• Announcements

• Robin

Welcome!   03/05/2016

Welcome, everyone, to the new 910CMX Community Forums. I'm still working on getting them running, so things may change.  If you're a 910 Comic creator and need your forum recreated, let me know and I'll get on it right away.  I'll do my best to make this new place as fun as the last one!
Sign in to follow this  
The Old Hack

Things you have no idea how to feel about

1 hour ago, ijuin said:

Ah, my family has a bunch of blunt-but-serrated dinner knives. Something about being afraid to let children handle the sharp kind back when my brother and I were young. 

Yeah those.  I don't have any. Metal ones any way.  Plastic one break when you try that.  Next trip to Mart of Wal I'm going to get 4 or 6.

Easier way to open a stuck bottle lid:

1. Grasp the bottle tightly with your non-dominant hand.
  2. With your dominant hand, quickly slap the top of the lid with the flat of your palm.
  3. Open the bottle.

Why? The slap knocks the lid down and away from the glass/plastic screwlines on the bottle, breaking the seal and allowing the bottle to open.

Warnings: don't slap with your fingers. You'll just hurt your fingers. Don't hit hard enough to break the bottle—just hit hard enough to get a good SLAP from the lid.

3 hours ago, ProfessorTomoe said:

Easier way to open a stuck bottle lid:

1. Grasp the bottle tightly with your non-dominant hand.
  2. With your dominant hand, quickly slap the top of the lid with the flat of your palm.
  3. Open the bottle.

Why? The slap knocks the lid down and away from the glass/plastic screwlines on the bottle, breaking the seal and allowing the bottle to open.

Warnings: don't slap with your fingers. You'll just hurt your fingers. Don't hit hard enough to break the bottle—just hit hard enough to get a good SLAP from the lid.

No.  Use flat piece of metal to break the seal. A "butter" knife is ideal, but a metal tea spoon will also work.  No chance of hitting too hard or missing.

But what ever works for you.

Turn the jar upside-down and thump it on the counter a couple of times.  Similar to the Professor's technique but the counter takes the impact instead of your hand. :-)

Another strategy is to run the top of the jar under warm water.  Works best with metal lids and glass jars, since the metal will expand slightly with the heat while the glass stays the same size, so this one may be dying out as everything is switched over to plastic.

I have been having dreams about driving, which isn't so bad other than the fact that I am driving from the back seat.  And know this is weird and comment, in dream, about why and how I am doing it.  I normally have a logical reason, by dream logic levels of logically, of why, but never as to how.  These are normal cars, not some special weird thing.

1 hour ago, mlooney said:

I have been having dreams about driving, which isn't so bad other than the fact that I am driving from the back seat.  And know this is weird and comment, in dream, about why and how I am doing it.  I normally have a logical reason, by dream logic levels of logically, of why, but never as to how.  These are normal cars, not some special weird thing.

Only thing I can think of for that is if you've heard the term "back seat driving" used recently and somehow your subconscious is taking it quite literally with your dreams?

Opening a link in this forum with Firefox on Android with a "private tab" doesn't log you in to the forum.  I am aware that is duh statement but I wasn't paying attention and opened all the new messages links that way and was surprised to get security 501 errors.

On 6/18/2016 at 1:30 PM, mlooney said:

I've just found out, that after my move I don't have any metal butter knives.

That makes opening a jar some what harder than it should be. (I use a butter knife to break the vacuum seal)

As of this time yesterday I have 8.

I live in a 400 square foot apartment. Why does it need two fire detectors?

Besides the one in the bathroom there is one in the living area that is line powered.

Is one of them a carbon monoxide detector? Alternatively, it may be a redundancy or radius of efficacy problem. My apartment is probably 800 square feet, I have five smoke detectors and a carbon monoxide detector.

15 minutes ago, banneret said:

Is one of them a carbon monoxide detector? Alternatively, it may be a redundancy or radius of efficacy problem. My apartment is probably 800 square feet, I have five smoke detectors and a carbon monoxide detector.

Based on where the one in the living area is it better not be a CO detector, given that CO is heavier than air so a detector that high would be close to useless, especially given the height of my "bed".  I have just a mattress on the floor to avoid falling off while having a drug side effect dizzy spell.  While I am down to just a couple a week, I a bit leery of them.

CO has a molecular weight of 28, the same as molecular nitrogen, and lighter than molecular oxygen's 32, so CO is actually slightly lighter than air.

And if you think 400 square feet is cramped, well my entire apartment in college was ten by fifteen feet plus the bathroom.

On July 4, 2016 at 3:04 PM, ijuin said:

And if you think 400 square feet is cramped, well my entire apartment in college was ten by fifteen feet plus the bathroom.

Sounds about the size of my dorm room.  Which I shared with another student.  All four years of undergrad.

During my preceptorship at Animal Medical Center in Manhattan, there was a little basement apartment perhaps five square feet bigger which three of us shared.  The door to the bathroom was folded cardboard, I kid you not.

How much were you paying for that place? The rent on my apartment was slightly higher than the mortgage payment on my parents' house.

2 hours ago, ijuin said:

How much were you paying for that place? The rent on my apartment was slightly higher than the mortgage payment on my parents' house.

I'm paying roughly 500 a month, but that also includes water so it varies.  500 would be the upper end.  475 or 460 is closer to the normal.

3 hours ago, banneret said:

I never forget how cheap the rest of the country is. Here, studio and single bedroom apartments are north of a thousand dollars.

I can live fairly well on my disability pay in Tulsa.  I strongly suspect that Tulsa is about as large of a city that this is true.  My apartment is about 1/3 of my income, which is where, roughly, housing is supposed to be.

Frighteningly, the median rental price for a two-bedroom apartment here in Silicon Valley has reached thirty-five hundred dollars per month,.

14 minutes ago, ijuin said:

Frighteningly, the median rental price for a two-bedroom apartment here in Silicon Valley has reached thirty-five hundred dollars per month,.

That is 2000 more than my monthly income.

Of course, due to variable vacancy, you can't merely use the median - there are apartment complexes in Sunnyvale and Milpitas with 60% occupancy because the prices far outstrip the amenities. Nor can we treat "Silicon Valley" as a single housing market, renting in Campbell can be 65% of the price of Cupertino, for instance. It is awful, however, our wages don't keep pace with the housing market, and almost all of the people I know on disability in the region have left because disability income is inadequate for survival, even with roommates.

On 7/7/2016 at 5:15 AM, banneret said:

Of course, due to variable vacancy, you can't merely use the median - there are apartment complexes in Sunnyvale and Milpitas with 60% occupancy because the prices far outstrip the amenities. Nor can we treat "Silicon Valley" as a single housing market, renting in Campbell can be 65% of the price of Cupertino, for instance. It is awful, however, our wages don't keep pace with the housing market, and almost all of the people I know on disability in the region have left because disability income is inadequate for survival, even with roommates.

Even your "cheap" option is 775 more than my monthly income.  Let's keep in mind that disability pay the same amount as what would be your best Social Security payment would be and that I've had a fairly long and relative speaking well paid job history.  And I'm getting $1500 a month.  Yeah, I'll be staying in Tulsa for a while.  Quite possibly for the rest of my life.

I am not smarter than CPAN's automatic mode.

If i want a small linux like lap top, my RCA Maven Pro, after being rooted and Turmux loaded is more or less the best possible option. 

No version of cpan seems to come with the full cpan bundle installed.

#geekproblems

My local public library keeps a running total of all the fines you've ever paid them for each account, easily accessible at a certaintab and automatically opened when you pay a fine online.

My total has just passed $2000.  While a lot of it was books, the majority was overdue fines on DVD, which usually check out for from one to three weeks for free but are then $1/day (versus 10¢/day for overdue books).  Since that's what RedBox charges from day one, I usually don't feel too bad about paying it, and I'd certainly rather my money goes to such a worthy cause as the public library.  Still, it does seem like a significant price to pay for not being able to remember when to return things.  ;-P

i don't know if this is Android or os x fault, but using secure FTP is weird.  Screaming fast from the tablet to the MacMini.  Slow as a slow thing the other way.