• Announcements

• Robin

Welcome!   03/05/2016

Welcome, everyone, to the new 910CMX Community Forums. I'm still working on getting them running, so things may change.  If you're a 910 Comic creator and need your forum recreated, let me know and I'll get on it right away.  I'll do my best to make this new place as fun as the last one!
HarJIT

Last Post Wins

/me enters the Konami Code

/me explodes

*le respawn*

...lemme guess.

/me enters slightly incorrect Konami Code, using L and R instead of left and right. don't ask where I got the L and R

/me gets a speed boost, missiles with all firing upgrades, fully-upgraded lasers, four options, and a personal forcefield

Sweet.

*PlotHole opens and both Regent and Celia plop out, apparently unaffected by the noclip since they just came from a parallel dimension*

Regent: I don't usually advocate for things like this but would anyone mind putting up a trigger warning next time you mention the game?

Celia: *milking the giant cow* BEEEEETRAAAAAAAAAYAL! (warning: strong language)

R: *unplugs ears* You done?

C: *perky and happy* Better. :)

R: So, what's going on here...

*both watch as all local parties are seen clipping through objects*

C&R: noclip is on...

C: That remnant person seems to be trying to turn everything back to normal again.

R: I'll help.

*turns NOCLIP back off, adds another line to make sure that nobody is stuck between walls or anything after the clipping*

C: Is everyone alright?

*Regent continues to fiddle with the console*

C: Rex, cease and desist! Who knows what other things may happen if -

*inputs

coc MiddleOfNowhereKansasCircaLateOctober2016

and everyone is plopped back through space-time toward this location*

*spots a windmill and quant house in the distance*

Huh.

*hears a spooky voice saying "return the slab"*

BOOMING GOD-LIKE VOICE: "LET THERE BE TULIPS!"

/* millions of tulips sprout around the scene */

(Note: the BOOMING GOD-LIKE VOICE is a carryover from the Keenspot days. No one knows who it is or where it comes from, but it has a tendency to muck with reality at times.)

*shouts out, mimicking the BOOMING GOD-LIKE VOICE*
ALSO, PEACHES.

(Somehow it works, but not with the intended result. Hundreds of Princess Peaches spontaneously appear amidst the tulips)

*both are shaken by the sudden God-Like voice from nowhere*

C&R: To arms! To arms!

*millions of tulips just plop into existence*

C: Well this could have been worse... Personally I'm rather fond of the greenery.

R: Are you kidding? This is going to be a massive headache for conservationists and it's going to make the Tulip an invasive species!

*Princess Peaches appear*

C: *gives Regent the look of utter confusion*

R: *give the look of someone that does not understand what is going on either*

*inhales deeply*
(In as loud a voice as possible) Princesses! ASSEMBLE! The field has been set for this, your final battle! The victor here shall rule Mushroom Kingdom! There can be only one.

*leaps to the top of the mushroom*

*produces a microphone from... somewhere... and begins commentating on the Princess Battle below*

Yes, sports fans, we've got a real Battle Royal on the field today.

*watches as Hundreds of Princess Peaches fight against each other in a rather interesting spectacle, Celia sits down on a rock while Regent stands beside her*

R: Going to sit this one out, Princess? (Context: Celia, or more specifically Ang Kadakilaang Bb. Celia Fronmir-Myron is of Royal descent.)

C: I see no reason to get involved. Though I am sort of itching for a fight...

R: Well lets see if you could get involved...

*Shouts towards the commentator on the mushroom he can barely see*

R: Hey! Guy who seems to be organizing this event! My friend over here is a Magical Princess from Another Dimension, can she join in the fight?

*Regent gives Celia the all-clear*

C: I am undecided. Perhaps if-

*A Princess Peach thwacks her good on the arm with a baseball bat*

C: Hoy! Ang sakit nun! Hindi kita ginagalaw tapos biglang paluin mo ako? Hala, sige! Laban!

*Celia unsheathes her sword and conjures her Frost Magic and joins the fray*

R: You got this handled?

C: Oo! O B O S E N. 

[note: if anyone wants to fight Celia feel free to take control of the attacking Princess Peach]

[Regent and Celia are a bit further away from the mushroom; the effects of which are only slightly observable to either of them]

Regent: ...I think we're missing something here...

*thinks for a moment; comes to a realization*

Regent: Right... where's that win?

*realizes that the win is the rock that he was sitting on the entire time*

Regent: Oh... well that explains why it was kinda red-ish...

*Random Princess Peach starts to pick away at the win with a pickaxe*

Regent: NONONO WAIT DON'T DO THAT; THE LAST TIME WE TRIED WE-

*The win explodes in a giant flash of light*

(Does anyone have a D&D book with some random effects tables? get a few die and roll me a result if you can)

1 hour ago, CritterKeeper said:

I might have some GURPS tables here someplace....

You wouldn't want to use the Heavy Gear damage tables my group used.

Though it was both amusing and frustrating whenever we fought remotely controlled or AI controlled units and got damage rolls to crew compartments, drones had no crews and need auxiliary hits to disable them. There was also a chance for cascading damage which allow for another damage roll and heavy damage rolls gave two damage results. So imagine fighting several particularly well armed and maneuverable drones, also remotely controlled drones get bonuses from the controllers so can be particularly nasty, we managed to get a heavy damage hit on one, then proceed to roll:

Roll1:
>Cascade! Roll again!
>Crew Compartment :10% casualties (1 crew minimum)

Roll2:
>Cascade! Roll again!
>Crew Compartment: 10% casualties (1 crew minumum)

Roll3:

>Crew compartment: 10% Casualties (1 crew minumum)
>Structural Failure: Crew compartment destroyed, all crew lost.

If it were Star Trek, that would have caused a feedback look back at the enemy base that would have killed everyone and won us the battle.....

Anyway...uh...you may all return to whatever you were doing, I'll just continue sitting here watching.

(Please do use the GURPs tables, roll for 10 effects and pick 3 of your favorites)

Regent: Also for the record the last time someone directly hit a win with a pickaxe I found myself inside someone else's nervous system wearing a woman's blouse in the middle of the Siberian rainforest (yes I said "rainforest, hitting the win is weird).

On November 3, 2016 at 5:44 PM, Scotty said:

Though it was both amusing and frustrating whenever we fought remotely controlled or AI controlled units and got damage rolls to crew compartments, drones had no crews and need auxiliary hits to disable them.

Wait, are you saying you played it such that drones were harder to take out than manned equivalents?  But a drone only functions correctly if the remote pilot can see what the drone is doing, communicate with the drone in general, and tell the drone what to do -- it relies on cameras, remote controls, and a communications unit.  Take out any one of the three, and the drone ceases to function properly.  That gives you three vital targets, versus the crew cabin's one central target, which is presumably in the most protected location possible.

1 hour ago, CritterKeeper said:

Wait, are you saying you played it such that drones were harder to take out than manned equivalents?  But a drone only functions correctly if the remote pilot can see what the drone is doing, communicate with the drone in general, and tell the drone what to do -- it relies on cameras, remote controls, and a communications unit.  Take out any one of the three, and the drone ceases to function properly.  That gives you three vital targets, versus the crew cabin's one central target, which is presumably in the most protected location possible.

No, sorry if that was confusing. Drones in the Heavy Gear game could be controlled 2 ways, either let them go on their own AI which would be considered a level 2 pilot and gunner with whatever bonuses/penalties applied by it's movement system, weapon accuracy or whatever special auxiliary components it has. Or you have someone controlling it remotely which would then take the piloting and gunnery skills of the person controlling it, which in the setting we played, drone controllers were genetically bred superhumans that had been specifically trained for drone control and so would likely have level 5 skill in piloting and gunnery for drones, plus would have their own bonuses to add to or offset the drone's bonuses or penalties.

Basically how it worked was the higher the level in a skill, the more 1d6s you rolled, and since the result is based on the highest singular dice plus or minus bonuses/penalties, you would want to have a high skill to have a better chance of rolling a 6. Also rolling multiple 6's has it's own benefit in that each 6 after the first one adds 1 more to the result. So someone with a skill of 5 that applies a bonus of 2 to the skill, then rolls 4 6's and a 3, would get 6+2+3 for a result of 11, if the drone was running on AI alone, it would have at best rolled double 6's for 6+2+1=9. The difference between a 9 and an 11 makes a big difference when dodging and firing as weapon damage is a multplier of the difference between a successful shot and failed dodge. So say I rolled a 10 on my gunnery skill with a weapon that does x20 damage, that 9 would have resulted in the drone taking 20 damage and most drones that was enough for a light damage roll. The 11 from a drone controller would have saved that drone's arse.

3 hours ago, Arcanimus said:

That seems... difficult.

It could be, thankfully there were a number to tricks we could do when dealing with groups like that. Weapons with Rate of Fire 2 and higher can be used to "Walk Fire" across multiple targets in range, there's also stacking attacker penalties which the more of us that attack the same targets, the targets will get penalties to their dodge rolls. Also we usually had our best gunners with the x20 damage weapons hang back and stationary to get an attack bonus while the rest of use walk fire multiple targets with x7 damage weapons. Another thing, when rolling intiative, the commander can also roll leadership against the enemy commander, and gets command points based on the margin of success on the roll (eg, our commander rolls an 8, enemy commander rolls a 6, we get 2 command points) those command points can be used have a unit attack a second time during the attack phase. So usually if we know a high threat target is close to going down, or if there's a straggler still on field and we don't want it getting away, we'll use the point to get the kill. It made for some fun moments too.

I go away for months and it descends into anarchy... Just got no sticking power. :/

Should get that looked at...

Regent: Wait what the actual what?! Lyre's back?! YES! YEEEES!

Celia: Who's that?

Regent: Old friend of mine from way back when; back again! YAAAAY!

*PlotHole plops open*

The Old Guard: Hey Lyre! I'm a retired character now, your boy's Regent's taken over for me, go talk to him if you like. Welcome back!