn't mean that what Edward is saying has to be right, only that to the best of his knowledge it's possible.

On the other hand, we DO see some things the characters would be hard time to piece together - like, Grace might've hear Dex saying "there?" but would have no way to know that the dragon stopped at that point OR where the point was.

We may have more informations about the situations than Edward, because Elliot didn't know what is important to tell him.

Also, there is high probability that what we saw contains all important informations so it doesn't feel like retcon later, while stuff not important was skipped. Edward have no way to know what parts of what people tell him are important.

19 minutes ago, Aura Guardian said:

Reason for the fire creatures: A replenishing numbers boss take longer to take out than a mere HP boss. Because damage cap is one enemy.

Yes ; if your target is not to hurt anyone, having multiple "damage sinks" is more effective that one.

Note that the fire guys were not really attacking that much either. They tried to HOLD Grace. If they wanted to hurt her, there would be enough time on this page for some other fire guy starting to hit her.

1 hour ago, Aura Guardian said:

Reason for the fire creatures: A replenishing numbers boss take longer to take out than a mere HP boss. Because damage cap is one enemy.

In WoW, the original Zul'Gurub raid had several boss encounters like that, the tiger boss in particular was a pain because not only was there waves of mobs coming in that had to be dealt with, but for the first phase of the encounter, the 2 sub bosses had to be killed within seconds of each other or they'd get resurrected. so DPS would have to switch between the to in order to balance the amount of damage each had.

9 hours ago, WillikaKillika said:

What's wrong with three dragons?

It would have made the total dragon population four and like Dan said, why on Earth would you summon four dragons when you could have five?