• Announcements

• Robin

Welcome!   03/05/2016

Welcome, everyone, to the new 910CMX Community Forums. I'm still working on getting them running, so things may change.  If you're a 910 Comic creator and need your forum recreated, let me know and I'll get on it right away.  I'll do my best to make this new place as fun as the last one!
partner555

NP Friday Oct 7, 2016

1 hour ago, ijuin said:

Perhaps a NP story (outside of continuity) where a transformation rampage does happen?

Well, there is "Oblivious Wand Waving". But it might not count because no one knew anything happened...Well maybe two people knew.

Shame we didn't see Adrian follow up on her threat.

14 hours ago, Scotty said:

Well, there is "Oblivious Wand Waving". But it might not count because no one knew anything happened...Well maybe two people knew.

Shame we didn't see Adrian follow up on her threat.

Oblivious Wand Waving is still one of my favorite sequences in EGS or EGS:NP.  Not only the random transformations, but Tess was adorable and I liked seeing her with Elliot.  Male Sarah with Grace was also an interesting pair.  And yes, we should have seen female Adrian (Adria? Adrielle?) get her revenge!

I love this sequence too!  Forget the April Fools gang, who we've never seen again anyway, I want to see this group again.  :-)

I do find it slightly jarring that Tedd becomes Tess, a name we see as female, but Sarah stays Sarah.  There should be some male name that's close to Sarah.  Sean, perhaps?  Harry sounds closer but doesn't look much like Sarah.

14 hours ago, CritterKeeper said:

I do find it slightly jarring that Tedd becomes Tess, a name we see as female, but Sarah stays Sarah.  There should be some male name that's close to Sarah.  Sean, perhaps?  Harry sounds closer but doesn't look much like Sarah.

Believe it or not, the closest English equivalent of a male form of 'Sarah' is 'Prince'. Which is not a common name for boys. (For some reason it was okay to say your little girl is a princess, and even name her that, but not to say your little boy was a prince - unless of course you were a king.)

Working with just the sounds, it should be "Sar" but that isn't an English name. Guessing how the original Hebrew word might have warped if it had been used as a name, English names that would be reasonably likely include "Sean" (pronounced "shawn") and "John". However, both of those are actually derived from a different Hebrew word that was used as a name.

31 minutes ago, HarJIT said:

Perhaps making the alcohol isn't considered all that princely?

He-brews…?

Nah, can't be that. ;):danshiftyeyes:

Gimme that. *grabs list from mlooney*

*makes a note in list, involving execution methods devised by the Spanish Inquisition and Weber's Schulerites*

*hands list back to mlooney*

13 minutes ago, ijuin said:

Obviously. Nobody expects the Spanish Inquisition!

Their chief weapon is surprise after all, surprise and fear--their two weapons are fear and surprise and ruthless efficiency--their three weapons are fear, surprise, ruthless efficiency and an almost fanatic devotion to the Pope!  Their four....Amongst their weaponry...they'll come in again.

19 hours ago, Don Edwards said:

Believe it or not, the closest English equivalent of a male form of 'Sarah' is 'Prince'. Which is not a common name for boys. (For some reason it was okay to say your little girl is a princess, and even name her that, but not to say your little boy was a prince - unless of course you were a king.)

It's even more surprising if you realize that it IS allowed to be named King, even if you are orphan. Actually, ESPECIALLY if you are orphan.

24 minutes ago, hkmaly said:

It's even more surprising if you realize that it IS allowed to be named King, even if you are orphan. Actually, ESPECIALLY if you are orphan.

The ultimate orphan name of course is Ben McFitzson Jr.

That works out to be son of son of son of son of son.  It's also my generic sorta important male NPC name.  He normally lives on or near Mount Torhill.

Mlooney slaps /me's hand away from the list.  It's not a pun.  It's fun with multiple languages.  For reasons.

On 10/12/2016 at 0:42 AM, mlooney said:

The ultimate orphan name of course is Ben McFitzson Jr.

That works out to be son of son of son of son of son.  It's also my generic sorta important male NPC name.  He normally lives on or near Mount Torhill.

Mlooney slaps /me's hand away from the list.  It's not a pun.  It's fun with multiple languages.  For reasons.

Languages can result in funny things at times. 'corn' meant 'horn'. 'Licorn' meant 'the horn', referring to a winged, horned horse. This went into another language and became 'Alicorn', where the 'a' was another definite article, resulting in 'The the horn.' Which means that anyone who in English refers to a specific alicorn ends up saying "The the the horn."

Actually you can do that sort of thing strictly within the history of English, in at least one case.

Plurals: at one time in part of England, one made a plural - at least for certain words - by sticking "er" on the end. Later, that changed to "en". And then yet later, we switched to stkicking "s" on the end.

So we have "children" - a plural of a plural (quite a few parents would agree that this sometimes seems appropriate). And then in some colloquialisms we now have "chilluns" which - aside from being quite slurred - is a plural of a plural of a plural.

Speaking of slurring out sylables, I've heard that the measure of an English accent is how many syllables you can delete from "Worchestershire."   The measure of a Texas accent is how many syllables you can add to a certain four letter word that starts with an S.  The punchline has to be delivered audibly, but involves a native Texan educated in Oxford.  ;-)

35 minutes ago, CritterKeeper said:

Speaking of slurring out sylables, I've heard that the measure of an English accent is how many syllables you can delete from "Worchestershire."   The measure of a Texas accent is how many syllables you can add to a certain four letter word that starts with an S.  The punchline has to be delivered audibly, but involves a native Texan educated in Oxford.  ;-)

Of a slightly different note, sort of, my priest's wife (Church of England) got her nursing degree in Dallas.  She has the female version of the BBC "received pronunciation" accent.  It's quite jarring to hear "y'all" being used unironically in that accent.

7 hours ago, CritterKeeper said:

Your measures are a pair of three-syllable words. Neither of which contains the 'o' sound.

22 minutes ago, Don Edwards said:

Your measures are a pair of three-syllable words. Neither of which contains the 'o' sound.

I think in the spoken version of the joke, it ends up being more like one two-syllable word and one five- or six-syllable word. ;-)

Ah, yes, place name suffices.

-Chester as pronounced, -cester as "stuh" (despite originally being the same word) - i.e. Lester (Leicester), Gloster (Gloucester), Wooster (Worcester).  -Burgh as "bruh", -borough either the same or as written, -ham as "um" at least in England (e.g. Birmingham).

Also, Salisbury -> Solzbree.

Moving on, English accents (excluding some such as Cornish, famously caracturised as Pirate) may not differentiate between "law" and "lore" to the extent that American accents do; essentially, prolonging a vowel without shifting/dipthonging implies an r, in a similar way to how changing a vowel in other ways implies an h (oh, eh).  I don't believe this applies to Scotland etc, hence I didn't say "British".

Re. children, oxen… boxen is already a slang in some circles ("UNIX boxen", with multiple versions or incarnations of the OS being Unixen), I tend to mentally think of more than one forum as "forumen" (neither forums nor fora seems to sound right, although the original "town squares" meaning would be "fora"); I tend to catch myself trying foolishly to extend this to "album" also (sadly, albumen is already taken).