• Announcements

• Robin

Welcome!   03/05/2016

Welcome, everyone, to the new 910CMX Community Forums. I'm still working on getting them running, so things may change.  If you're a 910 Comic creator and need your forum recreated, let me know and I'll get on it right away.  I'll do my best to make this new place as fun as the last one!
Zorua

Things You Only Noticed On Reread

1 hour ago, Darth Fluffy said:

also weird was that I heard about it on BBC news.

During the Second World War, people in occupied European territories would tune into the BBC to get accurate reports about what was happening in their own countries

On 3/2/2020 at 11:45 PM, ijuin said:

It would be, except (I thought) the virus is spread via airborne particles as well?

It's about as airborne as someone coughing in your face.

In this comic Sarah talks about things Pandora talked about with regard to Sarah' spell.  This is important for two reasons

1. She called Pandora Pandora, not Box
  2. That bit of information wasn't in any on screen talks between Pandora and Sarah

This means that either there was at least one other conversation between the two of them or that one of the other ones we know happened went on for more than we have seen.   This makes me wonder what else Pandora could have passed on to Sarah that we don't yet know about.

1 hour ago, mlooney said:

In this comic Sarah talks about things Pandora talked about with regard to Sarah' spell.  This is important for two reasons

1. She called Pandora Pandora, not Box
  2. That bit of information wasn't in any on screen talks between Pandora and Sarah

This means that either there was at least one other conversation between the two of them or that one of the other ones we know happened went on for more than we have seen.   This makes me wonder what else Pandora could have passed on to Sarah that we don't yet know about.

Tedd refers to Pandora as Pandora here. Also, she speaks directly to Mr. Raven here. It seems reasonable that she learned it directly from Tedd and that Mr. Raven would have confirmed it if needed.

26 minutes ago, The Old Hack said:

Tedd refers to Pandora as Pandora here. Also, she speaks directly to Mr. Raven here. It seems reasonable that she learned it directly from Tedd and that Mr. Raven would have confirmed it if needed.

I'm not worried so much about her calling Pandora Pandora as I am about the "new" information being shared.  It makes sense, in a way, to call her Pandora as more people know her by that name than as Box.

Here Arthur J Arthur  cast a sleep spell on Elliot, Ellen and Ashley.   How?  He's a seer meaning he has no spells of his own and he isn't using a wand. Unless he has a magic mark for casting a sleep spell something isn't right.

58 minutes ago, mlooney said:

Here Arthur J Arthur  cast a sleep spell on Elliot, Ellen and Ashley.   How?  He's a seer meaning he has no spells of his own and he isn't using a wand. Unless he has a magic mark for casting a sleep spell something isn't right.

The ring is a wand.

Edit: forgot to link this, as it shows that there's no ring on that hand when Arthur wakes up from the meeting with the WoM, so I'd take that to mean he had to get it before going to the facility.

It makes sense really, he knew he could make wands as he tried to make a training wand that resulted in Kevin, it wouldn't be too much for him to also think of making concealed wands in the form of a ring.

36 minutes ago, Scotty said:

The ring is a wand.

Edit: forgot to link this, as it shows that there's no ring on that hand when Arthur wakes up from the meeting with the WoM, so I'd take that to mean he had to get it before going to the facility.

It makes sense really, he knew he could make wands as he tried to make a training wand that resulted in Kevin, it wouldn't be too much for him to also think of making concealed wands in the form of a ring.

I had noticed the ring but assumed it was a just a ring.  Your idea makes sense.

Yes—the ring seems to be Arthur’s equivalent to Tedd’s watches—a small spell catalyst that draws from external energy instead of storing its own.

25 minutes ago, ijuin said:

Yes—the ring seems to be Arthur’s equivalent to Tedd’s watches—a small spell catalyst that draws from external energy instead of storing its own.

Makes sense.  I'll accept this as my current head canon...

19 minutes ago, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:

Then again,

Can't wizards, including seers, learn spells from other spell casters?

Or was is explicitly stated that Seers can only cast spells they learn from others through the wands they make?

https://www.egscomics.com/comic/2017-06-30

Looks like a seer can only cast magic via a wand or wand like device.

Ok, Thanks

Sometimes it is difficult to recall all the details correctly
Just like I can't always remember how many animals Moses and Joan put on the Ark

But a thought does occur to me
What if the Seer rules were among the things that did change in the slight change?

7 minutes ago, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:

But a thought does occur to me
What if the Seer rules were among the things that did change in the slight change?

I don't think so, based on what Pandora says to Heka here.  Plus what the Emissary of Magic says here sure sounds like that seer's rules don't change when the rules in general for magic change. 

15 hours ago, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:

Sometimes it is difficult to recall all the details correctly
Just like I can't always remember how many animals Moses and Joan put on the Ark

<completely missing the point>

Scientists have documented about 1.2 million animal species, but this is only a small fraction of the total number of species out there; a brief search brought up the estimate 8.7 million a few times, but I also saw an estimate as high as 50 million.

Of course, this includes aquatic animals, which they didn't take on the big boat, but they did have at least two members of every animal species they took, so I think it's safe to say there were at least a few million animals on the boat.

...By the way, you forgot the guy the boat was named after.

</completely missing the point>

On 5/3/2020 at 10:52 PM, mlooney said:

I don't think so, based on what Pandora says to Heka here.  Plus what the Emissary of Magic says here sure sounds like that seer's rules don't change when the rules in general for magic change. 

On 5/4/2020 at 2:47 PM, ChronosCat said:

<completely missing the point>

Scientists have documented about 1.2 million animal species, but this is only a small fraction of the total number of species out there; a brief search brought up the estimate 8.7 million a few times, but I also saw an estimate as high as 50 million.

Of course, this includes aquatic animals, which they didn't take on the big boat, but they did have at least two members of every animal species they took, so I think it's safe to say there were at least a few million animals on the boat.

...By the way, you forgot the guy the boat was named after.

</completely missing the point>

Ugh. If I was going to pull a Thomas Jefferson and cut a piece out of my Bible, that would be the thing I'd cut. Something's not right there.

First off, it doesn't say 'species', that was not a term of the times. It says 'kinds' and does not elaborate. Ether way, it's still an enormous problem; if Noah saved a few root samples a few thousand years ago, how did they radiate into the multiplicity of species that we see today.

Geographic distribution is an even harder problem for the narrative. How did the bulk of marsupials end up in Australia? Why are the species of the hemispheres so distinct? It all makes sense until you add the flood, then it no longer holds water.

The flood narrative is not even unique to the Bible; it appears to be a retelling of earlier flood stories that were handed down. And, it is not stated to be an eye witness account.

My take on it is that the style of the era had a component of hyperbole, 'Greatest fool evar!' might mean, 'It was a big flood'. 'It covered the whole world' might mean 'it was so bad, the whole town got wet'. <shrug> I'd make more sense than taking it verbatim.

You've got to question the superlatives on general principles. 'Greatest flood evar!' - Orly? You've seen ALL THE OTHERS? You're absolutely certain that AN EXACT DUPLICATE WILL NOT OCCUR AND THEN BE TWO INCHES HIGHER? Sampson was the strongest man that ever lived. Orly? When were these tests done? Do you have the raw data that we can examine? Are you talking baseline Homo Sapiens, or are you including near relatives? Because some of them look awesome strong. 'But he slew hundreds with the jawbone of an ass!' Orly? Have you heard our president speak? Non-Christian example, 'Mohamed was the greatest prophet evar!' Orly? You've met all the others? What metric are you using for your comparison? Maybe you mean, "Of all the prophets, he said the best things about our culture."

Meh, whatever floats your boat.

The only way to wrap your head around that is to believe that the great flood wasn't a global event, and the animals saved were only from the local population.

9 hours ago, Darth Fluffy said:

My take on it is that the style of the era had a component of hyperbole, 'Greatest fool evar!' might mean, 'It was a big flood'. 'It covered the whole world' might mean 'it was so bad, the whole town got wet'. <shrug> I'd make more sense than taking it verbatim.

I mean, it could have been a big enough flood to still be considered biblical, though not global, like one theory has it that glacial melting from the last ice age rose sea levels to the point where it eventually flooded into what would become the Black Sea, all settlements in that region would have been wiped out.

1 minute ago, Scotty said:

The only way to wrap your head around that is to believe that the great flood wasn't a global event, and the animals saved were only from the local population.

I mean, it could have been a big enough flood to still be considered biblical, though not global, like one theory has it that glacial melting from the last ice age rose sea levels to the point where it eventually flooded into what would become the Black Sea, all settlements in that region would have been wiped out.

I can accept that. Go back far enough and Utah was Lake Bonneville. The Midwest was an inland sea.

1 minute ago, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:

And way way back to sometime in the late April, Ducks were swimming in my parking lot

Yeah, but you're from Flurdah, you're like two or three inches above your water table normally. And how do you have ducks? Don't the pelicans eat them?

14 minutes ago, Darth Fluffy said:

And how do you have ducks? Don't the pelicans eat them?

Ducks and Pelicans, as well as most of the other swimming, wading, and diving birds, tend to tolerate each other as long as they remember one thing

EVERYONE hates the Seagulls

53 minutes ago, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:

Ducks and Pelicans, as well as most of the other swimming, wading, and diving birds, tend to tolerate each other as long as they remember one thing

EVERYONE hates the Seagulls

I thought that the alligators ate all of them.

And that the manatees ate the alligators.