• Announcements

• Robin

Welcome!   03/05/2016

Welcome, everyone, to the new 910CMX Community Forums. I'm still working on getting them running, so things may change.  If you're a 910 Comic creator and need your forum recreated, let me know and I'll get on it right away.  I'll do my best to make this new place as fun as the last one!
hkmaly

NP, Friday September 17, 2016

6 minutes ago, hkmaly said:

http://www.egscomics.com/egsnp.php?id=513

Shrinking confirmed. Personally I'm not surprised but it's better to have it clear.

Also, Catalina's cupcake idea suggests she can shrink a LOT.

Hmm, I was going to say that the page of Grace's epiphany about the marks should have suggested Rhoda being able to shrink, but now that I look at it again, I honestly can't tell if Rhoda shrank herself, or made her pajama shirt bigger.

I just assumed that her mark clearly meant that size was interchangeable. There the small circle on top and the large circle on bottom, the middle would be the natural size.

Now I want to see Catalina and Rhoda on top of a cupcake playing in the icing as a 2 character pinup.

This brings up the technical problem, again, regarding whether or not shrunken people could derive nutrition from normal sized food (or if normal sized people could be nourished by enlarged food).

I am among those who suspect it may be possible to grow reduced size food plants that would allow for more food to be grown per acre and transport a greater volume of food within currently available spaces.  Then the food could be expanded to full size before consumption allowing the normal sized human to digest it normally.

By the way, "IBWUHNO".  Is that supposed to represent Rhoda's incoherent mumbling?  Or is that some sort of abbreviation?

1 hour ago, Scotty said:

Now I want to see Catalina and Rhoda on top of a cupcake playing in the icing as a 2 character pinup.

Before or after drinking tea?

13 minutes ago, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:

This brings up the technical problem, again, regarding whether or not shrunken people could derive nutrition from normal sized food (or if normal sized people could be nourished by enlarged food).

I am among those who suspect it may be possible to grow reduced size food plants that would allow for more food to be grown per acre and transport a greater volume of food within currently available spaces.  Then the food could be expanded to full size before consumption allowing the normal sized human to digest it normally.

By the way, "IBWUHNO".  Is that supposed to represent Rhoda's incoherent mumbling?  Or is that some sort of abbreviation?

The food question was already answered in Q&A#4, in terms of a normal sized person eating an enlarged cookie, would the cookie stay enlarged once it enters the stomach? Or immediately lose it's enchantment? A shrunken person eating unenchanted food might be different though, of course if the shrinking enchantment wore off before the food was digested then no, but if you maintained the enchantment long enough, maybe?

And yes I would believe that "IBWUHNO" is mumbling.

52 minutes ago, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:

In EGS, the "grow/shrink effect" is transferable, so the answer is obviously yes, but it would be the same amount of nutrition as if no resize happened (also, already mentioned in Q&A4).

53 minutes ago, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:

I am among those who suspect it may be possible to grow reduced size food plants that would allow for more food to be grown per acre and transport a greater volume of food within currently available spaces.

It would likely require lot of magic to keep that plants shrunk for months ... also, shrunk plant might be getting less energy from sun and therefore not grow as well.

29 minutes ago, Scotty said:

The food question was already answered in Q&A#4, in terms of a normal sized person eating an enlarged cookie, would the cookie stay enlarged once it enters the stomach? Or immediately lose it's enchantment?

It will likely lose the enchantment progressively, as it will be dissolving.

30 minutes ago, Scotty said:

A shrunken person eating unenchanted food might be different though

Or not. The food might GAIN the enchantment while being digested.

8 minutes ago, hkmaly said:

Or not. The food might GAIN the enchantment while being digested.

Possible, if enchanted food would have the side effect of enchanting whoever consumes it, why not the other way around? That would effectively negate any benefit.

1 hour ago, mlooney said:

Before or after drinking tea?

No tea (I want to see Catalina and Rhoda, after all, not some substitute), and wearing swimsuts.  I picture one-piece, but YMMV.  They've got some frosting on them, but not yet covered in it.   And Catalina is holding a proportionately-sized cupcake and staring very directly at Rhoda as she takes a great big lick out of the frosting on it.

The promise of more to come is usually much sexier than showing things too blatantly.  ;-)

Ok, say what you will about my mind, but Rhoda's face to me meant she might have been thinking of shrinking and jumping on... ahem... Catalina's cupcakes.

36 minutes ago, Tuscahoma said:

Ok, say what you will about my mind, but Rhoda's face to me meant she might have been thinking of shrinking and jumping on... ahem... Catalina's cupcakes.

And here I suspected she might be thinking about shrinking both her and Catalina, and then jumping in a cupcake together....

6 hours ago, WR...S said:

I only wonder whether Rhoda's shrunk Catalina yet.  (Heavy emphasis on "yet.")

Ooh, what if that's the only way they can think of to try and get Catalina out unnoticed but enchantments wear off at unpredictable times?

You would just want to sink into a chocolate chip cookie.

1 hour ago, Aura Guardian said:

Ooh, what if that's the only way they can think of to try and get Catalina out unnoticed but enchantments wear off at unpredictable times?

Is it already stated that her size changing has a time limit?

7 hours ago, Stature said:
9 hours ago, Aura Guardian said:

Is it already stated that her size changing has a time limit?

Based on the boar, I don't think the limit is dangerously short.

5 hours ago, hkmaly said:

But Adrian did say that animals don't resist enchantments the same way humans do, animals would have to starve themselves to keep their energy from maintaining the effect, but humans can more actively resist through willpower.

Just like with Tedd's experiments, telling someone an enchantment would last a certain amount of time would pretty much guarantee that effect lasting that long, but don't tell them, and it could wear off sooner, or later and it could last for a while with really no known limit aside from available energy to how long it could last.

1 hour ago, Scotty said:
7 hours ago, hkmaly said:

But Adrian did say that animals don't resist enchantments the same way humans do, animals would have to starve themselves to keep their energy from maintaining the effect, but humans can more actively resist through willpower.

Just like with Tedd's experiments, telling someone an enchantment would last a certain amount of time would pretty much guarantee that effect lasting that long, but don't tell them, and it could wear off sooner, or later and it could last for a while with really no known limit aside from available energy to how long it could last.

Why Tedd experiment with being Grace 30 times as long as the enchantment was supposed to last doesn't exactly convince me that the chance of shrinking wearing off at unpredictable time is high?

You're right that getting rid of the enchantment is different for humans and for animals, but I think that for determining maximal duration (as opposed to standard one) it's still applicable.

... with additional note that in Moperville with all that ambient magic, simple enchantments might effectively have infinite maximal duration.

6 hours ago, hkmaly said:

Why Tedd experiment with being Grace 30 times as long as the enchantment was supposed to last doesn't exactly convince me that the chance of shrinking wearing off at unpredictable time is high?

It wasn't just the time spent looking like Grace, Tedd had a whole spreadsheet for estimated durations of what should have been month long transformations. Based on all that, it's quite possible that if Tedd had originally told Elliot that the V5 transformation would last a day, the enchantment would have lasted only a day and they wouldn't have needed to go through all that trouble to get him back to normal, alternatively that would also mean transformations could last longer than a month. Notice how Tedd had gone 15 hours as Grace and then manually used the watch to change back, he likely could have gone even longer as Grace but figured that was long enough to prove his theory

but I think that for determining maximal duration (as opposed to standard one) it's still applicable.

I consider that part a pretty gray area as we've only had one case of an animal being enchanted and that animal ended up wanting to stay enchanted, hmmm, at the very least that might prove that one would likely need to eat more when enlarged to get the same nutrition that they would when normal size.

... with additional note that in Moperville with all that ambient magic, simple enchantments might effectively have infinite maximal duration.

That would certainly be possible, though Edward did suggest that while energy buildup and recovery is slower when transformed, that could mean that even without the high ambient energy, an enchantment could be prolonged if the affected person's natural energy recovery is high enough. Someone like Sarah might not have enough natural energy to maintain most spells so her natural recovery rate might be very low, but Nanase's natural energy and recovery rate could be high too (her rate of hair growth while she was burned out might be indicative of her recovery rate). Of course Nanase can also burn calories to power a spell and that might also affect enchantment duration but probably for more complex enchantments like the guardian form, and the high ambient energy certainly helped with that as well, and Sarah couldn't even cast her new spell without the help of the ambient energy being high

9 hours ago, Scotty said:
16 hours ago, hkmaly said:

It wasn't just the time spent looking like Grace, Tedd had a whole spreadsheet for estimated durations of what should have been month long transformations. Based on all that, it's quite possible that if Tedd had originally told Elliot that the V5 transformation would last a day, the enchantment would have lasted only a day and they wouldn't have needed to go through all that trouble to get him back to normal, alternatively that would also mean transformations could last longer than a month. Notice how Tedd had gone 15 hours as Grace and then manually used the watch to change back, he likely could have gone even longer as Grace but figured that was long enough to prove his theory

Elliot's magic resistance before awakening was likely considerably worse, and even after awakening he was only able to shorten it to half.

Also ... I think Tedd would continue, but she realized that it makes Sarah uneasy ...

but I think that for determining maximal duration (as opposed to standard one) it's still applicable.

I consider that part a pretty gray area as we've only had one case of an animal being enchanted and that animal ended up wanting to stay enchanted,

Well ... yes, we definitely don't have enough experimental data for this.

at the very least that might prove that one would likely need to eat more when enlarged to get the same nutrition that they would when normal size.

No, because boars are not known to have very exact nutrition meters. Also, just because the holes in ground were bigger, doesn't mean it found more stuff to eat. And it needed more nutritions to power the transformation.

10 hours ago, Scotty said:

That would certainly be possible, though Edward did suggest that while energy buildup and recovery is slower when transformed, that could mean that even without the high ambient energy, an enchantment could be prolonged if the affected person's natural energy recovery is high enough. Someone like Sarah might not have enough natural energy to maintain most spells so her natural recovery rate might be very low, but Nanase's natural energy and recovery rate could be high too (her rate of hair growth while she was burned out might be indicative of her recovery rate). Of course Nanase can also burn calories to power a spell and that might also affect enchantment duration but probably for more complex enchantments like the guardian form, and the high ambient energy certainly helped with that as well, and Sarah couldn't even cast her new spell without the help of the ambient energy being high

Hmmm ... yes, it's possible you can also prolong enchantment using own energy, which would make Nanase able to keep simple enchantment going indefinitely even outside Moperville even if it wouldn't be HER enchantment. Of course, Guardian form spell is NOT simple enchantment.

2 minutes ago, hkmaly said:

Hmmm ... yes, it's possible you can also prolong enchantment using own energy, which would make Nanase able to keep simple enchantment going indefinitely even outside Moperville even if it wouldn't be HER enchantment. Of course, Guardian form spell is NOT simple enchantment.

I was thinking more along the lines that simple enchantment could use less energy to keep going than the natural recovery rate which could mean indefinite duration, but the guardian form and other complex enchantments would burn energy faster than the recovery rate. The guardian form itself probably would have one of the highest energy usage rates out of the known spells, Elliot's heroine form would be a complex enchantment but it might break even with his recovery rate. Let's see, Elliot likely would have morphed before he went to pick up Ashley for their date, there'd be a bit of recovery time between that and the Mall Girl morph, then slower recovery between that and the first Cheerleadra morph that night, flying around might have burned a bit of energy, then after they escape the mall, Elliot has a chance to recover a bit again before morphing to Cheerleadra 2.0, then quick change to normal then Cheerleadra Classic. That's a fair bit of morphing in one evening, but then again Elliot's recovery rate was abnormally high due to his improper awakening so that probably helped a lot, but if his acceptance of the female morphs has fixed his buildup issue then it's possible his recovery rate is lower now.

2 hours ago, Scotty said:

I was thinking more along the lines that simple enchantment could use less energy to keep going than the natural recovery rate which could mean indefinite duration, but the guardian form and other complex enchantments would burn energy faster than the recovery rate. The guardian form itself probably would have one of the highest energy usage rates out of the known spells, Elliot's heroine form would be a complex enchantment but it might break even with his recovery rate. Let's see, Elliot likely would have morphed before he went to pick up Ashley for their date, there'd be a bit of recovery time between that and the Mall Girl morph, then slower recovery between that and the first Cheerleadra morph that night, flying around might have burned a bit of energy, then after they escape the mall, Elliot has a chance to recover a bit again before morphing to Cheerleadra 2.0, then quick change to normal then Cheerleadra Classic. That's a fair bit of morphing in one evening, but then again Elliot's recovery rate was abnormally high due to his improper awakening so that probably helped a lot, but if his acceptance of the female morphs has fixed his buildup issue then it's possible his recovery rate is lower now.

Elliot did not seem to be running noticeably low on energy by the end, so it seems likely that he could keep up the Cheerleadra transformation for a few hours on end, at least within the high ambient magic levels in Moperville.

2 hours ago, hkmaly said:

No, because boars are not known to have very exact nutrition meters. Also, just because the holes in ground were bigger, doesn't mean it found more stuff to eat. And it needed more nutrition to power the transformation.

I see no reason why the need for food would not scale with the weight of the creature in question. For example, humans eat about 1-2% (dry weight) of their body weight in food per day. Scale up a human to ten times as tall, and the body mass increases by a factor of a thousand. So, a fifty/sixty foot tall person would eat about a ton of food per day.