• Announcements

    • Robin

      Welcome!   03/05/2016

      Welcome, everyone, to the new 910CMX Community Forums. I'm still working on getting them running, so things may change.  If you're a 910 Comic creator and need your forum recreated, let me know and I'll get on it right away.  I'll do my best to make this new place as fun as the last one!
Sign in to follow this  
The Old Hack

Things you have no idea how to feel about

Recommended Posts

2 hours ago, mlooney said:

They started yesterdayearly this afternoon at demolishing the house to the immediate  west of me.   It's pretty much gone now.

Corrections made to time line

I went out and talked to the foreman.  He says he started "right after lunch", so it is possible that I didn't miss something and the house was there when I left for my brother's place at about 12:45.  It's a large pile of scrap wood now.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I just noticed I have reached 1776 upvotes now. Does that mean I have to start a Revolutionary War? And if I do, who do we rebel against? The Pharaoh is the only king we have here and he hasn't really done anything noteworthy to rebel against. He hasn't even raised tariffs on tea.

I guess mlooney gets to be our Washington. Vorlonagent can be Patrick Henry and Don Edwards can be Paine. Professor Tomoe, of course, has to be Benjamin Franklin. CritterKeeper, are you any good at sewing flags? Scotty gets to be a Crown Loyalist because he is Canadian. ChronosCat is the time traveller trying to preserve the timeline. Which other roles do we need filled?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, The Old Hack said:

I just noticed I have reached 1776 upvotes now. Does that mean I have to start a Revolutionary War? And if I do, who do we rebel against? The Pharaoh is the only king we have here and he hasn't really done anything noteworthy to rebel against. He hasn't even raised tariffs on tea.

I guess mlooney gets to be our Washington. Vorlonagent can be Patrick Henry and Don Edwards can be Paine. Professor Tomoe, of course, has to be Benjamin Franklin. CritterKeeper, are you any good at sewing flags? Scotty gets to be a Crown Loyalist because he is Canadian. ChronosCat is the time traveller trying to preserve the timeline. Which other roles do we need filled?

maybe you just have to put on a musical theater show?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, The Old Hack said:

The Pharaoh is the only king we have here and he hasn't really done anything noteworthy to rebel against.

If I must....

Be it known by most royal proclamation.

The Hokey-Pokey is NOT what it is all about.

So let it be written,
So let it be done.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, The Old Hack said:

Perhaps acetylsalisylic acid might help with that? :danshiftyeyes:

Or safe dosage of para‑acetaminophenol, for that matter? :danshiftyeyes:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, The Old Hack said:

Perhaps acetylsalisylic acid might help with that? :danshiftyeyes:

 

17 minutes ago, HarJIT said:

Or safe dosage of para‑acetaminophenol, for that matter? :danshiftyeyes:

Why not both?  I take a mix of them about every 3-5 days, depending on headaches.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm way too happy about the fact that a Dollar General store is opening up in my neighbourhood.    Right at 500 meters away, if Google Maps is to be believed.  Should be open this weekend or sooner.

I should not be this happy about a semi-cheap store opening, but it's a real store within walking distance, that's something I haven't had for a little under 3 years now.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm looking at electric bikes again. They have come down a lot in price in the last 4 years or so. After the e-zip I know what to look for and what to expect out of a e-bike.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This one is... potentially incendiary. But I have to share it. I am midway between being scandalised and aghast. But try as I might, I cannot for the life of me manage to feel all that sorry for the woman in question. O.O

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, The Old Hack said:

This one is... potentially incendiary. But I have to share it. I am midway between being scandalised and aghast. But try as I might, I cannot for the life of me manage to feel all that sorry for the woman in question. O.O

Covering policemen in racist abuse (or even non-racist abuse) is going to get you arrested for something.  It's not a Free Speech thing.  It's a commonsense "you don't do that" thing. 

The host is not stating race relations in South Africa entirely accurately when he implied all the bad intentions/actions are on the part of south african whites.  Groups of South African blacks are burning the crops and houses of white south african farmers in order to drive them off the land and take it.  (this happened in Zimbabwe a while back and the result was massive famine because the new owners didn't know how to farm and drove out the people who did)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, The Old Hack said:

This one is... potentially incendiary. But I have to share it. I am midway between being scandalised and aghast. But try as I might, I cannot for the life of me manage to feel all that sorry for the woman in question. O.O

 

"The uploader has not made this video available in your country."

Really hate it when people do that, feels like censorship. But then again, it's Comedy Central, not really the kind of place to look for world news.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Scotty said:

"The uploader has not made this video available in your country."

Really hate it when people do that, feels like censorship. But then again, it's Comedy Central, not really the kind of place to look for world news.

Ah. In brief, this (white) woman had her car broken into and called for the police. She got two Black officers. She covered them with abuse, demanded white cops, and called them the South African equivalent of the N-word forty-eight times (this was being recorded.) At the end of it they grew rather tired of the abuse and took her in. She was subsequently sentenced to three years of prison for racism.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, The Old Hack said:

Ah. In brief, this (white) woman had her car broken into and called for the police. She got two Black officers. She covered them with abuse, demanded white cops, and called them the South African equivalent of the N-word forty-eight times (this was being recorded.) At the end of it they grew rather tired of the abuse and took her in. She was subsequently sentenced to three years of prison for racism.

Ahh yeah, you don't do stuff like that without expecting fair treatment. Reminds me of this story I saw about a woman who left a very rude note on the windshield of an ambulance demanding that they move the vehicle. Personally I think the judge went easy on her with the penalty there since she had a history or butting heads with her neighbours to the point where one had to file a restraining order on her.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I know it's a day late, and I know it's political. But it's really weird seeing politicians doing stuff like this.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, Scotty said:

I know it's a day late, and I know it's political. But it's really weird seeing politicians doing stuff like this.

Politicians are human, too. I find it comforting.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Also somewhat appropriate since the earliest, widespread, "May the Fourth" reference seems to have been to Margaret Thatcher when she took over as Prime Minister on May the Fourth, 1979.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this