• Announcements

• Robin

Welcome!   03/05/2016

Welcome, everyone, to the new 910CMX Community Forums. I'm still working on getting them running, so things may change.  If you're a 910 Comic creator and need your forum recreated, let me know and I'll get on it right away.  I'll do my best to make this new place as fun as the last one!
Zorua

Things You Only Noticed On Reread

There is also something called Androgen Insensitivity Syndrome. It's essentially a defect in the receptors for one or more male hormones, particularly testosterone. Genetic males with this defect are divided into three categories depending on how severe it is. The moderate form is the easiest to detect, as it causes the person to be born recognizably intersex. Males with the mild form are less fertile or perhaps sterile, while males with the severe form seem to be completely female - and, quite often, unusually shapely - but are sterile.

Genetic females with it... are more shapely than they would be otherwise. They are NOT less fertile.

The shapeliness occurs because in the female body, the major source of testosterone is fat cells... such as what fills in breast development and widening hips in puberty... and the androgen receptors are a major part of what tell the body to stop enhancing those areas. The bigger the boobs, the more body fat in them, therefore the more androgens saying "okay that's enough" - and nobody's listening.

On 6/20/2016 at 3:47 PM, Scotty said:

Just did a quick search to see if it was possible for females to have XY chromosomes instead of XX. There is a genetic disorder called Swyer Syndrome that does this, but a couple of the main problems with this syndrome is that the ovaries never developed properly and most often become cancerous so they end up getting removed at an early age, also the person would need hormone replacement therapy during puberty to get the breasts and uterus growing. Females that have this syndrome apparently can still get pregnant if a donated fertilized egg or embryo is used.

If the TFG didn't modify the DNA, Ellen might be able to get away with saying she has Swyer Syndrome, although she would have fully functional ovaries because one of the TFG's purposes was to allow for populations to balance their male/female groups for reproduction, but she could still use that as an excuse if the baby her and Nanase had ended up looking like Ellen/Elliot and say that because she has Swyer Syndrome, Nanase donated the egg and Elliot donated the sperm because an egg from Ellen would likely have the same DNA as Elliot's sperm anyway.

Of course, when I referring to the TFG as applied to Ellen, I mean more about when Tedd zapped Elliot. I guess it should be noted that I am unsure whether the dewitchery diamond would have corrected any genetic oddity like changing XY to XX when it created Ellen or if all it did was create an exact duplicate of Elliot right down to the genetic level and not even know that there should be a genetic difference between males and females.

You're writing this post as if Ellen would have had to grow up with such a genetic code. I imagined that, when Elliot was zapped by the TF gun, his genetic code stayed the same but his body transformed.

Ellen wouldn't have "grown up" with Swyer Syndrome, nor would it look like she grew up with it. Instead, she looks like a normal human female, but at age 16 (or however old Elliot was when he got transformed), her genetic code said XY instead of XX. What kind of effect does it have if your genetic code says male after going through a perfectly normal female puberty and having all the female parts? Would Ellen be infertile?

I would assume that the TF gun changes someone's genetics to get around such issues.

1 hour ago, Maplestrip said:

You're writing this post as if Ellen would have had to grow up with such a genetic code. I imagined that, when Elliot was zapped by the TF gun, his genetic code stayed the same but his body transformed.

Ellen wouldn't have "grown up" with Swyer Syndrome, nor would it look like she grew up with it. Instead, she looks like a normal human female, but at age 16 (or however old Elliot was when he got transformed), her genetic code said XY instead of XX. What kind of effect does it have if your genetic code says male after going through a perfectly normal female puberty and having all the female parts? Would Ellen be infertile?

I would assume that the TF gun changes someone's genetics to get around such issues.

I was more like saying that because females can be born with XY instead of XX, Ellen could use Swyer's Syndrome as an explaination if someone ever did a DNA test. Of course the doctor that does the test might assume it anyway. But yeah Swyer's would normally make the female infertile which wouldn't be the case for Ellen because the TFG would have prevented that with Elliot and the diamond wouldn't likely know that Ellen with XY is wrong.

Wouldn't be surprised if in the EGS-verse a substantial number of people have XXU or XYU where U is a trace of long-ago Uryuom ancestry they might not even be aware of.

We don't know exactly how long ago Uryuoms have been in contact with humans. They've been on Earth long enough at minimum that second-generation Seyunolu are now coming of age (1947 suggests itself as a "first contact" date), but there are clues that they have had interstellar flight for at least 250 years (Uryuoms fought in the American Revolution in the Second Life universe).

Anyway, we're not certain if Uryuoms have been around humans for a human to have an Uryuom as a long-forgotten ancestor instead of just a grandparent or great-grandparent.

1 hour ago, ijuin said:

We don't know exactly how long ago Uryuoms have been in contact with humans. They've been on Earth long enough at minimum that second-generation Seyunolu are now coming of age (1947 suggests itself as a "first contact" date), but there are clues that they have had interstellar flight for at least 250 years (Uryuoms fought in the American Revolution in the Second Life universe).

Anyway, we're not certain if Uryuoms have been around humans for a human to have an Uryuom as a long-forgotten ancestor instead of just a grandparent or great-grandparent.

Considering all the ancient stories of people from the sky visiting Earth, I wouldn't be surprised if Uryuoms had been in contact with us for millennia.

Heck, maybe the great flood and Noah's Ark story did happen, and Uryuoms were there to help the survivors.

On 2016/7/11 at 1:37 AM, SeriousJupiter said:

I hope never. I'm tired of Dan's rants about Star Wars.

Meh, I've never seen the star wars in full (seen one episode but that's it) but I find it to be alright. It's interesting to hear what the characters have to say about it as well. But I can understand why it might be annoying to have an update be just characters talking about star wars instead of actual story progress.

On the other and, upon re-read I noticed that whatever it is Tedd has seem to be similar to what the immortals have. Note that Tedds eyes (in battle mode) look similar to Pandora's eyes when she releases her power / decides to look scary; granted this could just be an artistic choice, but since Dan has had many ways of depicting power change since very early on I found it more likely that it is related. Supported by the fact that Pandora somehow considers Tedd her God-grandson which in my opinion probably draws some evidence that Pandora not only knows what Tedd is, but also has positive associations with it which for Pandora is very rare. So far Pandora is seen to care only about Blaike, Raven, Sarah, and Tedd. And she mostly just wants to have fun seeing what Sarah does. So I find it to likely be important that Pandora likes Tedd.

I also noticed upon re-read that Tedd is banned from the girls cloth section of the mall, no idea if Dan plans to ever re-use this gag but I would love it if he did XD. Also just remembered that Tedd has a stock of girls' clothing too (according to Grace).

In retrospect, that is a deuced unlikely ban. Women's clothing is probably sold at the majority of the outlets in the mall, which are always spread out geographically. He would have to be banned from stores specifically catering to women, and the women's sections of stores which provide clothing to men as well. Not all stores have the resources to keep a list of banned customers, and few malls have enough security staff to enforce a mall-wide ban, much less one dealing with a subset of the establishments within. Anyway, I very much doubt Dan will revisit the gag, for it was from an early phase of the comic and it wasn't well executed.

4 hours ago, banneret said:

In retrospect, that is a deuced unlikely ban. Women's clothing is probably sold at the majority of the outlets in the mall, which are always spread out geographically. He would have to be banned from stores specifically catering to women, and the women's sections of stores which provide clothing to men as well. Not all stores have the resources to keep a list of banned customers, and few malls have enough security staff to enforce a mall-wide ban, much less one dealing with a subset of the establishments within. Anyway, I very much doubt Dan will revisit the gag, for it was from an early phase of the comic and it wasn't well executed.

I also think that Tedd's more mature than he was earlier in the comic. The reasons for the original ban could have partly been creeping out other customers and maybe even a misunderstanding due to fact that he's genderfluid but didn't know it at the time. Tedd asking about clothes for himself in the creepy perverted manner he used to have likely got him into a fair bit of trouble. Nowadays though, Grace has helped him understand what he is and the fact that she shares a lot of his interests and even encourages some of his habits at home means he doesn't have near as many incidents in public.

5 hours ago, banneret said:

1 hour ago, Scotty said:

I also think that Tedd's more mature than he was earlier in the comic. The reasons for the original ban could have partly been creeping out other customers and maybe even a misunderstanding due to fact that he's genderfluid but didn't know it at the time. Tedd asking about clothes for himself in the creepy perverted manner he used to have likely got him into a fair bit of trouble. Nowadays though, Grace has helped him understand what he is and the fact that she shares a lot of his interests and even encourages some of his habits at home means he doesn't have near as many incidents in public.

I believe that Dan put it this way: that 2002 plotholes live in their own little world and that he will likely never get around to fixing all of them. He just sort of ignores them and ascribes them to inexperience.

5 hours ago, The Old Hack said:

I believe that Dan put it this way: that 2002 plotholes live in their own little world and that he will likely never get around to fixing all of them. He just sort of ignores them and ascribes them to inexperience.

In terms of revisiting gags, thats understandable, there's only been a few times where he's made callbacks (spontaneous hair colour changes, the griffin, lockpicking gorilla, etc) I don't expected him to do callbacks for them all. Then again, Tedd's mention of being banned from the women's clothing section is just one part of Tedd's story which would also include the time he tried to get a set of girls uniforms at school and ended up having to trade with Susan, so we could see more that kind of stuff, just not the exact same.

But as I said, I'd like to think that Tedd hasn't felt the need to do things that might end up getting him into trouble since him and Grace starting being serious, even Ellen said that before Grace, Tedd was snarky, made inappropriate comments and was kind of a jerk, after he started dating Grace he became much less of a jerk. So yeah, I could see him being banned from that section of the mall if he made some inappropriate comments and acted like a jerk.

13 hours ago, Scotty said:

So yeah, I could see him being banned from that section of the mall if he made some inappropriate comments and acted like a jerk.

It would take so much more than that to get banned from a store in a large mall...

2 hours ago, Matoyak said:

It would take so much more than that to get banned from a store in a large mall...

Back in the day I got banned from a store for writing a 2 line computer program on their display C64

10 PRINT "This is a computer"

20 GOTO 10

The sales person didn't know how to stop it.

Perhaps not formally banned.

But if the director of mall security was ex-FBI and knew Agent Edward Verres...

Howzabowt this?

Years ago, Tedd had a habit of inappropriate, but not necessarily criminal, behavior in the mall.  Particularly in a part of the mall with several stores specializing in intimate apparel and young women's fashions, but not much else to interest the techno teen crowd.

Eventually, young Tedd is again caught behaving in an unbecoming manner.  Dad's friend in mall security "arrests" Tedd, leads him to the security office, and reads him the riot act.  Edward shows up looking distraught.  Edward and the guard leave Tedd alone long enough to develop a healthy level of paranoia.  When they come back in, they announce that they have reached an agreement which Tedd WILL abide by.  He can go to the drug store next to the food court, because that's where he buys his oral hygiene supplies (remember, they accept coupons).  But he may not go farther down that corridor.  And he must use the exterior doors to enter and leave the Seers Robot at the end of that corridor.  Also, security WILL be watching Tedd anytime he is anywhere in or near the mall.

Of course none of this is legally enforceable.  But if this was about the same time he started working on the Uryuom tech, he might have been young and naïve enough to fall for it.  By his junior year of high school, he might have said "I'm banned from that end of the mall" so many times, he doesn't even think of statement's plausibility.

14 hours ago, Amiable Dorsai said:

This comic and this award-winning costume at the 2014 Worldcon.

Dalek dresses have been quite popular for several years now.  This dress first appeared at the first TeslaCon on the older sister, and it reappeared on younger sister last year at TeslaCon 5.  They're challenged for Cutest Dalek by This one and this one (love the mixer part).  Technically, I think I'm more impressed with this half dalek, half TARDIS example.  Back in 2009 the hat and plunger arm at the least are very similar to your link.

The Doctor Who costume I think impressed me the most was a TARDIS dress which had a clasp at the waist which the maker could unhook, and swing the front of the dress open to reveal a gorgeous TARDIS interior panel.  Haven't been able to find a picture of it yet.  There've been some awesome Weeping Angels, too, although those have to be performed right to really work!

ETA: Found it!

Edited by CritterKeeper

2 hours ago, mlooney said:

I say Sarah, because at a glance, people would think she'd be the least likely to do anything bad ass. :)

I like Sarah's the best.  It's got the most style. 

For pure badassery, I gotta give it to Disco Wizard.  If he understands who he is dealing with, and he should, having a human, any human, give orders to an Immortal hundreds of year past her reset point with all the power and awareness that implies, is seriously badass.

I read back a bit and noticed the similarity between the EGS:NP image of cloud Pandora and her form when she was shown watching Nanase and Ellen joke about having a instant V5 lingerie party using Ellen's beam?

I feel like this might hint that what we are about to get is what Pandora did or what she was planning or why she made that plan.

12 minutes ago, rhjason said:

I read back a bit and noticed the similarity between the EGS:NP image of cloud Pandora and her form when she was shown watching Nanase and Ellen joke about having a instant V5 lingerie party using Ellen's beam?

I feel like this might hint that what we are about to get is what Pandora did or what she was planning or why she made that plan.

It was Elliot and Ellen that were joking about the lingerie beam, but that happened back in I think March of the previous year, the new NP is taking place months later in October, I think Dan is just showing us that Pandora hasn't dropped the spooky cloud routine.

As for what the NP will be about? Considering Pandora had up until this point already created the energy clog, marked Dex, Justin and Rhoda and proclaimed that she will "destroy the world" and replace it with one that Adrian can act freely in. So...what else could she do? Well, this might be when she marks Catalina, as well as Luke and one of his friends. She also might observe Magus and Sirleck's progress even though she said she wouldn't help Magus anymore.