• Announcements

• Robin

Welcome!   03/05/2016

Welcome, everyone, to the new 910CMX Community Forums. I'm still working on getting them running, so things may change.  If you're a 910 Comic creator and need your forum recreated, let me know and I'll get on it right away.  I'll do my best to make this new place as fun as the last one!
Sign in to follow this  
Howitzer

Story: Friday, September 23, 2016

1 minute ago, hkmaly said:

Helping Adrian was ALWAYS her focus :)

And remember: there was more energy in Moperville that it should be for MOST of Tedd's live. I think she created the clog shortly after parting with Adrian.

True, the increased energy would have likely been something Pandora caused 14 years ago and could have been to help either Adrian or Tedd, but making magic public wasn't the idea at the time.

Just now, Scotty said:
6 minutes ago, hkmaly said:

Helping Adrian was ALWAYS her focus :)

And remember: there was more energy in Moperville that it should be for MOST of Tedd's live. I think she created the clog shortly after parting with Adrian.

True, the increased energy would have likely been something Pandora caused 14 years ago and could have been to help either Adrian or Tedd, but making magic public wasn't the idea at the time.

I would think that either she already had the plan but only tested if it's possible until she promised Adrian to change the world (makes sense not to promise something you don't know if you can do), or, yes, it might've been part of some other plan of her (possibly also to help Adrian and/or Tedd but not by making magic public).

But I definitely think she already had the plan to make magic public around the time Magus appeared. She possibly wasn't executing it yet, but she had it ready.

19 minutes ago, hkmaly said:

I would think that either she already had the plan but only tested if it's possible until she promised Adrian to change the world (makes sense not to promise something you don't know if you can do), or, yes, it might've been part of some other plan of her (possibly also to help Adrian and/or Tedd but not by making magic public).

But I definitely think she already had the plan to make magic public around the time Magus appeared. She possibly wasn't executing it yet, but she had it ready.

It's possible that Moperville has some enhanced magic just from being a point where magic flows to the other side.  There could be some natural aggregation that goes with that.

Pandora may have been gathering pieces for something just because she's Pandora and chaotic...

30 minutes ago, Vorlonagent said:

It's possible that Moperville has some enhanced magic just from being a point where magic flows to the other side.  There could be some natural aggregation that goes with that.

That wouldn't be something that happened DURING Tedd's live - it would be something which was ALWAYS true.

6 minutes ago, Random Wanderer said:

I still don't trust this guy any further than I can throw him. And since he looks like he's about seven feet tall right now, that's probably not very far.

We don't know how HEAVY he is.

(Reminds me "I trust him as far as I can throw that mountain." - "As a wizard, you can throw that mountain to the sea with few words.")

1 hour ago, Tom Sewell said:

If there's any Immortal that Edward actually knows, it would most likely be Pandora.

I imagine Edward knows many of the immortals around Moperville.  Jerry does after all call him a VIP in the world of the paranormal, which suggests both that there is a paranormal community of some sort and many of its members know Edward. 

Which is only to be expected.  Immortals may prefer to police themselves, but organizations ranging from criminal Triads to the Roman Catholic Church prefer to police themselves.  That doesn't mean governments let them. 

11 minutes ago, malloyd said:

Which is only to be expected.  Immortals may prefer to police themselves, but organizations ranging from criminal Triads to the Roman Catholic Church prefer to police themselves.  That doesn't mean governments let them. 

Immortals have the advantage of separate plane of existence.

It is implied earlier that "Plan CM" requires Elliot to be alive. I don't think he ever really wanted to kill Elliot specifically. This guy has a plan, and that plan involves Elliot, and I don't think his overall aim has changed, but he was trying to achieve something by killing Elliot and now he is trying to achieve it in some other way that also requires Elliot.

What that is, I have no idea, but I honestly don't think he's trying for wiggle room in this vow he's making.

He did call Elliot "the pawn of chaos" at one point though, so I bet it involves Pandora.  Elliot, alive or dead, is not his objective.  Elliot is a tool he is using.

47 minutes ago, JustBecauseICantDraw said:

He did call Elliot "the pawn of chaos" at one point though, so I bet it involves Pandora.  Elliot, alive or dead, is not his objective.  Elliot is a tool he is using.

There is difference between chaos and Chaos, at least in EGS terms.  Ashley may or may not have the ability to hear capital letters.

On 9/24/2016 at 6:54 PM, hkmaly said:

That wouldn't be something that happened DURING Tedd's live - it would be something which was ALWAYS true.

Everybody in Moperville takes it as a given that weird stuff happens.  If the weirdness were the results of a recent action, people would still be unsure and creeped out.  Dan has made a point of mentioning this and its side effects (the local newspaper is considered a tabloid, etc)

4 hours ago, Vorlonagent said:
On 09/24/2016 at 3:54 AM, hkmaly said:

Everybody in Moperville takes it as a given that weird stuff happens.  If the weirdness were the results of a recent action, people would still be unsure and creeped out.  Dan has made a point of mentioning this and its side effects (the local newspaper is considered a tabloid, etc)

14 years are enough for people to get used to it, especially if it was happening slowly. Also, the starting point wasn't exactly zero - just Raven teaching people here (I'm not talking about history, I'm talking about what he taught Edward and Noriko) could generate some weirdness ...

1 hour ago, hkmaly said:

14 years are enough for people to get used to it, especially if it was happening slowly. Also, the starting point wasn't exactly zero - just Raven teaching people here (I'm not talking about history, I'm talking about what he taught Edward and Noriko) could generate some weirdness ...

I acknowledge the possibility here but am not inclined to buy it.

I can't see Pandora starting her plot to make magic common knowledge that long ago...

7 hours ago, Vorlonagent said:

1 hour ago, Vorlonagent said:

I can't see Pandora starting her plot to make magic common knowledge that long ago...

Yet you made so good argument for that ... :)

Just now, hkmaly said:

I make an argument for Moperville as a place where strange things just happen and have for a while, sort of like Buffy's Sunnydale.  The whys and wherefores are up for grabs. 

Like Sunnydale Moperville has a pre-existing natural oddity associated with it.  Sunnydale was a Hellmouth, Moperville was a point where magic flowed from one side of the world to the next.  It seems simpler to expect Moperville's longstanding oddity to account for its longstanding weirdness.

5 minutes ago, Vorlonagent said:

Like Sunnydale Moperville has a pre-existing natural oddity associated with it.  Sunnydale was a Hellmouth, Moperville was a point where magic flowed from one side of the world to the next.  It seems simpler to expect Moperville's longstanding oddity to account for its longstanding weirdness.

It's possible that the weirdness is related to the sink and therefore longterm. But there WAS change which happened DURING Tedd's life, but somewhere near the beginning, as it was changed for most of his life. As said by the whale. Of course, this change doesn't necessary need to be caused by Pandora, but it's the simplest explanation.

14 hours ago, hkmaly said:

It's possible that Pandora initially created the blockage for some other reason. For example, a partial blockage may make magic easier for Adrian, who has lived in Moperville for apparently at least 34 years. And then when Tedd was born with his "dangerous rarity", and Adrian became his godfather, she made the blockage more complete to eventually boost Tedd.

15 hours ago, hkmaly said:

It's possible that the weirdness is related to the sink and therefore longterm. But there WAS change which happened DURING Tedd's life, but somewhere near the beginning, as it was changed for most of his life. As said by the whale. Of course, this change doesn't necessary need to be caused by Pandora, but it's the simplest explanation.

I put a lot of stock in this comic. Carol is older than the Main 8 and she is completely used to local weirdness.  I take from this that things have been weird probably since before Carol was born (weirdness taken for granted by the time Carol was old enough to start processing such things + an amount of time for weird things to start happening and for people to get used to it), so I'd say strange stuff has been happening in Moperville for at least 30 years minimum.

The further back we can trace weird stuff happening, the more strongly Occam's Razor suggests that something other than Pandora is responsible.  30 years says Moperville was not normal before Pandora and Raven showed up.  Raven is probably there, along with Nanase's family and Ed Verres' FBI unit, because of a long history of weirdness in Moperville.

If we build on that reasoning and decide that Ed Verres' parents and Nanase's grandparents moved to Moperville because of the strangeness of the place, we can push the probable arcane history of Moperville back to 40 years ago and make a case for 50.

Just now, Vorlonagent said:

I put a lot of stock in this comic. Carol is older than the Main 8 and she is completely used to local weirdness.  I take from this that things have been weird probably since before Carol was born (weirdness taken for granted by the time Carol was old enough to start processing such things + an amount of time for weird things to start happening and for people to get used to it), so I'd say strange stuff has been happening in Moperville for at least 30 years minimum.

The further back we can trace weird stuff happening, the more strongly Occam's Razor suggests that something other than Pandora is responsible.  30 years says Moperville was not normal before Pandora and Raven showed up.  Raven is probably there, along with Nanase's family and Ed Verres' FBI unit, because of a long history of weirdness in Moperville.

If we build on that reasoning and decide that Ed Verres' parents and Nanase's grandparents moved to Moperville because of the strangeness of the place, we can push the probable arcane history of Moperville back to 40 years ago and make a case for 50.

We should also account for the fact that just having a link to the other side of the world might be enough to have a history of weird stuff going on, the increased energy levels seem to be a thing that's been happening for roughly 14 years with a complete saturation due to the clog happening within the past year, BUT there could still have been frequent instances of creatures or mages from the other half of the world peeking into this half for decades or even centuries.

4 hours ago, Scotty said:

We should also account for the fact that just having a link to the other side of the world might be enough to have a history of weird stuff going on, the increased energy levels seem to be a thing that's been happening for roughly 14 years with a complete saturation due to the clog happening within the past year, BUT there could still have been frequent instances of creatures or mages from the other half of the world peeking into this half for decades or even centuries.

Exactly. Might not be THAT frequent, but compared to rest of the world ...

5 hours ago, Vorlonagent said:

Raven is probably there, along with Nanase's family and Ed Verres' FBI unit, because of a long history of weirdness in Moperville.

That is possible.

7 hours ago, Don Edwards said:

It's possible that Pandora initially created the blockage for some other reason. For example, a partial blockage may make magic easier for Adrian, who has lived in Moperville for apparently at least 34 years. And then when Tedd was born with his "dangerous rarity", and Adrian became his godfather, she made the blockage more complete to eventually boost Tedd.

Adrian probably didn't needed that, but the timeline might match boosting Tedd. While it's POSSIBLE Pandora had this plan in mind even back then (and I even consider it likely - she's old, it's not so long time for her), the probability of her making the partial blockage is bigger than probability of her making the partial blockage as part of plan to make magic public.

33 minutes ago, ijuin said:

Another hint that weirdness has been standard in Moperville for a long time is that George actually has monster insurance. Nobody would buy monster insurance unless they believed that monster attacks are a thing that might happen.

I don't think it's specifically monster insurance; I think it's car insurance that covers various different types of damage.  If monsters don't exist (which the company might be assuming), then the insurance company adding "monster-related damage" to the list of things they cover (at least in theory) doesn't cost them anything, and might convince a few people who believe that monsters exist to buy their insurance instead of their competitors'.

(I don't know if insurance companies actually do things like this; potential downsides could include people who don't believe in monsters taking them less seriously, and costs relating to dealing with any customer that does claim to have monster-related damage, even they're not correct.)

I don't know about insurance where you live, but where I live, once you have the required liability coverage (i.e. covering any damage you might do to other people's cars/property/bodies in a collision), a lot of insurers allow you to add coverage for other kinds of damage "a la carte"--fire, flood, quake, storm damage, vandalism, etc. Some do offer package deals that cover several causes for less than buying them all individually, but the customer generally gets a choice of what to get coverage for.

Reminds me of how the movie An American Werewolf In London put their own twist on a standard movie-credit disclaimer by stating that "any similarity to actual persons, living, dead, or undead, is purely coincidental."  Or the CDC disaster planning that included "Zombie Attacks."  Or, on the flip side, the fact that Motorola started specifying that taking their modems off the planet voids their warranty*.  I can definitely see a page on a web site with options to check that included "Monsters" as a joke.

*That one was actually added for a good reason.  ;-)

I'm wondering if not most of the rest of the country considers Moperville something of a hoax. After all most anything in the media about that town is obviously made up, and it's been that way for as long as theres been newspapers. It probably started as a joke that became perpetuated as more and more papers used stories from Moperville as light entertainment whenever they were a bit short on real news. After all most every news story about that town is about some weird giant animal, flying critters the size of a camper, burning people fighting in the streets and flying cheerleaders. There's no way that place actually exists, and if it does then they are probably playing along just for the fun and to sell Moperville Mad Monster merchandise. A bit like how you can buy Blinky merchandise in any town called Springfield...