• Announcements

• Robin

Welcome!   03/05/2016

Welcome, everyone, to the new 910CMX Community Forums. I'm still working on getting them running, so things may change.  If you're a 910 Comic creator and need your forum recreated, let me know and I'll get on it right away.  I'll do my best to make this new place as fun as the last one!
Sign in to follow this  
The Old Hack

Things you have no idea how to feel about

What is the big deal about avocado on toast (or avocado sandwiches)? People are talking about it lately like it's something left over from the Yuppie era from the 80s. I don't eat the stuff (I'm smart enough to make guacamole out of them first), but what's wrong with it?

16 minutes ago, ProfessorTomoe said:

What is the big deal about avocado on toast (or avocado sandwiches)? People are talking about it lately like it's something left over from the Yuppie era from the 80s. I don't eat the stuff (I'm smart enough to make guacamole out of them first), but what's wrong with it?

Well, for starters, it is avocado.  One of the few veggies I don't eat.

2 hours ago, ProfessorTomoe said:

From what I've seen, avocado on toast is the reason why the economy is messed up so bad.

Or to be more specific, economists are blaming millenials for trying to live a high end lifestyle on low income.

2 hours ago, Scotty said:

From what I've seen, avocado on toast is the reason why the economy is messed up so bad.

Or to be more specific, economists are blaming millenials for trying to live a high end lifestyle on low income.

Exactly. WTF is wrong with that? It sounds more like fodder for comedians to me than anything anyone should really be concerned about.

On 7/9/2017 at 0:46 PM, mlooney said:

Well, for starters, it is avocado.  One of the few veggies I don't eat.

My wife loves avocado. And I don't get that. I cannot stomach the consarned things. She especially loves a Quik-Chek sandwich thing called an Avocado Supreme, and I can hardly bear to look at one of these. I have nicknamed them Avocado Supremacy and suspect them of a plot aimed at placing avocados in charge of the world.

1 hour ago, mlooney said:
3 hours ago, ProfessorTomoe said:

Guacamole.

The defense rests.

Are you saying that is good or bad?  Cause it's gross.

One man's sensory input vs. another's. Mine tells me to say, "Yes, please," and eat it when it is appropriately offered.

Guacamole is to avocado as bread is to wheat.  Just because you like whole wheat bread, doesn't mean you also have to like chewing on raw kernals of wheat.  The world would be boring if everyone liked the same things.

We recently did an experiment and learned two things:

1) avocado does nothing for egg salad - nothing bad, but nothing good either

2) adding black pepper to avocado-egg salad is a bad idea. I suspect, but haven't confirmed, that this applies to avocado in general.

5 hours ago, Don Edwards said:

We recently did an experiment and learned two things:

1) avocado does nothing for egg salad - nothing bad, but nothing good either

2) adding black pepper to avocado-egg salad is a bad idea. I suspect, but haven't confirmed, that this applies to avocado in general.

Avocado in terms of flavour doesn't do much, but in terms of nutritional value, it's pretty good stuff.

26 minutes ago, ProfessorTomoe said:

Avocado plus this makes for very tasty stuff. Penzeys Salsa & Pico comes in very handy for other things as well.

Do they make a version without that icky cilantro?

On 10/08/2017 at 8:46 PM, mlooney said:

The lease on the new place in Pittsburg KS signed. Assuming no end of the world or other major emergencies I will be moving 2nd weekend in Sept.

And so you will also be saying farewell to the dingoes of your personal life. Ah well. :/

On 8/10/2017 at 1:46 PM, mlooney said:

The lease on the new place in Pittsburg KS signed. Assuming no end of the world or other major emergencies I will be moving 2nd weekend in Sept.

Hmm....nope, working Saturday morning and an all-day CE session Sunday.  Can't come and help.

No mixed feelings about all these truck/van/car terrorist attacks; they're horrible.

But what I now have mixed feelings about is realizing that maybe, just possibly, they'll lead to increased public transit and bicycle access in highly populated areas.  More places blocked off from motor vehicle traffic and thus safe for walking and biking.  More subways and El trains and perhaps even a return of a few trolleys, since they're all on rails and thus difficult to hijack.

They say every cloud has a silver lining.....

I've been keeping weirder and weirder hours.  I'm trying to decide if I want to actually get up and do something useful at 11:30 PM or if I should go back to bed for at least 3-5 hours.

Harder call than it should be.

19 minutes ago, mlooney said:

I've been keeping weirder and weirder hours.  I'm trying to decide if I want to actually get up and do something useful at 11:30 PM or if I should go back to bed for at least 3-5 hours.

Harder call than it should be.

Well, I didn't take my meds last night, so it's been decided for me, I'm going to sleep for at least 4-5 hours anyway.

So, a couple Fridays ago: after being lazy for like twelve years, I finally got it in gear and took my test to get my learner's permit. I can now legally drive a car with a licensed driver in the passenger seat. After some practice driving on actual roads with actual traffic, I would eventually (haven't done it yet, but eventually) go and take the actual driving test to get the full driver's license.

Except the Department of Public Safety just up and mailed me my driver's license. No road test. Didn't even have to go to the DMV.

Um... what? How does the DPS know I actually know how to drive, as opposed to just memorizing the driver's handbook? Is this why so many Houston drivers don't know how to signal or to give right-of-way to people who are changing lanes? Because the DPS just up and gives you the license?

Is it because I'm 27? I'm old enough and that means I don't actually have to demonstrate proof that I know how to drive? Is that it?

We're calling them tomorrow to see what's going on, and until we figure this out, I'm playing it safe and having a licensed driver with me.

...seriously. What?

21 hours ago, Zorua said:

So, a couple Fridays ago: after being lazy for like twelve years, I finally got it in gear and took my test to get my learner's permit. I can now legally drive a car with a licensed driver in the passenger seat. After some practice driving on actual roads with actual traffic, I would eventually (haven't done it yet, but eventually) go and take the actual driving test to get the full driver's license.

Except the Department of Public Safety just up and mailed me my driver's license. No road test. Didn't even have to go to the DMV.

Um... what? How does the DPS know I actually know how to drive, as opposed to just memorizing the driver's handbook? Is this why so many Houston drivers don't know how to signal or to give right-of-way to people who are changing lanes? Because the DPS just up and gives you the license?

Is it because I'm 27? I'm old enough and that means I don't actually have to demonstrate proof that I know how to drive? Is that it?

We're calling them tomorrow to see what's going on, and until we figure this out, I'm playing it safe and having a licensed driver with me.

...seriously. What?

I dunno how they do it down there, but here in Canada there's a graded system, a learners permit is G1 and only needs a written test and eye exam passed to get, the G2 is a a road test that can be taken at any point after having a G1 for a year (unless you take a drivers ed course then you only need to wait 8 months), then after another year you can take another road test to get a full G license.

Each level of the license has a physical ID card given that are pretty much identical except they have the license level printed on it, so double check to see if yours has something that states it's a learners license or if it is a full license.