• Announcements

• Robin

Welcome!   03/05/2016

Welcome, everyone, to the new 910CMX Community Forums. I'm still working on getting them running, so things may change.  If you're a 910 Comic creator and need your forum recreated, let me know and I'll get on it right away.  I'll do my best to make this new place as fun as the last one!
Zorua

Things You Only Noticed On Reread

6 hours ago, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:

You forget that the most important rule for Cats is to always keep the human guessing

Me: "Is it 'Toss the horse shoes'?"

Cat: ...

Me: "Is it 'Moving on up.?"

Me: "Is it 'Hand me the pliers'?"

31 minutes ago, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:

He had a reason

He took the opinion of Tony and then cherry picked his evidence to support that conclusion

I should have said no good reason.

"Ronin" is someone that could be a good guy, if he stopped being friends with Tony. It's like I get the feeling that it was originally Tony, Ronin and Elliot that were friends when they were younger, and Elliot and Ronin had a lot in common, but when it came to Tony's behaviour, only Elliot had the ability to tell him to shove off.

3 hours ago, mlooney said:

Abraham throws what appears to be a dream catcher to do a massive sleep spell.  The problem I have with is is Abraham is new to the modern world and is English.  The dream catcher is a  Native American thing.  How did he get it?

Speculation: at a certain time that was the optimal shape for a sleep-spell charm - best combination of easy-to-discover and effective. Thus it would have been invented in multiple places around the world.

21 minutes ago, Don Edwards said:

Speculation: at a certain time that was the optimal shape for a sleep-spell charm - best combination of easy-to-discover and effective. Thus it would have been invented in multiple places around the world.

Maybe, but why would it not be mundanely known in more than Native American cultures?

46 minutes ago, mlooney said:

Maybe, but why would it not be mundanely known in more than Native American cultures?

Different universe, maybe it is?

8 minutes ago, Darth Fluffy said:

Different universe, maybe it is?

Well, if your going to bring facts into it about separate realities sure. 

5 hours ago, mlooney said:

Well, from what evidence we have, the Old World cultures started purging all knowledge of Magic somewhere around 1700, give or take a generation. (On the one hand, we have Issac Newton, the most rational Englishman of his generation, being an open practitioner of Alchemy, and on the other hand, we have accusations of Witchcraft starting to die off soon after.) New World cultures, on the other hand, had not had the degree of organization needed for such a continent-wide purge ever since the Spaniards toppled the Aztec and Inca nations. Thus, it may be that Old World cultures had such knowledge but it was suppressed.

10 hours ago, ijuin said:

Well, from what evidence we have, the Old World cultures started purging all knowledge of Magic somewhere around 1700, give or take a generation. (On the one hand, we have Issac Newton, the most rational Englishman of his generation, being an open practitioner of Alchemy, and on the other hand, we have accusations of Witchcraft starting to die off soon after.) New World cultures, on the other hand, had not had the degree of organization needed for such a continent-wide purge ever since the Spaniards toppled the Aztec and Inca nations. Thus, it may be that Old World cultures had such knowledge but it was suppressed.

I can live with this as a back story as to why Native American imagery is used by old world wizards.  On the other hand, while I'm thinking about it, this is the only use of a "magic item" that is a single use item we have seen so far.  All the other magic items we have seen so far are long term multi-use items.  I'm my be mistaken about the sleep thing being a single use item, but the way he used it sure made it look like a single use item.  He did not recover it after he used it, which would indicate it's single use status.

9 minutes ago, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:

The actual item was in the style of a generic traditional European mystic tradition

The pictured item resembles a Native American artifact to protect the innocent

OK, I can see that.

Or, Dan knew he wanted Abraham to throw Something, but didn't know what a traditional Euro-Wiz would use (besides a generic wand or potion bottle)

So he went with a Magical artifact from the wrong side of the Atlantic

The real culprit here is the lack of mystical history education in public schools
They insist on teaching things like mathematics, literature, and science

1 hour ago, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:

The real culprit here is the lack of mystical history education in public schools
They insist on teaching things like mathematics, literature, and science

You say that, but a lack of knowledge about the Western Esoteric Tradition results in a lot dumb ass things. 

1 hour ago, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:

On the other hand

Esoteric implies secret or hidden knowledge

If this information was made commonly available, it would no longer be esoteric

If you are  creating a magical system, having some idea what the other systems that exist is a good idea. 

18 hours ago, mlooney said:

I can live with this as a back story as to why Native American imagery is used by old world wizards.  On the other hand, while I'm thinking about it, this is the only use of a "magic item" that is a single use item we have seen so far.  All the other magic items we have seen so far are long term multi-use items.  I'm my be mistaken about the sleep thing being a single use item, but the way he used it sure made it look like a single use item.  He did not recover it after he used it, which would indicate it's single use status.

I would assume that a spell capable of forcibly putting to sleep well over a thousand people in a radius as much as two hundred or more meters around the caster would require enough energy to be draining to most wizards (i.e. more energy than most wizards would want to expend on a non-combat spell in the middle of a fight). Thus, Abraham would want to have a spell catalyst that is already charged up with enough energy to cast it at least once, leading to him using a prop. The "dream catcher" form might simply be a visual reminder for Abraham, so that he instantly recognizes it as his "area-of-effect mass sleep spell" item. I can't speak for it being reusable or not, though.