• Announcements

• Robin

Welcome!   03/05/2016

Welcome, everyone, to the new 910CMX Community Forums. I'm still working on getting them running, so things may change.  If you're a 910 Comic creator and need your forum recreated, let me know and I'll get on it right away.  I'll do my best to make this new place as fun as the last one!
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
The Old Hack

Things you have no idea how to feel about

426 posts in this topic

Okay. It is no secret that I am a huge WWII buff, or at least it probably won't shock anyone here to learn it. I love a great many topics related to the war but one of my absolute favourites since childhood is fighter planes. I had a huge collection of model airplanes I'd assembled myself which took up almost half the space of one room.

I just got hold of a DVD with a TV program about WWII German fighter jets, something which normally fascinates me endlessly. I sat down ready for an hour of happy geeking out. Then the narrator began. And droned on and on and on. I have never before heard anyone on TV with such a terribly boring voice. After a while I actually fell ASLEEP. The last I remembered was something about having trouble getting the High Command to allocate resources enough to developing their jets and then I woke up to something about how fuel shortages made it nearly impossible for the German jets to take to the air in the spring of '45.

That narrator was so boring that he made me sleep through almost a whole program about one of the topics most fascinating to me throughout my life. HOW IS THAT EVEN POSSIBLE.

Pharaoh RutinTutin likes this

Was it even graphic? No matter, it must be the voice. I blame vocal chords.

Probably should have brought a fellow war junkie, for good measure.

Been in Disneyland for three days so far and I've let it go maybe 20 times....

But darn it, it still gets me every time

I'm not crying, it's just been raining on my eyes! 

My son and my wife are going out to purchase a new power supply for her dead-ish computer tomorrow. At a place that's probably not Fry's.

This does not inspire confidence.

The Win95NetBugs FAQ is apparently no longer available anywhere on the internet (except maybe in translation to some language I can't read). All I could find was a copy of the table of contents.

It is, of course, pretty much useless nowadays. Approximately nobody is still using Win95, and a large fraction of the FAQ was about problems connecting Win95 to Netware which hasn't had a new edition since 2009 and support terminated last year. (I don't recall why I decided to look for it - I certainly don't have a need for it.)

But... it's a bit of internet history that I made some small contribution to. (In fact the final version of the FAQ listed me TWICE in the "Acknowledgements" section, as I was on the mailing list with two identities.) Actually my contribution was almost entirely in the form of consolidating the combined knowledge of the mailing list and distilling out the parts relevant to some particular problem a particular person was having, and stating it in such a way that people who hadn't already been running computer networks for a couple years could follow it - so I contributed more to the mailing list than to the FAQ itself. I don't recall adding any new information. Maybe the guy writing the FAQ copied some of my wording.

Yeah, hardly anybody runs Windows versions older than XP these  days except emulation for compatibility with software that won't run on either DOSBOX or 64-bit Windows.

On 3/31/2016 at 9:35 PM, ProfessorTomoe said:

My son and my wife are going out to purchase a new power supply for her dead-ish computer tomorrow. At a place that's probably not Fry's.

This does not inspire confidence.

Problem solved. My son went to Fry's and bought a Cooler Master PSU. Changed dead-ish to very much alive.

Ok I didn't think much of it when it was just the chickens this morning but birds are being drawn to me today. Conrad the peacock which prowls the neighborhood was following me around like I was in charge or something.

On 21 May 2016 at 8:13 PM, PSadlon said:

Ok I didn't think much of it when it was just the chickens this morning but birds are being drawn to me today. Conrad the peacock which prowls the neighborhood was following me around like I was in charge or something.

Be careful. Fowl play may be involved.

Lyre likes this

Is it just me or have signatures starting acting weirder than normal?

7 minutes ago, mlooney said:

Never mind, they just moved where they live.  Meh.   General Atomics MQ-9 Reaper drone recalled to base.

3 minutes ago, mlooney said:

Never mind, they just moved where they live.  Meh.   General Atomics MQ-9 Reaper drone recalled to base.

Not sure if it's a bug or a feature, but quote seems to only be only level deep.

12 minutes ago, mlooney said:

5 minutes ago, mlooney said:

Just now, mlooney said:

Not sure if it's a bug or a feature, but quote seems to only be only level deep.

Ah.  To do multi level quotes you have to use multi quote.  Feature not bug.   And so for SeaMonkey's spell check and this editor seem to be working.   Let's hope that keeps up.

26 minutes ago, mlooney said:

Ah.  To do multi level quotes you have to use multi quote.  Feature not bug.   And so for SeaMonkey's spell check and this editor seem to be working.   Let's hope that keeps up.

You can also highlight everything you want to quote (including quotes) and clicking the "quote this" option that appears (usually next to the mouse pointer right after highlighting) to quote it.

8 hours ago, Scotty said:

You can also highlight everything you want to quote (including quotes) and clicking the "quote this" option that appears (usually next to the mouse pointer right after highlighting) to quote it.

Assuming you have a mouse -- haven't found a way to do it on a tablet.  Tablet also can't seem to drag one quote into another to nest them, either.

5 hours ago, CritterKeeper said:

Assuming you have a mouse -- haven't found a way to do it on a tablet.  Tablet also can't seem to drag one quote into another to nest them, either.

Is touch-dragging to highlight text not a thing on tablets? I would think that would be an important feature to have.

We've lost a feral cat—put out of his misery.

Mrs. Prof noted that a male member of our T-N-R colony—appropriately named Spitfire, one she trapped a couple of months ago—became aggressive starting about 4-5 days ago. He'd stand guard over the other ferals' food and wouldn't let them get near it. Sort of a dog-in-the-straw kind of situation.

She decided to re-trap Spitfire today and take him to the vet. Mrs. Prof set up several feral traps, including a drop trap (her "Wile E. Coyote" box, she calls it). The drop trap finally did the trick, The cat went to the vet and underwent tests.

About an hour ago, we got a call from the vet. She found a urinary tract blockage and infection. They drained over a cup of urine after sedating Spitfire (an adventure in itself) and palpated a large stone. She said the cat would probably have been dead 12 hours later without treatment.

The vet explained that she could operate, after which he would have to stay in the hospital for 7 days. He'd then have to eat a special diet for the rest of his life—something nearly impossible to enforce for a feral cat.

Mrs. Prof told the vet to let Spitfire go.

Normally, we'd be extremely sad over this (we certainly don't feel good about it), but we feel that Spitfire is better off now. He was never a regular colony member, and when he did start coming close, that's when he turned aggressive. He was extremely sick and was about to die a miserable and painful death. At least we spared him from that.

Ouch. In proportion to body mass, a cup of urine is like 2 liters would be to a human. I'm amazed that his bladder didn't rupture.

4 hours ago, ijuin said:

Ouch. In proportion to body mass, a cup of urine is like 2 liters would be to a human. I'm amazed that his bladder didn't rupture.

She said it was about to rupture.

I've just found out, that after my move I don't have any metal butter knives.

That makes opening a jar some what harder than it should be. (I use a butter knife to break the vacuum seal)

I don't think I have ever owned a butter knife.
This leaves me with a vague worry,
And I am certain the worry will be worse if I can ever confirm that
a.  Most people have at some point owned a butter knife.
or
b.  Most people have never owned a butter knife.

1 hour ago, ijuin said:

Meh, any non-sharp dinner knife can work as a substitute.

That would be what we here in my part of the woods call a butter knife

I don't have any thing but steak knives, which are sharp.

Ah, my family has a bunch of blunt-but-serrated dinner knives. Something about being afraid to let children handle the sharp kind back when my brother and I were young.