• Announcements

• Robin

Welcome!   03/05/2016

Welcome, everyone, to the new 910CMX Community Forums. I'm still working on getting them running, so things may change.  If you're a 910 Comic creator and need your forum recreated, let me know and I'll get on it right away.  I'll do my best to make this new place as fun as the last one!
Sign in to follow this  
partner555

Story: Friday March 11 2016

9 minutes ago, CritterKeeper said:

Sounds like Dan was aiming for "permanence" and missed by a couple of letters....

Would you believe Dan only missed an "n"? "Permeance" is more of a physics, but not related to magic.

What with Avalon and them being Griffins from another world, it's pretty evident that they come from some place where King Arthur's line never ended.

Camelot! Camelot! Camelot!

We're the knights of the EGSverse Round Table, we swap genders when we're able, we fight aberrations and watch basic cable while eating spamalot!

In other news, is anyone else seeing Ashley's hair as a spider? Dang legs poking over her forehead.

Given that Tara is a knight and their persistent mention of royalty I am starting to suspect that their half of the world (Darn you, Dan, EXPLAIN THAT!) is a monarchy with a feudal system of some sort. Possibly a vestigial one with some sort of civil representation. Moreover, I find the reactions of the griffins rather interesting. I have this feeling that they still have Nanase placed in the slot marked 'royalty' in their worldview and that they go along with not calling her 'princess' mostly as polite acceptance of royal caprice. ("Uh, of course, your Majest -- I mean, your Elizabethness -- I mean Elizabeth!")

6 hours ago, CritterKeeper said:

Sounds like Dan was aiming for "permanence" and missed by a couple of letters....

Nah, persistence works, Nanase creates a fairy avatar, but leaves the doll behind that could be reused later, the doll persists as a real object but is essentially created out of nothing. We know there are spells that lets a person summon a fairy, Dex and Susan can, though Susan's is more based on the fact that she can summon a magical copy of the dolls in her trunk, but they have a limited duration and either disappear after a while or can get unsummoned. I imagine there's another spell that would let the caster inhabit an already existing doll made in a toy factory, but to be able to create your own doll out of thin air and not have it simply vanish when you're done is, as Andrea stated, breaking many laws of physics.

I do find it amusing that Andrea knows there are laws of physics, makes me wonder more about the griffin's half of the world, if they have the same level of science as this half or if Andrea has been reading through many books while she's been in this half.

Edit: just now read the commentary and realized that's what you were referring to. hehe

Panel 1: Avatar State! Yip yip! Also, griffon fangirls for the win.

Panel 3: Humans where she's from? ...hey, maybe she's from Magus's home universe. There's a theory.

Panel 4-5: "And thirdly... The laws of physics is more what you'd call "guidelines" than actual rules."

Panel 7: It's okay, Ashley. You're allowed to geek out. Get it out of your system now before it becomes routine.

Commentary: I think we've all had a moment where we've used the wrong word and hoped nobody in the constipation noticed.

1 hour ago, Zorua said:

Panel 1: Avatar State! Yip yip! Also, griffon fangirls for the win.

Panel 3: Humans where she's from? ...hey, maybe she's from Magus's home universe. There's a theory.

Panel 4-5: "And thirdly... The laws of physics is more what you'd call "guidelines" than actual rules."

Panel 7: It's okay, Ashley. You're allowed to geek out. Get it out of your system now before it becomes routine.

Commentary: I think we've all had a moment where we've used the wrong word and hoped nobody in the constipation noticed.

Oh dear gods yes, imagine a cute little blond girl (about 7 or 8) going on about how she is so depraved. I did not, at the time, understand why everyone was laughing. I was trying to complain that I was deprived, though for the life of me I can't remember of what I felt I was deprived at the time.

57 minutes ago, Lady Pentrose said:
2 hours ago, Zorua said:

Oh dear gods yes, imagine a cute little blond girl (about 7 or 8) going on about how she is so depraved. I did not, at the time, understand why everyone was laughing. I was trying to complain that I was deprived, though for the life of me I can't remember of what I felt I was deprived at the time.

This may happen at any age. One becomes especially vulnerable to it when 1) using a second language and 2) very tired. My English-speaking girlfriend (nowadays wife) was once quite amused when I, upon emerging dripping wet from the bath, asked for a trowel to dry myself off with.

4 hours ago, The Old Hack said:

Given that Tara is a knight and their persistent mention of royalty I am starting to suspect that their half of the world (Darn you, Dan, EXPLAIN THAT!) is a monarchy with a feudal system of some sort. Possibly a vestigial one with some sort of civil representation. Moreover, I find the reactions of the griffins rather interesting. I have this feeling that they still have Nanase placed in the slot marked 'royalty' in their worldview and that they go along with not calling her 'princess' mostly as polite acceptance of royal caprice. ("Uh, of course, your Majest -- I mean, your Elizabethness -- I mean Elizabeth!")

This... okay, this makes a lot more sense than my idea. And thank you for an extra few laughs today.

I wonder what they would say about Tedd's aura...

I'm so glad Ashley is enjoying the cool magic stuff so genuinely. There's a lot of (justified) paranoia regaurding magic in the EGS 'verse and it's nice to see someone legitimately geek out and love the magic system as they're being introduced to it. I have a feeling she'll get along fine with Tedd. :)

This could  be trouble.

"We view the laws of physics more as polite suggestions" is a reality incompatible with "I cannae change the laws of physics, Captain."

Carried to a logical extreme, this may indicate that the canon of EGS is fundamentally opposed to the universe of Star Trek.

If this is true...

Are we sure Susan can not have another major angst induced awakening?

You think fairy Nanase is adorable, Ashley? You should see yourself.

I'm very much looking forward to Dan explaining just where the heck those griffins are from that has magical human royalty and griffin knights and that still considers the laws of physics somewhat useful if breaking them is so rare.

13 hours ago, Pizzaboy10 said:

Oh, another thing. Imagine what Andrea's reaction will be when Nanase explains how Susan's summoning of her doll creates a familiar. 

Hey, for all we know, familiars might not be uncommon in their half of the world. Of course, perhaps their familiars aren't created, so... yeah. Anyway, I don't see a reason why Nanase would suddenly start explaining all of her friends' abilities to Tara and Andrea, when they are the ones who promised answers to Elliot.

7 hours ago, Zorua said:

It's possible, but I don't think so. If all the sci-fi I've watched has taught me anything at all, it's the fact that humans are found everywhere in every universe. I remember someone suggesting in the old forums that the griffins' homeworld might not have any humans or that humans are the griffins' pets or something, but I never believed those theories for a second. It was obvious to me that Tara and Andrea knew what humans are because Tara knew about "Ancients" and they look very much like humans.

Then again, Tara doesn't seem to know everything about humans and their behavior, since she had to ask if having large mammaries gave humans an advantage in battle. :)

1 hour ago, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:

This could  be trouble.

"We view the laws of physics more as polite suggestions" is a reality incompatible with "I cannae change the laws of physics, Captain."

Carried to a logical extreme, this may indicate that the canon of EGS is fundamentally opposed to the universe of Star Trek.

If this is true...

It only just dawned on me that EGS angst-awakenings are basically Worm's Trigger Events, only way less traumatic. Huh. File that one away for a terrible fanfiction later.

Still, the laws of physics still hold even with law-breaking magic, since they hold in the absence of magic. Magic now explains the otherwise unexplainable, and it has rules of its own, hard rules.

A new science will emerge. New rules, new laws, a better model of reality. And so there is progress.

5 hours ago, The Old Hack said:

I'm glad you got a laugh out of my ramblings. :)

As to Tedd's aura... hm. Maybe, "OMG! It's the Magic Pope!" :blink:

Maybe more like "He's the ONE!"

Whoa.....

54 minutes ago, RainbowWizard said:

It only just dawned on me that EGS angst-awakenings are basically Worm's Trigger Events, only way less traumatic. Huh. File that one away for a terrible fanfiction later.

Still, the laws of physics still hold even with law-breaking magic, since they hold in the absence of magic. Magic now explains the otherwise unexplainable, and it has rules of its own, hard rules.

A new science will emerge. New rules, new laws, a better model of reality. And so there is progress.

The laws of physics are based on what we've been able to perceive with our current capabilities in science, as we learn more about things, our understanding of physics changes. If we see something that appears to break the laws of physics, it just means that something happened that we've never expected. Magic as it stands still somewhat follows the laws of physics, stuff like being able to fly may seem physics breaking but I imagine if scientists ever figured out anti-gravity then Nanase's physic teacher likely wouldn't be so annoyed seeing her floating around the school halls. Heck Nanase's ability to create the dolls could be explained as a form of matter replication, drawing from molecules in the environment to form the doll.

10 hours ago, The Old Hack said:

Given the mention that royalty have strong magic, it may not even be vestigial. The revolutionary ideas of equality may not really hold when the royalty ARE better.

Note that this is ANDREA fangirling, she might not be informed yet ... but yes, I still see it as polite acceptance of royal caprice.

6 hours ago, Aura Guardian said:

I wonder what they would say about Tedd's aura...

"I'm blind!"

7 hours ago, The Old Hack said:

This may happen at any age. One becomes especially vulnerable to it when 1) using a second language and 2) very tired. My English-speaking girlfriend (nowadays wife) was once quite amused when I, upon emerging dripping wet from the bath, asked for a trowel to dry myself off with.

There is an additional problem with pronunciation: even if you know the correct world, you may say it as something different. At least if you mostly learned the language in written form.

5 hours ago, FailedSanity said:

I'm so glad Ashley is enjoying the cool magic stuff so genuinely. There's a lot of (justified) paranoia regaurding magic in the EGS 'verse and it's nice to see someone legitimately geek out and love the magic system as they're being introduced to it. I have a feeling she'll get along fine with Tedd. :)

Well ... that was sort of expected after her reaction to Elliot's change.

3 hours ago, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:

This could  be trouble.

If this is true...

I see you missed few episodes of Star Trek. Namely, The Squire of Gothos, Where No Man Has Gone Before, Encounter at Farpoint, Hide and Q, Q Who, Deja Q, Qpid, True Q, Tapestry, All Good Things, The Survivors ...

Just because Scotty can't change the laws of physics doesn't mean noone can.

2 hours ago, SeriousJupiter said:

It's possible, but I don't think so. If all the sci-fi I've watched has taught me anything at all, it's the fact that humans are found everywhere in every universe. I remember someone suggesting in the old forums that the griffins' homeworld might not have any humans or that humans are the griffins' pets or something, but I never believed those theories for a second. It was obvious to me that Tara and Andrea knew what humans are because Tara knew about "Ancients" and they look very much like humans.

Then again, Tara doesn't seem to know everything about humans and their behavior, since she had to ask if having large mammaries gave humans an advantage in battle.

Not literally everywhere but are definitely very common.

Tara might've not really meant it seriously. Or she never cared.

1 hour ago, Scotty said:

The laws of physics are based on what we've been able to perceive with our current capabilities in science, as we learn more about things, our understanding of physics changes. If we see something that appears to break the laws of physics, it just means that something happened that we've never expected. Magic as it stands still somewhat follows the laws of physics, stuff like being able to fly may seem physics breaking but I imagine if scientists ever figured out anti-gravity then Nanase's physic teacher likely wouldn't be so annoyed seeing her floating around the school halls. Heck Nanase's ability to create the dolls could be explained as a form of matter replication, drawing from molecules in the environment to form the doll.

Agree. Newton would totally see black hole as impossible. Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic (Clarke) and any sufficiently analyzed magic is indistinguishable from technology (Girl Genius).

The really weird issue is the magic reset. Apparently, while "other" physical laws are solid, magic laws can change a lot.

2 minutes ago, hkmaly said:

Given the mention that royalty have strong magic, it may not even be vestigial. The revolutionary ideas of equality may not really hold when the royalty ARE better.

There is an additional problem with pronunciation: even if you know the correct world, you may say it as something different. At least if you mostly learned the language in written form.

Royalty: Oh, I agree. That was why I said 'possibly.'

Pronunciation: Oh Lord yes. I learned so much English from reading back in the day. Even these days I will all too frequently mispronounce some word I only know in written form and my wife has to correct me.