• Announcements

• Robin

Welcome!   03/05/2016

Welcome, everyone, to the new 910CMX Community Forums. I'm still working on getting them running, so things may change.  If you're a 910 Comic creator and need your forum recreated, let me know and I'll get on it right away.  I'll do my best to make this new place as fun as the last one!
liontari

Story: Friday October 7 2016

1 hour ago, Aura Guardian said:

My pet theory is that Pandora needs Sarah and her friends to all use as much magic as they can to chomp out the excess magic in Moperville. When the magic falls to 0, then removing the plug won't be a de-power.

Next-favorite, the plug itself can be used as a finite magic power source.

You know, if the clog itself is and enchant being maintained by the energy pushing against it, using up all the surrounding energy could allow the enchant to dispel and the clog to be removed on it's own. Your theory could have some merit there.

Burn out-level spells to do it quickly? Purge the system of energy... Or would that... Hmm.

Is there such a thing as magic capacitors? You don't want to end up trying to handle huge magical energies and have literal Magic Smoke be your result as you fry your magickyness.

Alternatively we know magical artefacts exist... Dewitchery Dismond-esque items could be considered to be stored charges of magic...

Depends how easy the equivalent of enchanting is. Inbuing items with energy should use up the energy, locking it into the item.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magic_smoke

Edited by RainbowWizard
link to magic smoke

3 hours ago, lonjil said:

I think something like Queen of Chaos would work better. (Demi)goddess implies that she has some special providence over chaos, but really, she just likes it a lot.

Queen also implies being a ruler, i.e. having power of command over it.  I use Demigoddess due to her massive power level. Plus it sounds better than "Fangirl of Chaos" or even "Chaos Aficionado".  Or we could fall back on "Agent of Chaos" or what I've been called "The Ultimate Agent of Entropy".  While Chaos and Entropy aren't quite the same, they are close enough.  Another option, of course would be "Looney's Waifu of Chaos." 

18 minutes ago, mlooney said:

Queen also implies being a ruler, i.e. having power of command over it.  I use Demigoddess due to her massive power level. Plus it sounds better than "Fangirl of Chaos" or even "Chaos Aficionado".  Or we could fall back on "Agent of Chaos" or what I've been called "The Ultimate Agent of Entropy".  While Chaos and Entropy aren't quite the same, they are close enough.  Another option, of course would be "Looney's Waifu of Chaos." 

*facepalm* Yeah, I should probably think before I post. The meaning I had in mind was that she's the queen of using chaos, like the Queen of card games would be the best card player, while the Demigoddess of card games would have some special connection to and power over card games, in a divine sense.

38 minutes ago, lonjil said:

*facepalm* Yeah, I should probably think before I post. The meaning I had in mind was that she's the queen of using chaos, like the Queen of card games would be the best card player, while the Demigoddess of card games would have some special connection to and power over card games, in a divine sense.

Like, say, the Hammer Queen? ;-)

3 hours ago, CritterKeeper said:

Like, say, the Hammer Queen? ;-)

3 hours ago, lonjil said:

Precisely :)

But right now, Susan does have a special connection and power over the stun hammers.  Like she's the only one that can use them now.

On 10/08/2016 at 6:17 AM, Scotty said:
On 10/08/2016 at 4:08 AM, hkmaly said:

From the way Tedd describes how the gauntlet works, it takes a while for it to build up energy, remember, Sarah's spell took 2 big chunks out of the ambient energy around her house, it would probably be faster if she just went somewhere with higher ambient energy levels.

Maybe she'll get a chance to go to France after all. ;)

That's assuming there IS any area with higher ambient energy besides Moperville. I don't think so. Meaning, it will be slow but it will be better than nothing.

9 hours ago, Scotty said:
11 hours ago, Aura Guardian said:

My pet theory is that Pandora needs Sarah and her friends to all use as much magic as they can to chomp out the excess magic in Moperville. When the magic falls to 0, then removing the plug won't be a de-power.

Next-favorite, the plug itself can be used as a finite magic power source.

You know, if the clog itself is and enchant being maintained by the energy pushing against it, using up all the surrounding energy could allow the enchant to dispel and the clog to be removed on it's own. Your theory could have some merit there.

Alternatively, the clog will still need to be removed but without temporary stop the magic energy push on it it would be too hard for anyone else than Pandora to do.

9 hours ago, lonjil said:
9 hours ago, mlooney said:

Unfortunately, the title of Queen of Chaos IS used in the "ruler" sense. Just like Prince of Chaos (very common) or Lord of Chaos. Of course, Lord of Chaos is an oxymoron , but I'm pretty sure it's deliberate.

I like the "Fangirl of Chaos" version. She's a demigoddess and she's fangirl of Chaos, but she's not demigoddess of Chaos ( ... why does this remind me "I'm a girl and I'm his friend, but I'm not his girlfriend"?)

4 hours ago, hkmaly said:

That's assuming there IS any area with higher ambient energy besides Moperville. I don't think so. Meaning, it will be slow but it will be better than nothing.

Alternatively, the clog will still need to be removed but without temporary stop the magic energy push on it it would be too hard for anyone else than Pandora to do.

Unfortunately, the title of Queen of Chaos IS used in the "ruler" sense. Just like Prince of Chaos (very common) or Lord of Chaos. Of course, Lord of Chaos is an oxymoron , but I'm pretty sure it's deliberate.

I like the "Fangirl of Chaos" version. She's a demigoddess and she's fangirl of Chaos, but she's not demigoddess of Chaos ( ... why does this remind me "I'm a girl and I'm his friend, but I'm not his girlfriend"?)

Demigods are people like Hercules, Perseus, and Jason. I am pretty sure that whatever  Pandora is she is MORE then a Demigod

11 minutes ago, animalia said:

Demigods are people like Hercules, Perseus, and Jason. I am pretty sure that whatever  Pandora is she is MORE then a Demigod

In my universes those guys are Heros. Player characters can work up to that level.  Demigod level isn't happening for PCs  YMMV

Just now, mlooney said:

In my universes those guys are Heros. Player characters can work up to that level.  Demigod level isn't happening for PCs  YMMV

The definition of a demigod is the child of a god and a mortal

9 hours ago, mlooney said:

But right now, Susan does have a special connection and power over the stun hammers.  Like she's the only one that can use them now.

I wouldn't interpret it that way, but alright.

Just now, hkmaly said:

I'm not saying there are places with as high an energy level as Moperville is currently. Moperville right now is like a 25 and growing on a scale of 1 to 10 in terms of ambient energy, Moperville before the clog, when if was still considered unusually high, might have been somewhere between 7 and 10 and before Tedd was born, was probably a 2 or 3, other parts of the world could be between 3 and 7.

Also something of note, Andrea and Tara made it sound like the area where energy flowed into their half of the world used to have an abundance of energy before the clog. It makes me think that the energy kinda lingers as it flows into an area before it moves towards the next nexus between halves, so areas where magic flows into the main half of the world could have higher levels as well.

11 hours ago, hkmaly said:

There are other high magic sites. None as large, but Sarah could go all "wizard in a tower" for a few to build up her magimuscles.

5 hours ago, RainbowWizard said:

Chaos Administrator, Immortal-Class.

She ensures chaos is properly filed and done properly according to schedule.

Are you saying that Pandora is a BOFH?  I can live with that.  I've been called that more than a few times.

7 hours ago, animalia said:

The definition of a demigod is the child of a god and a mortal

That's one definition, it's not the only one. Type define:demigod into google.  You get this.

noun
  1. a being with partial or lesser divine status, such as a minor deity, the offspring of a god and a mortal, or a mortal raised to divine rank.

According to the great wiki

In later antiquity, the Roman writer Martianus Capella proposed a hierarchy of gods as follows: the gods proper, or major gods; the genii or daemones; the demigods or semones (who dwell in the upper atmosphere); the manes and ghosts of heroes (who dwell in the lower atmosphere); and the earth-dwelling gods like fauns and satyrs.

Pandora fits nicely into minor deity or one that lives in the upper atmosphere.  In fact it's canon that she sleeps in the atmosphere.  We just don't know if upper or lower.

24 minutes ago, mlooney said:

That's one definition, it's not the only one. Type define:demigod into google.  You get this.

According to the great wiki

Pandora fits nicely into minor deity or one that lives in the upper atmosphere.  In fact it's canon that she sleeps in the atmosphere.  We just don't know if upper or lower.

Sorry. My entire knowledge of Demigods is from Greek mythology. And while I was awhere that they had gods of Different importance the twelve olypians being more important than say the god of wind, they were still all gods. And as such I saw no reason that demigods would be different. For example Heracles/Hercules clearly had more divine abilities than Jason, but they were both still demigods.

in this case could you provide a ling to that god-Like beings scale you mentioned in a earlier post.

1 minute ago, animalia said:

Sorry. My entire knowledge of Demigods is from Greek mythology. And while I was awhere that they had gods of Different importance the twelve olypians being more important than say the god of wind, they were still all gods. And as such I saw no reason that demigods would be different. For example Heracles/Hercules clearly had more divine abilities than Jason, but they were both still demigods.

in this case could you provide a ling to that god-Like beings scale you mentioned in a earlier post.

Ah, the Martianus Capella version I quoted up there is fairly close to the one I use.  Keep in mind I'm a table top role player, so I might have odd ideas about major, minor, lesser, small, and demi gods.

3 minutes ago, mlooney said:

Ah, the Martianus Capella version I quoted up there is fairly close to the one I use.  Keep in mind I'm a table top role player, so I might have odd ideas about major, minor, lesser, small, and demi gods.

Oh. I have the mythological perspective. Speaking of which have you ever read about the Death of Heracles?

13 hours ago, animalia said:

That's the same kind of logic as claiming that Michael Phelps can't be human because I'm human and I can't swim as fast as him, or that Usain Bolt can't be human because I can't run as fast as him, or ...

10 hours ago, Scotty said:
17 hours ago, hkmaly said:

I'm not saying there are places with as high an energy level as Moperville is currently. Moperville right now is like a 25 and growing on a scale of 1 to 10 in terms of ambient energy, Moperville before the clog, when if was still considered unusually high, might have been somewhere between 7 and 10 and before Tedd was born, was probably a 2 or 3, other parts of the world could be between 3 and 7.

5 hours ago, EmpactWB said:

There are other high magic sites. None as large, but Sarah could go all "wizard in a tower" for a few to build up her magimuscles.

I think that BECAUSE the drain, Moperville will be one of those "high magic places" even after the clog will be removed. Well ... ok, likely not whole Moperville, but finding the high magic point in Moperville would be easier than travelling to other country. Especially considering she will KNOW where the drain is (Pandora likely told her).

In those numbers, my estimate of Moperville around the drain before Tedd was born would be 5 or 6.

5 hours ago, mlooney said:

In later antiquity, the Roman writer Martianus Capella proposed a hierarchy of gods as follows: the gods proper, or major gods; the genii or daemones; the demigods or semones (who dwell in the upper atmosphere); the manes and ghosts of heroes (who dwell in the lower atmosphere); and the earth-dwelling gods like fauns and satyrs.

Maybe Pandora is genie or daemon in that hierarchy? Or, more likely, demon.

It's likely that in EGS canon, the whole hierarchy was composed of immortals ; but they only got the (major) god position due to combination of bluffing and directly lying about their abilities and power levels.

4 hours ago, mlooney said:

Keep in mind I'm a table top role player, so I might have odd ideas about major, minor, lesser, small, and demi gods.

If all table top role games agreed, then it might have some validity ... but I doubt that.

I'm trying to mix stuff multiplied by number of readers/players/believers. Mythology have pretty big multiplier, but sometimes is not internally consistent.

On 10/7/2016 at 11:39 AM, Vorlonagent said:

I loved Pandora's, "See, this is the world we live in..." line.

Pandora appreciates the irony of the situation--a wizard who is apparently the "Emissary of Magic" is slow to grasp the issues at hand, while a "D rank talent" understands immediately.

On 10/7/2016 at 4:42 PM, Scotty said:

I think it's just her outfit being different. When she first visited Sarah, she had a Princess Peach theme going, this time around it's a Princess Anna theme. Next time we see child Pandora, I wonder if she'll be Princess Zelda.

Hmm Pandora strikes me as more Triforce of Power than Triforce of Wisdom . . .