• Announcements

• Robin

Welcome!   03/05/2016

Welcome, everyone, to the new 910CMX Community Forums. I'm still working on getting them running, so things may change.  If you're a 910 Comic creator and need your forum recreated, let me know and I'll get on it right away.  I'll do my best to make this new place as fun as the last one!
Zorua

Things You Only Noticed On Reread

3 hours ago, Vorlonagent said:

Warren Zevon is an interesting and inspired choice.  He's best known for the werewolf with a Chinese menu in his hand...

And needing Lawyer, Guns and Money.  He rocked hard.

I'm curious, was rereading the archives, at the end of Sister II when Pandora is talking to Adrian, the 4th panel somehow got be thinking that I had seen that look somewhere else in the comic. Reading ahead to the New and Old Flames arc and we see Elliot and Noah talking, and panel 6 looks really close.

PandoraNoah.png

Does anyone remember if there was any speculation if Noah was Pandora's son as well, or somehow related?

I know Noah had stated before that his parents were dead, but there must have been some wild theories about Noah being lied to or something like there had been wild theories about Noah being related to Grace or Tedd.

Now Noah is certainly not Pandora's son, she would have known if she gave birth to him. And she was certain that he isn't related to Adrian as we saw her refer to Noah as a "stray dog, not of our blood" but then we have it implied that magic users are descended from Immortals and the speculation that Adrian could have impregnated someone after all might leave the possibility open for Noah to have some immortal blood. Might explain how despite being a Seyunolu, Noah has a pretty good grasp on Magic.

We didn't know about Tedd being a wand-maker last time I re-read, but I noticed right away on re-reading the duel between Terra and Magus that Terra most definitely casts spells, possibly on a Nanase level.  Either she's not Tedd's alternate, or alternates can differ greatly in their abilities.

Hmm, perhaps she's from a universe without the scary magic-detection wand that traumatized Tedd, so she was never thought to be without magic.  But can Tedd ever learn to use any other type of magic besides wand-making?

3 hours ago, CritterKeeper said:

But can Tedd ever learn to use any other type of magic besides wand-making?

I'd say that since Tedd can see how magic works, anything he can see he can put in a wand and use. Ergo, not direct use of other magic, but diverse magic use via wand making.

8 hours ago, CritterKeeper said:

Hmm, perhaps she's from a universe without the scary magic-detection wand that traumatized Tedd, so she was never thought to be without magic.  But can Tedd ever learn to use any other type of magic besides wand-making?

It's also possible that Terra and Magus are from a universe where the WoM isn't a jerkface that changes the system from time to time. So Seers might not be a thing either, or if they are, they don't serve the same purpose. And it's possible Terra didn't get the right mix of ancestry.

On 9/12/2017 at 1:09 AM, CritterKeeper said:

We didn't know about Tedd being a wand-maker last time I re-read, but I noticed right away on re-reading the duel between Terra and Magus that Terra most definitely casts spells, possibly on a Nanase level.  Either she's not Tedd's alternate, or alternates can differ greatly in their abilities.

...but on the other hand, Magus isn't casting a spell directly himself; he's using some sort of item, which I've speculated for a while meant that perhaps Magus is similar to our universe's Tedd in that he can't cast spells directly.  What this means, I don't know; it could be that Magus is Tedd's alternate; it could be that in that universe, someone else became a seer instead; or it could mean that things are reversed such that alternates of seers are the only ones who can cast spells directly in that universe.

14 hours ago, chridd said:

...but on the other hand, Magus isn't casting a spell directly himself; he's using some sort of item, 

Yes, but we know he can cast a spell to amplify the emotions of others.  He wasn't using any item the times we've seen him do that.

20 minutes ago, Tom Sewell said:

Unless it gets retconned out, this was the first time Nanase had ever been at Susan's house, about a year and a half since they first met. Nanase didn't even know Susan lived in Snoot Creek. Doesn't exactly bespeak a close relationship at this point in the story, does it?

They didn't have one. Susan's main reason for keeping contact was the vampire slaying. She used that contact to get hold of Nanase when the goo attacked for the second time.

6 minutes ago, The Old Hack said:

They didn't have one. Susan's main reason for keeping contact was the vampire slaying. She used that contact to get hold of Nanase when the goo attacked for the second time.

That's kind of the point I was making. And yet, the same night, the first person Nanase admit's she's gay to is Susan.

9 minutes ago, Tom Sewell said:

That's kind of the point I was making. And yet, the same night, the first person Nanase admit's she's gay to is Susan.

Distance and strength of bond are not the same thing. They had fought side by side in a life-and-death situation -- that can create a very strong bond even with someone you do not know well. Also, Susan had already raised the possibility that Nanase was gay once, or so this page seems to indicate. It is not unreasonable that Nanase would turn to Susan in a situation like the one at her house.

2 minutes ago, The Old Hack said:

Distance and strength of bond are not the same thing. They had fought side by side in a life-and-death situation -- that can create a very strong bond even with someone you do not know well. Also, Susan had already raised the possibility that Nanase was gay once, or so this page seems to indicate. It is not unreasonable that Nanase would turn to Susan in a situation like the one at her house.

Okay, but didn't you just say they didn't have a close relationship? They did confront the goo together, although Susan never actually fought it, even though she brought out her sword. Anyway, not ever being in Susan's house before is justifiable in several ways: Nanase reminds her of her traumatic experience in France; they don't go to the same school; maybe Nanase's mother wouldn't like it; maybe Susan doesn't want Nanase to notice how much her mother drinks. Maybe no friend except maybe Sarah has ever been over to Susan's house. But it's still kind of odd if they traveled to France together and were deliberately supposed to be always together, Nanase would be surprised that Susan lives in a rich neighborhood.

2 hours ago, Tom Sewell said:

Okay, but didn't you just say they didn't have a close relationship?

I did. I also said that distance and strength of bond are not the same thing. It is possible to have a distant relationship that is nonetheless tied very strongly to one. It is also possible to have a close relationship based on only the flimsiest of ties.

Again, it can create an extremely strong bond to survive combat together, especially if one has relied on one another to survive. Nanase and Susan might have parted ways after this event without having become much closer to one another, but the shared experience would have rendered their bond all but unbreakable no matter how distant they might be or how long a time they might have been apart. And with that sort of connection you may tell even a distant friend what you would never tell even your own sibling.

10 hours ago, Tom Sewell said:

Okay, but didn't you just say they didn't have a close relationship? They did confront the goo together, although Susan never actually fought it, even though she brought out her sword. Anyway, not ever being in Susan's house before is justifiable in several ways: Nanase reminds her of her traumatic experience in France; they don't go to the same school; maybe Nanase's mother wouldn't like it; maybe Susan doesn't want Nanase to notice how much her mother drinks. Maybe no friend except maybe Sarah has ever been over to Susan's house. But it's still kind of odd if they traveled to France together and were deliberately supposed to be always together, Nanase would be surprised that Susan lives in a rich neighborhood.

I think it's her surprise that Susan STILL lives in such a rich neighborhood, given that her parents are divorced and her mother doesn't seem to be working.

2 minutes ago, Yzjdriel said:

I think it's her surprise that Susan STILL lives in such a rich neighborhood, given that her parents are divorced and her mother doesn't seem to be working.

Easy explanation: Mom's the one with the money. Perfectly consistent with Dad gettin' his lovin' on the side.

14 hours ago, Tom Sewell said:
14 hours ago, Yzjdriel said:

Easy explanation: Mom's the one with the money. Perfectly consistent with Dad gettin' his lovin' on the side.

The idea is that after France, Nanase and Susan barely kept in contact, Susan had said they didn't really get along during the majority of the trip, they had to work together to fight the vampire, but then afterwards they didn't really want anything to do with one another but kept their contacts as a "just in case" considering what they learned during the trip. When Susan called up Nanase to help with the goo, she called Nanase a slut, and Nanase (after hanging up) called Susan a "biz-atch". Then when Ellen invited Susan to join them for movie watch, Nanase didn't like the idea of Susan's suggestion of going to her house instead of Ellen's, right there with the "what's so great about your house anyway?" remark should be an indication that Nanase had never been to Susan's house before. Nanase's comment "Susan's leading us into the Snoot Creak Subdivision?" came off as surprise that Susan lived  in that neighbour hood, but she then added "I guess I shouldn't be surprised, given the size of that TV she mentioned and three guest rooms..."

The reason Nanase decided that she needed to talk to Susan about her being bothered by her attraction to Ellen, was because she was afraid of how Ellen or Justin would react, and she didn't really enjoy the idea of talking to Susan about it either but Susan was her best choice out of the three, it wasn't because of any bond between then, it was purely circumstantial, but it did lead to actual bonding.

On 27/11/2017 at 10:30 AM, Tom Sewell said:

On 27/11/2017 at 10:44 AM, The Old Hack said:

http://www.egscomics.com/index.php?id=380

According to this, Susan was really just the best option out of several bad choices.

7 hours ago, Don Edwards said:

People who have been through really hard situations together, like Nanase and Susan were, often develop a deep confidence and trust in each other.

Without necessarily liking each other.

Not an uncommon situation in, for example, a military training context. An officer or noncom who is deeply loathed for putting you through hell can nonetheless also be respected for all the effort they put into building the team and keeping it together. Often expressed in some form of "He is a bastard, but he is our bastard." This doesn't happen always, of course, but in general soldiers aren't stupid and they can tell when the officer in charge actually cares about what they are doing as opposed to being a mere sadist glorying in power.

It sometimes comes as a bit of a surprise for the people involved when they realise it. But it has a strange sort of logic to it. The officer put them through hell, so now they will follow that same officer into Hell.

It goes without saying that the soldiers are also highly likely to feel the same way towards each other.

Not just the officers. The soldiers, for each other - "I know that guy will stand by me as we go through hell, because he did exactly that in Basic. He's a jerk and an arsehole, I don't want him around my family, but when we're up against the wall he'll be there for me and I'll be there for him."

4 hours ago, Don Edwards said:

Not just the officers. The soldiers, for each other - "I know that guy will stand by me as we go through hell, because he did exactly that in Basic. He's a jerk and an arsehole, I don't want him around my family, but when we're up against the wall he'll be there for me and I'll be there for him."

I did mention the soldiers, I thought? *scratches head*

Mind you, it is worth mentioning that if you fail to carry your weight in this kind of situation, your name will be mud or worse. Importantly, this doesn't mean falling a bit short; someone who does their best but can't always quite keep up may still be part of this, especially if they still have some areas they excel in. It is committing the mortal sin of persistently dawdling or shoving your own duties off on others whenever you are able to that can and will make you a pariah.

This is another one of those moments where I can't remember if anyone's mentioned this before, though it's possible people noticed at the time this particular comic was released and I wasn't part of the forums back that.

In Death Sentence, when Grace tells Tedd she's going for a walk, there's something on the desk with him. I'm pretty certain that's the pendant Dex had. I had originally thought it was some USB thing that Tedd used to transfer spell data to his glove (since he was working on the glove at the time) but now it seems likely that the pendant didn't make it to Edward, so the question is, where is it now and will it turn up again?