• Announcements

• Robin

Welcome!   03/05/2016

Welcome, everyone, to the new 910CMX Community Forums. I'm still working on getting them running, so things may change.  If you're a 910 Comic creator and need your forum recreated, let me know and I'll get on it right away.  I'll do my best to make this new place as fun as the last one!
Sign in to follow this  
WillikaKillika

Story for Wednesday, September 28, 2016

http://www.egscomics.com/index.php?id=2255

The endless barrel of exposition explains vows and now we don't have to worry about the nature of an Immortal's vow. I wonder how Sir Edward Verres of Moperville knows this. Perhaps he, or another US gov employee had reason to extract a vow from an Immortal in the past and demanded an extensive explanation of exactly what kind of insurance that would provide then discovered that it is little better than a distracting, thunderous, traitorous thought.

25 minutes ago, WillikaKillika said:

http://www.egscomics.com/index.php?id=2255

The endless barrel of exposition explains vows and now we don't have to worry about the nature of an Immortal's vow. I wonder how Sir Edward Verres of Moperville knows this. Perhaps he, or another US gov employee had reason to extract a vow from an Immortal in the past and demanded an extensive explanation of exactly what kind of insurance that would provide then discovered that it is little better than a distracting, thunderous, traitorous thought.

Hey, distracting, thunderous and traitorous thoughts can drive a person insane.

Incite wars for fun? Now that is an all-time low.

In the context of Edward in OCD might actually be more of an OC. And that is not even paranoia; just obsessive-compulsive.

So breaking a vow won't force reset an immortal, but it could potentially drive them mad from a bombardment of intrusive, unwanted thoughts. Alright then.

Also, Volraire looks rather creepy in the first panel. Like he's empty inside expect for a blindingly bright light.

This is something else to think about, Helena and Demtrius watching over Elliot would have to be because of a vow they made wouldn't it? It would explain why they still continue to do so even after an improper reset. We haven't seen any real evidence that a vow is driving them but then they haven't really tried deviating from it either like Jerry almost did. Going off to deal with vampires isn't breaking the vow if they believe they're trying to do both at the same time, especially if they think that this many vampires in Moperville is a threat to Elliot.

You would think they could handle it by one of them staying with Elliot while the other went off to deal with the Aberration-hunting.  They seem to be joined at the hip, instead, which seems like it deserves an explanation at some point.

How many of us have taken an introductory class to an advanced field in college, or even high school, and wind up convinced that we are now experts? Grace, you are not alone.

But it does provide a more plausible explanation why Grace would be familiar with the "Gender Fluid" concept beyond random web browsing.

2 hours ago, CritterKeeper said:

They (les immortels) seem to be joined at the hip, instead, which seems like it deserves an explanation at some point.

Two recently reset immortals wake up together, but otherwise alone.  They know each other, they know they need to do something involving Elliot Dunkle of Moperville, but have huge gaps in their memories after that point.  They are lost children who can only rely on each other.

If those two were German, it would have been better to call them Hänsel und Gretel.

Edited by Pharaoh RutinTutin
Relevant detail added

9 hours ago, Scotty said:

This is something else to think about, Helena and Demtrius watching over Elliot would have to be because of a vow they made wouldn't it? It would explain why they still continue to do so even after an improper reset. We haven't seen any real evidence that a vow is driving them but then they haven't really tried deviating from it either like Jerry almost did. Going off to deal with vampires isn't breaking the vow if they believe they're trying to do both at the same time, especially if they think that this many vampires in Moperville is a threat to Elliot.

Actually, perhaps how they are guarding Elliot is example of what will happen with a vow after improper reset. They are not aware they vowed, but still have the compulsion to do it ... on the other hand, the explanation they are doing it hoping they would find out what happened also makes sense.

9 hours ago, CritterKeeper said:

They seem to be joined at the hip, instead, which seems like it deserves an explanation at some point.

... and immortals are not exactly social ... hey, ARE they even really two immortals? Or is that one immortal with two bodies? (Who got little schizophrenic - I mean, multiple personalities - after the improper reset).

7 hours ago, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:

Two recently reset immortals wake up together, but otherwise alone.  They know each other, they know they need to do something involving Elliot Dunkle of Moperville, but have huge gaps in their memories after that point.  They are lost children who can only rely on each other.

That doesn't explain why they were together before. Either immortals are not as asocial as Pandora and Jerry, or there IS something deserving explanation.

Just now, hkmaly said:

Actually, perhaps how they are guarding Elliot is example of what will happen with a vow after improper reset. They are not aware they vowed, but still have the compulsion to do it ... on the other hand, the explanation they are doing it hoping they would find out what happened also makes sense.

Yeah, like we know how vows work after an Immortal resets properly with Jerry being reminded, but if an Immortal has an improper reset, the vow might not be clear. Helena and Demetrius were uncertain as to why they'd be following Elliot if it was something that happened to Tedd that caused him to zap Elliot. Then later when they remembered Nanase and Susan, they couldn't remember why they were in France to begin with but thought they might have been either following Nanase or Susan.

I actually wonder, if they did have a vow, maybe it covered the protection of Tedd and his friends and family, which would have been at the time, Elliot and Nanase and likely Sarah too, but when they were improperly reset, the only part of the vow that stood out was Elliot.

18 minutes ago, Scotty said:

I actually wonder, if they did have a vow, maybe it covered the protection of Tedd and his friends and family, which would have been at the time, Elliot and Nanase and likely Sarah too, but when they were improperly reset, the only part of the vow that stood out was Elliot.

Or the vow was about something else, possibly related to Lord Tedd, but again, the only part of the vow that "survived" the reset was Elliot. They may not even actually followed him for protection, they might have different (now forgotten) reason.

Enjoy worrying about nothing? Obviously that's a trick to get them to not worry.

EVERYBODY PANIC!

Seriously though, hey, everyone got what they wanted or got bored, now it's time for all the magic to die out in this world only to be replaced with something new, unless Pandora can stop magic knowledge spreading.

And maybe a trip to GriffinWorld at some point.

5 hours ago, RainbowWizard said:

Seriously though, hey, everyone got what they wanted or got bored, now it's time for all the magic to die out in this world only to be replaced with something new, unless Pandora can stop magic knowledge spreading.

Sarah still can't cast her spell outside Moperville, Ashley and Diane are still unmarked ... who is that "everyone" you speak about?

Also, "all magic die to be replaced" is not good description. The magic will not die. Only thing which will change will be the laws of magic, and not even all of them. I also suspect great deal of status being kept, like, possibly everyone awakened will keep being awakened, although it will mean something little different after reset.

There will always be people born with magical talent, and there will always be ways for nontalents to use magic ...

1 hour ago, hkmaly said:

Sarah still can't cast her spell outside Moperville, Ashley and Diane are still unmarked ... who is that "everyone" you speak about?

Also, "all magic die to be replaced" is not good description. The magic will not die. Only thing which will change will be the laws of magic, and not even all of them. I also suspect great deal of status being kept, like, possibly everyone awakened will keep being awakened, although it will mean something little different after reset.

There will always be people born with magical talent, and there will always be ways for nontalents to use magic ...

In the magic-rewrite Pandora described from a previous life, a large number of people who were able to do a certain sort of magic suddenly became unable. And since they were going to war with pretty much nothing but that magic as weapons, it didn't go well for them.

(Of course, we don't know all the details.)

17 minutes ago, Don Edwards said:

In the magic-rewrite Pandora described from a previous life, a large number of people who were able to do a certain sort of magic suddenly became unable. And since they were going to war with pretty much nothing but that magic as weapons, it didn't go well for them.

(Of course, we don't know all the details.)

We don't know ANY details. They might still be able to use magic - middle of battle is not good place for experimenting.

Also, I suspect they weren't really awakened (if the awakening as process actually existed back then). They might've been dreaming.

And finally, I said it as possibility. Not like the list of people able to use magic MUST be kept, but that the difference between non-awakened and awakened people being kept is more likely than giving magic to random people or everybody except Tedd losing magic completely.

(And I actually suspect people just marked are in big danger of losing magic.)

There could be a few possibilities for how the warmongering horde obtained magic, one could be that becoming a wizard was more simple than just being born with the distinction, another could be they were marked but that would mean either they all managed to psyche themselves up enough that everyone yearned the same kind of magic, or the marker was able to just give whatever spell regardless of innate talent or yearning.

I wouldn't at all be surprised if it was Pandora that caused the last system change considering she was able to recall it in that much detail, and her reaction might be indicative of "Dammit, I'm about to do it again!"

9 minutes ago, Scotty said:

There could be a few possibilities for how the warmongering horde obtained magic, one could be that becoming a wizard was more simple than just being born with the distinction, another could be they were marked but that would mean either they all managed to psyche themselves up enough that everyone yearned the same kind of magic, or the marker was able to just give whatever spell regardless of innate talent or yearning.

Yes. The rules for marking being less strict, meaning "the marker was able to just give whatever spell", seems like most likely reason to me. Or maybe it wasn't even marker as immortal - maybe the reason they had magic was that there was some place and everyone who spend night on it got this kind of magic.

(Might still be Pandora who set that place up, but maybe it was just for fun and she didn't know there will be whole horde getting magic from it.)

6 hours ago, TehEpicDuckeh said:

I literally just realized Helena and Demetrius could've been listening the whole time. Or sleeping. Huh.

Or off being distracted by vampires?

1 hour ago, Tom Sewell said:

Only if there are more vampires in Moperville who've been keeping a low profile. Sirleck probably can't just dial up 1-800-VAMPIRE to recruit more.

At the end of "so a date" Sirleck talks about sending vampires after Adrian, so either there are more vampires in Moperville that hadn't been found before Tara and Andrea left, or Sirleck isn't aware that the vampire's he called in have been killed.

Sirleck: "I will rain hell down on Moperville!"  ::after some time on the phone:: "Where are all the vampires?!?! I can't rain hell on Moperville without the vampires that I called in!"

4 hours ago, Scotty said:
6 hours ago, Tom Sewell said:

Only if there are more vampires in Moperville who've been keeping a low profile. Sirleck probably can't just dial up 1-800-VAMPIRE to recruit more.

At the end of "so a date" Sirleck talks about sending vampires after Adrian, so either there are more vampires in Moperville that hadn't been found before Tara and Andrea left, or Sirleck isn't aware that the vampire's he called in have been killed.

Sirleck: "I will rain hell down on Moperville!"  ::after some time on the phone:: "Where are all the vampires?!?! I can't rain hell on Moperville without the vampires that I called in!"

Well, I don't think he was able to recruit so powerful vampires they would be able to "rain hell" in so low numbers. Also, some might still be on way.

Still, good question: keeping low profile often involves not informing about your progress. So, IS Sirleck aware someone was killing "his" vampires?