• Announcements

• Robin

Welcome!   03/05/2016

Welcome, everyone, to the new 910CMX Community Forums. I'm still working on getting them running, so things may change.  If you're a 910 Comic creator and need your forum recreated, let me know and I'll get on it right away.  I'll do my best to make this new place as fun as the last one!
Sign in to follow this  
Scotty

NP, Wednesday October 5, 2016

20 hours ago, Stature said:

And I thought this sitch is highly resolvable using a beanie and tighter pants.

It could be, except Catalina and Rhoda did not think to bring or acquire a suitable hat or other garment for concealing her new appearance.

4 hours ago, Xenophon Hendrix said:
23 hours ago, hkmaly said:

I mean, you rarely happen to be ambushed next to conveniently placed terrain bump you can all hide behind

If you are, this terrain is booby trapped.

Well, the people who ambushed you MIGHT be totally incompetent ... OR yes it's bobby trapped.

3 hours ago, Scotty said:
20 hours ago, hkmaly said:

Well ... let's see ... what happened to Susan since then ... here? Looks like very strong emotion. Would likely give her completely different spell.

Susan has several moments prior to her angst-induced awakening that could be considered strong emotions, the numerous times she was reminded of her dad's cheating, her feelings during the ordeal with the uniforms, of course magic having a flair for the dramatic could have played into it, like "Angst over dad? No. Angst over high school drama? No. Angst over origin of the hammers? Sure!"

I'm not sure if the example you give would fit as being strong enough to trigger an awakening though, even the examples I gave might be pushing it.

I was saying that with time (or more likely with more training), the trigger will became lighter. Angst over high school drama happened almost month before the hammers (March 6 versus April 4) and in public ; magic might decide to cheat and postpone it. The Star Trek stuff happened June 20th. But, yes, it might be pushing it. Something after the timeskip might've been more likely, but what strong emotion Susan had after timeskip?

If I were to choose examples of strong enough emotions to trigger an awakening, I'd go with Ellen's concern for Nanase's life causing her to fire a super charged beam at Vlad, Elliot's sudden change into cat form when Hedge first attacked him and Sarah might have been due to his concern for Sarah's safety as well or maybe him being able to change again without as much exhaustion when he felt that surrendering to Damien would put Ellen in danger of becoming breeding stock for him. If Nanase wasn't already awakened, her determination for protecting Ellen and fear of losing her would certainly have been enough to trigger one.

Yeah ... all these three cases would be good examples to trigger awakening if the people involved wouldn't already be awakened.

For Ellen and Elliot's examples, I'm not going to claim that it's what actually triggered their awakenings, the timeline would seem right for it and Ellen's super amped beam might be considered a new spell, but the fact that they had energy buildups doesn't allow it to fit properly, they could have technically been awakened immediately by the diamond when Elliot touched it, and it took a couple months for the energy buildups to reach critical, or they could have just spontaneously awakened  when each of them first had their accidental transformation.

They were awakened when Elliot touched the diamond BECAUSE if it would happen later, the awakening would be 1) proper, without energy buildups 2) wouldn't result in more girl spells for Elliot.

Then, how did Elliot, Nanase, and Justin learn basic illusion magic without being marked?

Obviously, it's not a spell. Even Elliot's "Tamashii Gekido" might not count as spell enough to be included in the spellbook.

The mark spell will only appear in spellbook when the person awakens.

Remember that Justin has a spell and he didn't get a spellbook. If they tried to give him spellbook, they would notice he's awakened.

Maybe mages in training have to endure physical training in order to get their first spell. I guess you could say that there'd be strong emotion involved with that.

:)

I also believe that Nanase's a special case as well given her family lineage, she probably would have awakened on her own if Helena and Demetrius didn't awaken her.

If she wouldn't be doing anything, no. With ASMA training, sure. Neither is specific for her lineage, although she might have the ASMA training easier due to that.

5 hours ago, Xenophon Hendrix said:

If you are, this terrain is booby trapped.

Yes.  Claymore mines or the FSU/Russian version are great for that.

On ‎10‎/‎7‎/‎2016 at 10:55 PM, hkmaly said:

Those training to be magic users without being marked don't have ANY spell until they awaken.

ls there actually any reason to connect "awakening" with the number of spells you can use or their power?  It seems to mean something like "the Will of Magic starts granting you new spells without you having to do anything".  For all we know it's possible to be the world's most powerful and versatile wizard but be disliked enough by the Will of Magic that it never gives you anything for free.  Obviously getting stuff for free makes it all *easier*, but there may be approaches to acquiring magic that do not require it.

What Mr. V said about Tengu makes it almost explicit that there are ways the average random person can learn to use magic.

Justin was using illusion magic before being marked, let alone awakened.

As far as we know, Greg isn't marked or awakened.

Doesn't sound to me like a mark, or awakening, is required.

12 hours ago, malloyd said:
On 10/07/2016 at 4:55 AM, hkmaly said:

Those training to be magic users without being marked don't have ANY spell until they awaken.

ls there actually any reason to connect "awakening" with the number of spells you can use or their power?  It seems to mean something like "the Will of Magic starts granting you new spells without you having to do anything".  For all we know it's possible to be the world's most powerful and versatile wizard but be disliked enough by the Will of Magic that it never gives you anything for free.  Obviously getting stuff for free makes it all *easier*, but there may be approaches to acquiring magic that do not require it.

If Will of Magic hates you that much (which may not even be possible, Will of Magic doesn't have human sentience) you won't get ANY spell period.

11 hours ago, Don Edwards said:

Justin was using illusion magic before being marked, let alone awakened.

This is actually question of definition. There are ways to use magic which don't count as spells, and IMHO those illusions are one of those ways. Tedd can't get any spells of his own, yet he can use magic. Elliot's Tamashii Gekido nor Nanase's Mahoh no Supekutoru were never called spells.

What Mr. V said about Tengu makes it almost explicit that there are ways the average random person can learn to use magic.

Tengu was likely awakened. From Mr. Verres talk with Greg, it seems that the dangerous information is "there are ways the average random person can awaken". Greg's training didn't actually awakened anyone else on it's own yet, but got dangerously close.

As far as we know, Greg isn't marked or awakened.

We don't have it confirmed, but it seems likely Greg is awakened. Specifically, that he awakened during those 168 hours of watching anime after his girlfriend dumped him.

The most important means of Awakening that needs to be kept under wraps (both to avoid a potential flood of would-be supervillains and to avoid The Will Of Magic doing a rules-change to avert it) is through simply training for it in an appropriate manner (as implied in http://www.egscomics.com/index.php?id=967 .) As long as the general public believes that one is only a Mage due to genetics or Fate or Luck or Gods or whatever, and that one can not do anything deliberate to become a Mage (beyond petitioning the "Gods"), then there will be few malicious actors trying to obtain this power for themselves.

7 hours ago, hkmaly said:

We don't have it confirmed, but it seems likely Greg is awakened. Specifically, that he awakened during those 168 hours of watching anime after his girlfriend dumped him.

That event could be comparable to Susan's angst over the origin of the hammers though, Greg would have been an emotional wreck after getting dumped.

14 hours ago, ijuin said:

The most important means of Awakening that needs to be kept under wraps (both to avoid a potential flood of would-be supervillains and to avoid The Will Of Magic doing a rules-change to avert it) is through simply training for it in an appropriate manner (as implied in http://www.egscomics.com/index.php?id=967 .) As long as the general public believes that one is only a Mage due to genetics or Fate or Luck or Gods or whatever, and that one can not do anything deliberate to become a Mage (beyond petitioning the "Gods"), then there will be few malicious actors trying to obtain this power for themselves.

I'm pretty sure that if general public realized how EASY is to petition the "Gods", it would be just as bad. Elliot did omit the "empower" part deliberately.

9 hours ago, Scotty said:
16 hours ago, hkmaly said:

That event could be comparable to Susan's angst over the origin of the hammers though, Greg would have been an emotional wreck after getting dumped.

Susan awakened over the origin of the hammers itself. I think Greg awakened over getting OVER being dumped. Like, he felt he lost all meaning of life, and then he found a new one (the anime martial arts) and awakened. But, yes, maybe he did awaken over being dumped and only didn't realized it immediately.

43 minutes ago, hkmaly said:

I think Greg awakened over getting OVER being dumped. Like, he felt he lost all meaning of life, and then he found a new one (the anime martial arts) and awakened. But, yes, maybe he did awaken over being dumped and only didn't realized it immediately.

Well yeah, you did say "during those 168 hours" so he was dumped, and emotionally unstable while watching anime, and at some point something just clicked that made him think that he could actually do the stuff shown in the anime, that click might have been the awakening itself.

1 minute ago, Scotty said:
47 minutes ago, hkmaly said:

I think Greg awakened over getting OVER being dumped. Like, he felt he lost all meaning of life, and then he found a new one (the anime martial arts) and awakened. But, yes, maybe he did awaken over being dumped and only didn't realized it immediately.

Well yeah, you did say "during those 168 hours" so he was dumped, and emotionally unstable while watching anime, and at some point something just clicked that made him think that he could actually do the stuff shown in the anime, that click might have been the awakening itself.

Yes. That's the original idea.

(Although as I said, alternative is possible.)