• Announcements

• Robin

Welcome!   03/05/2016

Welcome, everyone, to the new 910CMX Community Forums. I'm still working on getting them running, so things may change.  If you're a 910 Comic creator and need your forum recreated, let me know and I'll get on it right away.  I'll do my best to make this new place as fun as the last one!
Zorua

Things You Only Noticed On Reread

3 minutes ago, malloyd said:

I still think the most likely one would be languages - when aliens who can teach languages in a couple seconds have been an open part of society for two centuries, language classes will be *different*. 

At the moment, Elliot has a one up on Ellen in that department, at least for languages that they're confirmed to know, Elliot knows Uryuomoco which he learned from William when him and Gillian visited Tedd's to get their human forms. We have yet to see Ellen bust out any other languages, but yeah there is a bunch of stuff that she could have learned in the second life (aside from history that's a given) that Elliot never got around to learning.

4 hours ago, Scotty said:

At the moment, Elliot has a one up on Ellen in that department, at least for languages that they're confirmed to know, Elliot knows Uryuomoco which he learned from William when him and Gillian visited Tedd's to get their human forms. We have yet to see Ellen bust out any other languages, but yeah there is a bunch of stuff that she could have learned in the second life (aside from history that's a given) that Elliot never got around to learning.

Now that I think about it, that probably includes a lot of stuff the DGB is in charge of covering up.  Aliens are out in the open there, so she likely knows a lot of the same kind of trivia about the major nearby alien worlds as we'd know about the major foreign countries.

One other thing that occurred to me back in Family Tree when she caught the Charlie's Angels reference and seemed excited about watching it with Nanase was how often that must *not* happen for her.  She's almost more out of touch with geek culture than Grace ever was - the world she by her own admission recalls more clearly diverges from ours with the open presence of aliens centuries in the past - there's no way anything remotely like the science fiction at the root of that is at all similar.  For that matter it's before most of the touchstones of our wider culture exist - it predates the actual Classical period of classical music for example, and is pushing on predating the invention of the *novel* as a literary form.  She must come out with allusions and famous quotes all the time that nobody understands, from great cultural works she can't even share because they don't exist here.

40 minutes ago, malloyd said:

One other thing that occurred to me back in Family Tree when she caught the Charlie's Angels reference and seemed excited about watching it with Nanase was how often that must *not* happen for her.  She's almost more out of touch with geek culture than Grace ever was - the world she by her own admission recalls more clearly diverges from ours with the open presence of aliens centuries in the past - there's no way anything remotely like the science fiction at the root of that is at all similar.  For that matter it's before most of the touchstones of our wider culture exist - it predates the actual Classical period of classical music for example, and is pushing on predating the invention of the *novel* as a literary form.  She must come out with allusions and famous quotes all the time that nobody understands, from great cultural works she can't even share because they don't exist here.

Ellen also has all of Elliot's memories too, so she's able to draw from both, the movie references were most likely Elliot's memories considering Ellen also knew about "American Cake" though in that case Nanase was the one that insisted on watching it because she never seen it. The Charlies Angels was another thing that Nanase never seen before that Elliot would have and so Ellen would know the reference to. Basically the gag was Nanase never got to see a lot of movies because her mom insisted she study more rather than waste time watching movies. Mama Kitsune must not have known the details of the martial arts classes Nanase was taking or she might have pulled her out of that, or maybe she did know and she knew it was building Nanase's magic power up so allowed it, I dunno.

1 hour ago, malloyd said:

She must come out with allusions and famous quotes all the time that nobody understands, from great cultural works she can't even share because they don't exist here.

Ellen needs a way to contact her second life counterpart.  Too bad Nioi didn't leave contact info.

Opening an internet connection to an alien earth would be like discovering an Alexandrian library from a previously unknown culture.

5 hours ago, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:

Opening an internet connection to an alien earth would be like discovering an Alexandrian library from a previously unknown culture.

Well, we wouldn't know, because SOMEONE was careless with the Library of Alexandria we had. You are not getting another until you've shown you can be more responsible with your priceless and irreplaceable repositories of knowledge.

I think the internet is a pretty good solution.  Any given book can be photographed and/or OCR scanned, and the scans shared far and wide.  Even if such sharing is restricted to academic uses, that's still a lot better than keeping all copies in one physical location, on flammable materials.  The more rare the book, the more likely someone wants to get images of every page.

Every known copy of Shakespeare's First Folio has been cataloged in detail, with every stain, every little tear, even the crumbs stuck in the crack between pages are known (and commented on by people giving lectures on them ;-), let alone the little differences in text between the start of each printing and the end, as typos and errors were noticed and fixed (sometimes creating new errors in the process).

59 minutes ago, ijuin said:

How can he show himself to be responsible with priceless and irreplacable repositories of knowledge if he no longer possesses any with which to demonstrate responsibility? Is this a Catch-22?

Get a shelf of books and start a program of library destruction.  Once you've burned every other library that had a copy of any of them, yours are priceless and irreplaceable.

Possibly relevant:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Burning_of_books_and_burying_of_scholars

"While it is clear that the First Emperor gathered and destroyed many works which he regarded as subversive, two copies of each were to be preserved in imperial libraries, which were destroyed in the fighting following the fall of the dynasty."

I refuse to accept blame for the destruction and disarray that befell not only the Library but also most of Egypt due the scandalous behavior of Queen Cleopatra, her Brother-Husband King Ptolemy the Last, Julius Caesar, and Mark Antony.

On 9/25/2016 at 4:56 PM, ijuin said:

How can he show himself to be responsible with priceless and irreplacable repositories of knowledge if he no longer possesses any with which to demonstrate responsibility? Is this a Catch-22?

Yes. :demonicduck:

19 hours ago, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:

I refuse to accept blame for the destruction and disarray that befell not only the Library but also most of Egypt due the scandalous behavior of Queen Cleopatra, her Brother-Husband King Ptolemy the Last, Julius Caesar, and Mark Antony.

That's OK. You don't have to accept the blame, you just make for such a lovely and inviting target to throw it at. :danshiftyeyes:

12 hours ago, ijuin said:

It's Boing, not Boeing. :D

As a wee lad, I actually thought that Boeing was supposed to be 'Boing.' We were about to fly from Copenhagen to New York and I was not entirely confident in a make of airplanes with that name. :)

1 hour ago, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:

Even as an adult, I understand bouncing better than I understand Bernoulli's principle.  Bouncing over the North Pole from Europe to America seems to make about as much sense as flapping metal wings.

In an issue of Xxxenophile, Phil Foglio posits an intriguing alternative to Bernoulli's principle as to why aircraft can fly, and it sort of involves "bouncing"...

2 hours ago, Tom Sewell said:

In an issue of Xxxenophile, Phil Foglio posits an intriguing alternative to Bernoulli's principle as to why aircraft can fly, and it sort of involves "bouncing"...

Ah yes. The Hoisters. :demonicduck:

Then again, if you really want to see the Foglios and their crew cut loose on science (or rather, SCIENCE!), I can only highly recommend the Girl Genius webcomic. It is absolutely brilliant. Mind you, its archive is HUGE by now so be warned: anyone who goes to look may not return for days. Or weeks.

3 hours ago, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:

Even as an adult, I understand bouncing better than I understand Bernoulli's principle.  Bouncing over the North Pole from Europe to America seems to make about as much sense as flapping metal wings.

Eh, bouncing is about as good.  The Bernoulli effect is too small by about an order of magnitude lift an airplane.  Lift is probably better understood starting from the third law of motion as reaction from redirected airflow (works better for supersonic flight, though as reaction to shed vortexes that are given downward momentum it's not terrible even for subsonic lift), or from irrotational circulation (which is where aerodynamics texts usually start).  The children's book airplane version of the Bernoulli effect is usually nonsense anyway, seemingly built around some fantasy in which adjacent packets separated at the leading edge somehow need to be neighbors again when leaving the trailing edge.  Lift that and imagine air sucked around the trailing edge to the bottom of the wing and are on your way back to irrotational circulation (or generating those vortexes)

3 hours ago, The Old Hack said:

Then again, if you really want to see the Foglios and their crew cut loose on science (or rather, SCIENCE!), I can only highly recommend the Girl Genius webcomic. It is absolutely brilliant. Mind you, its archive is HUGE by now so be warned: anyone who goes to look may not return for days. Or weeks.

Seconded on Girl Genius...

On 9/27/2016 at 0:14 PM, malloyd said:

The children's book airplane version of the Bernoulli effect is usually nonsense anyway, seemingly built around some fantasy in which adjacent packets separated at the leading edge somehow need to be neighbors again when leaving the trailing edge.

I was an answer-checker on a physics textbook aimed at pre-med students and I told them that their Bernoulli explanation of lift was completely bogus. I do not know if they changed it. I suspect they did not.

It's basic Newton's Third Law--the wing is at a positive angle of attack relative to the air stream. This deflects the air downward as the wing moves forward, and the reaction force pushes the wing upward. Try it yourself by sticking your hand out the window of a moving car, held at an angle to the air stream--you will feel your hand being pushed vertically.

On 9/27/2016 at 0:08 PM, The Old Hack said:

I only started reading Girl Genius just over a year ago (this was the newest comic, one of the few comics where I remember exactly where it was), and have read it through twice in that time period.

That said, I agree with this statement....

On 9/27/2016 at 0:08 AM, The Old Hack said:

6 hours ago, Sjmcc13 said:

I only started reading Girl Genius just over a year ago (this was the newest comic, one of the few comics where I remember exactly where it was), and have read it through twice in that time period.

That said, I agree with this statement....

Do not underestimate the phenomenon that is the Archive Binge.