• Announcements

• Robin

Welcome!   03/05/2016

Welcome, everyone, to the new 910CMX Community Forums. I'm still working on getting them running, so things may change.  If you're a 910 Comic creator and need your forum recreated, let me know and I'll get on it right away.  I'll do my best to make this new place as fun as the last one!
Sign in to follow this  
The Old Hack

Things you have no idea how to feel about

So I just played Cards Against Humanity for the first time. And won. The least dirty person in the group won Cards Against Humanity. I'm not sure if I should be proud of that or not. 

Just saying that the 1.5k horsepower engine is what they would have used to shunt the Maus around, and is probably more engine power than what most Spitfires and Mustangs had with their Merlin engines.

@Zo; I that entirely depends on context. That means your friends are completely honest with what they, or aren't honest enough.

As for me? Eh same old; writing things and being stuck in a rut on where to go next with what I should write. I'm glad because I've gotten the ball rolling, but like a captain without a map I don't know where in heck I'm going with it now.

16 minutes ago, Red Regent said:

@Zo; I that entirely depends on context. That means your friends are completely honest with what they, or aren't honest enough.

Oh no, they threw down the dirt. Big time. It's that I know enough to keep up with them is what I'm not sure how I feel about. (and possibly the fact that my thirteen-year-old brother has a dirtier mind than me, but then I already knew that).

On 2/1/2017 at 0:07 PM, mlooney said:

The Tulsa metro area tests storm sirens at noon on Wednesday.  They just went off. 

Two weeks in a row!  Staying awake on Wednesday might be the next big thing.

I have a low water usage toilet with what seems to be a small pipe going from it to the main line.  This means I have to watch each and every flush.  I've gotten very good at knowing when I'm going to need to plunger it before I flush again. 

TMI alert

I often know as I am passing the stool if this is the case.  Pretty much if it hurts, it's going to be big and hard enough to be a problem

I woke up this morning due to aircraft noise.  With a migraine.  Migraine under control, no big there, but after the 3rd over flight (each sounding a little different) by a rotary engine aircraft I went outside to see what they were.

I got out side just in time to see a pair of P47 going to land at Jones airport.  Jones airport is where the Commemorative Air Force flies out of when it's in Tulsa, which is way cool.

Why this is posted here is being woken up with a migraine is less than optimal, even what woke you up is a cool thing.  It balances out.

26 minutes ago, mlooney said:

I got out side just in time to see a pair of P47 going to land at Jones airport.  Jones airport is where the Commemorative Air Force flies out of when it's in Tulsa, which is way cool.

That is BLOODY AWESOME. o.O I wish I could have seen that. I am sorry about the migraine, mind.

Some of my favourite sci fis and fan fics involve these classical planes for some reason having to go into battle again, and kicking arse and taking names. The P47 is an old, old friend of mine; I had two models of it as a ten-year-old kid. (To my mother's vast amusement, I managed to cover a rather large table entirely with 1:72 scale models of WW2 airplanes. She was quite tolerant of this obsession of mine and even bought me a model or two on occasion.)

10 minutes ago, The Old Hack said:

That is BLOODY AWESOME. o.O I wish I could have seen that.

I actually think the CAF is just staging though there to a show some where else.  Nothing in local news about a display this week.  We do have "squadron" here, which is based at Jones, so that makes sense.  If I ever have the $150 to spare I might try their buy a flight thing.

I'm not exactly sure where this story would fall under, this thread, amusing, worried, or WTF, maybe I should create an "I AM NOT CRAZY!" thread.

So, my mom had been complaining for a while that the swivel arm lamp that she has next to her when she's doing knitting or cross stitching was flickering at the slightest bumps and that the switch felt really loose, the lamp is like 25 years old so the bulb socket and switch was likely getting worn out. Anyway, my cousin, who happens to be an electrician, just stopped by with a replacement socket unit and started working on it while mom and dad watched. I happened to walk in and jokingly ask if they remembered to unplug the lamp before letting him take it apart, they all look at me funny and my mom says "he's an electrician, I doubt he'd be working on it without unplugging it first." I chuckle, and then my cousin suddenly jumps back and is confused as to why there'd still be a charge if it was unplugged. Well it turned out that when dad was bringing the lamp around for my cousin to work on it he unplugged the wrong cord, so the lamp was still plugged in.

Tell me the timing on my question, even though it was intended as a joke, didn't make me seem more prophetic right then.

Reminds me of a computer trouble-shooting checklist I saw once....

1. Check that it's plugged in.

2. No, really, go make sure it's plugged in.

3. Get out of your chair, get on your hands and knees, and actually look at the outlet behind the desk.

4. Now follow the cord and make sure the plug you're looking at goes to the computer and not the lamp or the stereo.

5. Yes, all the way from one end to the other.

and so forth....

1 hour ago, ijuin said:

What do you mean, you're not crazy? You come here willingly, don't you?

There's varying degrees of crazy, of course. ;)

There's no thread for "nervous", so...

That nervous feeling you get when you join a new forum and post for the first time.

I just joined Spacebattles because I wanted to contribute to the Infinite Loops. I posted a thing. I don't know if they'll like it.

Could help me get back into writing. Still nervous, though.

5 hours ago, Zorua said:

That nervous feeling you get when you join a new forum and post for the first time.

I just joined Spacebattles because I wanted to contribute to the Infinite Loops. I posted a thing. I don't know if they'll like it.

I so know the feeling. It is usually far better at predicting bad results than the bad results are about actually appearing, fortunately.

I am awake now, right at dawn.  Been that way for two three hours.  Trying to decide if I want to stay that way or go back to sleep and get up around 11:00 AM.  Need to decide fairly soon because I need to drink something.  So, it's down to with caffeine right now or not?

On 2/18/2017 at 0:06 PM, Zorua said:

Good luck. Just don't mention the Conversion Bureau, and if someone else mentions it, don't get involved.

Literally woke up by falling out of bed because of an Earthquake or aftershock or whatever you wanna call it. This is the 5th really strong one in the last two weeks, that and with loads of Oarfish washing up on the coastlines dead of exhaustion unable to return to their regular depths people are getting really worried that the fabled big one is coming.

2 hours ago, Red Regent said:

Literally woke up by falling out of bed because of an Earthquake or aftershock or whatever you wanna call it. This is the 5th really strong one in the last two weeks, that and with loads of Oarfish washing up on the coastlines dead of exhaustion unable to return to their regular depths people are getting really worried that the fabled big one is coming.

Not good. Please be careful and keep us posted. :(

11 minutes ago, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:

Bigger than Pinatubo in 1991?  This is very bad.

Uh your Pharaohness Pinatubo was a volcano and while volcanoes and earthquakes are close cousins there aren't any active volcanoes going off at this time. (That I know of.)

But as for predictions, nothing official yet. I should note however there was a very strong Earthquake recently that devastated an area due north of my city, so these could be just aftershocks.

Once again, my sleep schedule has gone to a tropical island for a while.  I'm trying to decide if I'm going to sleep this morning or drink a couple of mugs of tea and/or coffee1 and stay up.

History tells me that if I do the second one, I'll just end up losing the next day, but meh.

1Not at the same time.

I've been using mlooney as my Internet handle/name from before there was an Internet1.  I just did an "ego search" on Google, and of the first 100 returns, exactly 3 were me.  This bothers me more than it should.  I suspect that even though Google has the Usenet archives, the don't search that unless you are in Google Groups.

1I was on ARPANET in the late 70's