• Announcements

• Robin

Welcome!   03/05/2016

Welcome, everyone, to the new 910CMX Community Forums. I'm still working on getting them running, so things may change.  If you're a 910 Comic creator and need your forum recreated, let me know and I'll get on it right away.  I'll do my best to make this new place as fun as the last one!
Sign in to follow this  
partner555

Story: Friday March 11 2016

2 hours ago, partner555 said:

The thing about wizards is that they can learn other people's spells. We don't know if this is limitless or if there are limits.

What, like Pokémon? Wizards can only learn four spells from other people and they must forget one of their old spells if they want to learn a new one?

...That actually sounds pretty hilarious. Terribly inconvenient, but hilarious.

1 hour ago, Scotty said:

Well we know Wolf Described Noriko as a "Legendary Monster Hunter" and "Powerhouse" which would imply that Noriko would be more powerful than Edward, Wolf and Cranium combined. So I'm willing to bet that if Tara and Andrea looked at Edward, they'd be like "yeah he's got strong magic ability, but he's no royal".

Well, perhaps not more powerful than all of them combined, but yes, I'm sure Noriko is the strongest user of Earth magic in EGS. I wonder if even Grace, after having mastered all of her powers and Greg's teachings, would be a match for her.

1 hour ago, hkmaly said:

I'm sure griffins will be able to recognize elf. And we don't know if Cranium is powerful. Wolf and Edward, maybe.

You're probably right, unless of course there are no elves in their world. Remember, Ancients seem to have a somewhat different set of rules from immortals, and Raven himself gave me the impression that elves are very rare. Perhaps Ancients have agreed to not mix with humans at all.

As for Cranium, we know she has at least one psychic ability (being able to see places without actually being there herself), so perhaps she is powerful in a different way from Edward and Wolf. Telekinesis, illusions, hypnosis, mind-reading, heck, maybe even Sarah's spell are all things I'd expect a magic user named Cranium to be able to use.

1 hour ago, hkmaly said:

Her half may have same number of human magic users as our world (or at least same number of magic user FAMILIES, that is, people with hereditary magical affinity), the difference being they are more public. With current lack of information, I would consider it most likely.

Good point. I wonder, does hereditary magic really make a mage more powerful, or are Muggle-borns capable of everything the pure-bloods are in EGS? I certainly hope so, and I certainly hope that the griffins haven't been taught to believe in pure-blood supremacy!

1 hour ago, Scotty said:

In the EGS universe, someone having a considerable magic ability would be able to back up the claim of being chosen by a divine power. After a while you'll eventually have families rise up that are distinctly more powerful than anyone else and so the notion of someone with a very strong aura being of a royal bloodline would take hold. In Tara and Andrea's half of the world this notion is still pretty strong and the human royal families would be revered by many as leaders, whereas in the main 8's half, magic had fallen into secrecy for many generations.

Yep, those royals are starting to sound more and more like Death Eaters. The only difference is that they apparently really are more powerful than other magic users in their world and that they (hopefully) aren't discriminatory.

7 minutes ago, SeriousJupiter said:

Yep, those royals are starting to sound more and more like Death Eaters. The only difference is that they apparently really are more powerful than other magic users in their world and that they (hopefully) aren't discriminatory.

There might be a caste system in their world, You got the royalty being the most powerful magic users, but other magic users could be advisors, ministers, etc. Maybe there are other professions where some magically aptitude would be useful, like healers and such.

9 hours ago, hkmaly said:
9 hours ago, partner555 said:

Time to nominate a judge. I nominate Albert Einstein.

Stephen Hawking. I think Einstein would be problematic for such courtroom due to being dead. Unless the courtroom IS in afterlife ... wait, that would be even more hypocritical.

Not really a problem. We just use Dr. Gehrman instead of Einstein. He looks kinda like him, so he ought to be perfect.

On 03/12/2016 at 0:43 AM, Scotty said:
On 03/12/2016 at 0:09 AM, hkmaly said:

Most royal families rose to power through military action. The difference is that it happened several generations ago.

In our world, certainly. As well as people claiming to be chosen by a divine power. In the EGS universe, someone having a considerable magic ability would be able to back up the claim of being chosen by a divine power. After a while you'll eventually have families rise up that are distinctly more powerful than anyone else and so the notion of someone with a very strong aura being of a royal bloodline would take hold. In Tara and Andrea's half of the world this notion is still pretty strong and the human royal families would be revered by many as leaders, whereas in the main 8's half, magic had fallen into secrecy for many generations.

You underestimate usefulness of magic in military actions.

On 03/13/2016 at 1:37 AM, SeriousJupiter said:
On 03/12/2016 at 0:09 AM, hkmaly said:

Her half may have same number of human magic users as our world (or at least same number of magic user FAMILIES, that is, people with hereditary magical affinity), the difference being they are more public. With current lack of information, I would consider it most likely.

Good point. I wonder, does hereditary magic really make a mage more powerful, or are Muggle-borns capable of everything the pure-bloods are in EGS? I certainly hope so, and I certainly hope that the griffins haven't been taught to believe in pure-blood supremacy!

I was going for "non-hereditary magic users don't count as their number can change very quickly", but I would say "yes". The abominations definitely consider mages with summoning affinity more dangerous than mages who would just yearning for summoning spells ...

Why do you think griffins need to be taught that? :)

On 03/13/2016 at 1:37 AM, SeriousJupiter said:

Death Eaters bases their belief of pure-blood supremacy on the idea that marrying muggle will lower magic abilities of child. Based on what Noriko said, this doesn't seem to be the case in EGS universe ... of course, we will see more when it will be confirmed that Mr. Kitsune is muggle and Akiko has magic talent.

On 03/13/2016 at 1:45 AM, Scotty said:

There might be a caste system in their world, You got the royalty being the most powerful magic users, but other magic users could be advisors, ministers, etc. Maybe there are other professions where some magically aptitude would be useful, like healers and such.

Or maybe not. In caste system, changing caste is extremely difficult. In system based on magic, commoners who somehow have strong magic will automatically be lifted to higher caste even if someone would need to marry them.

It reminds me Riftwar saga. Tsurani have strong caste system - with one exception: mages are outside it. If anyone, even slave, displays a magic talent, he is made mage.

5 minutes ago, hkmaly said:

It reminds me Riftwar saga. Tsurani have strong caste system - with one exception: mages are outside it. If anyone, even slave, displays a magic talent, he is made mage.

Doesn't that just mean that there is Mage caste?

15 minutes ago, hkmaly said:

If magic users are fairly common among humans in the griffins half of the world, maybe, though I could see it being a case of one family asserting dominance through challenging another family to a magic duel or something. It'd be one thing to have a rank 9 family defeat a rank 8 family in a duel, and another to have a rank 9 family get beaten by a rank 5 family  fielding 100 rank 2 mages. Though maybe something like that did happen until someone came up with the dueling idea.

24 minutes ago, hkmaly said:

Or maybe not. In caste system, changing caste is extremely difficult. In system based on magic, commoners who somehow have strong magic will automatically be lifted to higher caste even if someone would need to marry them.

Well I didn't say it would have been a strict caste system, just one that favored magic users so yeah anyone that had magical aptitude would have an advantage somewhere. And if a slave turns out to have more magic ability than their master, then they could possibly overthrow the master and take their place.

I note that on no occasion has either griffin said anything about their world's human nobility in general, or about magic among humans in general. Just that the royal family is a strongly magical bloodline, and that Nanase's magic is strong enough it's hard to imagine her not being part of that family (which implies that really strongly magical people born outside that family tend to be adopted or married into it).

So maybe magic-users of, oh, Susan's current level are a dime a dozen. This seems likely for the world in general, although not necessarily for humans, considering Tara was able to intimidate an Ancient into temporarily leaving our world - and she's a knight, not a wizard.

As for making the little fairy appear being impressive - in itself somewhat, but the fact of its persistence more so. You see, technically there's nothing theoretically wrong with violating the law of conservation of matter and energy... temporarily. But that violation has to later (and usually not much later) be undone. Ellen's and Elliot's shape-changings get undone. All of Susan's, Dex's, and Abraham's summonings get undone.

Nanase's fairydolls don't get undone, even when cut in half. And creating matter takes a HUGE amount of energy. The energy of the A-bomb explosion at Hiroshima was nowhere near sufficient to create an entire fairydoll.

Flying takes energy too, but vastly less than matter-creation (and far less for a fairydoll than for a human figure or guardian form). That energy could plausibly be tapped from the environment. Or if it is created, its un-creation can be done inconspicuously.

(Oh, and Ashley? Put your phone on speaker... too bad Elliot in his current condition doesn't know how to do the same and possibly can't.)

18 hours ago, hkmaly said:

I was going for "non-hereditary magic users don't count as their number can change very quickly", but I would say "yes". The abominations definitely consider mages with summoning affinity more dangerous than mages who would just yearning for summoning spells ...

Why do you think griffins need to be taught that? :)

I realized it was a stupid thing to hope for soon after I posted it. If hereditary magic really makes a mage more powerful and the most powerful mages are royals, then it's obvious that the griffins consider pure-bloods better than other mages.

I'm not quite sure why you brought up summoning, though. If royal mages are as powerful as the griffins claim, then they most likely know summoning spells or other spells strong enough to kill Aberrations. However, I'm sure that not all mages who can summon are considered royals. Diane seems to have the same affinity as Susan, and she was called a potential "hunter" by both Tara and the Vampider. If I had to guess, I'd say that hunters are elite soldiers and/or bodyguards of royalty in Tara and Andrea's half of the world. Tara is a knight, but she may also be a hunter herself as well.

18 hours ago, hkmaly said:

Death Eaters bases their belief of pure-blood supremacy on the idea that marrying muggle will lower magic abilities of child. Based on what Noriko said, this doesn't seem to be the case in EGS universe ... of course, we will see more when it will be confirmed that Mr. Kitsune is muggle and Akiko has magic talent.

Um, didn't Noriko say exactly the opposite? That hereditary magic had always been very straightforward in her family? I understood it meant that her entire family had been mages for generations. Also, Edward is a wizard, or at least a very talented mage. Noriko seemed to take it for granted that Tedd would one day become her apprentice because of his parents' magical abilities. She didn't know what to do when Tedd appeared to be a Squib.

However, I'm not saying that Noriko is prejudiced against Muggles. We know literally nothing about Nanase's father, but I agree with you, if he is a Muggle, then it certainly didn't prevent his daughter from learning magic. As for Akiko, we'll see.

15 hours ago, Don Edwards said:

I note that on no occasion has either griffin said anything about their world's human nobility in general, or about magic among humans in general. Just that the royal family is a strongly magical bloodline, and that Nanase's magic is strong enough it's hard to imagine her not being part of that family (which implies that really strongly magical people born outside that family tend to be adopted or married into it).

The Princess Nanase cometh, behold, behold...

4 minutes ago, SeriousJupiter said:

Um, didn't Noriko say exactly the opposite? That hereditary magic had always been very straightforward in her family? I understood it meant that her entire family had been mages for generations. Also, Edward is a wizard, or at least a very talented mage. Noriko seemed to take it for granted that Tedd would one day become her apprentice because of his parents' magical abilities. She didn't know what to do when Tedd appeared to be a Squib.

Noriko's exact words were "It doesn't make sense, between my bloodline and Edward's" implying that the Verre's bloodline is strong magically as well. Adrian's comment that "heredity and magic is not always as straightforward as one would hope." could imply that Adrian is aware of magic's "flair for the dramatic" but probably didn't want to use those exact words and upset Noriko further by basically telling her that magic is trolling her.

18 hours ago, Scotty said:
19 hours ago, hkmaly said:

If magic users are fairly common among humans in the griffins half of the world, maybe, though I could see it being a case of one family asserting dominance through challenging another family to a magic duel or something. It'd be one thing to have a rank 9 family defeat a rank 8 family in a duel, and another to have a rank 9 family get beaten by a rank 5 family  fielding 100 rank 2 mages. Though maybe something like that did happen until someone came up with the dueling idea.

In Drowtales the idea behind duels was exactly this. Guess what happened when the side with numeric advantage decided to NOT duel ...

16 hours ago, Don Edwards said:

So maybe magic-users of, oh, Susan's current level are a dime a dozen. This seems likely for the world in general, although not necessarily for humans, considering Tara was able to intimidate an Ancient into temporarily leaving our world - and she's a knight, not a wizard.

Susan is likely relatively high level magic user. Not like Nanase, but higher than say Elliot.

And Tara being knight doesn't mean she is NOT wizard - although I suppose she isn't (but maybe Andrea is). She is certainly high level magic user.

16 hours ago, Don Edwards said:

Nanase's fairydolls don't get undone, even when cut in half. And creating matter takes a HUGE amount of energy. The energy of the A-bomb explosion at Hiroshima was nowhere near sufficient to create an entire fairydoll.

The energy of Little Boy was 15 kiloton of TNT, which is about 700 milligrams of matter. The fairy is likely less than thousand times heavier, and therefore easily below the maximal yield of hydrogen bombs. Of course, still impressive, but not completely outside human experience.

Well, yeah, I can see some families playing dirty, but a duel system could be seen as more honourable. plus in many cases if such a duel occurred, the winner could not only take over the lands of the loser, but could also take the hand of the loser's son/daughter in marriage and any children born of that marriage could potentially strengthen the bloodline.

41 minutes ago, Scotty said:

Noriko's exact words were "It doesn't make sense, between my bloodline and Edward's" implying that the Verre's bloodline is strong magically as well. Adrian's comment that "heredity and magic is not always as straightforward as one would hope." could imply that Adrian is aware of magic's "flair for the dramatic" but probably didn't want to use those exact words and upset Noriko further by basically telling her that magic is trolling her.

Yes, and after Raven said the thing about magic and heredity not always being straightforward, Noriko replied that "it always was for my family".

56 minutes ago, SeriousJupiter said:

I realized it was a stupid thing to hope for soon after I posted it. If hereditary magic really makes a mage more powerful and the most powerful mages are royals, then it's obvious that the griffins consider pure-bloods better than other mages.

I'm not quite sure why you brought up summoning, though. If royal mages are as powerful as the griffins claim, then they most likely know summoning spells or other spells strong enough to kill Aberrations. However, I'm sure that not all mages who can summon are considered royals. Diane seems to have the same affinity as Susan, and she was called a potential "hunter" by both Tara and the Vampider. If I had to guess, I'd say that hunters are elite soldiers and/or bodyguards of royalty in Tara and Andrea's half of the world. Tara is a knight, but she may also be a hunter herself as well.

I brought up summoning because we have most informations about it. And note that the term for elite soldier and/or bodyguard IS knight - and knights were nobility, although not royalty.

59 minutes ago, SeriousJupiter said:

Um, didn't Noriko say exactly the opposite? That hereditary magic had always been very straightforward in her family? I understood it meant that her entire family had been mages for generations.

Her entire family had been mages for generations - but she didn't mentioned it was because they always married other mages AND she didn't mentioned Edward at all, which suggests that it was NOT always the case and that it doesn't matter that Edward is also mage.

23 minutes ago, Scotty said:

Well, yeah, I can see some families playing dirty, but a duel system could be seen as more honourable. plus in many cases if such a duel occurred, the winner could not only take over the lands of the loser, but could also take the hand of the loser's son/daughter in marriage and any children born of that marriage could potentially strengthen the bloodline.

Generally, people who chose honor before live tend to be, well, dead ... while the ones who chose live survived, had offspring and lot of opportunities to explain to historians how it really happened.