• Announcements

• Robin

Welcome!   03/05/2016

Welcome, everyone, to the new 910CMX Community Forums. I'm still working on getting them running, so things may change.  If you're a 910 Comic creator and need your forum recreated, let me know and I'll get on it right away.  I'll do my best to make this new place as fun as the last one!
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
The Old Hack

Things you have no idea how to feel about

483 posts in this topic

Bills.  Water bill is, for no reason I can see, $10 less than last month.  Electric, on the other hand, $10 more than last month.  I'd call that a wash.  For once my cable bill is exactly the same 2 months in a row.  For Cox cable that's weird.

9 hours ago, mlooney said:

Water bill is, for no reason I can see, $10 less than last month.  Electric, on the other hand, $10 more than last month.  I'd call that a wash. 

Given it's the water bill that's lower, seems more like it was the lack of a wash....

9 hours ago, mlooney said:

For once my cable bill is exactly the same 2 months in a row.  For Cox cable that's weird.

Hmm, Comcast may have many, many, many problems, but their billing seems to be pretty consistent, month to month.  As long as that billing is correct, it is likely to stay that way.  (Just make sure you're not getting charged for renting a cable modem when you actually own it....)

5 hours ago, CritterKeeper said:

Given it's the water bill that's lower, seems more like it was the lack of a wash....

Hmm, Comcast may have many, many, many problems, but their billing seems to be pretty consistent, month to month.  As long as that billing is correct, it is likely to stay that way.  (Just make sure you're not getting charged for renting a cable modem when you actually own it....)

I suspect it has more to do with my toilet not flooding the bath room as much.  Or the dishwasher might use extra water when summoning elder gods.

Cox is random.  Always has.  When I was living with my mother, the bill varied by up to 5% every month, for exactly the same service.  As it happens I am renting the modem.

The Old Hack likes this

2 hours ago, mlooney said:

I suspect it has more to do with my toilet not flooding the bath room as much.  Or the dishwasher might use extra water when summoning elder gods.

You keep an eye on that thing, you hear? If it ever gets out that one of my posters summoned the Thing that Devoured Broken Arrow, OK, all the other moderators will laugh at me.

On 7/16/2016 at 8:03 PM, CritterKeeper said:

My local public library keeps a running total of all the fines you've ever paid them for each account, easily accessible at a certaintab and automatically opened when you pay a fine online.

My total has just passed $2000.  While a lot of it was books, the majority was overdue fines on DVD, which usually check out for from one to three weeks for free but are then $1/day (versus 10¢/day for overdue books).  Since that's what RedBox charges from day one, I usually don't feel too bad about paying it, and I'd certainly rather my money goes to such a worthy cause as the public library.  Still, it does seem like a significant price to pay for not being able to remember when to return things.  ;-P

Our library system sends us an email warning the material we've borrowed is near its return date and lets us renew on-line.  I'm both embarrassed and grateful for the number of times this has saved us.

The Old Hack likes this

2 hours ago, The Old Hack said:

You keep an eye on that thing, you hear? If it ever gets out that one of my posters summoned the Thing that Devoured Broken Arrow, OK, all the other moderators will laugh at me.

Just to keep you in the loop, I'm not in Broken Arrow any more.  So it's not my fault is something devours Broken Arrow.  I do have a couple of suspects in mind if that does happen however.

Now if you hear about the Riverside district of Tulsa having issues, that would be me.  Unless it's a fire on 12th night, that would be on the parks department and their yearly bring your Christmas tree to the Riverside parks and watch the big ass bonfire thing.  The clearing they use to do that is right across the street from this apartment complex.

The Old Hack likes this

Just now, mlooney said:

Just to keep you in the loop, I'm not in Broken Arrow any more.  So it's not my fault is something devours Broken Arrow.

Excuses. What if your dishwasher set up a timed ritual to go off after you left?

12 minutes ago, Amiable Dorsai said:

Our library system sends us an email warning the material we've borrowed is near its return date and lets us renew on-line.  I'm both embarrassed and grateful for the number of times this has saved us.

Oh, ours does the same thing.  They even let you return or renew a day late and not get charged the late fee.  It's not their fault.  Sometimes I don't get around to checking my email, sometimes I think I'm going to watch something and then return it and don't get around to that, and sometimes it's that I checked out a large number of DVDs in one big splurge, so being even a couple of days late gets me in trouble.

Most recently, as I've mentioned elsewhere, they closed the main library for remodeling and put about 60% of the collection into storage, so I checked out a whole bunch of things to keep them from disappearing for eighteen months.  Most of them I returned as soon as the temporary location opened, but some I kept renewing because I really was interested in them but hadn't gotten around to reading or watching.  I think there is a big stack of books due tomorrow which have reached the maximum number of renewals, so I'll have to go return them today or tomorrow.  And if this thread hadn't reminded me, I might have forgotten to do so....

1 minute ago, The Old Hack said:

Excuses. What if your dishwasher set up a timed ritual to go off after you left?

Other house didn't have a dish washer.

The Old Hack likes this

Just now, The Old Hack said:

*grumble grumble mutter* ...always an answer... *mutter mutter grumble*

It did (or more accurately does) have a septic tank that I suspect is harboring at least one Lovecraftian horror.  Not elder god level however.

The Old Hack likes this

8 hours ago, mlooney said:

Or the dishwasher might use extra water when summoning elder gods.

The dishwasher is using elder gods to wash dishes instead of water, uses more power though. ;)

mlooney likes this

2 hours ago, mlooney said:

It did (or more accurately does) have a septic tank that I suspect is harboring at least one Lovecraftian horror.  Not elder god level however.

Mph. Probably just a ghoul or something. Still, don't tempt fate, steer clear of the consarned thing.

mlooney likes this

Just now, The Old Hack said:

Mph. Probably just a ghoul or something. Still, don't tempt fate, steer clear of the consarned thing.

Not a problem.  I suspect I'm only going to be at that house 2 or 3 times this year.

The Old Hack likes this

11 hours ago, mlooney said:

Not a problem.  I suspect I'm only going to be at that house 2 or 3 times this year.

Sounds like your summer house, doc.

43 minutes ago, Stature said:

Sounds like your summer house, doc.

I should clarify.  2 or 3 times this year for less than 4 hours each trip.

I took a 4 hour nap, meaning to go to bed for the night.  Woke up, thought it was Tuesday morning.  Started to make tea, then checked the clock on my computer to see what time my body naturally woke me up at.  What do you mean just a little after 5?  It's light out side.  Oh.  Still Monday.  Never mind.  Time to set it to 24 hour time I think.

I'm not sure if this should go here, or in the annoying thread, but I've put a lot there of late, so it goes here.

Strange are the way of networks.

I've found that the fastest way to get multi gigs of data from my tablet to cloud storage is to us my local SFTP server to send from the tablet to the cloud directories on the MacMini. I get freaking god like upload speeds using SFTP, and because the MacMini has a hard link to the server it tosses the files up almost as fast as they come in. Makes sense, but if I want to get FROM the cloud to the table, I need to use ESFile and connect to the cloud server directly. SFTP from the mini to the tablet is almost dial up speed. Really freaking weird.

Lots of red lines there.  I should add those to my dictionary.

I don't know what to expect from the Wonder Woman movie. The trailer was interesting, and I am a DC reader who likes Wonder Woman and period pieces. I was initially unhappy with their casting choice, but she seems to be doing well enough. On the other hand, DC hasn't made a great film since Batman Begins, and period pieces do relatively poorly, as evidenced by the splendid Captain America: First Avenger which was the second least profitable Marvel Studios film.

9 hours ago, banneret said:

I don't know what to expect from the Wonder Woman movie. The trailer was interesting, and I am a DC reader who likes Wonder Woman and period pieces. I was initially unhappy with their casting choice, but she seems to be doing well enough. On the other hand, DC hasn't made a great film since Batman Begins, and period pieces do relatively poorly, as evidenced by the splendid Captain America: First Avenger which was the second least profitable Marvel Studios film.

I am just glad she is getting a movie at all. I loved First Avenger, but I guess I am just strange. *scratches head*

9 hours ago, The Old Hack said:

I am just glad she is getting a movie at all. I loved First Avenger, but I guess I am just strange. *scratches head*

First Avenger was fantastic; I don't understand why it did so poorly* compared to the other movies.  It was a much better take on Steve Rogers during WWII than the sad sack/Clark Kent that the comics presented. Plus, it gave us Peggy Carter; 'nuff said.

* $176.6 megabucks box office is a use of "poorly" with which I was not previously familiar.

On 7/21/2016 at 7:57 AM, The Old Hack said:

Sometimes I get really embarrassed, learning things about the history of my homeland. This would be a good example.

Yeah, a lot of that going around. In the US some of the policies that look absolutely horrible today (Prohibition, eugenic sterilizations, etc.) were promulgated by the Progressives of the era. As I consider myself somewhat progressive, I occasionally worry about what future generations will think of my cherished notions.