• Announcements

• Robin

Welcome!   03/05/2016

Welcome, everyone, to the new 910CMX Community Forums. I'm still working on getting them running, so things may change.  If you're a 910 Comic creator and need your forum recreated, let me know and I'll get on it right away.  I'll do my best to make this new place as fun as the last one!
Sign in to follow this  
The Old Hack

Things you have no idea how to feel about

Why did I issue an 'r' command to cpan?  Now I feel forced to try to update as many modules as I can with out doing a full Perl upgrade.

#1stWorldGeekProblems.

Starfinder.

It's "Pathfinder in Space", but not silly like "Spelljammer" was.

I'm torn now, between making "Edge of Imperial Space" a standalone or a Starfinder compatible product.   Thankfully Starfinder doesn't have a full set of world creation rules nor does it have vehicle design rules, both things I'm currently working on.

Would it be feasible to make it a Starfinder-compatible standalone?

Two editions: the complete version, and the Starfinder version (which would most likely be just a subset of the complete version)?

4 minutes ago, Don Edwards said:

Would it be feasible to make it a Starfinder-compatible standalone?

Fairly easy, just need to redo the classes, core mechanic and the monster stuff.    Which isn't a big a deal as it sounds.

6 minutes ago, Don Edwards said:

Two editions: the complete version, and the Starfinder version (which would most likely be just a subset of the complete version)?

That is also possible.

1 hour ago, Don Edwards said:

I seem to remember G.U.R.P.S. doing something like that, putting out their own version of outside games as well as various book/media tie-in and original supplements.

15 days and counting. I can't say I'm 100% happy about moving, but I strongly suspect this will be for the best. Having places to go to with in walking distance, if nothing else, should help.

48 minutes ago, mlooney said:

15 days and counting. I can't say I'm 100% happy about moving, but I strongly suspect this will be for the best. Having places to go to with in walking distance, if nothing else, should help.

If I may be so impertinent as to pry, do you mind sharing the reason for the move? 'Tis understandable if you don't. I'm just being nosy for a change.

1 minute ago, ProfessorTomoe said:

If I may be so impertinent as to pry, do you mind sharing the reason for the move? 'Tis understandable if you don't. I'm just being nosy for a change.

1. It's cheaper
  2. It's closer to family, at least the family that I deal with most often.
  3. It does give me an option of doing something other than sitting in my room and grunting.
  4. It's a lot cheaper...

When I say it's cheaper, I mean that it will have paid for the moving costs in 2 months.  $375 vs ~$600.

28 minutes ago, mlooney said:
  1. It's cheaper
  2. It's closer to family, at least the family that I deal with most often.
  3. It does give me an option of doing something other than sitting in my room and grunting.
  4. It's a lot cheaper...

When I say it's cheaper, I mean that it will have paid for the moving costs in 2 months.  $375 vs ~$600.

The Prof approves.

Why do I find the sound of certain engines racing each other soothing, yet I find others irritating? Examples follow.

Soothing (and exciting, sometimes):

• IndyCar
  • Formula 1
  • MotoGP
  • MotoAmerica

Irritating:

• NASCAR (all formats)
  • World of Outlaws
  • Motocross

I don't get it. Some I find neutral, like hydroplane boats and go karts.

I don't like working with databases, so tell me why am I doing this project as data driven vs internal data blocks?

Part of "Edge of Imperial Space" is, of course, subsectors. I've run into a slight snag, in that around 40 worlds to a subsector, with 20 some odd biomes means that even with the 1d6 version of the encounter chart I'm going to end up with 2,500 - 3,000 "animals". This makes for a PDF with a lot of pages.

So, how many referees actually use animal encounters on under populated worlds?

I have a Perl script that auto fills a MySQL database with the critters for a world, which only takes a few minutes to run for a whole subsector, so It's not adding to my work flow so much as really inflating the page count.

I'm thinking that for each subsector "product" it will come with 5 files.
1) Players Guide
2) Referee's Guide
3) Encounters book
4) MySQL File of the data in #2
5) MySQL File of the data in #3

Any thoughts?

I don't consider myself very religious (not entirely sure I'd say I'm athiest or agnostic either though) but I saw this and don't know how to feel about it:

2017-09-12-Bending-over-backwards---part

On one hand, I'm not sure I like the idea of an afterlife in what equates to a Google datacenter.

But on the other hand, anyone who's in IT would think a datacenter with wiring that tidy and organized would be heaven. :)

When a story makes you feel negative feeling against an event and the person responsible that the author intended for you to dislike, is that a good thing or a bad thing?

8 minutes ago, partner555 said:

When a story makes you feel negative feeling against an event and the person responsible that the author intended for you to dislike, is that a good thing or a bad thing?

It depends. Is the story manipulative? Does the author even attempt to make sure that the reader possesses all the facts? I could write quite objective pieces on a number of historical characters that would not really leave most readers inclined to like them. I could also do a hatchet job on someone meant to make them look like a supervillain -- facts may or may not be involved in the process. Writing is a subtle art and some people are experts in putting a certain, shall we say, perspective on what they write. Others do it rather more clumsily.

All the pennies have dropped from my move.

Got a call today from my old insurance, saying that I wasn't covered any more due to moving out of state, which means I could start to apply for insurance in KS, which I did, only taking 3 tries to guess which governmental web site I should be using.  

Got move out inspection notice from the old place, and I can deal with it.  Don't like it, but I can deal.

All the other bills and what not have been set up and are done.

6 hours ago, mlooney said:

All the pennies have dropped from my move.

Guess you should've screwed the lid on tighter on your penny jar before moving it!

Got a call today from my old insurance, saying that I wasn't covered any more due to moving out of state, which means I could start to apply for insurance in KS, which I did, only taking 3 tries to guess which governmental web site I should be using.  

Eek!  Being without insurance is scary.  There's no way to extend the old policy until the newone takes effect?

Got move out inspection notice from the old place, and I can deal with it.  Don't like it, but I can deal.

Did you take lots of pictures?  I grew up on a college campus, and every year the student paper really hammered into the new students that you take puctures before you move in, and pictures after you move out, and note everything on the pre-move-in inspection that they could possibly claim was new since you moved in if you didn't document it.

All the other bills and what not have been set up and are done.

Hooray, I guess?  Congratulations!  You're as moved-in as you can be except for the moment when the last box is unpacked.  (Which for some people is the first week, for others, not for years....)

4 hours ago, CritterKeeper said:

Eek!  Being without insurance is scary.  There's no way to extend the old policy until the newone takes effect?

Nope.  However I still have Medicare A and B

3 hours ago, The Old Hack said:

Hrm. Do you have to share them with the Prof's wife's feral cats, Dumbass A and Dumbass B?

They're not insured. Baker is the only cat with insurance around here. We'd insure Loudmouth, but with him being FeLV+, no insurance company will touch him. No Obamacare for kitties.

1 hour ago, ProfessorTomoe said:

They're not insured. Baker is the only cat with insurance around here. We'd insure Loudmouth, but with him being FeLV+, no insurance company will touch him. No Obamacare for kitties.

Hmm, I'm almost surprised they don't say, "Sure, we'll insure him, but anything that might possibly be related to his FeLV status is excluded."  Which would leave, what, a broken leg?

3 minutes ago, CritterKeeper said:

Hmm, I'm almost surprised they don't say, "Sure, we'll insure him, but anything that might possibly be related to his FeLV status is excluded."  Which would leave, what, a broken leg?

You know, to be honest, we've just gone on assumption. I don't actually know if Mrs. Prof has checked or not. Something to investigate.

Cox has my new address.  I'm wondering if they will spam mail me with the same offers the did back in Tulsa.

For what it's worth, the cable internet here in Pittsburg seems faster than it did in Tulsa, with, in theory, the same hardware and service level.