• Announcements

• Robin

Welcome!   03/05/2016

Welcome, everyone, to the new 910CMX Community Forums. I'm still working on getting them running, so things may change.  If you're a 910 Comic creator and need your forum recreated, let me know and I'll get on it right away.  I'll do my best to make this new place as fun as the last one!
Sign in to follow this  
Howitzer

Story: Friday, September 23, 2016

1 hour ago, Haylo said:

Maybe a series of "You're Always Covered" adds? 

"My house got stomped flat by a monster!"

"That was actually a tornado, but even if it was a monster you'd still be covered."

In one issue of X-Men three of our heroes -- Colossus, Nightcrawler and Wolverine -- decide to go bar crawling. At the bar they run into Juggernaut. Juggernaut just wants to drink but Colossus, being dumber than a sack of rocks, insists on picking a fight with him. Cue massive property damage; the bartender and other customers hastily vacate the premises.

One customer tells the bartender, "You're taking this awfully calmly." Replies the bartender, "I have super-hero insurance." Customer: "Super-hero insurance?" Bartender: "In New York City, you can't do without it."

(Incidentally, Colossus lost the fight and Juggernaut walked off looking for another bar to drink in. Nightcrawler and Wolverine both stayed out of the fight, neither of them being stupid.)

1 hour ago, CritterKeeper said:

Reminds me of how the movie An American Werewolf In London put their own twist on a standard movie-credit disclaimer by stating that "any similarity to actual persons, living, dead, or undead, is purely coincidental."  Or the CDC disaster planning that included "Zombie Attacks."  Or, on the flip side, the fact that Motorola started specifying that taking their modems off the planet voids their warranty*.  I can definitely see a page on a web site with options to check that included "Monsters" as a joke.

*That one was actually added for a good reason.  ;-)

The DoD/CDC planning for Zombie attacks was a training on how to make plans.  They made it so over they top that if/when the press found out about it there wouldn't be wild stories about "The Army is taking over Texas" or something like that.  People still freaked.  Seems that people expect the DoD to have a plan for everything, but freak out if they find out they do.

1 hour ago, mlooney said:

The DoD/CDC planning for Zombie attacks was a training on how to make plans.  They made it so over they top that if/when the press found out about it there wouldn't be wild stories about "The Army is taking over Texas" or something like that.  People still freaked.  Seems that people expect the DoD to have a plan for everything, but freak out if they find out they do.

Most of the reactions I saw were amusement, not freak-out.  People in general got the joke.

There's actually a group that shows up at area SFF cons in their own pseudo-military gear with a zombie-fighting theme who are actually a disaster-preparedness group.  They're quite nice and have some very informative brochures.

2 hours ago, mlooney said:

The classical method of zombie-ness being spread to people who are bitten but not eaten is also a good proxy for a highly virulent plague which is not airborne, but which spreads very easily via casual contact.

3 hours ago, CritterKeeper said:

Most of the reactions I saw were amusement, not freak-out.  People in general got the joke.

There's actually a group that shows up at area SFF cons in their own pseudo-military gear with a zombie-fighting theme who are actually a disaster-preparedness group.  They're quite nice and have some very informative brochures.

Freak is a realative word here.  I did hear a few people, who should know better, bitch about the DoD wasting time and money on silly planning when there was a war going on, which means the people bitching totally missed the point of training on how to plan.

6 hours ago, CritterKeeper said:
7 hours ago, mlooney said:

Joke?

Training is not joke. If people working on that plan wouldn't take it seriously, it would really be useless.

5 hours ago, ijuin said:

The classical method of zombie-ness being spread to people who are bitten but not eaten is also a good proxy for a highly virulent plague which is not airborne, but which spreads very easily via casual contact.

Except it's better to talk about zombies because if your plan includes killing everyone infected people might protest if it would be just "normal infection". Despite the fact that in epidemic situation and with no known cure, it may really be necessary.

8 hours ago, Cpt. Obvious said:

I'm wondering if not most of the rest of the country considers Moperville something of a hoax. After all most anything in the media about that town is obviously made up, and it's been that way for as long as theres been newspapers. It probably started as a joke that became perpetuated as more and more papers used stories from Moperville as light entertainment whenever they were a bit short on real news. After all most every news story about that town is about some weird giant animal, flying critters the size of a camper, burning people fighting in the streets and flying cheerleaders. There's no way that place actually exists, and if it does then they are probably playing along just for the fun and to sell Moperville Mad Monster merchandise. A bit like how you can buy Blinky merchandise in any town called Springfield...

Well, they are definitely people like this. And Edward definitely was doing everything possible to make sure they are majority, when it was still his job.