• Announcements

    • Robin

      Welcome!   03/05/2016

      Welcome, everyone, to the new 910CMX Community Forums. I'm still working on getting them running, so things may change.  If you're a 910 Comic creator and need your forum recreated, let me know and I'll get on it right away.  I'll do my best to make this new place as fun as the last one!
Sign in to follow this  
Stature

NP Wednesday October 12, 2016

Recommended Posts

TBH, I am not sure how this is going to end up.  I suspect I am like Pandora, in that Catalina logic doesn't resemble earth logic, to somewhat misquote Ms. Summers.  I not sure that Mr. Harris's reply of being more advanced will apply either.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I see four people Pandora should quickly mark before she lose them again. I mean, this is exactly the group she was looking for, isn't it?

1 hour ago, Scotty said:

But yeah, Catalina Logic will say that Otaku will very much notice her and probably be very awkward about it.

They ARE more likely to notice her. She should quickly prepare answer to the obvious questions: "Who are you cosplaying?" "How did you make so nice ears?" ...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, hkmaly said:

I see four people Pandora should quickly mark before she lose them again. I mean, this is exactly the group she was looking for, isn't it?

Maybe she did, maybe they creeped her out like Larry and Rich did so they're on the "maybe if I'm really desperate to mark people" list.

8 minutes ago, hkmaly said:

They ARE more likely to notice her. She should quickly prepare answer to the obvious questions: "Who are you cosplaying?" "How did you make so nice ears?" ...

She seems to know enough about the Otaku stereotype to know that they would be a hindrance to her being able to leave the mall. Now, I might be wrong, because I'm not entirely sure myself, but the girl with them might not actually be "with them" in that they're currently fawning over her for possibly resembling an anime character or something. Catalina would want to avoid the same fate.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Scotty said:
29 minutes ago, hkmaly said:

I see four people Pandora should quickly mark before she lose them again. I mean, this is exactly the group she was looking for, isn't it?

Maybe she did, maybe they creeped her out like Larry and Rich did so they're on the "maybe if I'm really desperate to mark people" list.

I don't think Pandora is so easy to creep out. Larry and Rich are EXPERTS at creeping girls out.

7 minutes ago, Scotty said:

She seems to know enough about the Otaku stereotype to know that they would be a hindrance to her being able to leave the mall.

I must admit I may not know enough. Sure, there are more cosplayers for "eastern" shows (anime) than western, also they are easier to notice as anime clothes are even more obvious than Superman's bright underwear, but I'm not aware about any behaviour stereotype.

8 minutes ago, Scotty said:

the girl with them might not actually be "with them" in that they're currently fawning over her for possibly resembling an anime character or something.

You mean it may not be deliberate? I'm not sure either, but I think the "Dragon Ball W" guy is looking at the guy with swirly glasses. If it would be like you suggest, they would likely both be looking at the girl.

Note that the one with fake tail might also be girl. Or, in case of very determined fans, the one with skirt and big hair might actually be boy.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I just realized that I want to know more about the cat related abilities that Catalina has.

Can she talk to cats  / hedge-cats? Maybe.

Does she like catnip more?  Maybe.

Is she cool? Да.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, partner555 said:

Did Catalina have a previous experience with otakus?

Her normal appearance suggests a carefully-understated Catgirl done with makeup only. This lot may have even seen her before and speculated about how much better she could do with added props...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, partner555 said:

Did Catalina have a previous experience with otakus?

Enough to know the word when she sees a bunch of them.  That's more than I would get.  I would think, maybe, anime CosPlayers, at best.  Or, more likely, assuming I'm on my I can deal with people drugs, "So, that's what the teens are wearing now.  Huh".  If I'm not on the right drugs and I'm in a busy place my thoughts would be "AHHHHH TOO MANY PEOPLE!!!! MUST FLEE!!!".  Then I would start grinding/clenching teeth hard enough to draw blood.

I don't go out much.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Okay, the one on the right is clearly Dragon Ball based, the girl giving us her back looks like Sailor Moon, The left one seems like a Pokémon? But I don't know what is the guy with swirly glasses cossplaying as. Guess it's related with One-Punch Man, given Dan's commentary. And I'm pretty sure they all four are meant to reference real-life series.

15 hours ago, hkmaly said:

Note that the one with fake tail might also be girl. Or, in case of very determined fans, the one with skirt and big hair might actually be boy.

If he/she's cosplaying as the character's original gender (different of the cosplayer's own gender), it's crossplaying. If he/she's cosplaying the character as a different gender than the original (normally the cosplayer's own gender), it's gender-bend (or gender-swap) cosplaying.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Haylo said:

Her normal appearance suggests a carefully-understated Catgirl done with makeup only. This lot may have even seen her before and speculated about how much better she could do with added props...

Catalina also hangs around Salty Crackers Comics, so she'd get exposed to various flavors of geeky fans there as well.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
59 minutes ago, exterminator said:

If he/she's cosplaying as the character's original gender (different of the cosplayer's own gender), it's crossplaying. If he/she's cosplaying the character as a different gender than the original (normally the cosplayer's own gender), it's gender-bend (or gender-swap) cosplaying.

Yeah, Greg is apparently into crossplay as Dex stated he's seen Greg dressed as Chun Li.

2 minutes ago, ijuin said:

Catalina also hangs around Salty Crackers Comics, so she'd get exposed to various flavors of geeky fans there as well.

Yeah, she mainly goes for the Xena RPGs with the nerd girls though.  But that reminded me that she does have that "sleazy until proven virtuous" attitude towards men, so even though there are girls in the otaku group (or maybe not as hkmaly suggested) Catalina would still not trust the guys to behave well if they notice her.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, hkmaly said:

Note that the one with fake tail might also be girl. Or, in case of very determined fans, the one with skirt and big hair might actually be boy.

I wouldn't necessarily assume the tail is fake (or that the hoodie isn't concealing a tail). It is Moperville.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, TehEpicDuckeh said:

Can she talk to cats  / hedge-cats? Maybe.

Of course she can talk to them. Even Susan can. Question is if she understand them.

9 hours ago, Haylo said:
17 hours ago, partner555 said:

Did Catalina have a previous experience with otakus?

Her normal appearance suggests a carefully-understated Catgirl done with makeup only. This lot may have even seen her before and speculated about how much better she could do with added props...

What makeup? Isn't that natural? :)

Hey - we assume she just comments those are SOME otaku. But she might already talked with them AND they might've recommended her to get cat ears, which she dismissed back then ...

3 hours ago, Scotty said:

she does have that "sleazy until proven virtuous" attitude towards men

... "is that the guy who told me I would look great with cat ears and I called him jackass?" ...

3 hours ago, A.E. Pessimal said:
20 hours ago, hkmaly said:

Note that the one with fake tail might also be girl. Or, in case of very determined fans, the one with skirt and big hair might actually be boy.

I wouldn't necessarily assume the tail is fake (or that the hoodie isn't concealing a tail). It is Moperville.

The tail looks like it's part of the hoodie. Of course that doesn't mean the person doesn't have own tail, possibly inside the fake one (so the hoodie would work as tail-glove or how to call it).

On a related note, HOW is Catalina's tail getting through her clothes? Did it make hole in that sweater? AND pants? Wait ... not in sweater, at least.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Judging by her face and ears in panel two, I'm betting that tail is sticking straight out with bottle-brush fur right now.  Not nearly as easy to hide....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, CritterKeeper said:

Judging by her face and ears in panel two, I'm betting that tail is sticking straight out with bottle-brush fur right now.  Not nearly as easy to hide....

That reminds me of the time where my two cats got into one of their catfights (usually not very serious ones) and they stalked one another with their tails going HUGE. My then wife-to-be was rather shocked by it and exclaimed, "I've never seen them make bottle brush tails before!" And I replied, "They don't do it often! I'm gonna go grab some bottles that need brushing out!"

My wife-to-be did not feel this was wise, and told me so. I agreed and we let the kitties have their wrestling match in peace. So to speak. :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, CritterKeeper said:

...and that sixth end can attack in at least three other ways....

Many a time have I sat at the computer, quietly working, when one of my cats decided I was not paying attention enough to them and walked across my keyboard, leaving havoc on my screen and whacking my face with their tail. For added effect, sometimes the other followed the first one.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Don Edwards said:

Your lady was wise. Cats have six ends and five of them are sharp.

 

25 minutes ago, CritterKeeper said:

...and that sixth end can attack in at least three other ways....

Why do I get this feeling that you know, personally about those 3 ways, and are reminded about them at least once a week.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Don Edwards said:

Your lady was wise. Cats have six ends and five of them are sharp.

 

34 minutes ago, CritterKeeper said:

...and that sixth end can attack in at least three other ways....

 

7 minutes ago, mlooney said:

Why do I get this feeling that you know, personally about those 3 ways, and are reminded about them at least once a week.

Not quite that often, but it's been known to happen.  One reason I keep a spare scrub top in a drawer by my desk.

27 minutes ago, The Old Hack said:

Many a time have I sat at the computer, quietly working, when one of my cats decided I was not paying attention enough to them and walked across my keyboard, leaving havoc on my screen and whacking my face with their tail. For added effect, sometimes the other followed the first one.

Tail is not exactly an attack so I didn't count it.  I will note that my little girlcat has taken to jumping from one dresser to the other, and wrapping her tail around the floor lamp in between them as she goes by, making it wobble dangerously.  I swear she must be at least part monkey, that tail gets such a good grip on the lamp!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this