• Announcements

• Robin

Welcome!   03/05/2016

Welcome, everyone, to the new 910CMX Community Forums. I'm still working on getting them running, so things may change.  If you're a 910 Comic creator and need your forum recreated, let me know and I'll get on it right away.  I'll do my best to make this new place as fun as the last one!
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
The Old Hack

Things you have no idea how to feel about

481 posts in this topic

Just now, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:

The toxic chemicals in Poison Ivy survive burning and are carried by smoke.  The irritating reaction in the lungs is worse than on the skin.

Now you want to turn that misery making mist into radioactive fallout and spread it around the world?

Look, if it kills you, you don't feel miserable as long.

I had a lot of poison ivy when I moved to my new house, so I got some experience with that.

Roundup is effective on poison ivy, but if you want other things to grow in that area, don't spray - instead, dip the poison ivy leaves in the concentrated liquid and smear the liquid on its hairy bark. If it's one local bush, this is surprisingly effective and will be easier than spraying enough.

You can handle them easily with garden gloves over thick rubber kitchen gloves (which never come apart from each other ever again and are set aside in a special place).

Bag the remains and put them in the trash - don't put them in yard waste.

If there is a dead zone, you can put herbal plants like grass in the area, but woody plants will have a hard time.

My son got into some poison ivy when he was in junior high. Boy, did he ever have a reaction—an extremely nasty one. Had to take him to the doctor for it. He couldn't wear anything but shorts for weeks while it healed.

Just now, ProfessorTomoe said:

My son got into some poison ivy when he was in junior high. Boy, did he ever have a reaction—an extremely nasty one. Had to take him to the doctor for it. He couldn't wear anything but shorts for weeks while it healed.

I'm pretty sure I've said this before, but I seem to be immune to the stuff, about 10 or so years ago me and my boss at the hotel I work at were cleaning up the flowerbeds on the property, also cutting back a lot of brush along the perimeter (the hotel as a woodlot and river at the back of the property). That spring had been particularly warm and wet so the plantlife had sprung up pretty quick and thick. So there we were, pulling weeds and trimming bushes and trees, didn't even realize that there was poison ivy among it all until a few days later when my Boss came out with large rashes on her legs and arms. I was right beside her the whole time handling the same stuff and all I got were mosquito bites.

For the first time in many years, I have an internet connected device that has a functional GPS. Remind me not to take it with me if and when I go on a crime spree.

The Old Hack and CritterKeeper like this

8 hours ago, mlooney said:

For the first time in many years, I have an internet connected device that has a functional GPS. Remind me not to take it with me if and when I go on a crime spree.

I figured that with the laziness this would create in both many criminals and law enforcers, the way to go would be to compulsively carry it everywhere and then on That Fatal Day where you Commit The Perfect Crime leave it at home parked in front of the TV. By then it would all but serve as a frigging alibi.

28 minutes ago, The Old Hack said:

I figured that with the laziness this would create in both many criminals and law enforcers, the way to go would be to compulsively carry it everywhere and then on That Fatal Day where you Commit The Perfect Crime leave it at home parked in front of the TV. By then it would all but serve as a frigging alibi.

I remember seeing a documentary about a case in which a college kid was convicted of murdering an ex girlfriend because he left his cellphone in his car, which he lent to a buddy who was the actually killer (and the girl's boyfriend at the time), the buddy made several calls to and from the phone at various places, then when police went to ask him question, told them that he was called to help move and bury the body. The police had the cell phone records check and saw the calls fit the timeline and arrested the college kid.

So while connected devices could be used to create an alibi, they could also be used to frame someone, so never leave them unattended.

8 hours ago, Scotty said:

I remember seeing a documentary about a case in which a college kid was convicted of murdering an ex girlfriend because he left his cellphone in his car, which he lent to a buddy who was the actually killer (and the girl's boyfriend at the time), the buddy made several calls to and from the phone at various places, then when police went to ask him question, told them that he was called to help move and bury the body. The police had the cell phone records check and saw the calls fit the timeline and arrested the college kid.

So while connected devices could be used to create an alibi, they could also be used to frame someone, so never leave them unattended.

Especially never leave them unlocked. At least the only frame call anyone can make from my phone is for 911 or 112 (European 911 services.)

HarJIT likes this

The US Army and the Russian Army are patrolling the Turkish border with Syria so the Turks don't attack the SDF that the US is backing.  Turkey is a NATO member mind you Granted the US and the Russians aren't patrolling together, but what happens if a NATO member fires on a NATO member?  Section 9 doesn't really cover that, other than a separate bit about Greece and Turkey.  This might get ugly.  Or uglier than it is. 

The middle east is [redacted] messed up. 

2 hours ago, mlooney said:

The US Army and the Russian Army are patrolling the Turkish border with Syria so the Turks don't attack the SDF that the US is backing.  Turkey is a NATO member mind you Granted the US and the Russians aren't patrolling together, but what happens if a NATO member fires on a NATO member?  Section 9 doesn't really cover that, other than a separate bit about Greece and Turkey.  This might get ugly.  Or uglier than it is. 

The middle east is [redacted] messed up. 

The Moderator: This is getting a little close to political discussion. There is nothing wrong with the above but I would just request of people to resist the temptation to comment on current politics. I am not currently in the best shape for moderating that. My apologies.

2 hours ago, The Old Hack said:

The Moderator: This is getting a little close to political discussion. There is nothing wrong with the above but I would just request of people to resist the temptation to comment on current politics. I am not currently in the best shape for moderating that. My apologies.

Subject now in Free Fall at 9.8 m/s/s

My apologies that I kinda went missing for a while guys; I keep forgetting this site exists. :S

As to why I've been missing, I've been fairly busy lately. Also while I haven't gotten a job yet (I still have to pass requirements and I've been put on hold until at least August), I've started working on my novel!

My New Zealand secure file backup/cloud storage site has been turned off on the iMac for I don't know how long.  In finding out why I did a full uninstall-reinstall cycle.  Now waiting on 121 gigs to download their digital butts to the iMac.

I am not entirely gruntled by this.

2 hours ago, mlooney said:

My New Zealand secure file backup/cloud storage site has been turned off on the iMac for I don't know how long.  In finding out why I did a full uninstall-reinstall cycle.  Now waiting on 121 gigs to download their digital butts to the iMac.

I am not entirely gruntled by this.

On a kind of related topic. This year's winner of the Preakness horse race is named "Cloud Computing".  o.O

mlooney likes this

3 hours ago, Scotty said:

On a kind of related topic. This year's winner of the Preakness horse race is named "Cloud Computing".  o.O

Bummer. "Lookin at Lee" came in fourth this time around. No dough.

13 hours ago, Scotty said:

Does that mean it's children can be called Skywalker?

EDIT: Actually now that I think about it Computing must be cousins with Cloud Strife, Cumulus the Nimble, and Featherfoot or something.

2 hours ago, Red Regent said:

Does that mean it's children can be called Skywalker?

EDIT: Actually now that I think about it Computing must be cousins with Cloud Strife, Cumulus the Nimble, and Featherfoot or something.

Cumulus the Nimble? Are you sure you don't mean Cumulonimbus?

2 minutes ago, The Old Hack said:

Cumulus the Nimble? Are you sure you don't mean Cumulonimbus?

Nope I actually mean Cumulus the Nimble, though they are related last I checked. Cumulus the Nimble has a habit of appearing somewhere, doing something ridiculous, then leaving before you even know he's there. Actually sad story; Cumulonimbus is his brother and they also tried to enter him in the races, however he fell in love with a mare who sadly passed away due to complications with a cold-blood stallion she knew and a trench. He hasn't gotten over it at all, and still weeps his life away even now. ._.

I really hate double-posting but I couldn't find any better place to post this. And no, I don't think the politics thread is appropriate since personally speaking I don't think this involves politics in the traditional sense.

Remember the Maute group? Those guys who attacked my city of residence last August? Yeah they're at it again, only this time they've decided to occupy a city called Marawi and are currently holding it under lockdown. Government forces are up and around the area, and Martial law has been declared. Currently the entire island is under Martial Law, curfews and other restrictions are in place, and everyone's gonna try to keep their heads down for 2 months as this unfolds.

Just came by to say that I'm safe and hopefully this situation will blow over soon enough.

58 minutes ago, Red Regent said:

Remember the Maute group? Those guys who attacked my city of residence last August? Yeah they're at it again, only this time they've decided to occupy a city called Marawi and are currently holding it under lockdown

That sounds less than good.  In fact sounds like it really sucks.

36 minutes ago, mlooney said:

That sounds less than good.  In fact sounds like it really sucks.

Seriously seconded.

Is there an end game or obtainable goal for these gangs?

Or are they just making a lot of noise until government has no more patience and turns these thugs into martyrs?

3 minutes ago, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:

Is there an end game or obtainable goal for these gangs?

Or are they just making a lot of noise until government has no more patience and turns these thugs into martyrs?

In theory they want Sharia law and/or an Islamic caliphate so, no, just making thugs into martyrs.

The organization they grew out of probably tripped some net-ware filters.  " Moro Islamic Liberation Front" often written as MILF.   

This is not the video you were looking for.

I have finally come to the conclusion that not all my computers need to be capable of editing image files, editing documents, and being used as a development machine.