• Announcements

• Robin

Welcome!   03/05/2016

Welcome, everyone, to the new 910CMX Community Forums. I'm still working on getting them running, so things may change.  If you're a 910 Comic creator and need your forum recreated, let me know and I'll get on it right away.  I'll do my best to make this new place as fun as the last one!
Sign in to follow this  
Scotty

NP, Monday September 19, 2016

35 minutes ago, Scotty said:

http://www.egscomics.com/egsnp.php?id=514

Alright, so the first few pages of this part of the NP was just prior to Pandora seeing them and having her rant about Catalina's name based affinity.

I'm not too sure about that. In the commentary for the first comic in this storyline Dan said "it's a direct continuation of the previous one". I took that as this storyline occuring immediately after the conclusion of the previous one. Pandora's presence here could just be her hanging around hoping to see some hijinks happen. 

Edited by tuoteg
inconsistent font and font sizes

5 minutes ago, mlooney said:

We are waiting Dan....

Tick tock... time is running out... :demonicduck:

And so it begins, huh? Therefore, where the buck stopped in Marker, it surely ahs to resume here.

30 minutes ago, tuoteg said:
53 minutes ago, Scotty said:

http://www.egscomics.com/egsnp.php?id=514

Alright, so the first few pages of this part of the NP was just prior to Pandora seeing them and having her rant about Catalina's name based affinity.

I'm not too sure about that. In the commentary for the first comic in this storyline Dan said "it's a direct continuation of the previous one". I took that as this storyline occuring immediately after the conclusion of the previous one. Pandora's presence here could just be her hanging around hoping to see some hijinks happen. 

The panel looks IDENTICAL. Also, if that would be literally direct continuation, it would start AFTER the hijinks. Obviously, there was some time rewind.

... although yes, before today's strip I assumed it directly follows panel 2 here.

48 minutes ago, hkmaly said:

The panel looks IDENTICAL. Also, if that would be literally direct continuation, it would start AFTER the hijinks. Obviously, there was some time rewind.

... although yes, before today's strip I assumed it directly follows panel 2 here.

The reason why I wasn't sure about Dan's timeline for this story. I did notice though that in the commentary for this comic he refers to it as a "continuation of the previous storyline", dropping the "direct continuation" he had previously used in describing it.

6 hours ago, tuoteg said:
7 hours ago, hkmaly said:

The reason why I wasn't sure about Dan's timeline for this story. I did notice though that in the commentary for this comic he refers to it as a "continuation of the previous storyline", dropping the "direct continuation" he had previously used in describing it.

I had also thought it the first strip of "Escape" was a directly after Pandora's rant and decision to follow them around. But Dan wouldn't reuse the same panel in two separate stories unless he'd want to tie the two together. Maybe the confusion Dan should have been worried about wasn't for whether people would wonder if this was canon, but for the fact that he did say "Escape" was a "direct continuation" when there's clearly a bit of overlap. ;)

Just now, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:

Enough with the establishing and background and set up and preliminaries.

To quote a line that was almost certainly never uttered by Marie Antoinette,

LET THEM PLAY IN CUPCAKE FROSTING

Fixed it for you. ;)

1 hour ago, Scotty said:
6 hours ago, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:

LET THEM PLAY IN CUPCAKE FROSTING AND DRINK TEA

Fixed it for you. ;)

Fixed your fix.

43 minutes ago, mlooney said:
2 hours ago, Scotty said:
7 hours ago, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:

LET THEM PLAY IN TEA INFUSED CUPCAKE FROSTING

Fixed it for you. ;)

Fixed your fix.

Please we do not want the tea spilling and washing away the frosting...

Not when it can be used an an ingredient for the frosting. 

10 hours ago, Scotty said:

But Dan wouldn't reuse the same panel in two separate stories unless he'd want to tie the two together.

Also, he hinted the panels are same on twitter. And linked the previous comics with that panel in commentary.

9 hours ago, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:

I read somewhere that it might not actually be as stupid as it sounds, because bread and cakes are made from different kind of flours and there was a time where the ones for bread wasn't available. That doesn't change that she isn't likely to actually say it.

Anyway, about the content of comics: yes, finding good book is hard, especially without opening it. Unless you go for already-known author, and sometimes even then.

10 hours ago, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:

LET THEM EAT CAKE

34 minutes ago, hkmaly said:

I read somewhere that it might not actually be as stupid as it sounds, because bread and cakes are made from different kind of flours and there was a time where the ones for bread wasn't available. That doesn't change that she isn't likely to actually say it.

I read that the law in France at the time said that if a baker ran out of the cheapest bread, he HAD to sell a similar quantity of SOME sort of vaguely bread-like thing, that he actually had on hand, for the same price. So (assuming that is correct) if the peasants had no bread due to a shortage of bread-flour, but there was abundant cake-flour, the peasants would legitimately be eating cake.

On the other hand, if the peasants had no bread because economic conditions were bad enough that they couldn't afford cheap bread...

41 minutes ago, Don Edwards said:

I read that the law in France at the time said that if a baker ran out of the cheapest bread, he HAD to sell a similar quantity of SOME sort of vaguely bread-like thing, that he actually had on hand, for the same price. So (assuming that is correct) if the peasants had no bread due to a shortage of bread-flour, but there was abundant cake-flour, the peasants would legitimately be eating cake.

This part is on wikipedia talk page.

41 minutes ago, Don Edwards said:

On the other hand, if the peasants had no bread because economic conditions were bad enough that they couldn't afford cheap bread...

Well, shortage of bread-flour means that the prices go up ... at least in last famine in French monarchy, when merchants were allowed to speculate. (Before, the market was more regulated. So was afterwards, at least as long as people remembered that failed economy experiment.)

So, in short, it was literally cheaper to buy cake than bread at the time, so the statement was not "let them deal with high prices by buying something even higher priced", as many modern people assume at first glance, but rather "let them use the next cheapest substitute".