• Announcements

• Robin

Welcome!   03/05/2016

Welcome, everyone, to the new 910CMX Community Forums. I'm still working on getting them running, so things may change.  If you're a 910 Comic creator and need your forum recreated, let me know and I'll get on it right away.  I'll do my best to make this new place as fun as the last one!
Zorua

Things You Only Noticed On Reread

28 minutes ago, Andrea said:

Guys! Agent Cranium totally is the girl with Sarah's power, who got strong-armed into government work: http://www.egscomics.com/index.php?id=1695

http://elgoonishshive.wikia.com/wiki/El_Goonish_Shive_Theories#Agent_Cranium_is_the_other_person_with_Sarah.27s_spell_that_Pandora_Raven_refers_to_in_this_comic.

I know!  I theorized as much a while back, so I put it on the wiki.  Cheers for putting that together!

:beerchug:

There is a significant possibility that if the excessive ambient magical energy around Moperville is reduced or removed then Sarah will lose the ability to cast her spell.

Agent Cranium is powerful.  But is she powerful enough to keep using her version of the time out spell if the magic pool is drained?

58 minutes ago, ijuin said:

Cranium is powerful enough to be regularly paired with "one of the most powerful wizards in the midwestern United States".

That does not necessarily indicate her power level. It could be any of a number of reasons ranging from skillset, brains, reliability, security clearance and so forth, or even all of them.

12 minutes ago, The Old Hack said:

That does not necessarily indicate her power level. It could be any of a number of reasons ranging from skillset, brains, reliability, security clearance and so forth, or even all of them.

The DGB should have some kind of magical gym for regular spell use to build power and get Agents new spells.

If Cranium has the same spell, or even a similar one, it could account for her position in itself. The spell is very powerful, she need not have a great many other talents to prove valuable.

51 minutes ago, banneret said:

If Cranium has the same spell, or even a similar one, it could account for her position in itself. The spell is very powerful, she need not have a great many other talents to prove valuable.

She is a member of the FBI. You don't get to be that without a lot of training, testing and education. The spell itself might get her a position as outside consultant. It wouldn't be enough to get her the actual badge.

48 minutes ago, banneret said:

I agree, hence "talents" rather than "skills". I was referring to her placement with her partner, rather than being in the Bureau to begin with, sorry about the ambiguity.

I would caution against underestimating Agent Cranium.  Maybe she has a spell similar to Sarah's. Maybe not.  But I don;t think she's all that weak in a fight.

The best estimator of Cranium's ability is that she has twice been deployed against potentially harmful magical threats.  She and Wolf were the first responders to Nanase's fight with Abraham and they were both on the scene again when word got to Ed Verres about not-Tengue.  (As an aside, there's also a female member of Agent Jaguar's team deployed at the end of Painted Black, but she is not identified, let alone identified as Cranium).

Between Cranium and Wolf, Wolf could be the bigger combat monster of the two, or be considered "more powerful" by some other measure, but nobody seems to have any reservations about sending Cranium into danger.  She could easily be the second most powerful mage in the midwest.  Or the third.

2 hours ago, Vorlonagent said:

She and Wolf were the first responders to Nanase's fight with Abraham and they were both on the scene again when word got to Ed Verres about not-Tengue. 

I think that comes more from the fact that they're agents who were working under Edward, and still loyal to him despite Edward getting transferred and Arthur taking over.

For the Abraham incident, Edward could have told them to get in there as they were closer or they could just get there faster, and Edward arrived shortly after. For the Not_Tengu incident, Edward either didn't have the official capacity to call them in, but they did so anyway, or he was able to officially request agents and specifically asked for Wolf and Cranium.

Cranium certainly showed her loyalty when she called in the heads up about Arthur being on TV.

I have no doubt that Cranium has earned her status as an FBI agent and paranormal responder through a traditional blend of Hard Work, Talent, Opportunity, and Extremely Hard Work.

Asside from one snooping spell, just how powerful she is as a magic user relative to others is not easily determined by what we have seen so far in the comic.

I was wondering if she would be able to use her snooping spell after the ambient magic level is reduced.  This is, of course, working from the presumption that her analysis spell that seems to be similar to Sarah's requires a similarly large pool of magic to activate.  In other words, just how big is her personal battery of magic?

Similarly, how quickly will personal batteries of magic recharge once the ambient magic is reduced?

On 11/24/2016 at 7:49 PM, The Old Hack said:

To be fair, the original statement was '1000 triremes'. A single PT would not carry even nearly enough missiles for that, I don't think. Mind, you are right in that the missiles it did carry would probably make the poor twits think about other things than keeping formation. (If you even could make a formation to begin with with a fleet that huge, given the lack of communications at the time.)

Mph. I feel that this was a rather optimistic way of thinking. A 37mm would barely even bother most German tanks of around 1940 or 1941 unless you somehow got them in the rear plate. In 1943 I doubt it could kill any sort of German main line battle tank at all. Okay, it would probably work fine against Japanese 'tanks', but frankly speaking, these barely qualified for the definition.

Actually the German tanks of 1940 or 1941 were all vulnerable to 37mm antitank guns. It wasn't until they ran into the T34 that they were outmatched. We get the impression from war movies that all the German tanks were giant Tigers with 88mm guns, but there actually weren't that many of them. The most-produced German tank of the war, the Panzer IV, was actually smaller than our Sherman, although the later models had about the same armor protection and a better gun--but not an 88. We decided to concentrate on building a lot of Shermans before we faced the newer models or the improved older ones.

BTW, our Abrams of today is armed with a gun designed by the same company which designed the Tiger's gun.

Ok, I hate to say this, but I honestly had no idea the person Elliot was dreaming about the night before he asked Ashley out (Asian, with pigtails) was still Tedd.

Fuck it. I think I'm officially a shipper now.

2 hours ago, Dabat said:

Ok, I hate to say this, but I honestly had no idea the person Elliot was dreaming about the night before he asked Ashley out (Asian, with pigtails) was still Tedd.

Don't feel bad. Haven't you ever had a fluid dream, where one reality flows into the next? As far as Elliot was concerned, Tedd most likely left the picture some while ago.

Just now, ProfessorTomoe said:

Don't feel bad. Haven't you ever had a fluid dream, where one reality flows into the next? As far as Elliot was concerned, Tedd most likely left the picture some while ago.

Don't forget, way back Elliot had a dream where he placed Tedd as his wife and Ellen's mother. Mind you just prior to the dream Ellen had revived the notion of Elliot being her mommy and we know how Elliot felt about that.

20 hours ago, ProfessorTomoe said:

In that situation I normally accept the dreams for what they are, but then again they're my dreams so I already understand them. My "I didn't realize" moment was that I didn't know the person Elliot was kissing was extra-fem Tedd.

Given that both Elliot's dream version of extra-girly Tedd and Tedd's own Mark Spell extra-girly form have pigtails, I think that means that Elliot is aware of Tedd having a preference for pigtails?