• Announcements

• Robin

Welcome!   03/05/2016

Welcome, everyone, to the new 910CMX Community Forums. I'm still working on getting them running, so things may change.  If you're a 910 Comic creator and need your forum recreated, let me know and I'll get on it right away.  I'll do my best to make this new place as fun as the last one!
Zorua

Things You Only Noticed On Reread

Just now, Tom Sewell said:

There isn't anyplace closer to Chicago than Ontario where a 19-year-old can buy booze legally

You're assuming that everyone at the party was under 21 though, which probably isn't the case, and even the 19 year olds could have smuggled booze in after they got a 21+ person to buy it for them. When I turned 19, I had several 16-17 year olds, including my brother, ask me to buy beer for them.

Just now, Tom Sewell said:

It just struck me as peculiar that no one in that story mentioned anything about the legal drinking age, even Mama Kitsune talking to Nanase about drinking.

Just now, Illjwamh said:

Why would they mention it? Everyone knows what it is, and everyone knows everyone else knows what it is. That would be like finding it weird they didn't talk about the need to wear clothes at the party.

Also, it's pretty much a given that college parties are going to have underage drinking. The fact that Nanase had to promise her mom that she and Ellen wouldn't drink at the party would imply that Mama Kitsune was emphasizing the legality (or lack of) of it, but Nanase also mentioned that there'd be situations where she would drink as long as certain conditions were met. I think Mama Kitsune would have been ok with Nanase drinking if say it was Grace's 21st birthday and they were all at Tedd's house with Edward not far and they stayed overnight again. Grace being 21 at that point would make her legal age but she's the oldest of the group, everyone else would still be underage.

I had a roommate on the women's gymnastics team in college, and she said that she and her teammates (not sure how much of the team) were going to get together, and the younger team members would be able to drink for the first time, and experience what getting drunk was like, in a safe environment where they had their older teammates, still sober, to look after them and make sure they didn't do anything stupid.  It sounded like the sort of thing that could potentially be abused and turn into hazing, but if it wasn't, it might be a way to remove some of the pressure some college kids feel, that they are supposed to find out what drinking and getting drunk was like now that they're "adults."  Once they've already done it, then they could be more confident telling others, "No, thanks, two's my limit" or "I get sick when I drink, and you don't want to have to clean that up," or somesuch.  Again, not ideal, but maybe better than the alternatives, such as going to a party with only friends the same age who are equally inexperienced....

25 minutes ago, CritterKeeper said:

I had a roommate on the women's gymnastics team in college, and she said that she and her teammates (not sure how much of the team) were going to get together, and the younger team members would be able to drink for the first time, and experience what getting drunk was like, in a safe environment where they had their older teammates, still sober, to look after them and make sure they didn't do anything stupid.  It sounded like the sort of thing that could potentially be abused and turn into hazing, but if it wasn't, it might be a way to remove some of the pressure some college kids feel, that they are supposed to find out what drinking and getting drunk was like now that they're "adults."  Once they've already done it, then they could be more confident telling others, "No, thanks, two's my limit" or "I get sick when I drink, and you don't want to have to clean that up," or somesuch.  Again, not ideal, but maybe better than the alternatives, such as going to a party with only friends the same age who are equally inexperienced....

Mph. As a kid I never did see the attraction. I was the social outcast and responded in the very mature way of taking pride in never doing what the other kids thought was cool. Drinking was one of these things.

Also, my mother was an alcoholic and drank enough to ruin four lives. This led me to a conclusion I have not once had any reason to change. If I don't begin, I don't have to stop.

6 hours ago, The Old Hack said:

Mph. As a kid I never did see the attraction. I was the social outcast and responded in the very mature way of taking pride in never doing what the other kids thought was cool. Drinking was one of these things.

Also, my mother was an alcoholic and drank enough to ruin four lives. This led me to a conclusion I have not once had any reason to change. If I don't begin, I don't have to stop.

Pretty much the same thing for me, except it was my father who was the alcoholic, and he managed to stop before it completely ruined his life - though it took a number of tries over several years (not to mention a lot of help from Alcoholics Anonymous). As those years constituted a large chunk of my childhood, it made a big impression on me.

2 minutes ago, ChronosCat said:

Pretty much the same thing for me, except it was my father who was the alcoholic, and he managed to stop before it completely ruined his life - though it took a number of tries over several years (not to mention a lot of help from Alcoholics Anonymous). As those years constituted a large chunk of my childhood, it made a big impression on me.

I am really glad he succeeded. And I am sorry you had to go through that.

15 hours ago, The Old Hack said:

Same here, thankfully with no tragic family alcoholism story behind it.  I just didn't see the appeal nor the need.  I could relax and enjoy myself without any artificial help, and I grew up in a university town reading stories in the paper almost every weekend about kids getting drunk and falling off balconies, wandering into traffic, or getting mugged walking/staggering home from bars or parties in the wee hours.  Seemed to be all down side, no up side.

Just now, CritterKeeper said:

Same here, thankfully with no tragic family alcoholism story behind it.  I just didn't see the appeal nor the need.  I could relax and enjoy myself without any artificial help, and I grew up in a university town reading stories in the paper almost every weekend about kids getting drunk and falling off balconies, wandering into traffic, or getting mugged walking/staggering home from bars or parties in the wee hours.  Seemed to be all down side, no up side.

Add in that I felt really uncomfortable when people around me started to drink -- and yes, I am aware of the irony that I didn't understand why until much later -- and I had less than zero motivation to start.

23 hours ago, The Old Hack said:

With my background, I was raised to not drink alcohol, not that it was hard to not drink alcohol. I doubt I'll ever start knowing it'd be against my religion and all that.

9 hours ago, CritterKeeper said:

There may be more to why Edward doesn't want Tedd to know about his mom.  "'Why' doesn't matter. You're burdened with enough secrets."

Maybe he's keeping up the notion that Nanase's been keeping her magic and such secret from her mother, we know that Mama Kitsune knows, and we know that she doesn't want Nanase to know that she knows, and it's not Edward's place to say anything about that.

Not the usual re-read noticing, but I just noticed that the source comic from ye olde Pointing Justin Meme was uploaded on my 8th birthday http://egscomics.com/comic/2005-04-19 Which I suppose is fitting given that on the rare occasions I do post here it's usually on the slays thread.

On 6/30/2019 at 4:30 PM, Sonicfan said:

Not the usual re-read noticing, but I just noticed that the source comic from ye olde Pointing Justin Meme was uploaded on my 8th birthday 

Hmm, trying to make us feel old, or is that just a side effect?  ;-)  :-P

14 hours ago, InfiniteRemnant said:

it occurs to me in egsnp/2016-02-29 is sarah imagining stealing male-grace-as-her's pants, or "imagining" doing that? it is after she got her first spell...

Actually, MV5 takes place before squirrel prophet, so Sarah doesn't have her spell yet. I dunno if thoughts like that would have made it easier for Pandora to sense Sarah's affinity though? It makes sense if an affinity manifested as a particular behaviour, like Sarah's active imagination. Other examples might be Rhoda's skewed perception of size leading to an affinity for size related spells (thought it's not confirmed whether she has an affinity) and Catalina's cattiness (she's confirmed as having a name based affinity).

question mark is egsnp/2015-02-23... a solid year before the above mentioned strip... if they're in the other order chronologically why did the later event go up nearly a year before the former? That's just confusing.

6 minutes ago, InfiniteRemnant said:

question mark is egsnp/2015-02-23... a solid year before the above mentioned strip... if they're in the other order chronologically why did the later event go up nearly a year before the former? That's just confusing.

Sayeth The Dan

Eventually (now, I guess), I decided I needed to do another storyline, and this was the storyline I was ready to do. As such, I'm just being as vague as possible as to when exactly it takes place, and will fill in that blank later if, and only if, I decide it needs filling. Really, strict adherance to the timeline is a major hindrance for these sort of storylines. "After ____, but before _____" is about as specific as needed, with those blanks being things that have clearly happened or not happened yet.

So yeah, It's just confusing.

On 8/8/2019 at 10:13 PM, InfiniteRemnant said:

It's not chronological though, because "Marker/Escape from the Mall" was made well after MV5, but takes place near Halloween during the last time skip. Also, keep in mind that in terms of Comic Time, "Question Mark" takes place on the same day that "Playing with Dolls", and if you want to be down to the minute, I'd be bold enough to say that "Question Mark"'s story starts before "Playing with Dolls" and Dan did "Playing with Dolls" months before "Question Mark" in terms of telling the story.

On 8/8/2019 at 10:19 PM, mlooney said:

Sayeth The Dan

Eventually (now, I guess), I decided I needed to do another storyline, and this was the storyline I was ready to do. As such, I'm just being as vague as possible as to when exactly it takes place, and will fill in that blank later if, and only if, I decide it needs filling. Really, strict adherance to the timeline is a major hindrance for these sort of storylines. "After ____, but before _____" is about as specific as needed, with those blanks being things that have clearly happened or not happened yet.

So yeah, It's just confusing.

But then we have this at the end of MV5:

I mentioned waaaaaay back at the start of this storyline that I wasn't sure where it should fit in the timeline. I also said Tedd would be in the storyline, and I guess this makes that technically true, though I had originally planned him being in more of it.

No later than around the time Sarah started contemplating her place on the kinsey scale, I decided it would be most appropriate if this storyline took place sometime before the card tournament (and Sarah's "I'm at most a two" moment). I was also leaning towards "the past" early on (Nanase fairy with Susan, anyone?), but was still undecided.

Not terribly far in the past. I don't want to set a specific date on it (mostly because I'm not sure when it should be), but it's pretty darn recent in the timeline, wherever the heck exactly it fits.

I also decided Tedd's hair would be the most natural way to make this clear. I didn't want sudden narration without warning saying "DAN DECIDED THIS WAS THE PAST", nor did I want it in some random location in the story. At the end isn't an ideal place to establish that, but hey, it's a place that won't be missed.

So because of that we've narrowed down when MV5 takes place between Elliot and Sarah's breakup which is evident by Sarah's frustration over being thought of as a sister, and Squirrel Prophet as evident by Tedd having long hair.

I think that the fantasy art, in panel 6 of this strip has got to be one of my favourite single panels in all of EGS.  It reflects so much of the inner character of so many of the main cast.

43 minutes ago, Don Edwards said:

I'm not sure that art accurately reflects Susan - after all, she has expressed some interest in watching.

Good point.  It does reflect her some what conflicted thoughts about female nudity however.

On 1/23/2020 at 11:58 AM, Don Edwards said:

I'm not sure that art accurately reflects Susan - after all, she has expressed some interest in watching.

On 1/23/2020 at 0:43 PM, mlooney said:

Good point.  It does reflect her some what conflicted thoughts about female nudity however.

I think Panel 2 of this page reflects Susan's interest in watching more.

It's kinda funny really, we've had Susan have fantasy's of Elliot and Catalina doing things, due to Susan being attracted to Elliot and having wished she could be bi-curious with. But despite the fact that the Squirrel Prophet image is in Sarah's imagination and we know Sarah's libido would of course have her thinking of Elliot and Justin in sexy ways, I do wonder if Susan would also think of Justin that way considering she not only had a hope of a relationship with him before finding out he was gay, but then there was the "whoops" at Grace's birthday that ended up with them being closer as friends (though I also wonder if part of what made Susan kiss Justin was related to the aforementioned hope of a relationship being somewhat more subtle that Nanase's reasoning for going to the party), but after Elliot and Ashley got together Susan stated that Elliot was comparable to Justin, so it could be possible that if Susan has fantasized about Catalina and Elliot together, then maybe she's also fantasized about Justin and Elliot.

It just dawned on me, reading "There be Whales Here" that Susan is pretty much guaranteed to not get Coronavirus. Her habit of using hand sanitizer after every contact with another person's hand should stop it in it tracks.

8 hours ago, ijuin said:

It would be, except (I thought) the virus is spread via airborne particles as well?

This is true, however all the things I have read say that frequent hand washing is your best defense against it.

23 hours ago, mlooney said:

This is true, however all the things I have read say that frequent hand washing is your best defense against it.

Yesterday, we just got a confirmed case the next county over, dude returned from Washington State. What was weird was how quickly everybody knew about it. OK, also weird was that I heard about it on BBC news.