• Announcements

• Robin

Welcome!   03/05/2016

Welcome, everyone, to the new 910CMX Community Forums. I'm still working on getting them running, so things may change.  If you're a 910 Comic creator and need your forum recreated, let me know and I'll get on it right away.  I'll do my best to make this new place as fun as the last one!
Scotty

Story, Friday September 16, 2016

6 hours ago, Hunendora said:

So we have a variety of shock and surprise going around.

Except for Mr Verres, who looks a bit annoyed. Probably at his exposition getting interrupted.

Nanase looks ready to kick some arse.

57 minutes ago, jmucchiello said:

EGS really needs these kinds of wow moments.

I hope the next comic is just as wow: Pandora appears in evil little form screeching "HOW DARE YOU???" And then there's a big immortal fight.

I doubt it will happen. But I know I would enjoy it.

Helena and Demetrius showing up again would be nice too.

Jerry could also, Nanase is there after all and his promise to help Susan applies to her as well.

And now we know why (from a Doyleist perspective) Sarah isn't here -- if she was, Pandora would likely be watching Sarah, and thus find Voltaire and turn it into an Immortal battle.  Gotta keep the Main Eight front and center!

So, a whole weekend of guessing what Voltaire has to say.  Not quite a much fun as an entire summer picturing what could happen after Riker orders Worf to fire, but should be fun!

How's this....Voltaire will blithely reassure them he doesn't want to kill Elliot any more, and then go on to explain at least somewhat what Pandora is up to, and the fact that she's been trying to make Magic well-known and available to everyone.  He'll have reasons why this would be Bad For Everyone, which Edward will likely agree with, and try to talk them all into helping him foil Pandora's evil schemes.

We may find out whether Edward knows the "creepy little girl" is Adrian's mother.  Personally, I'd rather he find out with Adrian present, to see both their reactions play off each other.

Voltaire's explanation of why he wanted to kill Elliot should be interesting.  Either the Main Crew finally learn about Magus's existence (and are Les Immortals still watching Elliot, and will that remind them why?), or he'll invent something, likely something that casts Pandora in as bad a light as possible.

1 hour ago, Xenophon Hendrix said:

So, it's looking more probable that Pandora was being framed with the pithos amulet, but I'm puzzled about why anyone wants Elliot dead. Tedd, I can understand. Susan, I can understand. Grace, I can understand. Even the meddling teenagers, I can understand. Why Elliot?

Elliot seems to be an integral component to Pandora plan, making his removal an integral part of Voltaire's screw Pandora plan. That and Elliot is lawful good while Voltaire is lawful evil making them natural adversaries.

I did expect that Sirleck is the mastermind, but Volty is close to one degree of separation.

Once again, the Dan has made a good job in creating suspense. And the moustache expressions of Edward. :demonicduck:

48 minutes ago, Tom Sewell said:

So you don't grok Spock? That, I believe, was the original original series T-shirt.

Yes it was, but that doesn't change the fact the "grok" wasn't from Star Trek, but from "Stranger in a Strange Land"

Back on topic here.
If other members of the US intelligence community (or any countries intelligence communities really) other than DGB knew about immortals and their ability to be any where and not be detected they would collectively crap a brick. Enough bricks to build a fairly large building, maybe even a pyramid the size of those in Giza. Of course getting an immortal to act as a spy for a group of humans might be tricky, but not impossible. Pandora might do it for the chaos it would cause. If as Pandora claims that the three letter agencies are willing to kill for Sarah's power, what would they do for the ability to be in first person real time fully undetectable?

3 hours ago, CritterKeeper said:

How's this....Voltaire will blithely reassure them he doesn't want to kill Elliot any more, and then go on to explain at least somewhat what Pandora is up to, and the fact that she's been trying to make Magic well-known and available to everyone.  He'll have reasons why this would be Bad For Everyone, which Edward will likely agree with, and try to talk them all into helping him foil Pandora's evil schemes.

Voltaire's explanation of why he wanted to kill Elliot should be interesting.  Either the Main Crew finally learn about Magus's existence (and are Les Immortals still watching Elliot, and will that remind them why?), or he'll invent something, likely something that casts Pandora in as bad a light as possible.

Very much this. And he'all probably hint at Sirleck as her pawn instead of his.

I doubt we need to worry about the humans in that room simply accepting anything the glow worm says at face value.

Will he deliver his message and disappear?

Will he stick around for a conversation?

Will the others "Power-Up" (Omega Grace, Guardian Form, Power Gauntlet)?

Will there be a call for back up (Arthur, Assistant Director Liefield, Wolf, Cranium, Lavender, Adrian, Noriko, Mrs Kitsune, Phill)?

Will Dr Germahn enter the scene and turn this potential conflict into a Q&A Panel?

1 hour ago, Vorlonagent said:

He's not nigh-invulnerable on the physical plane.

No, but you can easily exploit the nonphysical plane to dodge. You're attacking me? Whoop! I'm in the non-physical plane! Now I'm back. You're attacking again? Pop! Gone and back. You missed. It's like teleporting almost. Oops, you missed again. This is fun!

1 hour ago, Vorlonagent said:

I wouldn't be so sure he's that invulnerable off the physical plane.  Edward does after all say Pandora should be easily defeated on the physical, but he doesn't say it's *impossible* on the spirit plane.  I think there's a good chance Edward, Nanase and Ellen might all have something that could affect Voltaire even if he goes astral.  Not necessarily very seriously - neither Nanase's nor Ellen's magical attacks are particularly dangerous even to mortals - but that's not the same thing.  And Edward does end that conversation on a note that he's going to get some assistance, which presumably means he's made preparations for coping with an immortal since, and if there's any place he'll have set up defenses, it's his home. 

Sure for story reasons they won't work - it's too early Voltaire's plot arc for him to get bound or disintegrated here, but I don't think he's gauged his risks properly.

10 minutes ago, malloyd said:

I wouldn't be so sure he's that invulnerable off the physical plane.  Edward does after all say Pandora should be easily defeated on the physical, but he doesn't say it's *impossible* on the spirit plane.  I think there's a good chance Edward, Nanase and Ellen might all have something that could affect Voltaire even if he goes astral.  Not necessarily very seriously - neither Nanase's nor Ellen's magical attacks are particularly dangerous even to mortals - but that's not the same thing.  And Edward does end that conversation on a note that he's going to get some assistance, which presumably means he's made preparations for coping with an immortal since, and if there's any place he'll have set up defenses, it's his home. 

Sure for story reasons they won't work - it's too early Voltaire's plot arc for him to get bound or disintegrated here, but I don't think he's gauged his risks properly.

Edward specifically said "assuming she played fair, which she wouldn't", the same would apply to Voltaire.

As to what Voltaire will say next? There's soo much that can be speculated. Will he say why he referred to Elliot as the "pawn of Chaos"? Will he say why he tried to kill Elliot? Will he hint at things to come, maybe even gloat that he's set a series of event in motion that cannot likely be stopped until Elliot is dead? Or will he just simply state that what he's doing is "for the greater good" and then leave.

Alternatively he can give them a pile of misinformation mixed with an equal amount of obscure truths and leave them wondering if it all was a bunch of lies.

I'm expecting him to explain why killing Elliot was the easiest expedient for stopping Something Really Bad from happening. 

He may reveal Magus' existence and perhaps Sirleck's.

He may also attempt to implicate Pandora.

18 hours ago, TehEpicDuckeh said:

Reread Edit: WAIT A MINUTE! Sir Edward...????

Does he really have title or is it something like when Griffins addressed Nanase as princess?

18 hours ago, inqntrol said:

He has lots of guts to show up in front of the person he has tried to kill.

Or is really quick at disappearing. He might be in less danger here than with Tara.

13 hours ago, EmpactWB said:
15 hours ago, Waspinator said:

Well, being an immortal that can at will vanish to another plane of existence is the kind of thing that probably makes you pretty brave.

That is a fantastic metaphor for the internet. :beerchug:

Certainly explains the artificial bravery lot of people on internet have :)

12 hours ago, Aura Guardian said:

So, Earth is a forum / comment thread for Immortals, then?

No, Earth is a sandbox game. Something like Minecraft.

10 hours ago, CritterKeeper said:

And now we know why (from a Doyleist perspective) Sarah isn't here -- if she was, Pandora would likely be watching Sarah, and thus find Voltaire and turn it into an Immortal battle.  Gotta keep the Main Eight front and center!

Yup. It's very likely Pandora is now elsewhere with Sarah and therefore will miss this. Pity.

10 hours ago, CritterKeeper said:

We may find out whether Edward knows the "creepy little girl" is Adrian's mother.  Personally, I'd rather he find out with Adrian present, to see both their reactions play off each other.

"That will not be necessary" definitely seem to suggest he will claim he no longer wants to kill Elliot.

And yes, I also hope we will find out lot of interesting stuff ... although, anything Voltaire will say would be very suspicious ...

8 hours ago, mlooney said:

Of course getting an immortal to act as a spy for a group of humans might be tricky, but not impossible. Pandora might do it for the chaos it would cause. If as Pandora claims that the three letter agencies are willing to kill for Sarah's power, what would they do for the ability to be in first person real time fully undetectable?

Getting an immortal to act as a spy would be easy. Getting reliable information from him, hard ...

1 hour ago, malloyd said:
3 hours ago, Vorlonagent said:

He might have something which wouldn't disintegrate Voltaire but forces him out of building. But, frankly, I wouldn't be surprised if he deliberately waited and tried to get some informations from him first.

24 minutes ago, Vorlonagent said:

I'm expecting him to explain why killing Elliot was the easiest expedient for stopping Something Really Bad from happening. 

For some reason, I imagine Grace offering the rebuttal.  "Mr Voltaire?  I do not doubt the sincerity of your beliefs and convictions.  And I do not have enough information to meaningfully criticize the technical details of your plan.  However, I must oppose any actions that will result in the death of my friends."

1 minute ago, hkmaly said:

Getting an immortal to act as a spy would be easy. Getting reliable information from him, hard ...

I assumed that in the getting an immortal to spy. 

8 hours ago, mlooney said:

Yes it was, but that doesn't change the fact the "grok" wasn't from Star Trek, but from "Stranger in a Strange Land"

So it was. Sorry, I haven't re-read Stranger in a Strange Land in the last fifty years or so. It's remarkable that it became a hippie talisman since Heinlein's politics were as far or farther to the right as Larry Niven's. 

There's a possibility that Voltaire is close to his positively last appearance. He may not be all that necessary to the plot now. He's already set up Sirleck to attack Adrian, and if Pandora kills him now, he won't be able to tell the gang about Sirleck, will he? And Sirleck doesn't even know it was him; he thought Abner was talking to him on that miraculous payphone.

8 minutes ago, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:

For some reason, I imagine Grace offering the rebuttal.  "Mr Voltaire?  I do not doubt the sincerity of your beliefs and convictions.  And I do not have enough information to meaningfully criticize the technical details of your plan.  However, I must oppose any actions that will result in the death of my friends."

I'm sure he'll have plenty of spot-on-correct supporting information.  Ed Verres would have his own and it develops into an epic battle of summoned charts and graphs...

2 hours ago, Zorua said:

No, but you can easily exploit the nonphysical plane to dodge. You're attacking me? Whoop! I'm in the non-physical plane! Now I'm back. You're attacking again? Pop! Gone and back. You missed. It's like teleporting almost. Oops, you missed again. This is fun!

The viability of that kind of dodge depends on how fast Voltaire can switch between planes of existence. With the exception of Pandora (who can already push what is possible for an immortal), every time an immortal has shifted plane on-panel, they had a fading effect, which implies it's not instantaneous. Even when Voltaire was alone and therefor wouldn't need the dramatic effect, he had the fading effect. If the transition isn't instantaneous, then a fast enough attack could still connect before he completely transitions. Whether or not anyone in the room has an attack they could launch fast enough is debatable, though I think is likely (Edward at least should have some fast attacks)

4 minutes ago, Vorlonagent said:
15 minutes ago, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:

I'm sure he'll have plenty of spot-on-correct supporting information.  Ed Verres would have his own and it develops into an epic battle of summoned charts and graphs...

I want to see that. It would be hilarious and awesome.

25 minutes ago, hkmaly said:

No, Earth is a sandbox game. Something like Minecraft.

Or Grand Theft Auto. But it's the Immortals that are the mob giving out "missions".

28 minutes ago, hkmaly said:

"That will not be necessary" definitely seem to suggest he will claim he no longer wants to kill Elliot.

It might just be stating that it wouldn't be necessary to try to track him down. If he does state that he's no longer going to attempt to kill Elliot, it would be a technical lie to get them to let their guards down, since he's already set up most if not all of "Plan CM" and can now just sit back and see what happens. Like setting up a long line of dominoes, then pushing the first one over, you've done what you needed to do, the rest is up to fate.

Of course, I wouldn't expect any of them to believe it, but maybe Voltaire expects them to not believe anything he says, so he could literally tell the truth and be questioned about it's validity, which would make everyone paranoid about what would happen next.

3 minutes ago, Tom Sewell said:

Dodging to the spirit plane might not do Volty a lot of good. Magus can't leave the spirit plane, and look what happened to him.

Well, Magus had the unfortunate disadvantage of being stuck to a single plane of that existence,  Immortals can hide themselves in different planes from other Immortals, so unless Pandora's powerful enough to see multiple layers of the spirit realm, it would still be tricky for her to find Voltaire.

8 minutes ago, Scotty said:
53 minutes ago, hkmaly said:

It might just be stating that it wouldn't be necessary to try to track him down. If he does state that he's no longer going to attempt to kill Elliot, it would be a technical lie to get them to let their guards down, since he's already set up most if not all of "Plan CM" and can now just sit back and see what happens. Like setting up a long line of dominoes, then pushing the first one over, you've done what you needed to do, the rest is up to fate.

Plan CM is supposed to result in more deaths, but these deaths might not include Elliot. Or, yes, he can lie.

9 minutes ago, Scotty said:

Of course, I wouldn't expect any of them to believe it, but maybe Voltaire expects them to not believe anything he says, so he could literally tell the truth and be questioned about it's validity, which would make everyone paranoid about what would happen next.

Well, the fact he will be saying it to the whole group is certainly better than if he would be saying different things to different people.

10 minutes ago, Scotty said:
16 minutes ago, Tom Sewell said:

Dodging to the spirit plane might not do Volty a lot of good. Magus can't leave the spirit plane, and look what happened to him.

Well, Magus had the unfortunate disadvantage of being stuck to a single plane of that existence,  Immortals can hide themselves in different planes from other Immortals, so unless Pandora's powerful enough to see multiple layers of the spirit realm, it would still be tricky for her to find Voltaire.

I don't think she was bluffing. She does have some way to harm Voltaire despite Voltaire being able to move to different layer. Maybe she can chase him as long as she keeps speed?