• Announcements

• Robin

Welcome!   03/05/2016

Welcome, everyone, to the new 910CMX Community Forums. I'm still working on getting them running, so things may change.  If you're a 910 Comic creator and need your forum recreated, let me know and I'll get on it right away.  I'll do my best to make this new place as fun as the last one!
CritterKeeper

Check in here -- Welcome back!

38 minutes ago, Roborat said:

So, did we loose our old logins as well, or did I just forget what it was?

Due to the (literal) server crash right near the end of February, we lost ALL the data for the old forums - user accounts/logins, images, threads. Everything.
We're starting from a blank slate now.

Still - Welcome back.

I don't think we know yet how much of the old data might still be recovered.  I made a plea for them to please at least set up something so we could carry on, and not wait for the data recovery attempts' conclusion.  If they can get a bunch of stuff back, they'll probably either set it up as an archive or try to merge it all together, no idea which.

I am back, not that I was around much to begin with. Has anyone informed Dan of the shift? The link from egscomics.com/extras still goes to the old address, which if course is an error message now.

4 hours ago, Roborat said:

So, did we loose our old logins as well, or did I just forget what it was?

Everything got nuked. :/ You didn't forget anything.

2 hours ago, CritterKeeper said:

I don't think we know yet how much of the old data might still be recovered.  I made a plea for them to please at least set up something so we could carry on, and not wait for the data recovery attempts' conclusion.  If they can get a bunch of stuff back, they'll probably either set it up as an archive or try to merge it all together, no idea which.

I'd much prefer the archive over a merge. Have it there for reference, but let's start anew outright.

Being something of an expert on the subject of coming back from the dead, I must commend the administrators on the prompt rebuild.

Ever since that guy in Jerusalem performed the celebrated "Back from the dead on the third day" trick, it seems like EVERYBODY wants to be buried with quick rise yeast.  Why when I was in charge, we planned on keeping the bodies preserved for millennia before giving them a jump start.  Two weeks "dead" is barely a nap in my experience.

Also, it looks to me like the editing tools are fairly straightforward.  So I'm not sure I understand the earlier comments in this thread.  Unless, of course, additional changes have been made in the last three days.

I believe Robin has been responding to our feedback over the last few days (I say "our" - it's been pretty much other people giving the feedback...). There are still a few things that folks would like to see added (like BBCode), but we've been offered HTML as an alternative.

It is nice to have a fresh start, though. I think the forum is all the better for it.

(Also amusing to note that nearly all of the activity here has been us EGS folks...)

Hello again. I doubt many of you remember me since I am primarily a lurker. I should probably get myself an avatar, but have no idea what I'd want to use.

12 hours ago, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:

Also, it looks to me like the editing tools are fairly straightforward.  So I'm not sure I understand the earlier comments in this thread.  Unless, of course, additional changes have been made in the last three days.

There are some nifty additions and serious problems with how some of the stuff is handled (quotes being the biggest problem: They only show one level of nesting). I made a thread about both things here:

12 hours ago, OzLionHeart said:

(Also amusing to note that nearly all of the activity here has been us EGS folks...)

That was the majority of the traffic before the crash as well, by a fair margin. I think maaaybe the Wotch was a distant second?

12 hours ago, OzLionHeart said:

6 minutes ago, Matoyak said:

That was the majority of the traffic before the crash as well, by a fair margin. I think maaaybe the Wotch was a distant second?

Well, there's also that this thread is specifically on the EGS general discussion subforum.

1 minute ago, Qwertystop said:

Well, there's also that this thread is specifically on the EGS general discussion subforum.

Oh, did Oz mean in this thread in particular? I thought he meant in the forums as a whole.

Hey all.

Been a bit preoccupied. I am now back to see what is going on. Hope all is well here.

~tOH.

45 minutes ago, That Old Hack said:

Hey all.

Been a bit preoccupied. I am now back to see what is going on. Hope all is well here.

~tOH.

Hooray!!  Our fearless leader has returned to us!  *glomp*

On 3/7/2016 at 7:43 AM, OzLionHeart said:

There are still a few things that folks would like to see added (like BBCode), but we've been offered HTML as an alternative.

I did a little research into it.  There is a very basic parser in the HTML typing area that will handle some BB Code, but  not much.

More information can be found here:  https://community.invisionpower.com/topic/417407-ips-40-the-current-state-of-bbcode-and-its-future-is-bbcode-officially-abandoned/?do=findComment&comment=2612668

Thom

56 minutes ago, That Old Hack said:

Hey all.

~tOH.

Very strange seeing you without your pundit hat (aka moderator title). Hope you can handle being one of us until that's been remedied. ;)

Kidding aside, I can't wait till we can get all the sub forums remade for Story, NP, Sketchbook and such, before this gets too cluttered.

--- Fanning the Flames ---

In times gone by, in days long past,
Rhymes would fly, both thick and fast.

As age slows life, as fervor fails,
The page is rife, with verse-less tales.

The forum falls, the world's reset,
A quorum calls, it ends not yet.

From ash we rise, from embers soar,
A flash surprise, the hope for more.

The Wotch inspires, this group persists,
We watch the fires, as our flame exists.

B)

2 hours ago, That Old Hack said:

Hey all.

~tOH.

Welcome back, hackity Hack. :)

I'm back.

If you don't remember me, it's probably because (I'm pretty sure) this is one of several sites where I was using the screen name "Warrl". I decided this is a good time to change it.

8 minutes ago, Don Edwards said:

I'm back.

If you don't remember me, it's probably because (I'm pretty sure) this is one of several sites where I was using the screen name "Warrl". I decided this is a good time to change it.

Maybe you knew already, but you can change your screen name if you go to Account Settings (in you name in the web head) up to three times a month, so no one's stuck with any screen name here. I don't know if this was possible in the old forums, though, but the more you know...