• Announcements

• Robin

Welcome!   03/05/2016

Welcome, everyone, to the new 910CMX Community Forums. I'm still working on getting them running, so things may change.  If you're a 910 Comic creator and need your forum recreated, let me know and I'll get on it right away.  I'll do my best to make this new place as fun as the last one!
Zorua

Things You Only Noticed On Reread

5 hours ago, ijuin said:

The "dream catcher" form might simply be a visual reminder for Abraham, so that he instantly recognizes it as his "area-of-effect mass sleep spell" item. I can't speak for it being reusable or not, though.

It just dawned on me.  Abraham cast "Modern Knowledge" when he first came out of the statue.  It's possible that this gave him modern pop culture as well, and that dream catcher were part of that.   Need to think on this for a while.

Just to add a little more confusion

Traditional Dream Catchers were produced by the Ojibwe people

If we are still working with the premise that Metropolitain Moperville is in Illinois, they are on the wrong side of the Great Lakes

43 minutes ago, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:

Traditional Dream Catchers were produced by the Ojibwe people

For some reason I had them pegged as being Hopi, not an eastern tribe.

11 minutes ago, mlooney said:

I had them pegged as being Hopi, not an eastern tribe.

According to Wikipedia...

Dreamcatchers were adopted in the Pan-Indian Movement of the 1960s and 1970s and gained popularity as a widely marketed "Native crafts items" in the 1980s

29 minutes ago, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:

According to Wikipedia...

Dreamcatchers were adopted in the Pan-Indian Movement of the 1960s and 1970s and gained popularity as a widely marketed "Native crafts items" in the 1980s

Oh I don't doubt that I had it wrong, I was just thinking they were a pueblo thing, not a eastern tribe thing.  No real idea why. 

9 hours ago, mlooney said:

No real idea why. 

The idea why is covered in what they call "Widely Marketed"

Also, many tourists wouldn't know what "Authentic Native American" is if you hit them over the head with a Thomas Hawk

This is why you will find "Totem Poles" in almost every "Indian" named Boy Scout camp in the country although classic Totem Poles are an artifact of the Pacific Northwest

Also, the name "Totem" is from Algonquin, even though the Algonquian family of languages are from areas east of the Rocky Mountains

1 hour ago, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:

Also, many tourists wouldn't know what "Authentic Native American" is if you hit them over the head with a Thomas Hawk

I'm from eastern Oklahoma, I should know more about Native American stuff than that.  Granted Hopi aren't a tribe that ever got removed to Oklahoma.

On 5/10/2020 at 11:59 PM, mlooney said:

I'm from eastern Oklahoma, I should know more about Native American stuff than that.  Granted Hopi aren't a tribe that ever got removed to Oklahoma.

"You want this chunk of desert? ... yeah, you know what, let's go with that."

5 minutes ago, Darth Fluffy said:

"You want this chunk of desert? ... yeah, you know what, let's go with that."

There is a certain  amount of that.