• Announcements

• Robin

Welcome!   03/05/2016

Welcome, everyone, to the new 910CMX Community Forums. I'm still working on getting them running, so things may change.  If you're a 910 Comic creator and need your forum recreated, let me know and I'll get on it right away.  I'll do my best to make this new place as fun as the last one!
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
The Old Hack

Things you have no idea how to feel about

458 posts in this topic

25 minutes ago, Amiable Dorsai said:

Yeah, a lot of that going around. In the US some of the policies that look absolutely horrible today (Prohibition, eugenic sterilizations, etc.) were promulgated by the Progressives of the era. As I consider myself somewhat progressive, I occasionally worry about what future generations will think of my cherished notions.

Eh. I figure that will be their problem. I have trouble enough just working out what is the right thing to do today. If I really want to embarrass myself, I think back on what I used to think was good ideas.

Amiable Dorsai and HarJIT like this

1 hour ago, Drachefly said:

'Progressive' has changed a bit since then. We try to be way less paternalistic than they were, because of the failures we observed them make.

Which leaves us open to brand-new, exciting failures!  :-)

1 hour ago, The Old Hack said:

Eh. I figure that will be their problem. I have trouble enough just working out what is the right thing to do today. If I really want to embarrass myself, I think back on what I used to think was good ideas.

Preach it, brother, when I knew so much less about the world, my opinions were so much more rock-solid.

I may, once I think about it, have some more to write about this. If I do, I'll take it to the political discussion thread.  My, so far, inchoate thoughts seem to be headed that way.

The Old Hack likes this

4 hours ago, Amiable Dorsai said:

First Avenger was fantastic; I don't understand why it did so poorly* compared to the other movies.  It was a much better take on Steve Rogers during WWII than the sad sack/Clark Kent that the comics presented. Plus, it gave us Peggy Carter; 'nuff said.

* $176.6 megabucks box office is a use of "poorly" with which I was not previously familiar.

The film industry, and to a lesser extent the video game industry, is like that. Budgets are so high, with a separate marketing budget which is often comparable, so you want a multiplier. Under free market capitalism, all things are judged first by their profitability relative to investment, and second by their profitability relative to comparable products. I don't like the situation, but it is effectively inescapable. In film, if you don't double your investment, studios will seldom greenlight a sequel. This is part of why so many long running series are horror - horror films are inexpensive by genre convention, so profitability is much easier to attain.

As for the relative performance, direct association with explicit Americana can limit foreign performance, which is why Captain America: The Winter Soldier was released as The Winter Soldier in some territories, I believe. Period pieces themselves require more of the audience, they have to superficially understand and accept the context of the time and place; this is part of why updated/modernized works like Sherlock and Elementary are making the rounds these days while another direct adaptation of Holmes, like Jeremy Brett's classic run, hasn't been greenlighted. Last but not least, it was early days for the Marvel Cinematic Universe, with a much smaller general audience, and Captain America came right on the heels of a rather mixed Thor film.

We know the film cost $140 million to produce, we can estimate the marketing budget was in excess of $40 million, since Paramount paid about $3 million for a Super Bowl advertisement. Domestic gross was $176 million and Foreign sat at $193 million, totaling $370 million which means the film didn't quite hit a double given our marketing estimate - not very successful in Hollywood terms. Back down in reality, it was good, but capitalism is not realistic. All this said, it made over $100 million in DVD and Blu-Ray sales, so it looks even better to you and I, financially.

Contrast Iron Man 2, which cost $200 million to produce and $120 to $150 million to market, and made $620 million. A much worse movie, comparable performance relative to investment. Guardians of the Galaxy was a triple, Ant-Man was a quadruple - I think these films are good enough, but not as good as the first Captain America. However, they benefit from coming much later in the development of the universe, and avoiding the aforementioned audience limiters. I'm not surprised they're far more profitable.

I have enough to do tomorrow that it's going to be, most likely an Adderall day.

Haven't had one of those in several months.

So about 5 months ago I decided to pop back in to EGS after a long hiatus because, well, I thought it was about time I reconnected with some of what I had been doing for the longest time and maybe find some inspiration.

Then the site "fell over".

Well, now I'm back after seeing that the site is stable enough to be workable again but well... I'm still confused.

Hi again btw! It's me, Red Regent, aka Roy, aka VMA, aka TOG? 

The Old Hack likes this

Hello Red Regent, welcome back. And your return to the forums was unfortunate in its timing since it was around then I think that the servers crashed and the system admin had to install a new one from scratch.

1 hour ago, Red Regent said:

So about 5 months ago I decided to pop back in to EGS after a long hiatus because, well, I thought it was about time I reconnected with some of what I had been doing for the longest time and maybe find some inspiration.

Then the site "fell over".

Well, now I'm back after seeing that the site is stable enough to be workable again but well... I'm still confused.

Hi again btw! It's me, Red Regent, aka Roy, aka VMA, aka TOG? 

Oi there! Welcome back. I hope you will be unconfused again in due course. :) We lost a lot of old material, tragically, but the place is still here!

Red Regent likes this

Spam, the email kind, not canned meat, is random. I understand that better than most. I also know that my internet footprint from the start of the web to now has been in the Tulsa Metro area or Denmark. (Denmark is where my web sites servers are).

Why the hell over the last month has most of my spam been in Italian?

The Old Hack likes this

5 hours ago, mlooney said:

Spam, the email kind, not canned meat, is random. I understand that better than most. I also know that my internet footprint from the start of the web to now has been in the Tulsa Metro area or Denmark. (Denmark is where my web sites servers are).

Why the hell over the last month has most of my spam been in Italian?

They somehow found out that you are an Elder God and the spam e-mails are actually threatening letters from exorcists in the Papal Inquisition.

2 minutes ago, The Old Hack said:

Hm. Maybe it is them, and they are actually just trying to sell you cheap catechisms?

Based on what I know of Italian (via high school Latin and Spanish), I don't think so.  The images sure don't go with that idea either.

Just now, mlooney said:

Based on what I know of Italian (via high school Latin and Spanish), I don't think so.  The images sure don't go with that idea either.

How disappointing.

It kind of reminds me of the time a friend of mine got spam offering to sell him cheap flat screens. Only it was in Danish and he read "Fladskærm" (flat screen) as "Faldskærm" (parachute.) He spent several stunned seconds contemplating who could possibly be so stupid as to buy discount parachutes of dubious quality before he caught his error.

Y'all remember a couple of weeks ago, when I expressed surprise that my Cox cable bill was the same 2 months running?

Well, I paid it last night.  It wasn't the same.  I just checked my account on the every so user friendly cox.com web site and got this information:

April payment

July payment  $83.72
June payment  $92.57
May payment  $103.31
April payment  $96.83
March payment  $96.83

My cable bill is a random number centered around $95.00 a month.  I budget $100 for it.  Note that I have not changed service levels or any thing else during this time frame.

General note
I'm not real sure how I feel about being able to put just random HTML in a message and it take it. In my Copious Free Time (which I really have now) I may see how far I can push that before it rejects it

This is my confused face.

Just in case any one is a potty mouth (points at /me) the profanity filter are off.

Just in case this matters.

7 hours ago, mlooney said:

Y'all remember a couple of weeks ago, when I expressed surprise that my Cox cable bill was the same 2 months running?

Well, I paid it last night.  It wasn't the same.  I just checked my account on the every so user friendly cox.com web site and got this information:

April payment

July payment  $83.72
June payment  $92.57
May payment  $103.31
April payment  $96.83
March payment  $96.83

My cable bill is a random number centered around $95.00 a month.  I budget $100 for it.  Note that I have not changed service levels or any thing else during this time frame.

General note
I'm not real sure how I feel about being able to put just random HTML in a message and it take it. In my Copious Free Time (which I really have now) I may see how far I can push that before it rejects it

This is my confused face.

While I can't claim to be an expert on US internet providers, I know for my internet, I pay $33.90 per month, it gives me 6mb down, 800k up which yeah, it's crap, but it's the best I can get in my area at the moment (Bell Canada has been spending a fair amount of time through town and along the highway laying down orange tubing with what I'm pretty certain is fiber cable so I'm hoping I can upgrade at some point soon), I also have a 300gb data limit per month and will get charged extra if I go over.

So, only thing I can think of, is those charges might be based on your usage, doesn't really explain how you managed to get charged the exact same 2 months in a row though. I would seem like a stroke of luck to manage to use the same amount of data in those months.

Just now, Scotty said:

While I can't claim to be an expert on US internet providers, I know for my internet, I pay $33.90 per month, it gives me 6mb down, 800k up which yeah, it's crap, but it's the best I can get in my area at the moment (Bell Canada has been spending a fair amount of time through town and along the highway laying down orange tubing with what I'm pretty certain is fiber cable so I'm hoping I can upgrade at some point soon), I also have a 300gb data limit per month and will get charged extra if I go over.

So, only thing I can think of, is those charges might be based on your usage, doesn't really explain how you managed to get charged the exact same 2 months in a row though. I would seem like a stroke of luck to manage to use the same amount of data in those months.

There isn't a usage fee on the bill, just "Ultimate Internet", which is supposed to be the uber fast one.  Some days it is, some days the packets arrive via a turtle.

3 minutes ago, mlooney said:

There isn't a usage fee on the bill, just "Ultimate Internet", which is supposed to be the uber fast one.  Some days it is, some days the packets arrive via a turtle.

Was it overall pretty fast in May, and slow in July?

If it's not based on usage, why would the monthly charges fluctuate like that? I hope it's not base on the number of Cox customers in your area, I guess it'd be difficult to tell if anyone switched providers/moved out or in for the past few months.

1 minute ago, Scotty said:

Was it overall pretty fast in May, and slow in July?

If it's not based on usage, why would the monthly charges fluctuate like that? I hope it's not base on the number of Cox customers in your area, I guess it'd be difficult to tell if anyone switched providers/moved out or in for the past few months.

No, actually it was above normal in July.  You do understand that a lot of my speed test, so to speak are from Dropbox to my tablet, with a WiFi router in the way.  Still hitting 6-8mBs (bytes, not bits)

6 minutes ago, mlooney said:

No, actually it was above normal in July.  You do understand that a lot of my speed test, so to speak are from Dropbox to my tablet, with a WiFi router in the way.  Still hitting 6-8mBs (bytes, not bits)

Just ran a random speed test

130.4 Mbps download

12.4 Mbps upload

That was while Drop box was doing an upload. That should mean 16mBs or close to it from hard wired box.

2 minutes ago, mlooney said:

That'd explain the speed differences at least, I'm mainly trying to wrap my head around the differences in charges per month.

3 minutes ago, Scotty said:

That'd explain the speed differences at least, I'm mainly trying to wrap my head around the differences in charges per month.

Cox cable is random, always has been, always will be.  I very seldom, over 10+ years of using them gotten the same bill twice in a row.

Orlando Bloom being naked with Katy Perry has been in my Facebook trending for 3 days now. Why Facebook? Why?