• Announcements

    • Robin

      Welcome!   03/05/2016

      Welcome, everyone, to the new 910CMX Community Forums. I'm still working on getting them running, so things may change.  If you're a 910 Comic creator and need your forum recreated, let me know and I'll get on it right away.  I'll do my best to make this new place as fun as the last one!
Sign in to follow this  
The Old Hack

Things you have no idea how to feel about

Recommended Posts

Why did I issue an 'r' command to cpan?  Now I feel forced to try to update as many modules as I can with out doing a full Perl upgrade.

#1stWorldGeekProblems.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Starfinder.

It's "Pathfinder in Space", but not silly like "Spelljammer" was.

I'm torn now, between making "Edge of Imperial Space" a standalone or a Starfinder compatible product.   Thankfully Starfinder doesn't have a full set of world creation rules nor does it have vehicle design rules, both things I'm currently working on.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Would it be feasible to make it a Starfinder-compatible standalone?

Two editions: the complete version, and the Starfinder version (which would most likely be just a subset of the complete version)?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Don Edwards said:

Would it be feasible to make it a Starfinder-compatible standalone?

 

Fairly easy, just need to redo the classes, core mechanic and the monster stuff.    Which isn't a big a deal as it sounds.

6 minutes ago, Don Edwards said:

Two editions: the complete version, and the Starfinder version (which would most likely be just a subset of the complete version)?

That is also possible.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Don Edwards said:

Two editions: the complete version, and the Starfinder version (which would most likely be just a subset of the complete version)?

I seem to remember G.U.R.P.S. doing something like that, putting out their own version of outside games as well as various book/media tie-in and original supplements.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

15 days and counting. I can't say I'm 100% happy about moving, but I strongly suspect this will be for the best. Having places to go to with in walking distance, if nothing else, should help.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
48 minutes ago, mlooney said:

15 days and counting. I can't say I'm 100% happy about moving, but I strongly suspect this will be for the best. Having places to go to with in walking distance, if nothing else, should help.

If I may be so impertinent as to pry, do you mind sharing the reason for the move? 'Tis understandable if you don't. I'm just being nosy for a change.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, ProfessorTomoe said:

If I may be so impertinent as to pry, do you mind sharing the reason for the move? 'Tis understandable if you don't. I'm just being nosy for a change.

  1. It's cheaper
  2. It's closer to family, at least the family that I deal with most often.
  3. It does give me an option of doing something other than sitting in my room and grunting.
  4. It's a lot cheaper...

When I say it's cheaper, I mean that it will have paid for the moving costs in 2 months.  $375 vs ~$600.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, mlooney said:
  1. It's cheaper
  2. It's closer to family, at least the family that I deal with most often.
  3. It does give me an option of doing something other than sitting in my room and grunting.
  4. It's a lot cheaper...

When I say it's cheaper, I mean that it will have paid for the moving costs in 2 months.  $375 vs ~$600.

The Prof approves.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Why do I find the sound of certain engines racing each other soothing, yet I find others irritating? Examples follow.

Soothing (and exciting, sometimes):

  • IndyCar
  • Formula 1
  • MotoGP
  • MotoAmerica

Irritating:

  • NASCAR (all formats)
  • World of Outlaws
  • Motocross

I don't get it. Some I find neutral, like hydroplane boats and go karts.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't like working with databases, so tell me why am I doing this project as data driven vs internal data blocks?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Part of "Edge of Imperial Space" is, of course, subsectors. I've run into a slight snag, in that around 40 worlds to a subsector, with 20 some odd biomes means that even with the 1d6 version of the encounter chart I'm going to end up with 2,500 - 3,000 "animals". This makes for a PDF with a lot of pages.

So, how many referees actually use animal encounters on under populated worlds?

I have a Perl script that auto fills a MySQL database with the critters for a world, which only takes a few minutes to run for a whole subsector, so It's not adding to my work flow so much as really inflating the page count.

I'm thinking that for each subsector "product" it will come with 5 files.
1) Players Guide
2) Referee's Guide
3) Encounters book
4) MySQL File of the data in #2
5) MySQL File of the data in #3

Any thoughts?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't consider myself very religious (not entirely sure I'd say I'm athiest or agnostic either though) but I saw this and don't know how to feel about it:

2017-09-12-Bending-over-backwards---part

On one hand, I'm not sure I like the idea of an afterlife in what equates to a Google datacenter.

But on the other hand, anyone who's in IT would think a datacenter with wiring that tidy and organized would be heaven. :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

When a story makes you feel negative feeling against an event and the person responsible that the author intended for you to dislike, is that a good thing or a bad thing?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, partner555 said:

When a story makes you feel negative feeling against an event and the person responsible that the author intended for you to dislike, is that a good thing or a bad thing?

It depends. Is the story manipulative? Does the author even attempt to make sure that the reader possesses all the facts? I could write quite objective pieces on a number of historical characters that would not really leave most readers inclined to like them. I could also do a hatchet job on someone meant to make them look like a supervillain -- facts may or may not be involved in the process. Writing is a subtle art and some people are experts in putting a certain, shall we say, perspective on what they write. Others do it rather more clumsily.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

All the pennies have dropped from my move.

Got a call today from my old insurance, saying that I wasn't covered any more due to moving out of state, which means I could start to apply for insurance in KS, which I did, only taking 3 tries to guess which governmental web site I should be using.  

Got move out inspection notice from the old place, and I can deal with it.  Don't like it, but I can deal.

All the other bills and what not have been set up and are done.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, mlooney said:

All the pennies have dropped from my move.

Guess you should've screwed the lid on tighter on your penny jar before moving it!

6 hours ago, mlooney said:

Got a call today from my old insurance, saying that I wasn't covered any more due to moving out of state, which means I could start to apply for insurance in KS, which I did, only taking 3 tries to guess which governmental web site I should be using.  

Eek!  Being without insurance is scary.  There's no way to extend the old policy until the newone takes effect?

6 hours ago, mlooney said:

Got move out inspection notice from the old place, and I can deal with it.  Don't like it, but I can deal.

Did you take lots of pictures?  I grew up on a college campus, and every year the student paper really hammered into the new students that you take puctures before you move in, and pictures after you move out, and note everything on the pre-move-in inspection that they could possibly claim was new since you moved in if you didn't document it.

6 hours ago, mlooney said:

All the other bills and what not have been set up and are done.

Hooray, I guess?  Congratulations!  You're as moved-in as you can be except for the moment when the last box is unpacked.  (Which for some people is the first week, for others, not for years....)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, CritterKeeper said:

Eek!  Being without insurance is scary.  There's no way to extend the old policy until the newone takes effect?

Nope.  However I still have Medicare A and B

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, The Old Hack said:

Hrm. Do you have to share them with the Prof's wife's feral cats, Dumbass A and Dumbass B?

They're not insured. Baker is the only cat with insurance around here. We'd insure Loudmouth, but with him being FeLV+, no insurance company will touch him. No Obamacare for kitties.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, ProfessorTomoe said:

They're not insured. Baker is the only cat with insurance around here. We'd insure Loudmouth, but with him being FeLV+, no insurance company will touch him. No Obamacare for kitties.

Hmm, I'm almost surprised they don't say, "Sure, we'll insure him, but anything that might possibly be related to his FeLV status is excluded."  Which would leave, what, a broken leg?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, CritterKeeper said:

Hmm, I'm almost surprised they don't say, "Sure, we'll insure him, but anything that might possibly be related to his FeLV status is excluded."  Which would leave, what, a broken leg?

You know, to be honest, we've just gone on assumption. I don't actually know if Mrs. Prof has checked or not. Something to investigate.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Cox has my new address.  I'm wondering if they will spam mail me with the same offers the did back in Tulsa.

For what it's worth, the cable internet here in Pittsburg seems faster than it did in Tulsa, with, in theory, the same hardware and service level.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this